** Post all your BSNL Broadband Related Queries Here **

sujeet2555

In the zone
low speed on dataone

i have been getting very low speed around 30-60kbps when checked with speed measuring tool (from 10th of nov).i have got 256 kbps plan.i usually gets speed around 240-250kbps. anyone dataone user having this problem?

Retro

Journeyman
Dude, the kbps you get is 30KBps which is very normal. It stands for KiloBytes/second. What BSNL gives you is 256kbps which is KiloBits/sec, which accounts to 32 KBps.

I have SHaplus and another tool called "Bandwidth Calc", however whenever I try to click Check Usage in Shaplus Password version with the "10...." IP in the Administrative URL, nothing happens. Whenever I try with the sancharnet.in/....., it asks me for the latest Flash and then stops activity. Anyone know what I should do. Should I enter my username as username@dataone.in

Some one help me
~ CC

kato

Karthiksn
*10.240.89.199/

i think u tried this url did u download the new dataone bandwith calc from shaplus(2.0 ver). It works for me with that address in the url and though it does take some time as its doing the work so dont think it will happen in just a minit will take time.

batsD1

Broken In
New dataone modem

A few days back I purchased an ADSL modem from BSNL with a home plan 1800 and 512 kb. The modem model is UTstarcom UT-300R2. BSNL gave me the modem without any explanation on how to set it up. The helpdesk was not very helpful. My question is
1. Do I need to activate PPPoE or DHCP from the modem software?
2. What is VCI and VPI that BSNL is supposed to provide?
3.BSNL says that their network is PPPoE but the PPPoE indicator light on the modem does not light up, only the power, WAN and LAN indicators.
4. I can access the net but is it really necessary to create a new connection?
5. What speeds can I expect from this connection?

batsD1

Broken In
A few days back I purchased an ADSL modem from BSNL with a home plan 1800 and 512 kb. The modem model is UTstarcom UT-300R2. BSNL gave me the modem without any explanation on how to set it up. The helpdesk was not very helpful. My question is
1. Do I need to activate PPPoE or DHCP from the modem software?
2. What is VCI and VPI that BSNL is supposed to provide?
3.BSNL says that their network is PPPoE but the PPPoE indicator light on the modem does not light up, only the power, WAN and LAN indicators.
4. I can access the net but is it really necessary to create a new connection?
5. What speeds can I expect from this connection?

kato

Karthiksn
i dont know all the answers but it wud be helpful if u told which OS are u using and ur normal speeds will be 60 or 65 KBps maybe a bit more.
Also how are u able to connect to internet now r u using some other way to connect or r u connecting using dataone only

batsD1

Broken In
kato said:
i dont know all the answers but it wud be helpful if u told which OS are u using and ur normal speeds will be 60 or 65 KBps maybe a bit more.
Also how are u able to connect to internet now r u using some other way to connect or r u connecting using dataone only

I am using windows XP professional and I am connecting by dial up.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
not sure but i think it is PPPoE as in mine...

even i have non dialling type acess to the net, there is no need to dial if u have set the password/username in to the modem memo...

u can expect upto 512/8 = 64 KBPS (usually) AND +/- 10~20 KBPS

it depends on traffic...

batsD1

Broken In
Still not clear

Thanks Kato & Qwerty maniac for the replies but it still is not clear to me what VCI and VPI are and their values.

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
VCI (Virtual Channel Identifier): This is the label given to an ATM VC to identify it and determine its destination. The VCI is a 16-bit number that is included in the header of an ATM cell.

VPI (Virtual Path Identifier): A virtual path determines the way an ATM cell should be routed. The VPI is an 8-bit (in UNI) or 12-bit (in NNI) number that is included in the header of an ATM cell.

The values for VPI and VCI are 0 and 35 respectively.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Hi,

Will the dataone connection be active after i shutdown my pc and not turn off my modem? i.e will the modem disconnect the connection???

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
yes, the connection will be disconnected...

no USB/Eth link means no connectio itself...

But its better to turn off the modem coz it gets heated... :(

OP
drgrudge

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
I got my bill yesterday...

And again want to confirm:

1. Never mind if you have connected before 2am and disconnected after 8am (this also includes if you have connected b4 2 and disconnected after 8 ) , you will charged for the extra transfers only.

2. And the accounts manager of my excahnge said that they wont count the transfers till 8:00:59 seconds.. so we get 59 seconds after the limit to disconnect.

And this is the first time that I dint exceed the 1024mb limit :D

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
congrats drgrudge for your disciplined performance.

And thanks once again for the confirmation. The problem here is that Accounts Manager or any other official knows nothing on this matter.

OP
drgrudge

drgrudge

My exchange accounts manager guy is an IIT graduate (ME in telecommunication) and I know him well.

Vyasram

The pWnster
I recently subscribed for home 500 plan in bsnl , according to it i can d'load brtween 2am-8am free (ie without increasing the data transfer counter). But when i checked my account usage , i found that it has also added the amount of data i transfered between 2am-8am . Will I be charged for that ??

Also i want to know whether i will be charged for the entire session if i download between 2am to 10am (ie for 8 hrs) or will i be charged for just two hours (8am to 10am)

Also please suggest me a software to check my total transfer , with an alarm whenever i exceed the 1GB mark . Also please suggest me a software (preferably freeware) to connect and disconnect a pppoe connection at a sheduled time

OP
drgrudge

drgrudge

Vyasram,
All your queries is answered in this thread, just look though the 8 pages for the answeres, I am sure ppl here wont waste time to answer a repeat question (atleast I am not going to :p)

And open your eyes and look some 2 posts ahead of yours, I have answered your first question and man I closed your other thread at QnA section (next time I will delete it).

deepgeek2

Broken In
useless service?

You people know something?
If you are unfortunately in patna at the moment don't try to register for dataone thru its website.
Reason?
The patna branch people say -:

1) The service is down
2) They themselves rarely try to fix it.

So much fun on internet while trying to get a connection....

Top Bottom