Overheating problems

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ My pleasure buddy :p

I have MSI 4870 Graphics card. At idle it shows temperature 65 and at load it is 69.

Is anything wrong. what should i do

Which model of HD4870 do you have ? Does it have the stock cooler or a custom cooler ?

Though the idle temp is a bit high the temps are just fine. 69C on load for a HD4870 is just fine. So nothing to worry about.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
*msi.com/uploads/5_pictures/five_pictures1_9dee99ae85e1261177354858a4dcd67d.jpg.

There are two cards on the image. The left one has the stock cooler but the right one has a custom cooler which is better than stock cooler.Which one do you have ?

The card you have is good for gaming. It's better than HD4850 & GTX9800+.You can play
most of the games with 1680*1050 with high setting turned on.

sub1zero

Broken In
After I get a thermal paste, how exactly do I go about applying it? I have no clue whatsoever. Someone, please elaborate in detail about this.

tkin

Back to school!!
After I get a thermal paste, how exactly do I go about applying it? I have no clue whatsoever. Someone, please elaborate in detail about this.
Remove stock cooler, remove old thermal paste with a cloth completely, apply new paste, get set go.

Seek some professional help, removing coolers can be a pain in the A$$.

janitha

Wise Old Owl
Remove stock cooler, remove old thermal paste with a cloth completely, apply new paste, get set go.

Seek some professional help, removing coolers can be a pain in the A$$.

Removing thermal paste just using a cloth will not be practical or even possible especially if it is already cured (not freshly applied). Use a lint free cloth, preferably microfibre cloth wet with isopropyl alcohol / surgicol.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
mine is the right one, which have custom cooler. How is it

As I already told cards withcustom cooler is always better than cards with stock cooler.
-----------------------------------------
Posted again:
-----------------------------------------

Remove the HSF of the cpu. Clean it. Remove the remaing thermal paste from top of the cpu & the bottom of the cpu heatsink with a clean lint fdree clock.
Apply a new layer of thermal paste or if it's comes in a injection then apply a drop like the size of two rice grain on top of the cpu. Reinsert/Refit the cpu HSF firmly.

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Removing thermal paste just using a cloth will not be practical or even possible especially if it is already cured (not freshly applied). Use a lint free cloth, preferably microfibre cloth wet with isopropyl alcohol / surgicol.

though cleaning with isopropyl will give a bit better result removal of the thermal paste with a lint free cloth only is perfectly possible & it won't give any kind of trouble. I've done it many times.

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
Before doing anything with isopropyl alcohol and all on the ati 4870 I need the following information from ashishji12:
#1. Which ati catalyst version are you using alongwith which OS with service packs.
#2. Your complete configuation alongwith the power supply.
#3. Are the cables cluttered all over the case? Its best if you can provide a picture of the system via sidepanel view.
#4. What's you room temperature and the cfm of your case fans?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ I think you've mixed up something :p

ashishji12 asked about his GPU temp. He did not asked about applying isopropyl on the GPU :p

sub1zero asked about how to apply cpu thermalpaste so janitha suggested him about the isopropyl method :p

pavasedge

Your worst nightmare
Since few months my CPU and system temperature is very high.50-55'c during normal operation and 60-70+'c while playing games,mostly 70'c+ when playing recent titles.My PC restarts many times because of this.Also my SMPS becomes extremely hot when i play games.Is ths normal?
I have changed the thermal paste,changed CPU fan,opened case cleaned all dust-->nothing helped.Since i got my fan changed temps r even higher ,about 65c idle.So i assume the shopkeeper didnt apply the thermal paste.Also when i changed the paste myself before i think i didnt apply it properly.I have seen a lot of videos like this one-*www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7rPqCvCt0g but i can't manage to do it the way this guy did.When i try to spread it properly,the paste sticks to business card and i couldn't apply it properly.Arcic silver isn't availabe here in Lucknow.Pls help .
Thanks

prateekchanda

Boy Genius
Guys its Summer again and my PC is HOT -Literally
My Rig is at my signature
my issue

Q8200 OCed to 2.8 Ghz is idling at 51,46,49,51 at midnight here at Gurgaon with side case removed and my rooms temps a few degree above from out side which google tells me is 28C now

now if I do a full load test using prime95 I get this:

65, 61, 62, 65 with in one minute after which I stop the tests

Also the System temp Which i Suppose is NB temp is 50-55C but the NB-HS so i bolted a old P1 CPU Fan on it 40mm I suppose now on touching NB-HS its not that hot but system temps still shows >50C

I'm thinking of ordering Tunic TX-2 from *www.primeabgb.com/ (at 150/- + 75 for courier) for both CPU and NB

also I would like to put a 120mm and a 90 mm fan but at Nehruplace I cant find one at least at the popular shops and others are selling 120mm AC fan at 250Rs :?

So will have to go to Bhagirath Palace for the Fans

Q1 How can I attach 120mm fan on my cabbi which have screw hols for 90mm only but have enough space to stick 120mm one are there some double side adhesive tapes available for the job?

Q2 What will happen If I place 2x120mm Fan in inlet + 1*90mm Fan Inlet and only 1*90mm Fan for outlet in addition to Smps 120mm outlet fan of my vx 450 and dual slot design HD4850?

Any other Suggestions would be great!

Adhip007

Journeyman
My procy E6300 runs at idling 51-52 C to 61 C during playing games, already applied artic silver. is it normal???

What is the price of Cooler Master HyperTX2 ?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
The temps are though bit a higher are well within safe limit.

Last time I checked the price of Hyper TX2 on jan it was Rs. 2K

Adhip007

Journeyman
Actually I have OCed the proccy to 1.9 Ghz, but this is seems a minor OC that wouldn't heat up like this.

Actually my GPU temp is around 55* C while gaming medium games like DREAM MATCH TENNIS .....When i switch my pc on even in d morning the temp shown is 45*C ...

I got my 8800GTX XXX popped due to heat n dont want that to happen again....

Bcz of ths i bot a new Cabinet Cooler master CM690 vid 7 fans....

Dont kno where the problem lies!!!!!

My laptop Shows the temp of 52*C at xtremes....n normally around 48*C while surfing.....

What is the Real Solution??

I dont want to Open up my CAbinet for atleast INstallaion of fans bcz all connectors of my psu r used up....

PLZ HELP ME OUT B4 ITS too LATE.......

SORRY For POStINg it in Graphics Cards Section too.....:oops:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ Adhip007 - What's your ambient temp ?

@ niraj trehan - Your GPU & Laptop Temps are just normal & well within safe limits.

hey ppl.....my frnd has got p4 2.4 which he o/c to 3.2 and running burning test but aft 15 min his pc shutdown and wont start now. dunno what happnd. plz help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:(:(:(:(

its a 845g mobo prettty old one.

hsetir

Broken In
Overclocking single core pentiums was never a good idea, as temperature can really soar up. For safe temperature limits, go to processorfinder.intel.com, select your processor and see the thermal specification. Try to stay clear of that by 5 degrees or more.

Top Bottom