Refusal to pay for apps/software

mohityadavx

Youngling
Well as LFC_Fan said that orange box has warning that it requires internet coonection og course its my friend's fault but his question to this is -

Why the hell I shall go through all these hassles when I have already paid to the damn developer Using pirated game is much more convenient

Last edited:

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Interesting/Educational/Eye opening thread. Thanks to the members for putting some points worth noting.

There are people who pirate stuff for the thrill.. and since they "can".
There are other people who are not aware that some softwares are not "meant" to be free. They also lack the knowledge that software costs resources like manpower and infrastructure.
Some are just incapable to spend due to lack of money (like hsr, lol). Of course there are alternatives to applications which such people use and can still revert to Open source if they want. :-D

While there are some niche categories of people who are incapable to spend even if they want to due to payment options (like me :rolleyes:), but then I don't pirate stuff anymore.

There are enough alternatives and resources to get any one started.

Quoting this from my post in an other forum:

"Let me first begin by saying that I am not against people who pirate, but many don't realize that majority of the times we don't need to pirate softwares.

Thanks to all those Open Source projects and supporters out there, like SourceForge and Mozilla we have no dearth of choices when it comes to software. Almost for every paid software we have a open source alternative. It just takes few more clicks to search for that.
For eg, on download.com you can apply a filter to see just the free to use apps.

That being said, there ARE some softwares which don't have open source alternative. Like Visual Studio and SQL Server. But guess what, you can get free and perfectly legal version of THEM TOO.
Dreamspark, a Microsoft's initiative provide free downloads to the students of schools and Universities of apps like Visual Studio 2010, SQL Server 2008 and Windows Server 2003!

Of course Linux is the best thing that could have happened to the world of OS. And it's free.

With all these free alternatives, I don't think there is any reason why someone, specially students (which majority of us are), needs to pirate anything!"

There's a reason for the following quote, "The best things in life are Free" ;)

CommanderShawnzer

Steam High Templar
Well as LFC_Fan said that orange box has warning that it requires internet coonection og course its my friend's fault but his question to this is -

Why the hell I shall go through all these hassles when I have already paid to the damn developer Using pirated game is much more convenient

why? because if you don't, how can the publisher be sure that YOU ARE NOT A PIRATE!!!!!!!!!

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend

Have to agree, DRM is retarded but let's face it - it's just due to the cheapo pirates that the companies got the excuse to shove DRM on our faces in the first place.
As for Steam is concerned, it contains integration with Steamworks and other such stuff.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
piracy pushes up the cost of the pirated software
its obviously not true that the entire software empire is funded by imbeciles too stupid to pirate software
people are willing to pay for stuff, its just that payment is not an option,
mostly because of factors like no internet option all the time, can't really imagine not being connected all the time when so many apps are web based

friend wanted to buy an Android app. for some reason, this particular one was not cheaper in the droid store when compared to the iOS store (Orbital). He was still ok with the pricing, but before he could pay, another friend downloaded and gave it to him for free.
now,friend of mine has a Macbook, and got a few games on some recent sales memorial day and because we may, picked up asphalt, world of goo and psychonauts (one of these is a mobile title btw). now a bunch of us played through the games, and were on the lookout for new ones, when people who didnt own the macbook offered their credit cards so my friend could buy more games - just so all of us could play through those ones as well.

so, when piracy is not an option (a) things are awesome cheap!! - ppl will buy apps for others, for devices they dont yet own, for no other reason than its a good game on sale and (b) people have absolutely no hang-ups about paying for it

OP
ssk_the_gr8

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
well as you've pointed out.. i guess drm was a step in the right direction, if not 100% right.
if there is no way to pirate, people will reluctantly pay and cost will go down for everybody

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
well as you've pointed out.. i guess drm was a step in the right direction, if not 100% right.
if there is no way to pirate, people will reluctantly pay and cost will go down for everybody

If the DRM actually works, so far it has only been pain for consumers. My friend bought some game, installed it and called me about why he has to put DVD in the drive every time he clicks the icon on the desktop to play (ye that's how he asked me). I told him its basic type of DRM, and if he does not want to go through this stupid activity every time, research on internet.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
DRM = Epic fail.
Steam is the ONLY DRM I can live with and that's only due to great discounts, summer/winter camp, Steamworks extra stuff, etc.

^ that is nothing but a pudding of crap. Anyone who knows the difference between static IP and dynamic IP should know it.

pramudit

Gaming hardcore
in india, people think that only hardware has got manufacturing costs but software is just copy paste so why buy it...
me and my friends also used pirated software for a long but now realising mistake we are now opting for FOSS alternatives and also asking others to quit pirated software...

kisame

King of Heroes
Pirating windows is a necessary evil(you wont be able to convince your parents to buy a piece of software).However if you are earning its your decision.
While I pirate windows,I use FOSS for everything else.e.g office,gimp,etc.

Top Bottom