** Post all your BSNL Broadband Related Queries Here **

Ricky

Cyborg Agent
Re: **Post all your BSNL Dataone Related Queries Here**

din said:
Hmm, thank you for the suggestion.

But I have a strong feeling that it is not the line !! Reason is net is back now and I am getting very good speed, like 100 KB/s ! May be some guys are working on the lines at day time and switching off something ? Any chance of that ? Coz it becomes alright in the evening and night.

Anyway I am going to contact some higher officials this week, will keep you posted.

Link getting down in 95% is due to line fault !
I am using bSNL 900 uL from 14 months !

BTw, I am not getting speed more than 256 kbps.. but yes.. its always 256 kpbs regardless of time.. whever I download, I get full ~256 kbps !

Cyrus_the_virus

Unmountable Boot Volume

Ricky said:
Link getting down in 95% is due to line fault !
I am using bSNL 900 uL from 14 months !

BTw, I am not getting speed more than 256 kbps.. but yes.. its always 256 kpbs regardless of time.. whever I download, I get full ~256 kbps !
I don't think you understood what he was saying. He was talking about getting over 256Kbps and not below 256Kbps

Ricky

Cyborg Agent

Cyrus... well.. I know and that is what I am asking him that I am having 900 UL from 1 yrs and so and I am not getting more than 256 kbps.. but yes.. what I get I get good..ie .full 256kbps.. but never more than that!

din

Tribal Boy

No, i got what you (both) said, no confusion.

Yes, I know this is blessing, but its like - when its connected, great speed, but when theres problem, nothing :(

Anyway contacted the officials and they are looking into it. They tested the line etc today, so far couldn't find any problem.

Today it was good (please do not think I am boasting, as I mentioned before, the joy of a dial up to broadband user). Fedora DVD done and net was great till 2.45 PM. Then went down and came back at 3.15. Speed was really good, I tried Mint Linux latest ver (CD -700 MB), took exactly 1 hr 10 mins.

Downloading Sabayon Linux DVD now.

Ricky

Cyborg Agent

din.. tell us your lines attenuation and snr figures.

din

Tribal Boy

Local SNRMargin 7.5 dB
Local Line Attn 58.5 dB

Remote Line Attn 42.5 dB
Remote SNRMargin 6.0 dB

That is what you meant ? Got t from modem admin page (status - broadband line). Or it is not what you meant ?

praka123

left this forum longback

^which exchange for u?eramalloor?or cherthala?i am 3 kms away from my exchange and in H500 it defaults daytime max @217KB/Sec and night it climbs upto 235KB/S.if ur very near to ur exchange perhaps.. :D good speeds.
In my town users get avg 230-240KB/S constant.but my connxn is in distance :( so..also 256KBps UL sucks with the 32KB/Sec speed come join the home500 connection or its other plans.it is addictive :D and night UL 2-8am u can schedule downloads and can sleep very well 8)

din

Tribal Boy

Aroor exchange, yes, distance is more. I think 5.7 KM from exchange to home. Is that the problem ?

But one thing I do not understand is, when connected the speed is great, like I get nearly 2 Mbps. Confused ..

This is like extreme, I mean either no connection at all (no low speed, but just no connection at all) or high speed.

Well, will ask exchange people to test the line, then will contact higher officials - as its not stable yet.

praka123

left this forum longback

acc to exchange guys dataone will be given only to people within 2.5 kms from exchange.
and ur distance seems too long :D still it works and getting good speeds means good OFC setup :D

Cyrus_the_virus

Unmountable Boot Volume

din said:
This is like extreme, I mean either no connection at all (no low speed, but just no connection at all) or high speed.

Could you just answer these few questions for me plz:

1.> Does the connection drop while you browse?

a.)Drops regardless of connection being used or not
b.)Drops only when browsing
c.)Drops only when idle

2.> When the connection drops, do you see any change of lights on the modem?

a.) No lights change
b.) Line/ADSL light flashes or goes off
c.) Only internet/WAN light goes off or flashing

3.> How long does the connection stay disconnected?

a.) Under 5 mins
b.) 5-30mins
c.) Over 30mins

4.> Do you see any pattern in the disconnection

a.) No pattern, drops randomly throughout the day
b.) Drops only at particular times of the day (Mention the time and circumstance)

Please answer these questions for me so that we could find out where the problem is.

din

Tribal Boy

Cyrus_the_virus said:
Could you just answer these few questions for me plz:

1.> Does the connection drop while you browse?

a.)Drops regardless of connection being used or not
b.)Drops only when browsing
c.)Drops only when idle

Answer : No, no drop at all

2.> When the connection drops, do you see any change of lights on the modem?

a.) No lights change
b.) Line/ADSL light flashes or goes off
c.) Only internet/WAN light goes off or flashing

Answer : OK, its like this. When the connection goes down, there is no light in data LED. The link LED blinks.

3.> How long does the connection stay disconnected?

a.) Under 5 mins
b.) 5-30mins
c.) Over 30mins

Answer : When it disconnects, it goes down atleast 30 mins. And mostly 2-3 hrs :(

4.> Do you see any pattern in the disconnection

a.) No pattern, drops randomly throughout the day
b.) Drops only at particular times of the day (Mention the time and circumstance)

Answer : Yes, from the last 6 days (I got dataone last friday), the pattern is as below.

Day 1 - They came and installed at afternoon, it worked great for 2 hrs. Then got disconnected for 2 hrs, came back in the evening, worked for 2 hrs again.

Day 2- From morning I was getting great speed. Down after 5 hrs (12.30 Noon), came back at 2.30, down again at 4.00, back at 6.30 and great speed all night.

Day 3 - Very similar time pattern as day 2 (above)

Day 4 - Very similar to day 2

Day 5 - Very similar to day 2

Day 6 (today) - Good speed from early morning till 2.45 PM. Then went down and came back at 3.15. Gone after 2 hrs. Now back again.

In short, what I suspect is (may be my very stupid thinking), line is ok, but they are doing some work at day time and they bring it down intensionally ? Coz all night its fine, morning mostly till noon its fine.

Note : Also, my scheme is 256 UL Plus. But most of the time I am getting good speed and almost all the time speed is above 256.

Please answer these questions for me so that we could find out where the problem is.

Thank you very much my friend.

Cyrus_the_virus

Unmountable Boot Volume

you said your connection does go down. that's what my first question was as to when your connection drops..

din

Tribal Boy

Oh, I am sorry, yes, the connection goes down.

Answer is : a.)Drops regardless of connection being used or not

Sorry for the confusion

Cyrus_the_virus

Unmountable Boot Volume

Anyways, from what I understand, this is called a case of 'Intermittent Synchronisation'. Be wary that BSNL engineers might have never heard of that term.

The Data light is the one showing your TCP/IP or ATM connection status to the BSNL's BRAS servers and the Link light is the one which shows the connection status to BSNL's DSLAM. Now the B-RAS connection happens after the DSLAM connection is established. So, if there is no DSLAM connection, there will certainly not be a B-RAS connection which is necessary for getting the internet.

Hence, as you noted the lights on the modem, is shows that whenever you loose connection, your modem is loosing synchronisation with the local telephone exhange DSLAM and hence the link light starts to flash as it's trying to re-establish the connection while the data light is off as you cannot establish a B-RAS connection till the DSLAM connection is established.

Let's rule out the possibilites one by one now.

The factors which cause drops in DSLAM connectivity can only be attributed to 'Line Faults' or problem with 'exchange equipment' or problem with the 'modem/router' and not your computer unless you're using the USB port to connect to the modem. If you're already using the USB, try using the LAN cable to see if the problem persists to rule out a possibility of computer related fault. Also if possible try with a friend's modem to rule out modem fault.

If the above checks are carried out, then it's clearly a possibility of a line fault or exchange equipment fault. It's simply unacceptable if BSNL is trying to carry out works everyday leading to the disconnection of your service. That is a violation of terms and conditions and QOS.

Also just make sure that your line is not runnig close to any electrical appliances or machines etc which run only during the time you loose connectivity.

Hope you understood this part.

Ricky

Cyborg Agent

din said:
Local SNRMargin 7.5 dB
Local Line Attn 58.5 dB

Remote Line Attn 42.5 dB
Remote SNRMargin 6.0 dB

That is what you meant ? Got t from modem admin page (status - broadband line). Or it is not what you meant ?

Ama yaar, why you people don't understand..

I was about to write an article on aDSL stuff, something like SNR , aTTN and those dB stuff. Anyways, will do some day .. :p

Din, without going in detail, you should understand that more the SNR, better the connectivity. BSNL is just fine, only problem is with line. Your UP (remote) is 6dB and Down (local) is 7dB and this is the problem.
Second thing you must know that your ATTN must be lesser, lesser is better.
One thing is that your distance is too much.

My SNR used to be similar to you (means I had faced same situation as yours when I had got my aDSL) but now atm (at the moment) I have ..

---------------
SNR-
Local : 18.5 dB
Remote : 20 dB

Attn -
Local : 20 dB
Remote : 38dB
-------------
This is what is perfect for aDSL which now I am having (it get disturbed in Rainy season or Too hot season)

My case was even worst... don't ask me what .. and how ..

Ok..so in short.. ur prblem is only of line..
I had posted solution ie. looking for joints, reducing number joints, covering joints with tape.. also removing number phone connector etc. etc..
I think you overlooked that post..

Anyways..I don't like telling anything further, if you dont' want to help yourself then its upto you..
I tried giving help !

Ricky said:
@din..

It is for sure that the problem lies in your line but not in dataone guy.
But at your end you can try few stuff..
Like reducing number of Jack at your home, if you have phone line in built in you wiring ie. house wiring then try to get direct cable to your modem.

If it does not help then look for open joint then cut them and make a fresh joint then cover with tape..

I am sure all will help !

and if none of them help then ..
CALL BSNL .. $#@* guys !

Hello Din..
This one is the post which may have already solved your prblm

Last edited:

cool_techie_tvm

Ambassador of Buzz

HIGHER THE SNR NUMBER WILL HELP U TO ABLE ONLINE 24/7... i mean no disconnection ...this SNR Figure depands on ur line and how far ur from UR Exchange .... even single joint will decrease ur snr up to 10db down ... :( ... so be careful on that no Joint between NID AND UR ADSL MODEM

6dB or below is bad and will experience no synch or intermittent synch problems

7dB-10dB is fair but does not leave much room for variances in conditions

11dB-20dB is good with no synch problems

20dB-28dB is excellent

29dB or above is outstanding

For Line Attenuation

Line attenuation also depands on how far ur from exchange . Maximum signal loss recommendation is usually about 60dB. .but Lower is alwys good .

and this will also help to mesaure how much max Bandwidth u can get on ur line .

20dB and below is outstanding

20dB-30dB is excellent

30dB-40dB is very good

40dB-50dB is good

50dB-60dB is poor and may experience connectivity issues

60dB or above is bad and will experience connectivity issues

I HOPE THE ABOVE DESCRIPTION WILL HELP ..... :)

Last edited:

praka123

left this forum longback

i'm now at d/l attn value 40.0 dB and u/l 21.5 dB.(SNR upstream:23 dB downstream:24.5 dB)I am connected from underground cable via a box fixed outside my house.the cable used are very old(some 8 yrs old or more!) and then there is a plug and socket(old type) there for to plugin.if i replace the plugnsocket and another connector between,will i get attenuation value be low?actually my friend is getting stable 240KBps+ speeds,but he is near to exchange.
So,Is it worth for me to rewire with new cables and connecting be straight to the splitter(which bsnl supplied).

din

Tribal Boy

@Ricky

I am really sorry, I read all the posts by you. They are indeed very helpful. However, I couldn't do what you mentioned and sure it is a ig mistake from my part. I thought line is ok ! But after reading your explanation again, I am going to try that. I will sure keep you posted on that.

@Cyrus_the_virus

Thank you very much. I am going to contact the exchange guys after doing what Ricky mentioned. Will see whether these helps and solves the issue.

@cool_techie_tvm

Yes, there are joints, going to reduce those as far as possible.

@praka123

Yes, they first told me they will not give broadband where distance > 5 KM. But as I am helpless (no other ISP here), finally they made it ok. But there are some other people using BB which are ven far. Like they are at a distance of 7 KM and more from exchange !! And running BB smoothly, may be pure luck.

I am posting this at 5.45 AM, now the speed is really good, like 130 KB/S ( x 8 kbps ? ) and no disconnections.

One more qn : Any idea/guess why there is no problem from evening 6.30 to next day noon (good speed, no disconnection)? this pattern is same for almost all days.

Last edited:

Ricky

Cyborg Agent

din said:
One more qn : Any idea/guess why there is no problem from evening 6.30 to next day noon (good speed, no disconnection)? this pattern is same for almost all days.

Ya I do have, I do not have clear idea about this but I have observed that during nights SNR improves automatically, you should check your SNR and ATTN rate in night and you find it better than day time.

Just to add more: I even made fresh joint at telephone POLE and taped it.

praka123 said:
i'm now at d/l attn value 40.0 dB and u/l 21.5 dB.(SNR upstream:23 dB downstream:24.5 dB)I am connected from underground cable via a box fixed outside my house.the cable used are very old(some 8 yrs old or more!) and then there is a plug and socket(old type) there for to plugin.if i replace the plugnsocket and another connector between,will i get attenuation value be low?actually my friend is getting stable 240KBps+ speeds,but he is near to exchange.
So,Is it worth for me to rewire with new cables and connecting be straight to the splitter(which bsnl supplied).
Your line figures are already good but there are chances that they may get better but before doing this, see what it shows in bandwidth up and down section of your modem information page.

Last edited:

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com

can i also increase the speed some way?
Modem Status

Connection Status Connected
Us Rate (Kbps) 512
Ds Rate (Kbps) 2048
US Margin 26
DS Margin 6
Trained Modulation ADSL_G.dmt