Sony Xperia 2013 Thread

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
Just completed the 4.3 update now. Following points were noted:
1. It seems to be a pretty big update available only through PC Companion. My guess is above 500MB.

2. The update seems to happen through a flashing process.

3. My Windows XP system went into a repeated hard lock at the beginning of actual flashing/updating. We have to download the update with the phone on and connected. Then for the next step the phone has to be switched off and connected while holding the Volume Down button pressed. At this point I got "SEMC Flash Device connected" message and system went into a hard lock. Only a physical power button reboot worked. This was solved by rebooting and running this in safe mode with networking.

4. It is advised to take a backup prior to beginning the update. However according to the message flashed by the inbuilt backup utility after updating, backups across different android versions are not compatible. I do not know what is the point of doing it then. However luckily in my case everything went smoothly and I did not get an opportunity to test this out.

5. I was expecting the internal memory usage after this update to go down as many applications have supposedly been uodated to latest in the ROM thus reducing redundancy. But I have yet to see any benefit there.

6. The keyboard has improved a LOT.

7. Battery icon now sits upright in statusbar saving some pixels.

8. Applications list / Menu has undergone some changes. I do not like the fact that they have now taken away the option of listing them according to reducing frequency of usage. Now only 20 most used applications are listed in one page. Alphabetic order and own order are still available. There is an "Installed" order which I guess means most recently installed.

I may update this post later.

Last edited:

sujoyp

Grand Master
Bro I agree the 4.3 update was big but I had no problem in ZL ...it just downloaded the update and applied it (I felt asleep actually :D )

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
OK. Found another thing. Now I cannot pick a subtitle in VLC using ES File Manager as it does not appear in the list. And the default file manager shows only internal memory in that context while my media are in external SD card.

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
Ok. I agree. But I personally do not like MX Player and prefer VLC. That aside, my post was about a possible regression introduced with this update and not a MX vs VLC one.

I am trying to understand what is going on here and who should resolve this situation :
Is it Android 4.3?
Is it the Sony Timescape UI layer?
Is it the VLC itself?
Or is it File Commander that behaves restrictively?

sujoyp

Grand Master
it seems VLC compatibility issue with 4.3 thats it.

Is there any other media player which can play MKV ...VLC looks too plain ....sony's video player looks soo good but cant play aac codec

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
Ok. Its just that I am really comfortable with VLC.

Has anyone else done this update?

Random,
We will get KitKat on these devices as far as you know right?

sujoyp

Grand Master
Z and ZL will get for sure
Sony reveals its Android 4.4 KitKat upgrade plans - GSMArena.com news

ZR under consideration

Android 4.4 KitKat for Sony Xperia ZR under consideration - GSMArena.com news

Ayuclack

*qwich.in
4.3 OTA Xperia Z Ultra 1528553_10201240688165516_1575036311_n.jpg

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
Congratulations on receiving an OTA update. We were not so lucky!

----------------

I just experienced a scary thing in my phone.
I had switched on and connected my Bluetooth headset while driving. When I checked the phone sometime later sitting in my office there was an outbound Bluetooth transfer icon in statusbar. On opening, it informed me that 2 pictures were sent to some device. I really jumped at this as I had clearly not sent anything like that. I thought dreaded thoughts that my phone has been hacked / had a virus (remembered Person of Interest)
But on closer inspection it turns out the reports were actually from November when I had sent those 2 photos to my friend.

Probably a bug somewhere due to which those reports were not cleared out earlier and now come back after the software update.

grinning_devil

Cyborg Agent
Updated mine ZL with 4.3 today - gave no message for an update OTA, but a prompt on PC Companion. Smooth process, though a bit time consuming.

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
This is funny to me. As has been mentioned in threads elsewhere regarding the 4.3 update, I can just confirm that Stamina forgets to turn off mobile data in low power mode.
In fact if it was on wifi, it switches over to mobile data!

Also the multiple taps of power button needed to wake the phone have started to make appearance too.

Further while I had never previously seen RAM usage go above 1.5 GB, now sometimes it consistently stays above 1.5 GB.

May be its time for a factory reset - restore or complete rebuild?

sujoyp

Grand Master
strange acts slingshot ....my stamina mode works fine....when screen is off wifi and 3G both just doent work (I am actually pissed by this) accidently forgetting to switch off stamina mode after charging ...and not getting any mails or whats up msges

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
This has been reported by others elsewhere particularly Sony official forum I think.

You can always add an exception for WhatsApp in Stamina settings. Further you can set Stamina to kick in after battery drains to 50% or something.

Top Bottom