gameranand

Living to Play
I am actually talking abov the details. I have played borderlands and have completed it. Yes it was fun. In rage each and every bullet has a impact on the foe to which they react so weapons feels powerful.

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
I am actually talking abov the details. I have played borderlands and have completed it. Yes it was fun. In rage each and every bullet has a impact on the foe to which they react so weapons feels powerful.
I have played Borderlands 3 times now. RAGE has a minor hit-detection issue. I noticed it this morning. I was on a mission in which Dan handed me a Sniper and asked me to destroy the barricade to a specific location. When I reached there, there were about half-a-dozen bandits. The guy with the rocket launcher was my first target and I couldn't get him even after emptying an entire clip on him, which was ridiculous. I even got a clear head-shot at one point, but the next thing you know, he's still dandy and kind enough to greet me with another rocket. A few others had to take around 3 sniper rounds before they finally went down. Borderlands has endless variety of weapons, each with different amount of impact/mods/elemental damage attached to it. Tkin would be happy to list them out.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Doesn't look good. What about story and gameplay?

HARDOCP - Introduction - RAGE Gameplay Performance and Image Quality

cyborg47

Technomancer
Why compare the gunplay to borderlands?!
Rage's gunplay is a total rip off from the previous ID games which, is AWESOME!! :p
The only reason Im addicted to this game right now is for the gunplay, the AI and the animation engine are impressive too.
EDIT- never got to play Borderlands for more than an hour, thats probably the reason Im enjoying Rage.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Doesn't look good. What about story and gameplay?

HARDOCP - Introduction - RAGE Gameplay Performance and Image Quality

Seems nvidia cards are faring a lot better in opengl titles now. This game has a gpu transcoding feature which works only in nvidia cards since it uses cuda codepath. Reduces texture pop-ins by copying the game textures to gpu vram. Amd cards were unable to use this feature.

The 560-ti gave 58fps at 2560x1600 with 8x AA. Even 6950 failed to do that and all it could handle max was 4x. Interestingly, 6870 fares better.

If you are undaunted by the heaps of negative attention this game received at launch and you want to play RAGE anyway, you'll want to do so with an NVIDIA video card for the very best in performance and image quality. It ultimately matters very little as the difference in the gameplay experience was just not that pronounced, but NVIDIA GPUs gave us consistently higher performance even with less expensive video cards. The AMD video cards we used performed well too, but were simply outclassed. If you want to play RAGE on a budget, the Radeon HD 6870 and the GeForce GTX 560 Ti would be great choices. If your budget isn't so lean, pick any current-generation $200 USD+ video card and it's a good bet you'll get the best this game has to offer.

Rage gives us an indication how doom4 will look like and perform.

Amen to that. :twisted:

Last edited:

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was actually trying to point to the last portion of the 6th page of the review:-

HARDOCP - Image Quality - RAGE Gameplay Performance and Image Quality

Low-Detail Textures

RAGE is awash with low-detail textures. Some objects appear very blurry, while some look basically OK. Characters look better than anything else, and almost all objects look bad up close.

The following screenshots depict some examples we spotted when playing RAGE.

And this on the last page:-

Mega Texturing as a concept has promise. Its implementation in RAGE, however, is problematic. While we are on no account experts in texturing technology, we know low-resolution textures when we see them. Many objects look fine from a distance in RAGE, but when viewed at point blank they offer no more detail than they did at 20 paces. Sure, many (or most) of them have a lot of texture compression artifacts to show up close, but that isn't really a good thing. Regardless of how cool or effective (or ineffective) the technology behind the textures is, if the textures themselves are bad, the technology can be perceived as bad. And if RAGE is a good example of what Mega Texturing can do...well...it looks bad. There is no simpler way to put it.
Are they so bad?

quicky008

Technomancer
I've been running this game on a geforce 450 and using version 285.38 of nvidia's beta drivers.Even after installing Rage update 1,I still encounter serious texture pop-in issues which renders this game almost unplayable!

I've enabled GPU transcoding and even created a separate cache folder manually under AppData but this has not been of any use as I still witness texture popping while playing the game :(

Can anyone suggest how i can get rid of this problem completely?

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
So id has gone the other way this time: Doom 3 - superb graphics, swallow game. Rage - solid game, bad graphics.

Is it like that?

Nope its not like that at all. Rage has terrific graphics which rivals most dx 11 titles in the market. Opengl graphics at its best. Some texturing issues here and there. No big deal as hardocp puts it.

Check this.

Piyush

Lanaya
hmmm..so after reading this whole discussion, I feel that I should skip my plans of getting this game.
If after 1gb update, a game is that much buggy, then whats the point?

Also as Ethan said , the weapons are underpowered (i'm referring the sniper mission ) which kills most of the fun.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
@vicky: Some issues? Even Gamespot has reported the same:

The Good

Impressive artistic design
A host of charismatic characters
Enjoyable array of weapons and items
Speedy and gratifying vehicular action.

The Bad

Numerous visual bugs
Inconsistent textures

Story isn't strong enough to make you care about the primary conflict.

Also the metacritic score is poor: Rage for PC Reviews, Ratings, Credits, and More at Metacritic

3.9 User Score after 600 votes!!! :shock:

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ Yup some texture pop-ins but a graphical marvel. Gamespot says the same. Actually it has received good rating for consoles, but due to bugs, pc scores are a bit less.

It has very good graphics. Try it mate and you'll know.

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
Also as Ethan said , the weapons are underpowered (i'm referring the sniper mission ) which kills most of the fun.
I'm never said the weapons are under-powered. The game has a hit-detection issue, which means, at times it won't register a shot, even though you aimed it accurately. This doesn't happen all the time, just on rare occasions. It was even mentioned in the Game Trailer review.

cyborg47

Technomancer
Nope its not like that at all. Rage has terrific graphics which rivals most dx 11 titles in the market. Opengl graphics at its best. Some texturing issues here and there. No big deal as hardocp puts it.

Check this.

The textures look terrific from distance. Go close to them, and be ready to puke! they're that crap.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Exactly what HardOCP has stated.

@vicky: 60 USD is a bit too much to try. :(

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
I'm never said the weapons are under-powered. The game has a hit-detection issue, which means, at times it won't register a shot, even though you aimed it accurately. This doesn't happen all the time, just on rare occasions. It was even mentioned in the Game Trailer review.

Might be the invincibility issue during hit animation, used to happen in STALKER.

Top Bottom