what should be india's national language?

what should be india's national language.

• english

Votes: 61 34.5%
  • hindi

Votes: 98 55.4%
  • your own mother tongue.

Votes: 18 10.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

sknowonweb

Journeyman
The day English becomes the national language in this country, the Parliament
will burn down, constitution will be rewritten and the politicians will all be hanged.
The same thing happens in TN the moment Hindi is announced as a national language .

Yamaraj

The Lord of Death
sknowonweb said:
The same thing happens in TN the moment Hindi is announced as a national language .
Sorry to burst the bubble, but Hindi is already our national and official language.

Apollo

"Technologic"
Staff member
The voting thus far is quite an indicator.

Never thought this thread would attract so much attention. :D To reiterate what I said earlier, Hindi is the national language as far as I'm concerned. However to empathize with our brethren from southern India, I can observe that Hindi isn't much popular there. I don't know much about their school curriculum, but don't they have Hindi as a compulsory/optional language to study?

Also I'm curious to know why there should be a political/social fiasco over the announcement of Hindi as the national language. Any factual pointers on such past incidents in the South?

sknowonweb

Journeyman
Yamaraj said:
Sorry to burst the bubble, but Hindi is already our national and official language.
Nope .. There is no national language mentioned in the languages section of the constitution. It only specifies Hindi the Official language ( for north ) and English the Co Official language ( due to south ) . And there is no language declared as " national " .
google for Anti-Hindi agitation .

mediator

Technomancer
mayhem said:
Universal in the sense its applicable to India and not World.
Wow....u trying to change ur statement now?? Anyways in this meaning of urs....Hindi is most Universal. Cant the poll results alone tell u that??
Dont u tell too the poll is manupulated...coz that wud be childish! I guess u guys must be jumping high if no north Indian and hindi supporter hadnt taken part in this debate.

mayhem said:
Just look a little left,and u can see my Location.At the moment i am laughing at u
Oh! A punjabi supporting English thats the first Punjabi in this debate supporting English! Anyways u got sooo excited and happy that I didnt see ur location! Huh?? Common boy.

mayhem said:
I think thats more applicable to u,with all those figures from various sources.
What various sources?? I just inserted one source till now ( unlike u putting different definitions to fullfill ur needs and saying "Oh this doesnt satisfy Hindi, but other one does") ! Cant u see that properly?? Do u have reading problem??

mayhem said:
Instead of LOL just put a little stress on ur brain a little more,sochoo?
Hey boy...Instead of emphasisng on this why dont u use ur brains and quote and emphasise the rest of my previous posts?? Is it too hard for u?? Neways here u cud have emphasised on my point too on which u quoted instead of correcting the lol. Where is it??
Are u getting frustrated coz I cant see u fighting against my points!

mayhem said:
We the people of India
Ofcors it reads in English for people like u who dont know hindi! Somewhere it is also written "Jai Hind,swatantra Bharat etc etc". Dont make childish posts like this please.

mayhem said:
Wow...and u voice support for english!...cant u tell??, even a child can.

mayhem said:
I think they were writting constitution for India so that mean it was for Indians :ROFLMO:.
Actually its ROFLMAO...hahaah!
Neways how does this reply connect to the post of mine u quoted?? I see u cant get meaning of my post written in most simple english and grammer. Thats pathetic and still u say "English"?
Neways if constitution at the time of Britshers was being writen in english for foreigners then the same was being writen in Hindi too for Indians. So u cant say constitution was written in English alone!

*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_national_languages_of_India
Read this!

Its says
Code:
The Constitution of India has stipulated the usage of Hindi and English to be the two languages of communication for the Central (Federal) government.
And u say only English usage in constitution??

Code:
Out of the 28 states and 7 union territories, only 10 states and 3 union territories have Hindi as the principal official language.
Tell any other Indian Language having such majority!

Code:
English to the state of Tamil Nadu and this state communicates back in Tamil and English.
Code:
However, due to protests from South Indian states where there is low Hindi penetration, the "twin language" system is still in vogue.
I can seee that protest! But only from peope mainly from T.N!!

mayhem said:
All those 800 languages hv orignated in india only,And they r not spoken by majority.So why r not they Our National Language(s)
Why are u asking me such question?? If u wanna get enlightened then ask the people/electors/leaders who chose Hindi as national language! Now I didnt elect it as national language.
U wanna change hindi??...go ahead...no problem! Make it Punjabi or Tamil or whateva but shud be of Indian origin atleast !

mayhem said:
Thats the only onething u did "Quote".
Are u blind? Or is that another joke?? Anyways what does "ONLY ONETHING" means?? Correct ur english first boy!

drgrudge said:
Who said that *all* people can understand Hindi in TN?
Yea I do apologise for that! Thats a mistake. Let me edit that post...must have typed that "all" thing by mistake. But read all my other earlier posts and I have said "some" there instead of "all"! In tamil speaking state,all cant speak hindi. Thats a clear mistake. Dont make big issue of it! Thanx for correcting this anyway or else other english supporters wud have been making a big deal of it....instead of looking at my other posts!
So do I contradict now?
Anyways try to find some more mistakes from my other posts too! That will surely make me happy.

drgrudge said:
lol, how will I know for other states. That 20-25% was my estimation. By no means it'll be dead right on the spot.
Ofcors. Thats why all the people who dont know about the rest of country dont have right to speak too that hindi doesnt exist there and English spoken there! Even if English may in near future..then whats the big deal about it?? Its not Indian at all to be called NAtional!

vyasram said:
some ppl cant understand jokes
This is no place for jokes. Create another thread and make as many jokes as u can!

vyasram said:
and yeah i am afraid of reading another 1 km long post by you
Take ur time...i'll be waiting when u have read it!

vyasram said:
i cant do that coz i am an indian cricket team fan and dd alone telecasts some matches and give commentary in hindi. they sd give english commentary or atleast give the rights to some other channel if they really condiser the south indians .
Ofcors!

vyasram said:
imagine how frustrated u wd be if they screw up a 300 run chase with a commentary in a lang that u dont understand
Ofcors I will. But then again that shud be taken care of dubbing people on channels. If hindi is understood 1st by majority and then english understood second...then what else do u expect them to give commentry in??

@led_shankar....I though u left the place?? What happened?

sknowonweb said:
Why cant u just see for whole India. Why just u consider about ur state only??
I cant find people from all other states saying that hindi is not spoken or understood there. The only people who are voicing their concerns are from T.N and yea only one from Punjab and one from Bengal (but he quitted already)!
Who knows that there may be people from T.N who might have voted for Hindi here...but didnt enter the debate. Anyways I know persoanlly a lotta people from T.N who wont mind hindi as national language.
I dont have enmity with u guys. But atleast vote for some Indian Language to be national instead english.
OFFICIAL LANGUAGE AND NATIONAL LANGUAGE HAVE DIFFERENT MEANINGS. And the link which I presented also says Hindi is an official language too!

Good to see many people quoting me now! But take care of my earlier posts tooo. They were left untouched!
Also good to see many Hindi opposers here but most are from T.N....now this is going like real battlefield. I like that. But still the poll has Hindi on the rise! There are so many hindi opposers here...and still some think the poll is manipulated!

Last edited:

mAYHEM

Journeyman
@sknowonweb Thx for the Information m8
Check this:*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindi
Hindi is Official Language of Union Of India along with English and not National.
So all those saying English baseless,foriegn...it has got equall status as that of Hindi along with local official languages.
Check this also *lawmin.nic.in/legislative/Art243-395 (89-184pp).doc (Part XVII And PART XXII
for my m8 @player)

Last edited:

led_shankar

In Shamful Mystery
@mediator: Im here only to lurk. I am still interested; Plus I want to see whether or not this thread will go the Ganesh immersion way ;)

No offense

mediator

Technomancer
No man...It wont go.....unless someone really offends/hurts the feelings of Indians.
And please erase that "ganesh immersion thread" from ur memory. Its history now.

Last edited:

led_shankar

In Shamful Mystery
^ I was pretty badly affected by that thread; Anyway, sorry.

And P.S. No one replied to my statement about the national language being mostly a non-issue (except, to some extent, mediator)

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
Vyasram said:
some ppl cant understand jokes
and yeah i am afraid of reading another 1 km long post by you :D

btw my serious stance is still with english.

abt that changing tv channel when they show hindi stuff

i cant do that coz i am an indian cricket team fan and dd alone telecasts some matches and give commentary in hindi. they sd give english commentary or atleast give the rights to some other channel if they really condiser the south indians .

imagine how frustrated u wd be if they screw up a 300 run chase with a commentary in a lang that u dont understand

Go learn Hindi. If you can learn English, Hindi won't be a big problem.

Otherwise live with it.

I'm pretty sure you'd love to learn French, German, Spanish or even Portuguese. What's with the prejudice against Hindi? Give me 1 good reason for NOT learning your national language.

There was a saying in Hindi..

'Dhobi ka kutta, na ghar ka na ghaat ka'.

mAYHEM

Journeyman
mediator said:
Wow....u trying to change ur statement now?? Anyways in this meaning of urs....Hindi is most Universal.
In Post #33
mediator said:
Code:
if someone wanna learn a language learn the Universal language a.k.a ENGLISH
Now thats for international thing....and we are speaking of national.
mediator said:
Dont u tell too the poll is manupulated...coz that wud be childish! I guess u guys must be jumping high if no north Indian and hindi supporter hadnt taken part in this debate
Nothing looks like a Debate other than a posts filled with words like stupid,childish.....

mediator said:
Cant u see that properly?? Do u have reading problem??
R u debating,I am not sure.

mediator said:
I cant see u fighting against my points
I though we were Debating

mediator said:
Ofcors it reads in English for people like u who dont know hindi! Somewhere it is also written "Jai Hind,swatantra Bharat etc etc"
I think thats Called Translation

mediator said:
Actually its ROFLMAO...hahaah!
That was a typo mistake.Chk ur post for typos...Now should i too Write that HAHAHAHAHA

mediator said:
Neways if constitution at the time of Britshers was being writen in english for foreigners then the same was being writen in Hindi too for Indians. So u cant say constitution was written in English alone!
On 29 Aug 1947 Constituent Assembly appointed a drafting committee whose chairman was Dr. Ambedkar to frame the Constitution and was implemented on 26 Jan 1950.

Was Constitution Written In English:

Article 394A. Authoritative text in the Hindi language.-(1) The President shall cause to be published under his authority,-
(a) the translation of this Constitution in the Hindi language, signed by the members of the Constituent Assembly, with such modifications as may be necessary to bring it in conformity with the language, style and terminology adopted in the authoritative texts of Central Acts in the Hindi language, and incorporating therein all the amendments of this Constitution made before such publication; and
(b) the translation in the Hindi language of every amendment of this Constitution made in the English language.
(2) The translation of this Constitution and of every amendment thereof published under clause (1) shall be construed to have the same meaning as the original thereof and if any difficulty arises in so construing any part of such translation, the President shall cause the same to be revised suitably.
(3) The translation of this Constitution and of every amendment thereof published under this article shall be deemed to be, for all purposes, the authoritative text thereof in the Hindi language.
394A. Authoritative text in the Hindi language.-(1) The President shall cause to be published under his authority,-
(a) the translation of this Constitution in the Hindi language, signed by the members of the Constituent Assembly, with such modifications as may be necessary to bring it in conformity with the language, style and terminology adopted in the authoritative texts of Central Acts in the Hindi language, and incorporating therein all the amendments of this Constitution made before such publication; and
(b) the translation in the Hindi language of every amendment of this Constitution made in the English language.

mediator said:
And u say only English usage in constitution??
Is n't there any difference between Contitution and Fedral Government

mediator said:
Code:
Out of the 28 states and 7 union territories, only 10 states and 3 union territories have Hindi as the principal official language.
Tell any other Indian Language having such majority!
So a official language of 10 states+ 3UT's becomes National Language.

mediator said:
Why are u asking me such question?? If u wanna get enlightened then ask the people/electors/leaders who chose Hindi as national language! Now I didnt elect it as national language.
Nor did they elected Hindi as National Language.

mediator said:
Are u blind? Or is that another joke?? Anyways what does "ONLY ONETHING" means??
Man do you talk like this too everyone...r u debating or fighting.

mediator said:
I cant find people from all other states saying that hindi is not spoken or understood there. The only people who are voicing their concerns are from T.N and yea only one from Punjab and one from Bengal (but he quitted already)!
U visit Punjab(not Chd) and ask anyone that did he liked Hindi,they will enlighten u.

mediator said:
Good to see many people quoting me now! But take care of my earlier posts tooo. They were left untouched!
In ur Previou Posts u wrote
mediator said:
Can u question why is Hindi is my mother tongue??
NXT
mediator said:
But I dont give a damn if other language becomes national language....
Nor does Other.

Hindi is not the National Language of India"There is a law which basically says no language can be made the National Language unless and until all the constituent states of the Union of India accept it"

mediator

Technomancer
@mayhem......man why are u quoting the end results that speak how childish u r?? Why r u not quotting the real meaning embedded in those posts...u getting frustrated now like @uttorasen. I created such a nice post...proved ur statement wrong on "Indian constition written in English only"+"English as sole official language"+"Enlightened u of meaning of National langauge"....and all u do is correcting me on words as "LOL etc"?? Even the mod/god of the forums use LOL here.

mayhem said:
R u debating,I am not sure
Oh wow.....So many replies i posted here. Many supported them while a few opposed them. And here u r crying frustratingly i aint debate. Thats is very demoralising u know. Now who made @uttora chicken out?
I thought i'll be debating with u solely. but looks like u dont have guts to fight on real issue here and all u r posting here is to correct the word lol/childish/are we debating/typo mistake blablabla.

I had big expectations from u that may be u'll quote every single line from all my posts and will atleast try to correct the meaning embedded in those posts. Guess I was wrong about u!

mayhem said:
I think thats Called Translation
Yea...And it was translated to Hindi coz majority spoke hindi!
What else language cud foreigners write in the constitution???

mayhem said:
That was a typo mistake.Chk ur post for typos...Now should i too Write that HAHAHAHAHA
Ofcors u shud write too....atleast u'll read all my posts that way!!

mayhem said:
Article 394A. Authoritative text in the Hindi language.-(1) The President shall cause to be published under his authority,-
(2) The translation of this Constitution and of every amendment thereof published under clause (1) shall be construed to have the same meaning as the original thereof and if any difficulty arises in so construing any part of such translation, the President shall cause the same to be revised suitably.
(3) The translation of this Constitution and of every amendment thereof published under this article shall be deemed to be, for all purposes, the authoritative text thereof in the Hindi language.
394A. Authoritative text in the Hindi language.-(1) The President shall cause to be published under his authority,-
a) Why did they chose hindi?? Wasnt there any Indian from T.N ??
b) Same......And for being written in English initially I told that myself, gave u the link, some points in previous post and somemore in this above! If chinese had invaded India...cud the constitution be writen in English then?? What wud u have said then.....Support for Chinese??
(2) Same meaning
(3)"the authoritative text thereof in the Hindi language"......Guess u urself now trying to support Hindi..bless u!
(a) same meaning as aboves
(b) same topic of translation.....same same same as aboves! Englih <-> Hindi translation!

mahem said:
Is n't there any difference between Contitution and Fedral Government
Hey man first u bring constitution...and now when i proved u wrong u bring federal govt too? Kindly tell me in advance what all areas u'll be bringing afresh in the already going hot debate. U'll never learn! Oooofff!

mayhem said:
So a official language of 10 states+ 3UT's becomes National Language.
I say yes...what do u say?? I u say no then support that statement too! Hindi is my choice..... if u wanna support some other Indian language then please do so.It will be non of my concerns. But atleast name some Indian orginating language to be called NAtional.

mayhem said:
Nor did they elected Hindi as National Language.
So? Atleast they were sane that they did not add English after achieving Independence. But here u r again trying to make foreigners happy!

mayhem said:
Man do you talk like this too everyone...r u debating or fighting.
Just telling u to improve ur English before supporting it! Well u can do same for hindi...learn it little with full of errors and then voice support for it!

mayhem said:
U visit Punjab(not Chd) and ask anyone that did he liked Hindi,they will enlighten u.
Thats why i tell u to reeeeeeaaaad every single line of all my posts! Liking/Disliking is something different from being able to speak it or understand it! I also know Punjabi,Thai a little but then I can also hate it. Whats the relevance of hating a language here?
I hate speaking in Engish with my loved ones.

mayhem said:
Hindi is not the National Language of India"There is a law which basically says no language can be made the National Language unless and until all the constituent states of the Union of India accept it"
Of cors its not!! But the constitution doesnt refer to any foriegn langauge in such text/statements! The confusion is between various Indian Languages. Not with Non-indian language like English! get it??

Neways u havent posted/replied/quoted even 5% of all mah posts! What r u doing?? Please man.....I wanna fight! And dont want to repeat same stories,facts,poll results for specially u. I wanna move forward and wanna make some new entries and thats possible only if opponent quotes all the points! Please quote. May be u can find something new to oppose me! My earlier 3-6 posts were left untouched!

Anyways lets stop making use of words as childish coz ur completeing ur entries here only with such words and nothing new! Neways if u want to use these words then be my guest...but please repy to the meaning embedded in the posts and then write words like childish to make urself happy!

EPEACE!

Last edited:

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
@mediator- Good job mate! But, unfortunately these ppl won't understand.

What do we say in Hindi..

'Bhains ke samne been bajana' :)

SolidSnake

Broken In
Ab mahaul ko kuchh halka-phulka karne ke liye pesh-e-khidmat hai...

*img425.imageshack.us/img425/2431/hindimeaningofsomewordyz9.jpg

:))

Raaabo

The Dark Lord
Staff member
Admin
National language? It's neither English, nor Hindi, nor any other language. Sadly, because of the population, poverty, corruption and illiteracy, the good old Rupee is our national language. You need it to bribe your way into any place, you need it to bribe officials to get work done, to get ahead of the other waiting billion, to get into schools, colleges, to get almost anything that everyone in other countries takes for granted.

It’s the reason why people who have never been to school hold BSC degrees, or why our roads are so bad, or the reason why people come from all over india to overcrowd the few metros… it’s everything.

Money means everything to most people, and some even worship it. I think it’s stupid to have a “National Language”, because it attempts to highlight the differences between people, just like religion, castes, quotas and everything else that’s designed to segregate the rich from the poor, the Hindus from the Muslims, etc.

If you voted for English, it’s stupid because over 90 percent of India doesn’t speak it. Most of India has a non-Hindi speaking populous as well. It’s just a ridiculous category.

National Sport – good; national bird – good; national flag – good; national animal – good; national language – ridiculous!

I say scrap the title, and let’s live up to our secular intentions.

Raaabo

PS: I hate the whole state slogans that I have noticed in this thread. Grow up, you are Indian first, and last. This whole state thing is ridiculous – like your politicians are any better than those in other states, like your infrastructure and poverty problems differ from any other place in India…

mediator

Technomancer
@Raaabo....Thats what I have been trying to tell them (The English supporters) about the English and hindi. But they think the situation in whole India is like T.N.

I know that the discussion on this topic is also useless and will create differences. BUt voting and telling ur opinion is OK.
But now voting for a non-Indian language to be voted as National is stupid. For official purpose,calling it INTERNATIONAL Language .....its OK and can be voted number 1 or number 2 whateva.
But no English supporter here understands the meaning of Indianism or National Language. i.e the Language that originated in India to be called National..

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
Raaabo is correct. Screw this national or official language debates. Be patriotic, respect your mother tongue, wage long battles in debates like this one, but all that won't take you anywhere if you don't adapt to what your business needs.

Will any company (MNCs or IT/ITES or whatever) recruit you if you don't know English? Because their business needs English. They recruit you for the skills you you'll impart. Heck, even if you want to do your PG in business management (MBA/PGDBM) they look at how well you communicate (read :talk English well). This happens in the "INDIAN" Institutes of Management (IIMs).

What language do they "use" in the courts? Be it the Apex Supreme court or High courts of the state, English is only used.

Another point of view: What language will you speak to impress a chick? I don't care about chicks or what they might/want to think about me but many "dudes" think it's "cool and suave" to communicate in English.

We can take a leaf from China's model. All their things from websites to sign boards to their language, they use only Chinese. Why? It's perfect for them. I think no one should complaint on the language and things like that. We need to move on and think of what we need. If my business needs Tamil, I'll want to go on with it without caring about the national/official language. If my recruiter needs French, then I'll want to pursue French.

praka123

left this forum longback
i think now china also promotes English as they prepare for Olympics and also for BPO jobs:rolleyes:. English is and always be the Universal Language.its up2 ppl 2 learn which language they wants.for eg;Kannadigas loves(most i've seen) learning many languages like hindi,tamil.telegu etc.while in T.N u wont see that mentality though they r ready to speak in English if they can.

mAYHEM

Journeyman
The Topic Was"What Should Be India's National Language?"

I say English.*img125.echo.cx/img125/3937/01nocomment8so.gif

I wiill try to Learn a language thats Universal (India and World),thats English

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom