We are going under a revamp.

OP
skeletor

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
I think we need to do something in order to have fewer people visiting the Community Discussions forum. If we move that thread out of there, the members active there will be able to give camera buying advice and guides better maybe.
hehe, Community Discussions is actually the least visited section in this forum NOW.

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
Yeah I got an idea but not too sure if it could work out.

Back in chip forums, I made this spreadsheet for the pricelist and specs. Nothing "exclusive" and the ownership of the spreadsheet is mine but few people edit it out once in a while. I thought of making this as a universal spreadsheet that can be accessed in many Indian tech forums and edited by chosen responsible people from many forums, so we could start from TDF. Few can use their time to put up the specs, others can update the price. Most of us are in majority of the Indian forums so the information/knowledge is practically the same. This way we can build a stronger community.

If this happens (and if it happens), we could have an inter-Indian tech forum based benchmark leaderboard (YEAH). Some resources can be shared among multiple forum. United we stand and stand strong :)
Chip.in • View topic - Hardware spec sheet/price update/query/product FAQ here

OP
skeletor

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
^ great suggestion there. :)

We could use it in comp@ddict's latest prices thread.

Platform Tags for threads - I have seen this happening on another forum. Let's say I have a query specific to a particular platform (console or PC), I can click on the respective bubble while creating a thread and the result is you'll have a platform tag associated with it. Something like this:

*img171.imageshack.us/img171/733/53746008.jpg

Result:
*img140.imageshack.us/img140/7951/31896278.jpg

This will help specifying/associating the game for it's respective platform. I'm not sure if this is even feasible, but it's definitely a good alternative than having a separate console section, which is hardly frequented.
I'll implement them. :)

Prioritising Sticky Threads - I think we need to sort out the sticky threads and prioritise them. Does 'To be released games discussion' thread really need to be stickied? 'Content for Games' is stickied and locked. Pick a thread which would probably have information regarding something like 'the purchase guide of a console', 'newbies guide for upgrading to a gaming PC' or something like that. I keep getting a lot of PM's of which console to purchase, it's price, location, advantages etc. So it would be good to have a thread stickied along the lines.
I think you have a better idea about that. :p We'll be thankful if you could implement those changes in the Gamerz section.

Weed out to old/unwanted/spam threads - Let's face it, we have like a gazillion threads in the Gamerz section. Why not clean out some? I doubt we would have people bumping a Page 51 thread any time soon, unless it's a BOT. This should saves us some web-space and we could always create a new thread for a query, this would be a fresh start.
Old threads are locked. They won't get bumped by a spammer. But we'll try to weed out unnecessary threads through an automated way. May be based on those which have less Google hits or those about which no one gives damn.

Reputation system - Not saying it's entirely needed, but sometimes people might feel the need to be credited for the work that they do. What better way to do it then a reputation system?
I think we had a Reputation system earlier and people went bonkers for reps like politicians as this forum was highly more active at that time than any other forums you'd name.

phpBB - Can we please have it back? Pretty please (with vanilla cream & cherry on top). :)
vBulletin is way better from an administrative point of view. :) No point in switching back to phpBB.

Last edited:

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
Cool, do let me know once you guys figured a way out to display the spreadsheet on the forum, I'll forward the spreadsheet link. Once its done, handful of members will be allowed to update the spreadsheet, whereas rest can just post it on the forums. This idea is from overclock.net and their forum is vBulletin so there is a way for sure :)

Instead of a rep system, I think a "thank you" system can be made up. Not sure how it exactly works but the OP (only HE) gives a "thank you" point to those posts which were useful. This adds up and gets displayed below member's posts count.

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
The Sorcerer, that's a very systematic way of keep tab of the latest hardware and it's prices. I think you still have more to update in the RAM and Graphics card part, right?

OP
skeletor

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Cool, do let me know once you guys figured a way out to display the spreadsheet on the forum, I'll forward the spreadsheet link. Once its done, handful of members will be allowed to update the spreadsheet, whereas rest can just post it on the forums. This idea is from overclock.net and their forum is vBulletin so there is a way for sure :)
yea, I've coded it myself. I'll just try it out. A simple iFrame.

Instead of a rep system, I think a "thank you" system can be made up. Not sure how it exactly works but the OP (only HE) gives a "thank you" point to those posts which were useful. This adds up and gets displayed below member's posts count.
"Thank you" system is quite resource intensive from what I've heard.

[gs]0AnfcPURT8dHodEk5SEVqRXktUUNpT3k2RnIwOVkwT1E[/gs]

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
@ ethan: Yeah, but since as it is I am spending a lot of time in multiple forums recommending and stuff, its just not possible for one person to do a lot of updates. That's systematic from the front, but from the rear its good old fashioned keyboard work.

I prefer to take other rules as a contributor, like getting stuff to review and all, maybe recommendations and correcting others on few occassions. But CAN'T go forward and ignore the contribution which requires active updating unless some weight is taken load off by back (no I am not old DAMMIT >_<")

@Ico: awesome.
Guys PM me people who are responsible enough to keep this list updated. I am not much in sync with who does what and how but I'll be in touch with ico and topgear to choose folks from here.

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
I'll change the spreadsheet's title to universal price list/spec sheet :)

Renaming done.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
skeletor

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
@Ico: awesome.
Guys PM me people who are responsible enough to keep this list updated. I am not much in sync with who does what and how but I'll be in touch with ico and topgear to choose folks from here.
Surely. :)

Thanks for the rename and the spreadsheet. YGPM.

Waiting for comp@ddict to confirm.

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
Boy that was quick :p. Took a very long time to get this done in the other forum due to time constraints. I appreciate the quick-gun efforts from your end ico :). I've added you now. Welcome aboard.

Rahim

Married!
This is more of a suggestion-cum-enquiry:
Is there a plan to change the forum's theme? If yes, then provide choices including Kirsch to the users than having just one theme.

OP
skeletor

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Boy that was quick :p. Took a very long time to get this done in the other forum due to time constraints. I appreciate the quick-gun efforts from your end ico :). I've added you now. Welcome aboard.
Thanks for the appreciation.
This is more of a suggestion-cum-enquiry:
Is there a plan to change the forum's theme? If yes, then provide choices including Kirsch to the users than having just one theme.
yea, we'll have to keep Kirsch.

Krow

Crowman
Can we have that Image auto-adjust width feature? That will eliminate the side scrolling nightmares for those with a square monitor.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
noticed a strange thing on bazaar section - some users are not telling whether they have sold the advertised item or not and users who need to purchase some thing is doing the same - so those threads remain unlocked and those could attract spamers.

so I've some suggestions for Bazaar Section :

1. We can give a user 30 days time period to state whether they have sold their items or not or whether users have bought their items or not.

2. After 30 days we will close that thread.

3. if a user is still unable to buy or sell a particular product and still wants to his thread remain unlocked then he/she have to send a PM to the mods.

4. we can give a particular user another 30 day time period for sell or buy his desired product through forum. we can repeat this 3-6 times ie 3 to 6 months and then we will permanently close the thread.

Guys post your feedbacks on this.

Top Bottom