Refusal to pay for apps/software

Sujeet

Undead!!!
Pirating windows is a necessary evil(you wont be able to convince your parents to buy a piece of software).However if you are earning its your decision.
While I pirate windows,I use FOSS for everything else.e.g office,gimp,etc.

That redeems you from Your sins of piracy.!:mrgreen::p

kisame

King of Heroes
That redeems you from Your sins of piracy.!:mrgreen::p

Right now piracy ain't a sin in India:p
Its in the mindset of the people that software is free:wink:.However that does not justify my acts of piracy but I have no choice.:cry:

masterkd

Padawan
Yea..I found lots of people(friends, co workers) laugh at me because I buy games and softwares..some of them even make jokes and taunt me when they get chance over this!!

I remember when I just got my 50th original game title, I was so excited, I bragged a little bit over it and one of my friend killed my mood(read: insulted me) because of my nature of asking others to buy original stuffs..the funny thing is he gets Rs. 20480 on last day of month in his account, develops software for living (works in IT industry)!!

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl
Yea..I found lots of people(friends, co workers) laugh at me because I buy games and softwares..some of them even make jokes and taunt me when they get chance over this!!

I remember when I just got my 50th original game title, I was so excited, I bragged a little bit over it and one of my friend killed my mood(read: insulted me) because of my nature of asking others to buy original stuffs..the funny thing is he gets Rs. 20480 on last day of month in his account, develops software for living (works in IT industry)!!

why dont u tell them that by buying an app u will have their support 24x7 and will get upgrades for less amounts and sometimes free,also will be free of virus.i respect people who r buying the original product,so kudos to u.it becomes 2X sin when u pirate something and brag about also making fun of them,who buys the product:D

ajai5777

Youngling
There is difference between incomes of people in developed countries compared to india. Thats why they can afford to pay for apps and games but for an indian the prices of games and applications are so high compared to the monthly income. How can some one with 15k salary afford a game @ 2.5k ? The only software I have ever bought is FIFA 12 @ 804/- as I am a die hard FIFA fan.I didnt have any other option to play online. I am against paying for apps and games unless it is cheap enough.

OP
ssk_the_gr8

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
There is difference between incomes of people in developed countries compared to india. Thats why they can afford to pay for apps and games but for an indian the prices of games and applications are so high compared to the monthly income. How can some one with 15k salary afford a game @ 2.5k ? The only software I have ever bought is FIFA 12 @ 804/- as I am a die hard FIFA fan.I didnt have any other option to play online. I am against paying for apps and games unless it is cheap enough.

again, it is not your birth right to use those apps, if you don't have the money don't buy it , don't justify your stealing

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend

Game at ₹2500? Those are usually Activision (morons) or Console games. Consoles are steep. On the other hand, PC games are cheap anyway.
FIFA @ ₹804 is reasonable. Bet you have treated yourself to dinners at restaurants at even higher prices. Imagine, ₹804 to enjoy a year of FIFA gaming. A year of entertainment. You'll find barely something as reasonable outside gaming. Heck you don't need to buy FIFA every year anyway, so it can be more.

The affordability argument is nothing but an idiotic excuse. If it is Adobe CS, I could give a benefit, they don't even apparently have student or startup based packages and they cost a bomb. Maybe even Windows and MS Office to an extent. But mobile software and games? NO EXCUSE AT ALL.

₹15k salary? Can easily afford to spend ₹7-8k over 3 years like I did and own 100+ games.

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent
again, it is not your birth right to use those apps, if you don't have the money don't buy it , don't justify your stealing

piracy is not stealing...piracy does not constitute direct loss of sale to company...stealing means going to the store ,taking something off the shelf and leave without paying it...so it constitutes some loss ..In doing so thief takes something tangible out of store...hence the cost involved in manufacturing the cd ,burning ,etc can cause loss.

But piracy means a person sits in front of computer ..opens some websites...downloading without the knowledge of company....he doesn't cause any manufacturing loss.. But that doesn't mean that he cost the company any money. Its not acceptable action.Thats All.

It's unfortunate that groups like the RIAA and other software companies equate piracy with stealing

The only way out is make people buy more software by making them feel the worth of
the money they pay.

1.Offer software by affordable pricing and innovative ways.
2.Provide Effortless way to buy and access software online.
3.Copy protection is OK.But should not nag legitimate users

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Piracy is definitely not stealing. Please don't use the mafIAA's language. Piracy is retarded for creative industries and the way it hurts open source but please it is not stealing.

theserpent

Firecracker to the moon
Game at ₹2500? Those are usually Activision (morons) or Console games. Consoles are steep. On the other hand, PC games are cheap anyway.
FIFA @ ₹804 is reasonable. Bet you have treated yourself to dinners at restaurants at even higher prices. Imagine, ₹804 to enjoy a year of FIFA gaming. A year of entertainment. You'll find barely something as reasonable outside gaming. Heck you don't need to buy FIFA every year anyway, so it can be more.

The affordability argument is nothing but an idiotic excuse. If it is Adobe CS, I could give a benefit, they don't even apparently have student or startup based packages and they cost a bomb. Maybe even Windows and MS Office to an extent. But mobile software and games? NO EXCUSE AT ALL.

₹15k salary? Can easily afford to spend ₹7-8k over 3 years like I did and own 100+ games

+1.Well even bethesda etc they put games for 2.5k How on earth can anyone buy it.
Yeah a person who earns 15k.Wont even think of buying a game costing 1k.
As his living expenses alone will account to around 12k(RENT+food+electricty+movies+hotels+mobile bills+transport).
Well i doubt he wil spend the remaining money on games :(.

Offtopic:
Eg a person in Mcdonalds in india earns 40/hour and can not afford an BIG Mac.A person in usa earns 360/hour.He can afford around 2 big macs.
This is not my calculation but it came in Times of india.
Same goes with a maid who works abroad she can easily earn 150-1200/daily compared to indias 50-100/daily.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
If the person who is earning 15k is spending ₹6-7k on graphics card, he can surely buy a game worth ₹1k every now and then. And he'll find a lot of games below $10 especially during Steam sales. There is absolutely no excuse. Whatsoever.

theserpent

Firecracker to the moon
If he is saving yes.Other wise i highly doubt he would game.As gaming is very expensive.There gamers who update worth 20-40k a year

ajai5777

Youngling
By 2.5k I meant COD. Think of windows OS, how many people will actually buy it for their desktop? I doubt even 5% of personal users buy it for their PC.But do microsoft take any action against OS piracy in india? Nothing they are silently allowing it and people get all the updates like paid version.Because they know that nobody is gonna buy it in that price in india except organisations.They dont want people to move away to free OS's thats why they do that. Our corrupted politicians, private organisations, even public sector organisations (oil companies) are stealing from us and making crores. Compared to that piracy is nothing. Piracy is already a part of our system. Without the pirated mp3s how many music players or mobiles would have been sold in india? Hardware sales will go all the way down if piracy is completely stopped in india. Companies know that and they dont want that to happen.Its all a game so enjoy your part in that ;)

Only way to reduce piracy is to make the pricing reasonable for software products in india.If one can afford the products in his budget why would he steal it?

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
By 2.5k I meant COD.
CoD is not even worth ₹500. It's not even worth looking at. Avoid the game.

Think of windows OS, how many people will actually buy it for their desktop?
Home Basic can be reasonable. Especially if you are building a PC > ₹35k. And you can always use a much superior operating system - Any of the mainstream Linux distros.
I doubt even 5% of personal users buy it for their PC.
They are not reasonably punished for it (either in terms of performance, features or fines).

But do microsoft take any action against OS piracy in india? Nothing they are silently allowing it and people get all the updates like paid version.Because they know that nobody is gonna buy it in that price in india except organisations.They dont want people to move away to free OS's thats why they do that.
Completely correct. And this is precisely why I am against piracy.

Our corrupted politicians, private organisations, even public sector organisations (oil companies) are stealing from us and making crores. Compared to that piracy is nothing
Unrelated stuff.
Piracy is already a part of our system. Without the pirated mp3s how many
music players or mobiles would have been sold in india?
Nope. Companies (the hardware ones) would have found innovative ways to push sale of MP3s.

Hardware sales will go all the way down if piracy is completely stopped in india. Companies know that and they dont want that to happen.Its all a game so enjoy your part in that ;)
Hardware sales would NOT be affected. Only the software giants like Microsoft, and Adobe will lose and people will move to Free software. In fact it will propel the sale of more hardware (the more use of Open source). Look at Android devices.

Only way to reduce piracy is to make the pricing reasonable for software products in india.If one can afford the products in his budget why would he steal it?
Games are completey reasonable. Research their prices before claiming anything. The point is people don't even try Steam sales, and quote one overrated game such as COD and try to portray as if they are overpriced. They are not.

ajai5777

Youngling
Not only COD even 1k for games is costly for an Indian. Hardware sales will be affected if piracy is completely stopped. If no free mp3s are available, music player sales will be affected, PS3 Xbox sales will be affected if pirated game discs are not available, graphics card, sytem components sales will be affected if all the games should be bought in order to play etc etc..

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Not only COD even 1k for games is costly for an Indian. Hardware sales will be affected if piracy is completely stopped. If no free mp3s are available, music player sales will be affected, PS3 Xbox sales will be affected if pirated game discs are not available, graphics card, sytem components sales will be affected if all the games should be bought in order to play etc etc..

:facepalm:

Dude.. do you even know.. what are you talking about? :?

koolent

Youngling

In favour or against piracy ?

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I used to think piracy is justified when I was a student, not earning and living off my parents income. But, now that I am earning, I feel somewhat ashamed about piracy and therefore try to buy games whenever I can.

However, IMHO, the companies themselves are responsible for piracy of their products. I am unable to purchase something from Steam because they do not accept Maestro cards, same for Google Play. For this purpose, I will have to transfer funds to another account, for which I have a Visa card, wait till the funds get credited and then buy it. Sometimes, I have missed a discount because the funds didn't get credited on time. Getting a pirated copy of the game/app is much less trouble in comparison.
Posted via Mobile Device

Top Bottom