We are going under a revamp.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Suggestions please.

okay..

Now we have a separate section for PC Buying / Configuration. All "PC for 30k" type of threads will go there.

Now, I suggest Hardware Q&A to be renamed to Hardware Troubleshooting so that it only caters to "problems" related to Hardware. Hardware Discussions to only contain discussions about upcoming technology and launches.

We also have separate sections for Mobile phones and Laptops/Netbooks. I suggest Mobile Monsterz to be locked with a few important threads being moved.

Now Gamerz section. I want splitting up of discussion from the "Game you are currently addicted with" and the discussion to happen like it used to happen years ago.

Suggestions and your opinions. Time to restore TDF to it's old glory.

Lastly, SPAM will reduce. I'm finally able to ban those Chinese IP ranges.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Eboue doesn't likes this at all
*static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Football/Pix/gallery/2009/1/7/1231350409482/Gallery-Emmanuel-Ebou--Un-008.jpg

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
If possible rename fight club to real world discussion.

A section on health and fitness please. I'll be an active contributor there.

A section on automobiles, though am not a pro in it but many digitians will definitely yen for the same.

OP
ico

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
If possible rename fight club to real world discussion.
But then arguments over Web Browsers can't really be considered real world issues. :p

A section on health and fitness please. I'll be an active contributor there.
A section on the main page will actually be quite a big thing to ask, tbh. Max I can do is stick kanjar's Health & Fitness thread. I'm ready for a sub-forum in Discussions if everyone promises that they'll actually post in it.

A section on automobiles, though am not a pro in it but many digitians will definitely yen for the same.
yup, definitely in favour of this.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Then a sub forum under fight club for real world discussion ?

A sub forum on health n fitness under general discussion looks promising. I'll be logging my sessions there. More like a walkthrough. This should get others to make a kickstart.

OP
ico

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Then a sub forum under fight club for real world discussion ?

A sub forum on health n fitness under general discussion looks promising. I'll be logging my sessions there. More like a walkthrough. This should get others to make a kickstart.
roger that.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Suggestions please.

Hardware Discussions to only contain discussions about upcoming technology and launches.

but can't we discuss about upcoming technology and launches in Technology News section ?

In the Hardware Discussions section we should discuss about the latest hardware bought by the forum members or if someone is wanted to buy a particular piece of hardware.

Now Gamerz section. I want splitting up of discussion from the "Game you are currently addicted with" and the discussion to happen like it used to happen years ago.

for new games you should really create a new thread to discuss about that game but people who are playing old games should post in "Game you are currently addicted with" section.

this rule can be set as this - all games released/will be releasing on current year ( say on 2010 or even 2011 ) should be discussed using separate threads.

But games released previous years ( say on 2009 or even before ) should be discussed on Game you are currently addicted with" as before.

Some exceptions can be made for games CRPG like - fallout 3, ME2, Dragon Age Origins, The witcher, Neverwinter Nights 2 etc.

posting this and this thread link also on Game you are currently addicted with so that more members can join into this discussion.

Lastly, SPAM will reduce. I'm finally able to ban those Chinese IP ranges

that's comforting.

Suggestions and your opinions. Time to restore TDF to it's old glory.

this effort was much needed - thanks for creating such a thread.

OP
ico

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd like to mention two new features which have been implemented as shown in LFC_fan's post.

1) Strike Through

[ s ] ahahah text [ /s ]

2) Spoiler

[ spoiler ] hahaha text [ /spoiler ]

3) YouTube (was already there, still mentioning again)

[ youtube ] youtube-video-code [ /youtube ]

but can't we discuss about upcoming technology and launches in Technology News section ?

In the Hardware Discussions section we should discuss about the latest hardware bought by the forum members or if someone is wanted to buy a particular piece of hardware.
Agreed.

Let me also put it this way, if you find a benchmark on an online website, then discussion about it should go to Hardware Discussions rather than Technology News. New launches + news + vapours can go to Technology News.

for new games you should really create a new thread to discuss about that game but people who are playing old games should post in "Game you are currently addicted with" section.

this rule can be set as this - all games released/will be releasing on current year ( say on 2010 or even 2011 ) should be discussed using separate threads.

But games released previous years ( say on 2009 or even before ) should be discussed on Game you are currently addicted with" as before.

Some exceptions can be made for games CRPG like - fallout 3, ME2, Dragon Age Origins, The witcher, Neverwinter Nights 2 etc.
Good idea. But we need to also stop making THAT thread a central point for every god damned discussion. Posters also post their short reviews about a game in that thread itself and those posts actually get dug. So, splitting up of discussion is needed.

posting this and this thread link also on Game you are currently addicted with so that more members can join into this discussion.

that's comforting.

this effort was much needed - thanks for creating such a thread.
Thank you. :)

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Basically I feel there are too many sub forums, many of them are uneeded.
  1. The Education sub forum is rarely viewed in comparison and in my opionion should be part of the "The Geek Life", which could be be renamed as "Community Discussions".
  2. And "Caught in the WWW", should be grouped with some other sub forum. Also the Gaming Sub Forum should be redesigned as well, console and casual gaming should be made part of the "PC Gaming" section which should be renamed as "Gaming". We can have a "Internet and Gaming" sub forum with "Gaming" and "Caught in the WWW" combined.
  3. With the new subforums, Hardware Discussions and Mobile Monsters have become somewhat extra and probably should be archived and placed in the corresponding forum, with the latest posts moved (which has probably has been done already?).
  4. Also all the Buying Advice forums should be be further tree level. I mean Buying Advice can be put in Hardware, and the sections of Buying Advice would remain as its subsections.
  5. "Solutions" can become part of Software Q&A
Just some thoughts. :)

Last edited:

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
I feel forum should be lots clean, more user friendly rules and less confusing.
Few active moderator is also needed to keep everything smooth.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
as everyone else did, here a "small" suggestion from my side: as the Buying thead created so the Hardware part will be less clumsy now. so renaming the Hardware Troubleshooting to PC troubleshooting looks better. & hardware discussion for any other kind of problem not related to PC or not part of a PC usually. cause we have technology news, Buying advice, hardware troubleshooting, hardware discussions. its too many of them.

you may even merge the HW troubleshooting & HW discussions.

OP
ico

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
[*]The Education sub forum is rarely viewed in comparison and in my opionion should be part of the "The Geek Life", which could be be renamed as "Community Discussions".
[*]And "Caught in the WWW", should be grouped with some other sub forum. Also the Gaming Sub Forum should be redesigned as well, console and casual gaming should be made part of the "PC Gaming" section which should be renamed as "Gaming". We can have a "Internet and Gaming" sub forum with "Gaming" and "Caught in the WWW" combined.
Education should be a separate sub-forum. "Caught in the WWW" is to be actually used for ISP + Online Services related discussions. I don't feel the need of any merge.

[*]With the new subforums, Hardware Discussions and Mobile Monsters have become somewhat extra and probably should be archived and placed in the corresponding forum, with the latest posts moved (which has probably has been done already?).
Considering this.

[*]Also all the Buying Advice forums should be be further tree level. I mean Buying Advice can be put in Hardware, and the sections of Buying Advice would remain as its subsections.
It's just perfect as of now. If I'll put the Buying Advice forums in Hardware, it will lead to people still posting in Hardware Troubleshooting for their config related problems. We need that "Buying Advice" phrase clearly mentioned.

[*]"Solutions" can become part of Software Q&A
Agreed.

I feel forum should be lots clean, more user friendly rules and less confusing.
Few active moderator is also needed to keep everything smooth.
yup. We'll have about 4-5 new moderators.

Last edited:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
It's just perfect as of now. If I'll put the Buying Advice forums in Hardware, it will lead to people still posting in Hardware Troubleshooting for their config related problems. We need that "Buying Advice" phrase clearly mentioned.

:agreed: HW section & Buying advice should be kept separately. else new (as well as some old) members will clutter the HW thread with buying advice threads.

OP
ico

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can't find any place to fit Bazaar tbh. Let it be where it is.

All I can do is also add a little bit of more information. "Note: Bazaar section is NOT for your queries."

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Basically my ideas in terms of layout can be summed up as this demo
Think Technology Discussion Forum
Don't quote this btw, this is only a demo and I'll snip this and delete that MyBB installation anyway :p

Krow

Crowman
Ah ha! Finally the vaibhavtek dream comes true. How did you manage to become an admin ico?

Hats off to this long awaited initiative.

My suggestion: Save post as draft feature.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good idea. But we need to also stop making THAT thread a central point for every god damned discussion. Posters also post their short reviews about a game in that thread itself and those posts actually get dug. So, splitting up of discussion is needed.

Thank you. :)

going to create some threads on latest games in the gamerz section.

BTW, what will happen for those games released for multiple platforms - should we create 2 separate threads for PC and console ??

OP
ico

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
going to create some threads on latest games in the gamerz section.

BTW, what will happen for those games released for multiple platforms - should we create 2 separate threads for PC and console ??
I'm rather thinking of merging the Console and PC Gamers section tbh.

Edit: I merged them. Keeping them separated was of no use really. People had no time to crawl out of their mega thread.

@LFC_fan
You meant Gamerz, ISP discussions etc. to be in the same heading? i.e. Internet & Gaming???

Last edited:
Top Bottom