Refusal to pay for apps/software

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
thanx to our local computer shopwalas, the notion of software being free had been embedded in our minds.(cheap antivirus being the only exception)

now i see people spending 25k -30k on the latest nokia, lg etc. phone and refusing to pay even 50 bucks for an app useful to them.They are willing to waste 500 bucks on a pizza but not 50 on an app and the worst part is the sense of achievement that people feel on doing this - Perfect example was one of my friends who quickly rooted his new optimus and downloaded several pirated APK's , deployed them and was so happy about it. there is absolutely no sense of regret. they simply don't understand that if they pay they'll get better software later, it will help in development.The kind of adrenaline rush that Indians get out of free stuff is hilarious.

So why is it so?

is it because apps/software are not physical that indians dont want to pay for them?
Most Indians don't consider pirating apps as stealing?
or because of the hypocritical and selfish nature of us indians?

What do you'll think?

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I think the Hardware resellers are at the crux of this scenario. Such a mindset has come to be because they have been bundling software with the machines for years. So, the common man's perception is that, software is part of the machine. If hardware resellers themselves give up piracy, people would then go for paid software (though I still doubt if it would do any good).

In India, most of the regular users and almost 3/4 of the gaming population is teenagers and kids. They get their dream phone or dream computer after months or weeks of pursuing their parents. Once they have them, no one will be obviously eager to spend any more on apps and games. The thing is that, people are willing to pay 1000 bucks a month for internet, 500 per month for 3g, and endless amounts for 'hanging' out and 'chilling'.
Social status is what matters, if one goes with his friends and buys him a single license game, and plays it, soon the friends will disappear. They are willing to pay that much so that they live a 'cool' lifestyle. The Indian youth has considered buying software 'weak' and not worthy. Cracking and breaking is their hip.
I have no pirated applications in my phone or pc(except Adobe Photoshop - costs $199 same as my phone's price). I do pirate music because NONE of my music preferences are available as hard copies in my state.

Everyone claim they are jailbreaking/rooting/hacking their phone OS for developer purposes and overclocking, but the sad truth is apks and ipas

koolent

Youngling
The thing with me are the parents.. If its a book of 700, they will insist on it. But if I want to get an app or game for that amount, they s
Say "Kya Karoge itna mehnga wala lekar." LOL

So, it is that parents do not understand cyberspace or all that stuff.. If they do, they think it will disturb the studies.. My life is sucked because of that..

They want us to study and screw all that playing.. They consider it a waste of time and think it does only destroy you..

I am a victim of this and against piracy but what to do.. :-(

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
FYI, its not just the hipsters. Almost everyone does it. My college used to use pirated copies of windows as well, but when someone took objection, they moved to Linux.

^ true, my school used to have pirated windows and I along with the computer staff asked the principal to buy Windows, and soon we moved to Linux .__.

However my college is fully OSS, Debian everywhere, except in a few M.Tech lab systems

koolent

Youngling
My f***ing school has always been using pirated Vista.. We ask them to move and get a scolding.. WTF..

They just don't care..

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
when you pay for groceries, electricity, water... why not pay for apps as well?

when you pirate a movie or a song, there is no stress on the resources of the publisher
when a game gets pirated, the studio still has to allocate resources for the increased server load, and there is also the cost of giving support to all the pirated copies

good news is that the publishers are meeting us half way, even games you play alone on your system needs to connect to a server
Steam is a good example of this, if paying really gets convenient, and support and updates un-intrusive, you can expect that platform to flourish

Champ

.NET Guru
We do it simply because we can, Give us a way of getting free hardware and we will take that also.

Its good that in India we don't get hardware at subsidized rates/free with contract, or number of defaulters will be quite high :wink:

nbaztec

Master KOD3R
We do it simply because we can, Give us a way of getting free hardware and we will take that also.

Its good that in India we don't get hardware at subsidized rates/free with contract, or number of defaulters will be quite high :wink:
This. Exactly.

Now only to figure out how to pirate free pizzas. Don't worry I'll buy one if I like it :p

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Because Indians have no conscience or respect for people's hard work. They only know how to do jugaad, corruption, talk shite and stick with their retarded cultural beliefs.
And since software isn't really a show off either, while hardware like Galaxy SII/iPhone/Lumia 800 is, you know what they'll invest on.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
main problem is not the price. if online shops start selling mobile software or at least licenses, piracy in the mobile space will almost completely disappear. cause if you want to buy an app, you need a credit card. then also not just any credit card will work. And then those who plays mobile games and try different apps are mostly students. Its not easy for us to get hold of a credit card. Surely, if they can deduct the price of app from recharge we do or add it to postpaid bill and still if piracy continues then you can say Indians are retarded.

secondly, some ppls feel cool and proud of themselves when they use a pirated app when even a free one will work. My friends who own an Android play NFS Shift. not cause its fun to play but for showoff. You can brag that your mobile runs a great game that cost ~500.

i read somewhere that 80% peoples who own the game Ridge Racer are pirates. And thats a huge number. Ubisoft has also said it may stop developing games for windows as the profit is just not there at all. And soon other studios may join them.

Sujeet

Undead!!!
Indian culture is to blame.

All Hail in the name of Dooming Indian Culture.!:razz:

Please make the hidden Indian Culture thread Visible again and Unlock it and Keep Posting all those criticism about Indian Culture on different Topics there.

Last edited:

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
All Hail in the name of Dooming Indian Culture.!

Please make the hidden Indian Culture thread Visible again and Unlock it and Keep Posting all those criticism about Indian Culture on different Topics there.

Funny how the use of the word "culture" winds up so many. If you people had that much care about civic sense, ethics and sensibility, we would be living in a much better country.

papul1993

not a newbie.....
I think SBI branches here(near where I live, not in the whole state) use pirated Windows XP. They use web pages to do all the work.(In IE 6) No software on the local machine. They can easily use Linux. But who is gonna tell them?

OP
ssk_the_gr8

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
Social status is what matters, if one goes with his friends and buys him a single license game, and plays it, soon the friends will disappear. They are willing to pay that much so that they live a 'cool' lifestyle. The Indian youth has considered buying software 'weak' and not worthy. Cracking and breaking is their hip.

Everyone claim they are jailbreaking/rooting/hacking their phone OS for developer purposes and overclocking, but the sad truth is apks and ipas

true, this sadly is due to the indian culture. people here consider breaking rules to be cool. if you break a line in england 10 people will frown upon you. the same indian will stand in a line their but not here.*hypocrisy*
if the police catches you, and you dial your "chacha's" number and you are released without any chalan etc. all your friends are in awe of you.
This attitude is so wrong. the feeling that we are above the law.
Same happens with software, pirating is cool and buying is stupid

The thing with me are the parents..

I am a victim of this and against piracy but what to do.. :-(

true, parents need to understand cyberspace, but if you cant buy the latest smartphone do you go and steal it? it's all about the ease with which pirated s/w is available

good news is that the publishers are meeting us half way, even games you play alone on your system needs to connect to a server
Steam is a good example of this, if paying really gets convenient, and support and updates un-intrusive, you can expect that platform to flourish

Steam is definitely good, similar approch is their on windows phone and iOS.
Sadly the flourishing OS is the one where it is easy to pirate apps.

well said , this is the indian mindset. Sad.

Because Indians have no conscience or respect for people's hard work. They only know how to do jugaad, corruption, talk shite and stick with their retarded cultural beliefs.
And since software isn't really a show off either, while hardware like Galaxy SII/iPhone/Lumia 800 is, you know what they'll invest on.

Show off is another very true point. Shallow is the word that comes to mind.

if you want to buy an app, you need a credit card. then also not just any credit card will work. And then those who plays mobile games and try different apps are mostly students.

Debit cards are now accepted my most stores

Funny how the use of the word "culture" winds up so many. If you people had that much care about civic sense, ethics and sensibility, we would be living in a much better country.

true, culture word makes them feel as if they, their family etc. are being pointed at. Which btw is True.

Basic civic sense is so absent that it's amazing. Lady throws garbage on the road and complains about the city being dirty!

P.S- i hope this does not become the culture thread again :|

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Problem is we're exposed to all sorts of foul methods from starting, which creates a thinking in our mind that if free, then why to pay?

Lack of knowledge and ignorance is also responsible, for instance people will spend 500 every year on an anti-virus when they can get better protection by using a free anti-virus + self protection measures, but won't spend on a mobile app costing 50rs.

As far I'm considered, I'm fully willing to pay for mobile applications as they cost as much they should, but PC apps are just too costly. OS for 10k? Never. Better use linux.

Sujeet

Undead!!!

"Gehun ke sath Ghun bhi Pis-ta hai".
Only in case you know what it means.

Top Bottom