Purchasing an Android cellphone

OP
I

insaneYLN

In the zone
Thank you for all your genuine suggestions my Friends.
:smile:

S2 has bit more RAM while Sensation has 300 Mhz more clock speed. I dunno if it makes much difference when it comes to daily usage.

Sense UI is as amazing as ever but when you weigh it against AMOLED Display, it probably becomes to harder choose between the two.

Yes ajaymailed, I am also concerned whether the less amount of RAM in the HTC Sensation XE hinder the performance of the device in the long run of usage?
Also, I seemed to have been oblivious of the display types of the said devices. Thank you for highlighting it.
I reckon the AMOLED display of the Samsung Galaxy S II is superior to the S-LCD display of the HTC Sensation XE.
:?

I await your further deliberations.
Thank you all once again.

aroraanant

Explorer
^^
For Dual core processors 786 RAM is enough.1GB ram won't be utilized
And if we see S2 has 480 x 800 pixels,217 ppi pixel density where as XE has 540 x 960 pixels,256 ppi pixel density screen.So XE screen is better
And also the processor in XE is better.

red dragon

Master troll
^^Pixel density is not everything.
I have both the gs2 and a xe(loan from a friend) with me now.
Regarding screen-XE wins in browsing(small texts appear clearer without zoom in XE)
but that is about it.
When you see side by side GS2`s screen absolutely blows away XE.
Colours seems washed out,viewing angle is comparatively poor.
I can not find any colour banding in the GS2 with 2.3.6 android.

XE does have a decent screen,but is not comparable with SAMOLED or the ip4 for that matter.

The worst thing about XE is the battery life...I hated the GS2 for having a poor battery,but this htc flagship is by far one of the worst I have seen.
I charged it overnight,put it in airplane mode and looped a 30 minutes 720p mp4 video clip..and to my horror,it lasted for a mere 3hr 15minutes.
Brightness was set to minimum watchable level indoors.

Today I played the same clip with gs2,this time data was off,but not in airplane mode....it easily crossed 5hrs with 20% still remaining(brightness set to minimal watchable indoors)

Agreed,the GS2 is non stock and is tweaked to squeeze out the best possible battery/performance ratio and the XE was complete stock(I could not underclock it with set cpu,so could not play with the settings),but still do not know,who is the culprit here...
My guess would be the Sense u.i. or the power guzzling cpu(which can not be undervolted).

Used dice player in both,and I am sure stock Samsung player would give better battery life.

Last edited:
OP
I

insaneYLN

In the zone
A general query regarding Android

Hello Friends :wave:

I have a general query concerning the Android platform. Does each major version of Android have specific pre-defined hardware requirements?

For example, will Android 2.3 [Gingerbread] or Android 4.0 [Ice Cream Sandwich] be stable on a 600-800MHz processor? Or does it depend collaboratively or solely on the amount of RAM the concerned device has?

A friend of mine has the Sony Ericsson Xperia X8, which has Android 2.1 [Eclair] pre-installed on it. The 2.1 is the only official update available from Sony Ericsson.
My friend intends on rooting his device and performing subsequent upgrades - 2.2, then 2.3 and finally 4.0, with passage of time.

Personally, I am unaware if any or all of the above 3 updates/upgrades are available "unofficially" for his device.
Since the Xperia X8 runs on a 600MHz processor, are there any limitations with regards to his upgrading endeavours?
:unsure:

Awaiting your apt responses.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Re: A general query regarding Android

I have a general query concerning the Android platform. Does each major version of Android have specific pre-defined hardware requirements?

NO.

For example, will Android 2.3 [Gingerbread] or Android 4.0 [Ice Cream Sandwich] be stable on a 600-800MHz processor? Or does it depend collaboratively or solely on the amount of RAM the concerned device has?

ram matters but as long as it has 256Mb ram, Android will run. but the free ram will be less and hence hamper running apps.

A friend of mine has the Sony Ericsson Xperia X8, which has Android 2.1 [Eclair] pre-installed on it. The 2.1 is the only official update available from Sony Ericsson.
My friend intends on rooting his device and performing subsequent upgrades - 2.2, then 2.3 and finally 4.0, with passage of time.

why? why not directly jump to Android 4.0 (or 2.3 for time being) when a stable custom rom is launched.

Personally, I am unaware if any or all of the above 3 updates/upgrades are available "unofficially" for his device.
Since the Xperia X8 runs on a 600MHz processor, are there any limitations with regards to his upgrading endeavours?

600Mhz should be considered as bare minimum for Android 4.0 & 350Mb ram is needed else there is a chance of slowdown & maybe some kind of low memory error msg.

XPERIA X8 Android Development

check the link (or give it to your friend). Android 4.0 rom is already available in the form of Cyanogenmod 9

sanoob.tv

Dr.gB
well i have used sgs2 for a month,n my frnd recently purchased htc sensation xe with the help of TDF members.

sgs2-lighter,slimmer,good display.:mrgreen:

htc sensation xe-unique looks,heavier:cry:,special beats edition(awesome)
n the dr.dre earphones,man its awesome:shock:.best earphones i ever tried on.good quality sound and noise cancellation.

both models promises ics 4.0 update(may be april 2012):razz:

if you like Sony ericson phones,many TDF members suggested waiting for Sony ericson Xperia s..
:):)
and the Earphones that comes with HTC sensation only work with HTC sensation XE.it didnt work with my Walkman wt19i,nokia,or galaxy s2.:cry:

*plus.google.com/photos/103525293834393889860/albums/5716106128437330753?authkey=COid5cbOlP-rCw

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
^^ exactly what i read. the headphone only with with XE cause it has special software by Dr.Dre to recognize and work with the headphones. BTW, what is the sound quality with normal headphones?

OP
I

insaneYLN

In the zone
Re: A general query regarding Android

Thank you very much Sam for clarifying my queries and providing that valuable link to xda-developers. :toast:
I am a novice and a dunce in the field of mobile computing. :noob:

Pardon my stupidity, but I am a bit confused with your following quotes -
:ashamed:
ram matters but as long as it has 256Mb ram, Android will run. but the free ram will be less and hence hamper running apps.

600Mhz should be considered as bare minimum for Android 4.0 & 350Mb ram is needed else there is a chance of slowdown & maybe some kind of low memory error msg.

I wish to learn as much as I can and whatever I can from all of you my Friends in the hardware and software realms of mobile computing.

Last edited:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
^^ my pleasure :smile:

well Xperia X8 have only 256Mb ram of which some is dedicated to graphics processor, some for the system and rest is available to user (~50Mb). so ICS may not be smooth for now but once CM9 is stable, it'll for sure.

also as X8 have Qualcomm MSM7227 600Mhz processor so it'll run Android 4.0 just fine. no lag or anything. the only problem can be with lack of ram. 256Mb is way too less most of the time.

OP
I

insaneYLN

In the zone
^^ my pleasure :smile:

well Xperia X8 have only 256Mb ram of which some is dedicated to graphics processor, some for the system and rest is available to user (~50Mb). so ICS may not be smooth for now but once CM9 is stable, it'll for sure.

also as X8 have Qualcomm MSM7227 600Mhz processor so it'll run Android 4.0 just fine. no lag or anything. the only problem can be with lack of ram. 256Mb is way too less most of the time.

Thank you very much Sam and my sincerest apologies for the delayed response. :ashamed:

Seems like my lethargic behaviour more than perseverance has payed dividends! One of my uncles has benevolently offered to buy me a new cellphone of my choice. :hyper:
Hence, the Samsung Galaxy Note has gained immense personal attention!! :doublethumb:

Samsung Galaxy Note - Android 2.3 - 8MP - 5.3-inch WXGA HD sAMOLED - Samsung UK - OVERVIEW

I intend on purchasing it from Amazon UK.
Amazon.co.uk: Used and New: Samsung Galaxy Note N7000 16GB Sim Free Mobile Phone - Dark Blue

What are its pros and cons? Is it safe to presume this device is future-proof, atleast for another 3 years?
Awaiting your suggestions and opinions my Friends.

Last edited:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Thank you very much Sam and my sincerest apologies for the delayed response. :ashamed:

no problem :)

What are its pros and cons? Is it safe to presume this device is future-proof, atleast for another 3 years?
Awaiting your suggestions and opinions my Friends.

if you are getting it from Amazon, why not this? Sony XPERIA S

also check HTC One X though it'll take another 20 or so days to appear at Amazon and may go out of stock rightway.

OP
I

insaneYLN

In the zone
Sam, thank you once again for your suggestions. :smile:

The HTC One X is a beast! 1.5GHz quad core CPU, NVIDIA Tegra 3 Chipset, ULP GeForce GPU running on Android 4.0 ...:wow:

HTC One X Product Overview - HTC Smartphones

Amazon UK states that the phone is due to be released on 05 April 2012.
*www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0078LXM4A/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

But apart from games, will other apps take advantage of the quad core design, or will a dual core based device suffice?
:unsure:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
the AT&T bound X One is even better. HTC One X for AT&T gets benchmarked, looks impressive.

for now, its mainly game. video too but 1080p video can be played on a S2 also.

OP
I

insaneYLN

In the zone
Leaving the HTC One X aside, the choice has to be between the Samsung Galaxy Note or the Sony Xperia S. :reading:

Samsung Galaxy Note vs. Sony Xperia S - GSMArena.com

aroraanant

Explorer
Xperia S hasn't been launched yet but is expected to come soon.
And as soon as Xperia will come in the market,hopefully in a couple of weeks we can see the One X also.
So the choice should be in the currently available phones i.e. Note and Sensation XE.
Otherwise nothing beats One X

OP
I

insaneYLN

In the zone
The HTC One X is in a league of its own, till a potential competitor arises. :mrgreen:

The Sony Xperia S is available in the UK. :thumbs:

*www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/...sip&me=&qid=&sr=&seller=&colid=&condition=new

But does the Sony Xperia S overshadow the Samsung Galaxy Note in any respect? Pardon my naivety. :ashamed:

Top Bottom