what should be india's national language?

what should be india's national language.

• english

Votes: 61 34.5%
  • hindi

Votes: 98 55.4%
  • your own mother tongue.

Votes: 18 10.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yamaraj

The Lord of Death
drgrudge said:
Another point of view: What language will you speak to impress a chick? I don't care about chicks or what they might/want to think about me but many "dudes" think it's "cool and suave" to communicate in English.
Exactly my point, as I stated a few posts back. English is considered to be a
modern and 'sexy' language, while most (metropolitans) tend to think of Hindi
as dull and boring. Human behaviour is indeed very complex, and laughable at
times.

BTW, being an alpha male that I am, I don't have to impress the fairer sex.
In stead, I expect them to chase and impress me. ;-)

nikku12982

Broken In
no man i think,
I can Walk in english,I can Talk in English because English is very Funny Language...........source:NAMAK HALAL

It can be only "FUNNY LANGUAGE" not "NATIONAL LANGUAGE". So stop think it again again...........

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
Yamaraj said:
BTW, being an alpha male that I am, I don't have to impress the fairer sex.
In stead, I expect them to chase and impress me.
Me too. I hate "bird watching" when I'm outdoor. Though when I'm on my PC or TV, then I drool over chicks. :D

I like chicks to judge me (or anyone for that matter) by my attitude, behavior and maybe looks rather than whether my wallet is heavy or whether I speak English like Larry King.

mediator

Technomancer
@drgrudge,@mayhem....u r againg repeating what other have already said and I have already replied to such posts and compared it with pepsi,drinks etc....Read them!
Official language is something different from the language u use to speak with loved ones,at home, and ur friends.
Officially u goto office talk in English, wear coat and all western clothes, drink pepsi or champagne there. Do u talk,wear,drink that same thing everywhere??
What do u wear,eat and converse in MArriages?? Even the foreigners get sooo delighted to wear Indian clothes,eat Indian cuisine then. Ask Me! I can write 2-3 pages about it. So u see officially is something very different.

I already said that ENGLISH is the INTERNATIONAL LANGUAGE. It is used to conenct countries with different languages. But tell me .......can u raise ur child imparting him ENGLISH??
Even the foreigners who come here..hire a guide so as to speak with local people indirectly. Then how can that child will survive in ENGLISH alone??

Its OK if u dont want to continue in this debate.....coz I'm bored now....coz nobody is even quoting me 5% of my total posts. I dunno what u r afraid so. I even shortened the points tremendously,removed the examples and repeated them in short thinking that u might read it now and then quote.
But u r not doing that also.

Neways I dunno why cant u understand the simple definition of National language that I'm trying to repeat specially for English supporters here in 5-6 previous posts because of above reasons.

Its Ok ......no one's making Hindi as national language...So dont worry people from T.N! No one's imposing Hindi on you.
But for god sake dont carry on with English as National Language. Its stupid and totally baseless/irrational/absurd! Its ok for offical use and to increase ur CV.

Neways Mods please close this now............coz all English supporters are ignoring my posts! Dunno why!.................Phew! I'm very sad!

EPEACE!

Last edited:

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
mediator said:
@drgrudge,@mayhem....u r againg repeating what other have already said and I have already replied to such posts and compared it with pepsi,drinks etc....Read them!
Yes, I didn't see the posts from page 1 here. Maybe that's y it may be repeated.

mediator said:
Official language is something different from the language u use to speak with loved ones,at home, and ur friends.
Officially u goto office talk in English, wear coat and all western clothes, drink pepsi or champagne there. Do u talk,wear,drink that same thing everywhere??
What do u wear,eat and converse in MArriages?? Even the foreigners get sooo delighted to wear Indian clothes,eat Indian cuisine then. Ask Me! I can write 2-3 pages about it. So u see officially is something very different.
Exactly what I wanted to say. You see I never posted as to what choice I voted.I never "supported" any language. I didn't said that English should be made the National or Official language. I just posted after what Raaabo pointed about.

sourabh_nandi

Right off the assembly line
Hindi, Hindi And Hindi...........no Question About If. Yes We Required English For Business, Local Language For Better Understanding, But We Require Hindi As We R From India Aka Bharat Aka Hindustan.

ranjithbajpe

Journeyman
HINDI HINDI HINDI
But hey U guys ever thought of teching Hindi or your own language (mother toungue) to your computer ??? I mean as my mother toungue is kannada, but only windows XP can display unicode kannada font. What if we are get together and create a software to teach mothertoungur to our pc's? I am not a software engineer. But I think it is important to teach mother toungue to our pcs. Mainly when we think of cyber centers most of the cyber center use only windwos 98, which wont support unicode. There should be some software which installs or update or teach a pc mother toungue and it should be distributed freely.
In between in this forum we can see some of the guys using thier languages in signature, watch mine!!

OP
uttoransen

uttoransen

Broken In
amarica better than india, that post was not made up by me, i have given some points to the poster of that thread to figure out what he can do to improve india's position, not fight on those points,

indians are mentally and phically less fit than the europians, because indians have more people who don't get to eat, who are illetarate. people fight with me on these points, well as for me, i teach people voluntarly, and things like that to make people more mentally fit, by giving education, about food yes, poor people and slum areas are more india than europe, these things counts to fitness, both mentally and phically. this point was miss interpreted by most, anyways don't fight in this issue better try to implove the mental and physical fitness by sharing some knowledge with the poor. and mediator don't mix posts, don't say about that post in this post, so that i don't have to reply things about that post here.

i never said bharis are chor, that's wrong, my sentence meant bhari state govt people are leading when courouption is considered, it dose not mean that the other people who don't get the top spot in courouption be spaired, every couroupt person must be punished.

about the cpm, well, congress was in power for most part till 1991 and the country almost went totally in debts in 1991, and then you will say that this state ment is baseless, then the suggestion will be read economics. and please mediator don't bring politics here, that's not the target of this thread.

ohh.. raabo was here, very well said, money matters, so please be honest and india will develop, but this has nothing to do with national language,

courectly said, hindi is not the naitonal language, it's the official language, now this is baseless or not, read constitution don't ask me, also that this is not my statement, but i will try to do some findings related to this.

i have told that i won't come here, but digit really pulls, anyways, am here to do debate not fight personal fights. anyone who gives personal comments will be violating the terms of this forum, and if you write again that baharis are chor, admins please take care, i have already explained the sentence.

mediator

Technomancer
Yo! Uttora Babu ki Jai ho!
Hey @uttorasen were u sleeping till now? Its been ages now that nebody posted in this thread! I thought were outta this thread.
Nice entry! When nobody's interested in this thread anymore.
The points u made are repeated! I have already replied to such stupid points. Did u care to read the whole thread after u chickened out?
Your post has nothing new,ur team members tried better than u. U said about raabo, he gave a perfect slap to u!....so u better reply to every line of all my posts in a single go if u have the guts to prove them wrong!

U like to repeat things dont u?? and chicken out when the thread is hot or ur not able to reply anymore and return when all r gone??

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
Why Betray so much ? So much hate over language selection. Ok Hindi is India's national language and its got its own reasons.
1) Definatly the most spoken language in India.
2)It also happens to be the Regional language of Six States viz Haryana, Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Madhya Pradesh, Himachal Pradesh.
3)Its one of the oldest if not the oldest dating back to 7 century.
4)It has largest number of Dialects such as Brajbhasha, Bundeli, Awadhi, Marwari, Maithili, Bhojpuri, etc to name a few.
5)But most imporat is that 66% of Indian use hindi in one form or other.
But Fighting for hindi...i had rather accept English ,as there can never be fight for the national language. Its totally individual and one's preference shouldnt be stamped on others.
And Really there is going to be this huge shift from hindi or any other language to English and it cannot be helped.
Here in this forum i'm typing in English for no reason.When was the last time someone answered the forum in hindi(With fonts and all). :)
Seriously English i fear is going to be the language of future if not now and then i had definatly like to ask whatever happened to my national language.
Choose As we may like choosing, we cannot escape English.Still i love My national language , Hindi , even tough i dont need it now a days.We dont dump old pets do we...that tells us what kind of human we are..

mediator

Technomancer
@freshreasons......U gave some good points for English to be official language but not National language! All these points neways are covered!
No matter how far English goes on, no matter how westernised we get but English can never be National Language coz it contradicts the meaning of the term "National".

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
mediator said:
@freshreasons......U gave some good points for English to be official language but not National language! All these points neways are covered!
No matter how far English goes on, no matter how westernised we get but English can never be National Language coz it contradicts the meaning of the term "National".
I never said English to be any national language or anything. READ !!!I said Hindi should be the national language and i gave all the points to prove it. I said English is the language which is growing on us , but we should'nt forget hindi just as we shouldnt dump old pets.I happen to be brown colored indian and that just im and i as may as well live happily with that, proud of it !!!!
P.S: what is this with the points convered thing. Are we playing " whoever repeats get fired and fined".Infact i think i need to repeat coz some people simply dont get what i say.I have added nothing to this post just made my last post clear which was clear in the first place.Talk of nonchalant Repeating.
P.P.S: Do you have exams also for this Post ;-)

mediator

Technomancer
Oh yes! Sorry, didnt see u were voting for hindi on the last line!
freshseasons said:
Are we playing " whoever repeats get fired and fined".
These are called debate ethics bro! Whoever enters a debate cant start afresh in an already going hot debate. He has to consider what others are saying first or have said, and then shud talk.
If u were in a middle of a hot debate "Like Bush is an idiot" and were out of all ur point and everyone was and suddenly a new guy comes and says "Hi, He is not an Idot! Can explain how he is an idiot?".....what will u do? Start over again? or u'll like to deliver a big punch on his face?

Last edited:
D

digit_fan

no national language

we don't need a national language, about official language english will work.

P

Poon

freshseasons said:
Why Betray so much ? So much hate over language selection. Ok Hindi is India's national language and its got its own reasons.
1) Definatly the most spoken language in India.
2)It also happens to be the Regional language of Six States viz Haryana, Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Madhya Pradesh, Himachal Pradesh.
3)Its one of the oldest if not the oldest dating back to 7 century.
4)It has largest number of Dialects such as Brajbhasha, Bundeli, Awadhi, Marwari, Maithili, Bhojpuri, etc to name a few.
5)But most imporat is that 66% of Indian use hindi in one form or other.
But Fighting for hindi...i had rather accept English ,as there can never be fight for the national language. Its totally individual and one's preference shouldnt be stamped on others.
And Really there is going to be this huge shift from hindi or any other language to English and it cannot be helped.
Here in this forum i'm typing in English for no reason.When was the last time someone answered the forum in hindi(With fonts and all). :)
Seriously English i fear is going to be the language of future if not now and then i had definatly like to ask whatever happened to my national language.
Choose As we may like choosing, we cannot escape English.Still i love My national language , Hindi , even tough i dont need it now a days.We dont dump old pets do we...that tells us what kind of human we are..

So what if Hindi is majority. I am from the South and Hindi is more alien to us then English.
Meaning no disrespect to Hindi and North Indian people. I admit to the charge of ignorance on not knowing Hindi and I don't undermine its importance. But the fact is Hindi is as alien to us as English is to Indians. (perhaps more alien). National is something which represents the nation, gives it a symbol. India's symbol is "Unity in Diversity" not mono-culture. We are a multi-lingual nation. National is something everyone has a bonding to.
Imposing Hindi on Southern Indians makes us second class citizens in our own nation.
I suggest Sanskrit should be made the National Language. If Hockey can remain our national sport why not?
Here i would like to distinguish between National and official. What is national need not be official. English should be the official language as it has achieved universal status worldwide and everyone knows its relevance. It is our adopted mother tongue as it has absorbed words from different languages. (eg. Jungle from Hindi)
Anyone who objects then remove your kids from English medium schools.
India is a democracy and ought to recognise the right of minorities. In a democracy you cannot pass rules to favour a majority at the expense of a minority.
But Does this mean we have to let English dominate our nation when it is spoken by only 1% (10 million) of our countries population? Should we measure people's intellectual ability based on his/her quality of English?

However a minority should not betray itself from a majority.

If as Indians if we want to feel at home in any part of India we ought to learn Hindi and as Southerner's we cannot be ignorant of it. Why do we have to hate a language unecessarily.

The very education system of our country because it is in English makes us forget our mother tongue and creates further inequalities and de-stratification of our society.
Education in India should and must be in our mother-tongue right through.
English should be part of our education and not the means of our education. The quality and standard of English we have today is phenomenal and something to be proud of (in fact many of us can speak english better then Englishmen). If edu. is in our mother tongue at no stage would we forget English. Of course some may argue that Science and technology is in English. But what about all the indigenous knowledge in local languages we have in India? By learning science one would be able to learn English. If in English all the scientific terms are taken from latin why can't we do the same?

Now the obvious question put forward is that if we have each state start teaching it's people in it's mother tongue how the hell would we have Unity?
What people don't realise is that Uniformity does not cause unity. Imposing Hindi down our people's throat's will in fact cause more problems. It makes us feel more insecure of our language and culture and dominance of Northern culture on us (which is allready insecure due to English).
"Unity in diversity"- that is the banner India should go under we are a continent like Europe. If they could come together under the banner Euro without a real link language why not us? Do we have to give up the beauty of our languages for the sake of one common language? Are we trying to create mono-culture at the expense of the diversity present in our country.
Unfortunately English education (not English language) is uprooting us from our roots and culture.

Last edited by a moderator:
P

Poon

Sanskrit should be the national language and to all the Brown Sahibs of the country who want to push English don't realise that only 1-5% of our pop. speak English and it is this very education system resulting in growing inequalities. Education should be in our mother-tongues right from school till college. english can be taught as an additional subject. The amount of literature and books we have in India and the quality of English that exists will ensure that people won't forget it.
Uniformity does not cause unity. What is national need not be official. The problem why there is so much chaos about this whole issue is because people are insecure of their language and culture. Fortunately we are democracy otherwise Hindi would have been imposed on us by India's Nazi hindu aryans. They claim they hate the muslims but they are proud of the Tajmahal and butter chicken.
The Urdu hindu controversy is similar to the national language controversy. Northern Indians are ignorant of Southern Indian languages. I respect their feelings of not wanting English. Who ever wants English as our national language can please leave India and go to America, Australia, England NZ etc.
English should never and can never be our national language. But neither should hindi and as long as you try to push for it I will oppose it.
I agree I am guilty of not knowing Hindi but u can't make us second class citizen's in our own country. The only way to strenghten democratic processes in India is to make education available in our mother-tongues. Ofcourse this may not easy to do nor can it be done over-night. We need time to make it competent so as to match English.
If we keep going at the current rate of educating ourself in English we will be alienating ourself from our own country and will understand rural areas and rural people even lesser. For them it is very difficult to learn English but Hindi is as foreign.
I oppose the idea put forward that this issue should not be discussed as it creates friction and more problems. It has to be discussed so as to arrive at a solution, it is only our short-comings and biasis to our own languages causing problems.

Last edited by a moderator:

mediator

Technomancer
sankrit is ur opinion, I respect it n agree with the rest unquoted n unreplied by me here!

poon said:
What is national need not be official
That's opposite I think!

poon said:
Northern Indians are ignorant of Southern Indian languages
U think so? Thats a false notion most South Indans have!

poon said:
English should never and can never be our national language. But neither should hindi and as long as you try to push for it I will oppose it.
Completely agree abt English! But Hindi can be/ may be in future, I'm not saying to impose it! Any Indian Language can be a national LAnguage!

poon said:
Fortunately we are democracy otherwise Hindi would have been imposed on us by India's Nazi hindu aryans. They claim they hate the muslims but they are proud of the Tajmahal and butter chicken.
So u have the misconceptions about Aryans too ?? U need to read the following in detail.

*www.geocities.com/dipalsarvesh/indexAryan.html
*www.geocities.com/dipalsarvesh/aryan0.html

*www.hindubooks.org/david_frawley/myth_aryan_invasion/aryan_as_race_or_language/page1.htm
The Aryan invasion theory is based upon the idea that Aryan represents a particular group of people. In the classical view of the Aryan invasion the Aryans are a particular ethnic group, speaking a particular language. However in Vedic literature Aryan is not the name of the Vedic people and their descendants. It is a title of honor and respect given to certain groups for good or noble behavior. In this regard even the Buddha calls his teaching Aryan, Arya Dharma; the Jains also call themselves Aryans, as did the ancient Persians. For this reason one should call the Vedic people simply the "Vedic people" and not the Aryans. If one takes Aryan in the Vedic sense it would not be like talking of the invasion of good people, as if goodness were a racial or linguistic quality!

Development of Aryan Invasion Idea
European scholars following Max Muller in the nineteenth century decided that the Vedic people whom they called the Aryans after a misinterpretation of that Vedic term - invaded India around 1500 BC. They were said to have overthrown the primitive and aboriginal culture of the time, which was thought to be Dravidian in nature, and brought a more advanced civilization to the land (though they themselves were still regarded as barbarians). The indigenous aborigines were identified as the Dasyus or inimical people mentioned in the Vedas.

The rationale behind the late date for the Vedic culture given by Muller was totally speculative and based only on linguistic grounds.

So read the links in detail to have any misconception in ur mind removed !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom