Official Android discussion thread

din

Tribal Boy
I read the thread now only! Worth going through the entire thread. Quite informative and almost all posts are nicely written. Threads like this force me to come back to TDF :) Congrats.

Few questions if you do not mind.

1. I see most of the phones discussed are above 20K range. Are there Android phones comes near 10K available in the market (Indian/Abroad)?

2. The GPS function - works well in Android? Anyone tried gpsed application (*gpsed.com) in their phone? I know they have no Android specific version, but the java one will work on this?

3. All java based apps will work in Andriod?
Example: gmaps (*www.mgmaps.com)

4. Any good Qmail alternative (QMAIL3 -that is a nice email program for WM) for Android?

OP
amitabhishek

amitabhishek

Bad to the bone
Re: Finally compiled my ROM

After days of work; I have managed to compile the AOSP :). This ROM is for a 32B device (Magic & HTC G1). I am currently testing it on my device. I will not upload the ROM because there are already better ones at XDA and no one here has a 32B device!

I will post a 'how-to' on compiling; so that in case you are interested, you can interpolate it for your device.

*img39.imageshack.us/img39/4099/devicej.png

jainanshal

Right off the assembly line
I read the thread now only! Worth going through the entire thread. Quite informative and almost all posts are nicely written. Threads like this force me to come back to TDF :) Congrats.

Few questions if you do not mind.

1. I see most of the phones discussed are above 20K range. Are there Android phones comes near 10K available in the market (Indian/Abroad)?

2. The GPS function - works well in Android? Anyone tried gpsed application (Map your tracks and photos, share your position from your mobile | free Mobile GPS Tracking Service) in their phone? I know they have no Android specific version, but the java one will work on this?

3. All java based apps will work in Andriod?
Example: gmaps (Mobile GMaps - View maps from various sources on your mobile phone!)

4. Any good Qmail alternative (QMAIL3 -that is a nice email program for WM) for Android?

I can partially answer your questions..

1. I know about Samsung Galaxy Spica i5700 around 12K (own one myself). Somewhere i read that Micromax is going to launch an Android phone, not aware of anything more. Well, if they, do most probably it'll be under 10K.

2. Yes, GPS works well. I am using Sygic with Map my India maps. Not aware of gpsed.

3. Well, it will be vague to say 'all' java applications will work but yes most works as with any other java supporting phone.

4. No idea.

Hope this helps..

din

Tribal Boy
Thank you for the reply. Android phone sounds like a better idea these days.

Meantime I heard Samsung Galaxy Spica i5700 is no more available, is it true?

din

Tribal Boy
Alright, I see we need to spend at least 21K for an Android phone in India now, is that correct?

Only exception I see - SE X10 mini - Get 5MP camera but ready to comproise on the screen size :(

So no Android in 15K-20K range too? Samsung i5800 not yet launched I guess?

OP
amitabhishek

amitabhishek

Bad to the bone
Cyanogenmod Froyo ROMs are getting ported to more and more devices. Though these ROMs are good they can be very slow when rendering home screen. This tutorial almost eliminates the slow loading home screen.

CM6: ADW back to home lag solved?!? - xda-developers

I have used this tut & it works.

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Hehe.. After some more hacking, here's my Quadrant score for Galaxy S: :D

Mind you, I'm still running Android 2.1 (Eclair) ;)

*imgur.com/4jpDj.png

This shows what this phone's CPU/GPU is really capable of, when it's not bogged down by the poor I/O. And some people say there is hardly any difference in performance of snapdragon and hummingbird! Well, you know what they say! Ignorance is bliss!

Last edited:
OP
amitabhishek

amitabhishek

Bad to the bone
As evident from my previous post; I have been trying to compile Froyo source from the time the code landed on git. Ive spent last few days in ironing out bugs.

Kernel was always on the stable side (screenshot above) however today & for some odd reason the kernel decided to act fresh. So using SuperF kernel for time being. I will work on my kernel over this weekend. I have taken lots of help from XDA threads and did some scripting from my side too. As mentioned above (I mean, previous post) I wish to post a tutorial too. But only screenies for time being. Apart from terminal & super user app - which I included for debugging purposes; this is 100% pure Froyo and it is blazingly fast! By default & in its pure form Android OS does'nt have any Google app. Coz they are closed source apps but I plan to add them later. So these are the only few apps for end user if you compile the Android from source.

*img22.imageshack.us/img22/2299/device5.png *img836.imageshack.us/img836/699/aboutm.png*img716.imageshack.us/img716/7814/home1c.png*img375.imageshack.us/img375/3595/appp.png

I will host the ROM tomorrow because its too late and 4shared, TDF are too slow ATM.

Last edited:

alter_ego

Who me??
As evident from my previous post; I have been trying to compile Froyo source from the time the code landed on git. Ive spent last few days in ironing out bugs.

Kernel was always on the stable side (screenshot above) however today & for some odd reason the kernel decided to act fresh. So using SuperF kernel for time being. I will work on my kernel over this weekend. I have taken lots of help from XDA threads and did some scripting from my side too. As mentioned above (I mean, previous post) I wish to post a tutorial too. But only screenies for time being. Apart from terminal & super user app - which I included for debugging purposes; this is 100% pure Froyo and it is blazingly fast! By default & in its pure form Android OS does'nt have any Google app. Coz they are closed source apps but I plan to add them later. So these are the only few apps for end user if you compile the Android from source.

I will host the ROM tomorrow because its too late and 4shared, TDF are too slow ATM.

This is awesum dude:shock:! Great effort!!! Waiting for the upload. BTW I've a Canadian Rogers G1 given to me by my bro. Will this work? Its on Cupacake or something. Can I jump the queue and boot 2.2 straight away.

OP
amitabhishek

amitabhishek

Bad to the bone
Thanks!

Yes the ROM will work on your G1. G1 is also known as HTC Dream.

However at the moment wifi and camera are broken. I am recompiling with the new kernel source and wlan driver. Hopefully things will work once done. It will almost take entire night to recompile. If successful, will upload tomorrow.

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
hi guys.. :)

i hv SE Xperia X10, running on 1.6 (donut) so planning to upgrade it to 2.1 eclair...wen i tried the phone's update feature (using wifi) it displayed the msg that the phone's s/ware has been upgraded but i can still see that my OS is stuck on 1.6 :confused: is it jus a minor upgrade (like say, 1.6.1 or anything like that)..????

plz i need ur help guys... :)
----------

Cheers n e-peace....

din

Tribal Boy
@Garbage

Thanks. I checked with the HTC shop in Cochin and they quoted around 15K. The resolution is a dealbreaker :( But for 15K, it worth I think.

Thinking of extending my budget and go for HTC Legend this weekend. I really hope my wife does not see TDF and my posts :( Or you will see one uncle missing from this forum.

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
ohh no ashu...are are deliberately trying to stir a storm here...now a SE fanboy will start praising it with support of one more and three other guys will start a war of words against them...

BTW OS upgrade on Xperia is not supported officially so you will not be able to upgrade it...I have no clue about un-official upgrade (by breaking your TOC/Warranty)

Last edited:

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
[/COLOR]I really don't need to start anything against anyone who can't even spell correctly or have little clue about facts. Waste ot time. Kaha kaha se chale ate hai.

sujoyp

Grand Master
There is a firmware update of SE X10 to 1.0.16....It wont upgrade the Android...
Just some performance fixes and More Ram is free now...keyboard is also fixed

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Samsung i5800 review is out btw. And it has 3.2" low resolution display and no camera flash. seriously, what's wrong with Samsung and HTC? Will it hurt to give a good quality display on a phone that will probably cost around 15k?

Samsung Galaxy 3 and Galaxy Apollo review: Galactic twins - GSMArena.com
Samsung I5800 Galaxy 3 - Full phone specifications

OP
amitabhishek

amitabhishek

Bad to the bone
Samsung i5800 review is out btw. And it has 3.2" low resolution display and no camera flash. seriously, what's wrong with Samsung and HTC? Will it hurt to give a good quality display on a phone that will probably cost around 15k?

Samsung Galaxy 3 and Galaxy Apollo review: Galactic twins - GSMArena.com
Samsung I5800 Galaxy 3 - Full phone specifications

I think its better than Wildfire?

Top Bottom