what should be india's national language?

what should be india's national language.

• english

Votes: 61 34.5%
  • hindi

Votes: 98 55.4%
  • your own mother tongue.

Votes: 18 10.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

mediator

Technomancer
@led_shankar......no bro! Believe me atleast all the Indian languages are from Sanskrit...may be the world too. Ask ur elders,ur grandma,ur great grandma, some sanskrit scholar or even the researchers on Indian history. I can bet on this one. Only the accent,dialects have changed. But if u'll try to connect them....u'll know urself! But lets forget it.....its a different issue and not connected with this debate!!

Last edited:

praka123

left this forum longback
English needs to be the national language.
i cant understand y u ppl cant think about south.I know that people from north are not aware of the conditions in south.they most probably come to B'lore or Hyderabad or other big towns and they r very happy to find the shopkeeper replying in Hindi!then assumes that all knows hindi and pretending that they dont.U know one thing FYI,In my city cochin/ernakulam only 2/3 days will a hindi film plays normally also theatre will be empty:mrgreen: JFYI,have ur minds really opened towards south and understand south is much diffrnt.
@mail2and:the no of hindi speakers are not at ALL needed here.i said poll is manipulated in the sense ppl voting for Hindi dont know the exact level of penetration of hindi.i dont want ur lessons on maths or grammer classes and quoting 3rd level proverbs in hindi :mad:
I don't see any difference between you and the people who blew up trains in Mumbai.
Pathetic u r .i tried saying and arguing for truth.but no use with hindi fanatics.
@mediator:i dont want 2 argue with u.I'll be in opensource. ;)

mediator

Technomancer
@prakash.......About the post being manipulated....thats really absurd/irrational ! Are the mods of this forum biased against u or the south Indians?? That was soo childsish. If u dont like Hindi then say straight forward. If dont want it to become national language then say it straight forward. But stop making such childish posts.

Man I have great respect for u.....so I dont wanna say anything for u like i said for @uttorasen! I'll rather quit this debate.

But it really makes me sad that such a noble guy like u are making such baseless/absurd statements!!
I have covered mostly all the south in past years. And many T.N people understand hindi and some speak too! My uncle is south Indian.....so sometimes I visit south. So dont tell like anyone dont know about the situation in South. Instead I think ur the one who needs to tour the whole of India.

And please as I said (I'm tired now) please vote for some Indian(one orginated in India) language to be national language. But still u say English?? Cant u understand a simple point?? Ok vote for tamil...but please stop talking abt english for god sake!

prakash_kerala said:
i cant understand y u ppl cant think about south
Bro......Nobody must be thinking about south like we north Indians do. Just come to the north...u'll find urself. And in this debate only I got to know that u south Indians do regionalism over Hindi and hate north Indians! Its about an year now for my revisit to T.N. But is that true??
If u wanna oppose me....then its alright.....quote each single line from all my posts here...coz I see u have not quoted or replied to even 10 percent of all my total posts here!

Neways U have made a great repute here in this forums....and joined it earlier than I did. But then dont let that repute go to waste and others mocking u in near future like @uttoransen by posting baseless/absurd/irrational replies!
I dont want to go after u like @uttora........coz i dont want ppl laughing at u too!
Neways I'll tend to ignore ur posts I guess. Maybe other Hindi supporters and english opposers can take care of u! But please read al my posts and think about it for a second!

Last edited:

SolidSnake

Broken In
I think we should be pround of our languages. Be it Europeans (non UK)/East Asians/South Americans/Africans/Arabs, they are all fiercely proud of their languages. I used to work in a Danish NGO and everytime two Danes met, the conversation was always in Danish, you wouldn't see any non-(native)-English speaking country so mad about English as we are. The utility of English is vastly exaggerated, a Nation does not need English to progress other wise many of African Countries would have been economic powerhouse. Infact we would have been better off if English had been kicked out immedietely after Independence.

Why don't we use our languages for everything, be it administration, education, judicial system. Why don't we translate Science, Maths, Medical Science books in our languages, it is not Rocket Science. Ideally Hindi should be connecting language among various states of India with each state using its own language. We should also make students (for example from North) learn other Indian languages (and vice versa), we should also teach them more about other states/cultures, we all are so ignorant about each other. We hardly know about our Country.

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
SolidSnake said:
I think we should be pround of our languages. Be it Europeans (non UK)/East Asians/South Americans/Africans/Arabs, they are all fiercely proud of their languages. I used to work in a Danish NGO and everytime two Danes met, the conversation was always in Danish, you wouldn't see any non-(native)-English speaking country so mad about English as we are. The utility of English is vastly exaggerated, a Nation does not need English to progress other wise many of African Countries would have been economic powerhouse. Infact we would have been better off if English had been kicked out immedietely after Independence.

Why don't we use our languages for everything, be it administration, education, judicial system. Why don't we translate Science, Maths, Medical Science books in our languages, it is not Rocket Science. Ideally Hindi should be connecting language among various states of India with each state using its own language. We should also make students (for example from North) learn other Indian languages (and vice versa), we should also teach them more about other states/cultures, we all are so ignorant about each other. We hardly know about our Country.

Very good post.

We can also take the example of America. Most people there speak English. But, in the former Spanish colonies, Spanish is the more dominant language. But, still English remains their primary and national language.

If we can speak English, it should be a value addition to our CV and not something which we should force down on any other person's throat.

@ Anti-hindi guys
On the other hand, Hindi is an Indian language spoken by over half the population and understood by over 70% as I had mentioned in my previous posts which 'anti-Hindi pro-English backside lickers' conveniently chose to ignore. If you have a point, then I challenge you to quote each and every single line of what I have posted and THEN reply to each single point rather than picking and choosing whatever you like.

My mother tongue is Punjabi, but I can't speak a word of Punjabi. I've always been taught to converse in Hindi at home.

The point is that prejudiced people don't go anywhere in life. In 2006, these people talk about regionalism. That's why i don't find any difference between such people and the terrorists who carry out dastardly activities.

mAYHEM

Journeyman
mediator said:
Still? Did u read all the posts of this debate?? U came rocking like @uttorasen...made ur statement...Do u know how many people now will laugh at u too as they laughed at @uttora??
I guess U aint read from the start.....thats why u still have a chance to change ur post......Go and read from the start, quote each line from post of every one who oppose English, tell ur reasons for opposing and then say that u like English still!
But if dont change ur opinion then I challenge u to continue here,fight like a man for ur word/statement......and dont chicken out like @uttorasen(the creator of this thread)! Wating for ur next post anxiously....
More of @uttorasen than debate.

mediator said:
Then u'll chicken out as well like @uttorasen!
*smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Happy/happy-080.gif
mediator said:
Thats why I give u a chance to change ur opinion...change it to some other Indian language or whateva. I wont mind that....But if u still voice support for English then u'll have to deal with me for 4-5 pages more!! Believe me!!
I changed my Opinion to........English

*s23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/Marcster2005/Smileypad/Threads/hijack.gif

utkarsh-techy

Broken In
well lets see english may be a populer language but the roots shall not be forgotten and that is why hindi should be the national language

mAYHEM

Journeyman
utkarsh-techy said:
well lets see english may be a populer language but the roots shall not be forgotten and that is why hindi should be the national language
Hindi is not the root of every Indian.Hindi is itself a branch.

mediator

Technomancer
mayhem said:
More of @uttorasen than debate.
How?? Please explain in detail. Dont make frustrated allegations man.
Hmmmm....So do u promise to play with me till the end??
Lets start....lemme play with u now!

mayhem said:
Hindi is spoken in North-Western India bcoz it has similarities with local languages.
What such a thing came in ur dreams?? Its like u saying stupidily that English is spoke in America only and not any other country!

mayhem said:
English is more Universal Language than Hindi
Universal?? *www2.ignatius.edu/faculty/turner/languages.htm
It says
Code:
   1.  Chinese* (937,132,000)
   2. Spanish (332,000,000)
   3. English (322,000,000)
   4. Bengali (189,000,000)
   5. Hindi/Urdu (182,000,000)
   6. Arabic* (174,950,000)
   7. Portuguese (170,000,000)
   8. Russian (170,000,000)
   9. Japanese (125,000,000)
  10. German (98,000,000)
  11. French* (79,572,000)
What next......Will u say chinese now?? ROFLMAO!!
See hindi is 5th even though its confined to Indians only! And English spoken by many in world. From this cant u clearly see how much Hindi is spoken and understood in India??

mayhem said:
It depends on the common man from where he is.
I dunno if ur a common man here. Anyways where are u from?? America?? And just stopped here to cry for English?? Go to America and tell em that ur going to make English India's national Language. They will laugh at u!
India has become world's pride man. Dont destroy it!

mayhem said:
Code:
A national language is a language (or language variant, i.e. dialect) which uniquely represents the national identity of a nation or country. A national language is used for political and legal discourse and so designated by a country's government.
Hindi doesn't fits the above two cases.
English fits the second case.
Code:
A national language is not to be confused with the predominant language, which is spoken by the majority of people from within a country's borders.
Thats pathetic! Will u search the whole net and find different definitions that will suit ur post?? And then later say this doesnt fit that and it fits into other?? Thats soooooooooo stupid just like @uttorasen's post.

mayhem said:
That says all
Lol! The different definitions clearly vote for Hindi. Common find more various different definitions that may suit ur post. Lets see what else u can do.

vyasram said:
enough, how abt developing a single hybrid of all the langs in the world so that all ppl will accept it. btw i dont see that happenning
why are u changing ur stance?? Stick to English now and fight for it! U afraid of something??

mayhem said:
Our laws and Constitution r in English why were they not written in Hindi or any other Local Language.
Oh so u read toooo?? Then where is quotations for my posts??
Anyways who said constitution is in English?? There are copies for Hindi tooooooo. And it was written in 50 yrs back when most Indians didnt know English and less than 1% spoke English.
So how did they read about constitution?? And who told u Indian constitution was written in English for Indians?? @Uttorasen?... or u had another dream??

Neways u quoted only 1 post of mine and that too in which I was not in action and was requesting u humbly to read something....All My posts!

So where are quotations on my posts???? IS it too hard for u not to quote each and every single line of all my posts?? Or dont have the guts to prove them wrong??

I proved the above posts of urs wrong....now its ur turn!

And now I wud like u to make a quote on the definition of NAtional Language that I know......I know u wont read my previous posts ....may be u too are afraid of quoting them and opposing them! Thats why i Do it specially for u!

Code:
National Language = Language that orginated in one's country and may be not spoken by majority.

So please reply on this firstly before quoting rest of my posts! I know u wont be able to....thats why only this first!

mayhem said:
Hindi is not the root of every Indian.Hindi is itself a branch
True....But English doesnt even comes in that Branch...the Indian Languages Branch!!

Neways I know I shud go easy on u......But still I repeat for u to quotes every single line of all my posts if ur a man! If u dont have the balls/guts to do so....then say "I cant.....I dont have the balls/guts".

What.....U too came here to make mockery of urself now like @uttorasen by not quoting everyone?? Thats Against the FORUM RULES boy!

Go quote every one and every single line of them. U cant just Jump in like that in an already going hot debate and then expect to start fresh. Others will pause their debate then........will abuse u in their respective minds in that way and will laugh at u untill u have finished making ur baseless statements......and then will resume their debate again. Have some ethics boy!
Common Boy read from start...and do what I said. See I completely quoted u now!

Last edited:

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
mediator said:
I have covered mostly all the south in past years. And all T.N people understand hindi and some speak too! My uncle is south Indian.....so sometimes I visit south. So dont tell like anyone dont know about the situation in South. Instead I think ur the one who needs to tour the whole of India.
Who said? I'm born and brought up in Chennai. All my 22 years, I've been here only. Only *some* people (It'll be around 20-25% only) in Chennai might understand Hindi. Otherwise if you go anywhere in TN, you'll be a cockroach on it's back if you don't know Hindi *and* English.

Yamaraj

The Lord of Death
Knowing and speaking English is one thing, making it the only national language
is another. If you ask for granting Tamil, Telugu, Kannada or any other *Indian*
language an equivalent status to that of Hindi, I've no problems with that. But,
it's a different matter altogether when it comes to English.

I think this abnormal English *love* comes from the mass acceptance of the
Christianity in South India. It's not that we Northerners don't understand or
cannot speak English, but we respect our language just as we respect our
respective mothers.

The day English becomes the national language in this country, the Parliament
will burn down, constitution will be rewritten and the politicians will all be hanged.

Let's make it clear. You have my support for *any* Indian language as *the
national language*. English doesn't count.

ADDED: And I agree with mediator that India will become an International laughing
stock if English were to be made her national language. Boost your esteem and
respect for self and country, people! You are slaves no more.

Last edited:

mediator

Technomancer
Who said what @drgrudge?? I only told that many people understand hindi in T.N and some speak too... contrary to many English supporters and hindi opoosers here who say no one speak Hindi in T.N.

drgrudge said:
Only *some* people (It'll be around 20-25% only) in Chennai might understand Hindi.
I know that! U urself are saying that 20-25% understand hindi contrary to many english supporters who say no one speaks Hindi there. And thinking of their posts I think atleast 20-25% is also a great figure to counter their (Hindi opposers of T.N) posts.

drgrudge said:
Otherwise if you go anywhere in TN, you'll be a cockroach on it's back if you don't know Hindi *and* English.
Absolutely true! And I have posted this fact itself!

Neways I like that u (a mod) is also participating here and is from South and no baseless statements can be expected from u. U posted right facts. Now ...Can u give the correct facts for other states too? I already know that T.N has least Hindi speaking/understanding people of all states. That doesnt mean the whole of India is like that.
I have toured almost whole India (90%)......and had almost no problem in dealing with local people. I just talked to them in Hindi.

Last edited:

nik_for_you

In the zone
i dont have proof or figure with me but my opinion here is that hindi is fine as our national lang. making it english is baseless..

mAYHEM

Journeyman
mediator said:
Dont make frustrated allegations man
And dont call anyone Stupid.
mediator said:
Lets start....lemme play with u now!
C'mon man *www.smileypad.com/v224/Misc/Sumo.gif

mediator said:
What such a thing came in ur dreams?? Its like u saying stupidily that f English is spoke in America only and not any other country!
Thats not the Reply.Hindi and Punjabi(Spoken in North Western India)hv similarities bcoz they hv both evolved from Indo-Aryan Script.Thats why they hv similarities
mediator said:
Universal?? *www2.ignatius.edu/faculty/turner/languages.htm
It says
Code:
   1.  Chinese* (937,132,000)
   2. Spanish (332,000,000)
   3. English (322,000,000)
   4. Bengali (189,000,000)
   5. Hindi/Urdu (182,000,000)
   6. Arabic* (174,950,000)
   7. Portuguese (170,000,000)
   8. Russian (170,000,000)
   9. Japanese (125,000,000)
  10. German (98,000,000)
  11. French* (79,572,000)
What next......Will u say chinese now?? ROFLMAO!!
See hindi is 5th even though its confined to Indians only! And English spoken by many in world. From this cant u clearly see how much Hindi is spoken and understood in India??
Universal in the sense its applicable to India and not World.

mediator said:
I dunno if ur a common man here. Anyways where are u from?? America?? And just stopped here to cry for English?? Go to America and tell em that ur going to make English India's national Language. They will laugh at u!
Just look a little left,and u can see my Location.At the moment i am laughing at u*smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Happy/happy-083.gif

mediator said:
Thats pathetic! Will u search the whole net and find different definitions that will suit ur post?? And then later say this doesnt fit that and it fits into other?? Thats soooooooooo stupid just like @uttorasen's post.
I think thats more applicable to u,with all those figures from various sources.

mediatore said:
Lol! The different definitions clearly vote for Hindi. Common find more various different definitions that may suit ur post. Lets see what else u can do.
Instead of LOL just put a little stress on ur brain a little more,sochoo?

mediator said:
Oh so u read toooo?? Then where is quotations for my posts??
Anyways who said constitution is in English??
OMG a patriot like u don't know about our constituion.I think the "Preamble of India" says"We the people of India",does that clears ur mind.
mediator said:
So how did they read about constitution??
Whom ?
mediator said:
And who told u Indian constitution was written in English for Indians??
I think they were writting constitution for India so that mean it was for Indians :ROFLMO:.

mediator said:
Code:
National Language = Language that orginated in one's country and may be not spoken by majority.
All those 800 languages hv orignated in india only,And they r not spoken by majority.So why r not they Our National Language(s)

mediator said:
See I completely quoted u now!
Thats the only onething u did "Quote".

*s23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/Marcster2005/Smileypad/Threads/hijack1.gif

Yamaraj

The Lord of Death
@mAYHEM
The *talented* authors of *our constitution* were, in fact, plagisrists of the
worst kind. It's no secret that our lengthy constitution is a poor bootleg copy
of both British and American constitutions added together, with a lot of
nonsense thrown in to make it look genuine.

"We the people of India" in the preamble is a direct copy of the "We the people
of the United States", taken from American consitution.

Last edited:

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
mediator said:
Who said what @drgrudge?? I only told that many people understand hindi in T.N and some speak too... contrary to many English supporters and hindi opoosers here who say no one speak Hindi in T.N.
Who said that *all* people can understand Hindi in TN? Here you say "many" and in the post you say "all". Contradicting yourself?

mediator said:
Neways I like that u (a mod) is also participating here and is from South and no baseless statements can be expected from u. U posted right facts. Now ...Can u give the correct facts for other states too? I already know that T.N has least Hindi speaking/understanding people of all states. That doesnt mean the whole of India is like that.
lol, how will I know for other states. That 20-25% was my estimation. By no means it'll be dead right on the spot.

Other than TN, even Kerala also got less Hindi understanding/speaking people.

Vyasram

The pWnster
why are u changing ur stance?? Stick to English now and fight for it! U afraid of something??

some ppl cant understand jokes
and yeah i am afraid of reading another 1 km long post by you :D

btw my serious stance is still with english.

abt that changing tv channel when they show hindi stuff

i cant do that coz i am an indian cricket team fan and dd alone telecasts some matches and give commentary in hindi. they sd give english commentary or atleast give the rights to some other channel if they really condiser the south indians .

imagine how frustrated u wd be if they screw up a 300 run chase with a commentary in a lang that u dont understand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom