what should be india's national language?

what should be india's national language.

• english

Votes: 61 34.5%
  • hindi

Votes: 98 55.4%
  • your own mother tongue.

Votes: 18 10.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vyasram

The pWnster
@yamaraj

the thing is we dont know Hindi and most here consider learning it a waste of time. so if someone gives commentary in hindi , it looks as if they are doing it just to irritate us especially with a live feed of english commentary. the thing that matters is the spread of a language. english is the most spreaded language , get it

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
Who is the Einstein who said Hindi is not spoken in Maharashtra and Punjab?

I'm from Punjab and I live in Mumbai. 99% of people I've met in Haryana, Punjab, Maharashtra(unless u go into the deep rural areas) speak Hindi.

We must understand that there are different dialects of Hindi just as there are different dialects of English. That isn't called abusing the language.

When I was in Chennai, everyone I met spoke to me only in Tamil. Even educated people never made any effort to communicate in English. I felt they purposely did so as they realized I wasn't a local.

Who says only 15% people speak Hindi? Are you even sane?

According to the 2001 census, there are 17 crore people in UP. 8 crore people in Bihar. Around 2 crore each in Haryana and Punjab. About a crore in Uttaranchal. 2.5 crores in Jharkhand. 6 crore in Madhya Pradesh. 3 crores in Chattisgarh. And around a crore people in Delhi. Do the math.

That's what happens when people don't drink Complan when they are small.

The problem with people in TN especially is that there is this 'hostility' towards the people north of the Vindhyas.

The common perception there is that north indians(esp UP people and Biharis) are fools. Well where do the maximum number of IAS, IPS, IFS officers come from?

Hindi is the 3th most spoken language in the world. *www.krysstal.com/spoken.html

I can't speak Punjabi but I'm proud that I speak good Hindi. :)

Oh by the way, I study in one of the better commerce colleges in India and it is cool to speak in Hindi here :) We aren't English backside lickers, if you understand what I mean.

Last edited:

Vyasram

The pWnster
the basic necessity and need for a language is to understand one another and that cant be possible if anyone is stupid enough to think that their own language is the mightiest , joining with the majority will save enormous amt of time and there wont be any translation probs.

the words are "speak any language you want provided that all the listeners/conversationists who are listening to it know it". i'm not against any language but i just wanna say that forcing someone to practise a lang simply bcoz itz their national language is unfair. Listen this DD guyz

Last edited:

busyanuj

In the zone
don't worry, chill out guyz. the Government of India ain't gonna change the national language depending upon the results of this poll.

anyways, I'll like to offer a small correction to my englishman brother mr. vyasram (in his post at 12:29PM) here:
there's no such word as "spreaded" in English.

P.S. I'll love to see you correcting me on this one :mrgreen: , if you can.

As for whoever said that Hindi isn't spoken in Punjab: I'd like to correct you on that one, but I can't. You haven't been to Punjab and/or you don't know. Hindi is still alive and widely spoken in Punjab.

I'm not here to argue in the favour of or voice my opinion against any language. Everyone loves the language he or she is comfortable conversing and writing in.

As for English, it's here to stay. But please don't murder it.

Last edited:

Yamaraj

The Lord of Death
Vyasram said:
the words are speak any language you want provided that all the listeners/conversationists who are listening to it know it.
Remember, an Englishman dies for every sentence of this calibre. Keep it up!

mAYHEM

Journeyman
I vote for English
Hindi is spoken in North-Western India bcoz it has similarities with local languages.

Last edited:

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
mAYHEM said:
I vote for English
Hindi is spoken in North-Western India bcoz it has similarities with local languages.

Did English originate in India? How many Indians speak English? What would the common man rather speak? India's national language is and will stay Hindi.

mAYHEM

Journeyman
English is more Universal Language than Hindi.And never mentioned that English orignated In India.It depends on the common man from where he is.

Acc to Wikipedia

A national language is a language (or language variant, i.e. dialect) which uniquely represents the national identity of a nation or country. A national language is used for political and legal discourse and so designated by a country's government.

Hindi doesn't fits the above two cases.
English fits the second case.

A national language is not to be confused with the predominant language, which is spoken by the majority of people from within a country's borders.
That says all

Last edited:

Yamaraj

The Lord of Death
mAYHEM said:
English is more Universal Language than Hindi.And never mentioned that English orignated In India.It depends on the common man from where he is.
If you can convince the French, Russians, Germans, Japanese or Italians to accept
English as their national language, you'll have me by your side. And I don't care
for "The Common (wo)man", the type that speak broken English all the time only
to feel special, or for cheap ego satisfaction.

Vyasram

The pWnster
Yamaraj said:

lol, thats a typo... edited
for "The Common (wo)man", the type that speak broken English all the time only
to feel special, or for cheap ego satisfaction.

enough, how abt developing a single hybrid of all the langs in the world so that all ppl will accept it. btw i dont see that happenning

Last edited:

mAYHEM

Journeyman
Our laws and Constitution r in English why were they not written in Hindi or any other Local Language.

Last edited:

praka123

left this forum longback
about hindi guys,In my Lang there is a proverb "Pottakinattile Tavala" ie,small frog in a small pool.u ppl r like that.you thought that india is full of Hindi,thats wrong wrong and wrong.:twisted: we need english only the poll is manipualted!how?'coz hindiwalle will only vote Hindi!.
u r thinging imperialistic of ur Hindusthaan,but fails to have the brain focussing 2wards Tamil naad and south except Karnatak been polluted i mean bcame hybrid of southnnorth.i watch hindi channels esp zee news they r not at all considered about south except B;lore.while south indian channels esp Maran's channels sun,udaya,surya etc... are reporting news from allover india without any caps on north.I know even if north try its best,Tamilnaad,kerala and Andhra cannot accept hindi supremacy.got it bacche log?:mrgreen:

ps:dont get angry and put foul words.i had gone thru one.mind it i cant bear another 4 the sake of so called "fight club"

Last edited:

mediator

Technomancer
led_shankar said:
And personal atttacks refers to crap like this:
mediator said:
@uttorasen...Oh u qouting now...I'm so excited!!

Oh man u quoted a lot of my lines..hahaha. Nice!
Neways I was talking to @uttorasen....why are u so concerned?? Even if ur concerned...then go ahead read the whole debate of "Is America bettr than India"....U'll know what I mean!

hmmm....@led_shankar....Have you ever joined or participated in real debates?? I think you never had.......coz talking like this is never considered a personal remark. Debate is like a chess game...where remarks like this are necessary so that the opponent dont post hte same reply more than once, make baseless statements.

Ok if someone says baselessly that u r an idiot,u are good for nothing and talks whatever dirty about you that comes in his mind in front of everybody everyday........just like that. What will be ur reply to him?? Will u reply him nicely.....and beg him not to do that??

Go ahead read that "Is america better than India" Debate. I forgived him not quoting there, making baseless statements etc. But now if a person annoys u repeatedly what will u do?? Well I dunno about u but I like to annoy him in return tooo! Anyways these are not personal remarks!
Read some book on debates....u'll find more nasty techniques than this. And my posts liek this are too ethical to be called crap.
U have no idea what crap,persoanl remarks can be like!! Please read the previous debate too!

led_shankar said:
That is why i am 'quitting' this debate. I have no respect for people who do not know how to argue in a dignified manner.
Now tell me bro. Did I ever make any personal remark on u?? Coz I never saw u making any baseless,stupid statements like @uttora babu! Read all his posts and tell me if they make any sense. Read the whole debate of national language from the start and u'll know what I mean!

@Yamaraj.....Well said bro! 50 points to you. Seriously English supporters Have lost their respective minds to name some foreign language as national language. They have forgotten the definition of word "NATIONAL" (meaning orginating in India) and pride for their culture too!

vyasram said:
the thing is we dont know Hindi and most here consider learning it a waste of time. so if someone gives commentary in hindi , it looks as if they are doing it just to irritate us especially with a live feed of english commentary. the thing that matters is the spread of a language. english is the most spreaded language , get it
So what will you do if u go to Sikkim,bihar,nepal,China,Japan etc etc??? Most of them dont know how to speak English or Tamil. As I said its the fault of commentator if he speaks in Hindi. I'm not saying to learn Hindi. But atleast name some Indian language to be called as national language according to its definition!!

@mail2and....50 points to u toooo! Anyways....wow that was cool....u blew the fuse of English supporters in one go by enlightening them of necessary facts and reality!

vyasram said:
the words are speak any language you want provided that all the listeners/conversationists who are listening to it know it
This post of urs seem to me very much like the posts of @uttorasen cause of some English clause errors. Dont mind it...but are u alias of @uttorasen ?? Just asking!

vyasram said:
forcing someone to practise a lang simply bcoz itz their national language is unfair. Listen this DD guyz
Who is forcing man?? Are u forced to speak Indian National Anthem?? Lalu was sitting on one of the national holiday functions when National anthem was being sung!!
If u dont like hindi then switch channel watch some other channel than DD. That simple!
What I wanna point is the Indian Language that is spoken the most is Hindi that orginated from Sankrit the mother of all Indian Langauges and may be the world. I can give u the facts...but then it wud be dumb if u ask for such facts as they well understood. Neways the poll of this debate gives u the facts itself!!

busyanuj said:
there's no such word as "spreaded" in English.
Well said. But bro u'll find plenty of such words from all English supporters here => vyasram,uttorasen. Read the whole debate. You'll find 1000s of such words from the main supporter @uttora who started this thread.
Thats ugly actually that they have so many grammer,clauses,vocablury errors in English and still try to make foreigners happy!

@busyanuj....50 points too u tooo!

busyanuj said:
You haven't been to Punjab and/or you don't know. Hindi is still alive and widely spoken in Punjab
I've been empasising on this but they fail to understand such simple fact and then later when I try to correct them they say I made fun of them !

busyanuj said:
As for English, it's here to stay. But please don't murder it.

Exactly it can become the second most widespread language. Also the second language the Indians speak......but not National Language even if it becomes more widespread than Hindi in future....coz it has not orginated in India and thats why not Indian and thats why cant become National Language!!

yamaraj said:
Forget it bro...they dont understand such things as self-esteem or calibre or whateva related to ones morale!

mayhem said:
I vote for English
Still? Did u read all the posts of this debate?? U came rocking like @uttorasen...made ur statement...Do u know how many people now will laugh at u too as they laughed at @uttora??
I guess U aint read from the start.....thats why u still have a chance to change ur post......Go and read from the start, quote each line from post of every one who oppose English, tell ur reasons for opposing and then say that u like English still!
But if dont change ur opinion then I challenge u to continue here,fight like a man for ur word/statement......and dont chicken out like @uttorasen(the creator of this thread)! Wating for ur next post anxiously....

mayhem said:
English is more Universal Language than Hindi
So did China,Russia,France,Germany etc etc and all changed to English?? Why do u bow to foreigners so much?? Do u still wanna confirm to them that u are their slave and will change ur Nations pride for them??

The world who now sees to India for some enlightening/steps first before taking their own step....will laugh at India because of Indians like u!

mayhem said:
It depends on the common man from where he is.
What does this mean?? Explain! Will u change India's prime minister to Bush for same illogical,irrational reasoning??

mayhem said:
A national language is a language (or language variant, i.e. dialect) which uniquely represents the national identity of a nation or country. A national language is used for political and legal discourse and so designated by a country's government.
Wow u searched the wiki?? I told the definition here itself. See man this is against forum rules to go on making ur statemnts in a debate without looking at others. If u came here new in this debate then u shud have read others posts first. Now shud i put all my previous replies specially for u?? Then u'll chicken out as well like @uttorasen!

Neways the deinitions from wiki that u posted themseff say a BIG no to English. Think about it!

Thats why I give u a chance to change ur opinion...change it to some other Indian language or whateva. I wont mind that....But if u still voice support for English then u'll have to deal with me for 4-5 pages more!! Believe me!!

prakash_kerala said:
about hindi guys,In my Lang there is a proverb "Pottakinattile Tavala" ie,small frog in a small pool.u ppl r like that.you thought that india is full of Hindi,thats wrong wrong and wrong. we need english only the poll is manipualted!how?'coz hindiwalle will only vote Hindi!.
Thats right hindi waala will vote hindi and tamil to tamil etc etc.So? How will it manipulate the poll? It shows how many pople all across the India vote for Hindi and know and speak hindi and have great respect for hindi. Well currently 32 % vote fro English. So shud I say like u that even 32 % is a great figure because of some manipulation?? That was indeed a very childish reply!

See man I have great respect for u....coz u have helped me a number of times in Open Source and QnA section. But dont make frustrated remarks for Hindi supporters or English opposers. If people from South are so much speaking English then why are not they here in a froum written in English?? And even if they are then why is the percentage of English still half of Hindi??
If u also make baseless comments like @uttorasen...then God help u. U know what I mean. I'll be the biggest opponent u'll face here for making baseless, frustrated remarks.

prakash_kerala said:
u r thinging imperialistic of ur Hindusthaan
Isnt it ur Hindustan??

prakash_kerala said:
even if north try its best,Tamilnaad,kerala and Andhra cannot accept hindi supremacy.got it bacche log?
u say u gone thru all the posts and facts and still dont think Hindi is most widely spoken?? nad how can u tell anyways that how many south Indians or North Indians are here?? Do u personally know each of them?? Didnt the pol of this topic enlighten u??
Hmmm....bacche log?? Dont mind it....but if I'll begin to speak on this then u too will chicken out like @uttorasen! I guess u were pretty excited for some reason when u made this post. I advice u not to do that in future and make the posts in a calm manner.....coz others can find flaw in your own debates and the make fun of you.
I saw u first time make such comments like "bacche log" in such a hot discussion. So I'm not speaking anything against you right now. But humbly request u to please dont do that in future.

This is getting interesting more farangi supporters are here to make foreigners happy so much that they will sell their ego,Inidan pride too for that! Common I'm ready to fight all of u in this Fight Club....but first u have to read all the posts here from the start....and have to quote each single line of all my replies here from the start.
Do that and I'll see u as a man who is strong enough to be called opponent to fight with!!

Last edited:

led_shankar

In Shamful Mystery
As you know, I am "quitting" this debate. I will reply only to those points directed at me.

mediator said:
@uttorasen....why are u so concerned??
I am not concerned for his sake (I hardly know him); I am concerned for the sake of the debate. The quality of the debate is ruined by personal attacks/comments.

mediator said:
.......where remarks like this are necessary so that the opponent dont post hte same reply more than once, make baseless statements.
you could have pointed out on the baselessness of the statements in a professional manner; What you did was more like two children squabbling on the street.

mediator said:
Go ahead read that "Is america better than India" Debate.
I did not read that thread because it was an extremely stupid topic.

mediator said:
Now tell me bro. Did I ever make any personal remark on u?? Coz I never saw u making any baseless,stupid statements like @uttora babu! Read all his posts and tell me if they make any sense. Read the whole debate of national language from the start and u'll know what I mean!
I think I have replied to this statement in my response to the first quote I made (in this post itself).

Okay, this is off-topic, but:
mediator said:
@Yamaraj.....Well said bro! 50 points to you. Seriously English supporters Have lost their respective minds to name some foreign language as national language. They have forgotten the definition of word "NATIONAL" (meaning orginating in India) and pride for their culture too!
remember how you fought in the Ganesh immersion thread? ;)

Oh, BTW,
mediator said:
Sankrit the mother of all Indian Langauges and may be the world
No. Dravidian languages, Andamanese languages, Tibeto-Burman and Austro-Asiatic languages have not originated from Sanskrit. *en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_India

And Sanskrit is not the father/mother of all languages in the world at all. Sanskrit, Greek and Latin, according to the most prevalent theory, have been derived from a common ancestor. Moreover, Sinic languages (Japanese, Chinese etc.) come from a totally diferent ancestor.

^The only reason I'm mentioning this is because I have a subject on linguistics in college, and I just thought I'd chip in.

mediator said:
Do that and I'll see u as a man who is strong enough to be called opponent to fight with!!
Respect the debate, and I'll see you as a person sensible enough to fight with.

Last edited:

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
prakash kerala said:
about hindi guys,In my Lang there is a proverb "Pottakinattile Tavala" ie,small frog in a small pool.
There is a proverb in Hindi made famous by the movie Omkara.. 'Ch*tiye aur Bewakoof mein dhage bhar ka farak hota hai'
prakash kerala said:
u ppl r like that.you thought that india is full of Hindi,thats wrong wrong and wrong.:twisted:

About 50 crore people speak Hindi natively. Around 20-30 crore can understand Hindi. Hmmm.. i pity your maths skills.

prakash kerala said:
we need english only the poll is manipualted!how?'coz hindiwalle will only vote Hindi!.

Each person can vote only one time. If Hindi speaking people won't vote for Hindi.. whom will they vote for? Tamil or whatever language you speak?

prakash kerala said:
u r thinging imperialistic of ur Hindusthaan

It's Hindustan not Hindusthaan. If you can't respect and spell the name of your country properly, I fear what else you can do against this land.

prakash kerala said:
i watch hindi channels esp zee news they r not at all considered about south except B;lore.while south indian channels esp Maran's channels sun,udaya,surya etc...

Did you ever watch NDTV India or Aaj Tak. And you claim Zee News reports only North related news. Sheesh! You're such a regional fanatic.

I don't see any difference between you and the people who blew up trains in Mumbai.

mediator

Technomancer
led_shankar said:
What you did was more like two children squabbling on the street
I know that but read all his posts first and u'll find his posts like an ignorant 3rd grader making comments from his childish fantasies. I tried to persuade him humbly first. He didnt improved. Then he repeatedly made stupid/absurd and irrational statements. i warned him the last time. But after that had to talk to him like that only coz he kept on mumbling of whateva that came in his fantasy island/mind. Now did I spoke to u like that??
Ofcors if nobody makes baseless/irration/absurd statements then debate becomes more interesting. And read the froum rules tooo.... It says not to post such statements. Its against the forum rules.
So instead of telling him ur correcting me?? If he hadnt started that....then I also wudnt have corrected him. Anyways I still says these are not personal remarks!! Dont u argue on this one. Read books on debate and u know what i mean. If opponent is worthy of talking humbly then he is talked with all ethics. But if he breaks the code of conduct then how shud everybody talks to him?? Dont u see debates in parliament?? Anyways it is the last example i wud have given!

led_shankar said:
I did not read that thread because it was an extremely stupid topic.
Exactly.....but read last 10 posts there finishing from mine and u'll know what i mean!

led_shankar said:
remember how you fought in the Ganesh immersion thread?
Hehehe.....Please dont u bring that here...He has made frinds with me now.U trying to break that friendship now??

led_shankar said:
Respect the debate, and I'll see you as a person sensible enough to fight with.
Oh I do!! But man really.....stupid/irrational/absurd posts really pisses me off...if debate is already ruined by such posts then who am I to disrespect the debate! But still I havent disprespected it at all!

well about ur edited post now about sanskrit being mother of all languages in India.......I read it in my history books. My sanskrit teachers tells me that and many many more elders. Please I request u not to make Wiki a reference for ur daily help. It will ruin ur life. Some of the info in wiki is correct. Anyways how does wiki gets its database...Ever wondered?? Wiki is my last resort to gather information!
anyways yeah...I did persuaded him in my most humble manner and rebuked as u said and I have a lotta patience too to wait for other to improve. But....what more can I do??

Last edited:

led_shankar

In Shamful Mystery
uh...mediator, sorry, but I just added something to my previous post. Please read it.

And you could have rebuked him for his "irrational" comments in a civilised manner too. You were saying things about his reputation etc., which were not needed.

G

gxsaurav

I wonder what’s the problem of u guys here, why do some guys think we north Indian people suck, I mean what the hell, north or south, we are Indians

U come to U.P., we speak all languages here, doesn't matter what, Muslim speak Urdu, cos they like it, they find it more comfortable, however they are not saying that it should be our national language, cos our nationality is Indian, we speak Hindi. Punjabi, Marathi, Guajarati speak there own languages, nobody cares for that, simply, it should be something that the other one can understand

One Quote from a Movie of Amitabh Bachchan, "I can talk in English, I can walk in English, because English is a very funnnny language". English has 26 letters, including 5 vowels, however...Hindi has much more vowels & letters, and we can speak such words in Hindi, which cannot be said in English

Most people here don't even speak the true English, they speak mixed up American English, while the real British English is what it is, however, just like every country having its own history, style, and they have their own language which they find better then English or Hindi. U can't go to Germany & tell them to switch to English or Hindi, can U?

Stick to what u like, doesn't matter, u like Tamil ok, speak that, u like Marathi ok, speak that, but u can't say everyone to switch to English, that’s baseless

What do we say in Hindi “jaisa desh vaisa bhes”

led_shankar

In Shamful Mystery
mediator said:
well about ur edited post now about sanskrit being mother of all languages in India.......I read it in my history books. My sanskrit teachers tells me that and many many more elders. Please I request u not to make Wiki a reference for ur daily help. It will ruin ur life. Some of the info in wiki is correct. Anyways how does wiki gets its database...Ever wondered?? Wiki is my last resort to gather information!
anyways yeah...I did persuaded him in my most humble manner and rebuked as u said and I have a lotta patience too to wait for other to improve. But....what more can I do??

The mother of all languages part was not from wikipedia. My linguistics (lingutics, mind it; not english/hindi/sanskrit) teacher told me that.

Also, I put that link there just in case you/someone else wanted to know more abou the terms (like Tibeto-Burman etc.) I put there; It was not my reference.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom