** Post all your BSNL Broadband Related Queries Here **

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Few times a year my internet would experience frequent disconnection, many a times it correlates with rain/heavy wind (not that everytime it rains I have this issue, just that it happens around the same time mostly. Don't remember experiencing this issue any other times). One of the thing I check is looking for CRC errors, usually it raises to 65000+ errors either or both down/up stream. Sometimes it clears on it's own sometimes, they have to make a multiple visit over few weeks to fix it. Despite after facing it this many times, I don't know the actual reason for the trouble, and even they don't know for sure. Only if we had known, we can go there straight and fix it.

Couple of weeks back it rained, and the issue popped up, booked a complaint. Next day I was told they will come and check, no one showed up. Later in the evening, they called and asked how is it and I said it's still the same. Probably the guy who called me thought that someone showed here and fixed it. After a week I was still experiencing, so booked again (looks like the previous complaint was closed without any action). Next day they called and said they will come to check, at the time of their visit it was working. So they just unplugged and replugged the cables, and asked to call them when there is a issue and they can't do a lot right now as it is working. Now I don't know if BSNL don't have enough man power or hired someone who don't know how to fix things (after the last year bulk VRS thing).

It's still the same, so booked again two days later and this time JTO called and enquired about modem and said it could be your modem as it's over 3yrs old. I don't know if they tried anything in the last 10 days to fix it before turning the table and say it could be modem. I didn't want to lose my temper, I agreed and I was given his phone number to contact. Later that evening, I borrowed ex-BSNL subscriber's modem (they moved to fiber) to check. That night internet gone disconnected and never came back.

Next day I reported this, they are still saying it could be the modem. Both data and link lights are not lit, modem page 192.168.1.1 shows it's down. Could it still be the modem? I don't know. After explaining that even with the alternate modem, it's the same. Finally, they said they are sending someone and as usual no one showed up till evening. So called him, since he asked me to call his number I didn't book a complaint this time. It was busy and I waited for about 15 minutes and called again, didn't pickup. Few days back the guy showed up said, if there is issue book the complaint and we will come and check. Don't call exchange or us, as we could be busy and forget. Remembered that I booked the complaint. A while later JTO called and asked what's the issue (as if I haven't explained it in the last 10 days or so) and said "let me see if anyone is around". Called me again within few minutes to know the exact location of my place and no one showed till the end of the office hours.

Now I am thinking of closing this service and move to fiber. Don't know what kinda new troubles is waiting for me there. I have been hesitating to move to fiber solely because of initial fee/charges and deposits. First I don't know who have fiber in my place. When I asked BSNL few months back, they said there is no fiber in my place. I asked one of the BSNL guy today, he is not sure as they have outsourced this to local vendor and asked to check with him. When I contacted him, he is also not sure and have to check with the cable guys as they are the ones who work @ ground level. For sure they have lines 250-300m from my place (3 streets away), don't know if they can bring the line to my place. Despite that he explained the plans and fees/charges and after hearing that I feel like I should drop the idea of moving to fiber as the initial costs+first month bill alone costs me a over year worth of broadband rental. None of the offers running currently would be applicable for me and they won't give base plan.

Not sure about Airtel, they have posters about 300m from my place. I called, but he is not sure if they can give line. But the prices are much better than BSNL. But there is no clarity in few things, he said there is no deposit and it's a postpaid plan. But still asking me to pay the first month rent in advance. When I asked him, "so that one month rent is deposit, right?", he says no. Okay, is it prepaid like in Jio, again he says no. Then what it is??? I don't know if he screwed up explaining or I am too dumb to understand it. If it's not prepaid, and if it's not deposit, then why I have to pay it?

Don't like Jio as I have first hand experience with their Jio Phone. Substandard product, pathetic customer service. Don't know if they have fiber in my place.

Sorry for the long post...

quicky008

Technomancer
Like you i was also fed up with BSNL's substandard service and so i quit using BSNL and moved to mobile internet (4g). Although its not a truly unlimited connection it still gives a lot better and stabler connectivity experience as compared to bsnl's worthless dataone broadband service-speeds are faster too,the last time i had bsnl it gave a paltry download speed of 200 kbps-yes 200 kbps in this day and age when even low end mobile service providers offer speeds of upto 1 MBps or more!!

Also i had their unlimited combo package and had to spend around 800-900 Rs per month on phone bills.And despite the fact that my connection often broke down and i was without internet for over 2 weeks at a stretch at times,they offered me no refunds, nor did they adjust the phone bill accordingly(even after writing to their local head office several times) and i had to pay the entire bill amount even during those situations.

So i was sick and tired of using bsnl and had no choice but to stop using it!

ps unfortunately no other reliable bb provider is available in our area (i am from south 24 pgs in west bengal) ,including airtel,tata,jio fiber etc.Cable is available,but their service is just as pathetic as bsnl's,if not worse.

Reactions: nac

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
What are your neighbours experience with Jio and airtel? See with fiber, you may too experience some problems. In my case, in past 6months, Someone cut my fiber wire 3 times at different locations, 6 times the service was down from backend. Sometimes i had to wait 6-7 days as the fiber cable required special tool and technician to join and either he was not available or the machine was not working. this was experience with Local Fiber provider. Now its my last week of local fiber and i am switching to jiofiber as it has proper wiring in my area (underground, with proper protection ) and the service quality is high with only 1 down time in the one year that too because some stupid dug the wrong side of road and damaged the line. I would have switched to jiofiber long back, but i had bought 6month pack.

i was using connect dsl in my hometown. That was the worse in my opinion, it was down most of the time, like 12 out of 30 days. But now airtel dsl is there so i will switch to that.

so again it depends in the service in your area.

also, try to avoid 6month pack, first test it and then switch.

Reactions: nac

nac

Aspiring Novelist
When I asked about port reset (as I didn't even get link (DSL)), I was told it's old tech and no one is resetting port now. After checking it now they are saying they have to check the port and as no one is in the exchange right now I will have to wait. Wonderful :-|

$hadow

Geek in making
When I asked about port reset (as I didn't even get link (DSL)), I was told it's old tech and no one is resetting port now. After checking it now they are saying they have to check the port and as no one is in the exchange right now I will have to wait. Wonderful :-|
These ONTs are mainly useless.
You can't use anything else due to the so called proprietary port necessity since it is "more secure" from BSNL pov

nac

Aspiring Novelist
These ONTs are mainly useless. You can't use anything else due to the so called proprietary port necessity since it is "more secure" from BSNL pov
By the way, I am using telephone line broadband. Yet to switch to fiber.

As usual they close the case even before fixing it but this time I received a messge saying that the case is fixed. So went to the exchange, asked to check the port and waited for about 45 minutes. After trying for over half an hour, he said go home and he will change port. I come home and see the DSL line is stable now. But no data and phone keeps making beeping sound as soon as I take the receiver. Waited for few hours and still the same, called the exchange and was told it will take time and expect to get connection tomorrow morning. I said it's Sunday tomorrow, but he says no issues I will get it. Let's hope. :Fingerx:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
By the way, I am using telephone line broadband. Yet to switch to fiber.

As usual they close the case even before fixing it but this time I received a messge saying that the case is fixed. So went to the exchange, asked to check the port and waited for about 45 minutes. After trying for over half an hour, he said go home and he will change port. I come home and see the DSL line is stable now. But no data and phone keeps making beeping sound as soon as I take the receiver. Waited for few hours and still the same, called the exchange and was told it will take time and expect to get connection tomorrow morning. I said it's Sunday tomorrow, but he says no issues I will get it. Let's hope. :Fingerx:

So the connection is back by now or not ?

one more sufferer of BSNL here and like @quicky008 using mobile data right now only. So you can try that but first make sure which operators 4g is giving best speed in your area.

BTW, one intesring and rather odd and wonderful thing happened with one of my BSNL 3G connection ... I was on 1GB/Day plan and getting Unlimited data @ 700-1100 KB/s ... The party may be ended starting from last day as I was only able to use 2GB+. Don't know how this happened but the party started from jan 21 :D

Last edited:

nac

Aspiring Novelist
^ No, it's still down :(

Only mobile connection I have is again BSNL and I am still using a feature phone. So I have to use my USB dongle (3G) to use internet which I am using right now. It's not good enough for my use case, it's slow. Once in a while it will spike to 1mbps, and that's only when Windows related things like update I will get that speed. Other than that I get about 100/200kbps, even when I try youtube, it will keep buffering and won't cross 100/200kbps. I don't know how is BSNL 4G in my area, have to ask around. But if I have to go that route, I have to shell out at least about 2k to get 4G dongle. New Airtel Fiber connection costs about the same :-|

quicky008

Technomancer
Earlier i was using jio 4g but now i have switched to vodafone 4g as they are offering night unlimited plans on their data+voice packages worth Rs 249 and 299.During daytime the speeds stay between 1-1.5 MBps and sometimes drops to 400-500 kbps depending on network conditions but at night time,esp. after 1 pm it gives good speeds ranging from 2 MBps and all the way upto 4 MBps.

Its still a lot better than that disgusting BSNL broadband.BSNL's employees are corrupt and demand huge sums of money even for fixing basic problems (which they are supposed to do for free).Once i had to pay someone Rs 2000 to fix a severed telephone cable-he didn't even replace the cable but joined the 2 broken ends by tying them with each other! Needless to say,that thing barely lasted a week and broke down again-and this time he demanded around Rs 1000 to come and fix the same problem!

Their local office appears to be on some kind of an everlasting strike and whenever i called them up and asked their manager to send a technician to check for faults in my telephone line he said with a markedly rustic accent that its not possible as no employees are coming to work because of their ongoing strike and they have said if anybody dares to work in these circumstances they will beat him to death in front of everyone! That's why i had to pay some local bsnl employees to come and fix problems which they ought to have done for free,as no one ever bothers to come from the local exchange-and those people make a killing in this situation by charging an arm or a leg even for fixing extremely basic issues.

Also like nac,they always closed cases even without fixing the problem.And whenever there is heavy rainfall their entire office gets flooded and telephones stop working for over a week or even longer.

I happen to know some employees of bsnl who have been serving as managers/officers in various exchanges of west bengal.Many of them are rumoured not to even have a legit graduate degree and have allegedly procured fake certificates from dodgy universities of Bihar/bengal etc.

I wonder how these worthless and incompetent people with fake degrees managed to get selected for such important posts-perhaps through their contacts in political parties or bsnl itself!

No wonder this organization is in such a horrible state today-its only a few steps away from completely falling apart.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
I have been using BSNL for about a decade now, and never seen anyone asking for money to fix the problem.

Don't remember if there was a time the internet was down this long before. To give the benefit of doubt, not much man power after bulk VRS and due to lockdown, not everyone is working. Only if they had listened what I was saying when I said it's totally down, they would've checked my line @ exchange level and proceeded from there to find where the fault was.

quicky008

Technomancer
@nac:Maybe the employees of bsnl are not that much unscrupulous in your region.Contrary to your experiences however when i was on bsnl,i experienced downtimes with my internet connection frequently,sometimes for as long as one entire month! (i am not bluffing). It took several frustrating tries to get the connection working,including multiple phone calls to the local exchange,sending emails to their kolkata head office and so on,and sometimes even that yielded no results whatsoever.

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
@nac:Maybe the employees of bsnl are not that much unscrupulous in your region.Contrary to your experiences however when i was on bsnl,i experienced downtimes with my internet connection frequently,sometimes for as long as one entire month! (i am not bluffing). It took several frustrating tries to get the connection working,including multiple phone calls to the local exchange,sending emails to their kolkata head office and so on,and sometimes even that yielded no results whatsoever.
That's it.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Looks like everyone took off today, exchange is locked. Visited in person twice already, once around 11am and once around 1400hrs. :(

I guess it's no point in waiting for them anymore. Asked few people, they are few streets away and suggesting Jio and find it okay. Yeah, they are using Jio Fiber. Will decide end of the day or tomorrow and move to fiber.

quicky008

Technomancer
@nac: are you from west bengal?I had very similar experiences with the telephone exchange existing at our place-so i quit finally out of sheer frustration.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
No man, I am from Tamilnadu.

One of the people I asked gave Jio local guy's number, contacted him. Looks like he has given connection in our area and he can give connection within few hours if I confirm booking. Something I want is quick, would love to hear if this had come from Airtel. Just wrestling if have to other's word about Jio or my personal take. Gotta decide, and decide quick.

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
I was in BSNL Landline(General Plan) + BroadBand(RJ-45) connection since 1988 , Broadband connection from 2004(512kbps ,1Mbps,2Mbps,....10Mbps)--->>TILL 2014...

In those days customer care used to listen,send line man for physical repairs,etc.

Nowadays, BSNL is just a NAME to be relegated to the Museum/Archives...

Top Bottom