Nokia 808 PureView launched at Rs. 33,899, hits shelves today

Status
Not open for further replies.

sujoyp

Grand Master
Nokia pureview is a revolutionary camera phone ....some features r not there even in any point and shoots cameras ....as a camera phone it should succeed

I have read some photographers debating on it and they were serious about its quality...

noob

Cyborg Agent
Nokia pureview is a revolutionary camera phone ....some features r not there even in any point and shoots cameras ....as a camera phone it should succeed

I have read some photographers debating on it and they were serious about its quality...

Buying the phone for its 41 MegaPixels camera is like Hiring Sunny Leone for her Acting Skills. Useless.

Krow

Crowman
Buying the phone for its 41 MegaPixels camera is like Hiring Sunny Leone for her Acting Skills. Useless.

This is easily the worst analogy I've read this summer. Your post is both narrow minded and short sighted. What you are saying means that a phone should not be bought for anything but calling and text messages.

People buy phones for good audio. Nokia xpress music and Sony Ericsson Walkman series are good examples.

People bought N82, N8 for good camera. I don't see why someone who wants a portable pro-level camera will not consider PureView.

ajaymailed

In the zone
Maybe its true. Highend Symbian mobiles are not selling well and totally discontinued in US. Makes sense but S40 will continue to be sold. They are like Nokia's pocket money.

So, Nokia N9 ---> end of Meego
Nokia Pureview ---> end of Symbian
end of symbian means, what about the support? updates, Apps?
person buying pureview for 30K should not consider anything other than 41MP Cam. May be Nokia should have removed phone feature, add more camera settings, hardware and called it NCam.

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
The number "41" has been used a bit too much in this thread. A lot of people seem to forget that its less about the number and more about the ingenious way its put to use with oversampling.. Not to mention brilliant 1080p videos with lossless zoom and great audio to boot.

Let me make this clear. I am a Nokia fanboy. And yes Belle is good but surely not as good as others. And yeah the price of ~33k is on the higher side. But there were some comments here that made no real sense and i had to say something.

It is by far the best 'camera'phone out there. So much so, that it beat the pants out of some olympus and nearly matched the mighty Canon EOS 5D Mark III in good light. Results were not so convincingly in its favor at low-light, but it still held its ground and was way better than any other cameraphone.

Now add the wonderful 1080p video with lossless zoom and very good audio. At the risk of sounding ridiculous, i'll ask this - how much does an ipod touch cost? or camera that can match this thing?

The funny part is, people will now jump to show the pointlessness of comparing this phone with Ipod, but in the end both are primarily meant to play music (agreed, that the touch has a nice screen, but the 808 has expandable memory and plays nearly every format video out of the box and a camera and can make calls)

Forgive me all you great, knowledgeable people who call this device 'worthless' 'useless' and 'fail' but what exactly makes an Iphone 4s worth ~44k and still be a good buy and this phone 'useless' even with its spectacular camera and audio and a decent performance elsewhere?

I may be praising the phone too much (afterall, i'm just another fanboy), but Krow has made a very good post earlier.

Why is it so hard to just see this phone for what it is - the best cameraphone ever made, as the final stand of symbian - which it deserved - and not be carried away with pointless bashing?

Despite all its flaws, you cant deny the brilliance of this device, a point thats only confirmed by the insecure fanboy comments that i see nearly everywhere online. It takes a rather special device to get these app touting fruit fans and specsheet parading robot fans to feel threatened. That alone, IMO, is more than sufficient proof of this flawed hero's greatness.

And like I said earlier, i'm a nokia fanboy. So please forgive this little outburst,O thee learned souls.

noob

Cyborg Agent
This is easily the worst analogy I've read this summer. Your post is both narrow minded and short sighted. What you are saying means that a phone should not be bought for anything but calling and text messages.

People buy phones for good audio. Nokia xpress music and Sony Ericsson Walkman series are good examples.

People bought N82, N8 for good camera. I don't see why someone who wants a portable pro-level camera will not consider PureView.

LOL..there are ppl buying this phone JUST because it has that "cool 41 MP camera" which IMO doesn't makes sense.

d3p

PowerHouse
I found this on a disgus comment section and wanted to share which I envied pureview camera

*img5.fotos-hochladen.net/uploads/201206170242wyt803g4ej.jpg

Have a look at this shot once more, before commenting "41 Mega pixel camera mobile not worth of 33k+ "

If camera is the big thing, then I'd get a Nikon D3100 for that price.

& where are you going to hang that DSLR ?? Inside your jeans pocket ??

I guess your pocket will be hot already with another mobile & bag will be loaded with camera lens kits...

:rofl:

When people purchase iphone thinking its just another phone worth of 40k.

Then ultimately this is a camera phone, may not worth of 33k but prices will fall down & will be worthy atleast as a mobile, music player & an awesome camera.

Krow

Crowman
LOL..there are ppl buying this phone JUST because it has that "cool 41 MP camera" which IMO doesn't makes sense.

Like it or not, this phone's best features are 41 MP camera, great bundled headset and good audio.

Browsing the web is a pain on the stock browser and as I said OS is dead. A PureView Lumia is the current dream phone. Nothing could beat that.

OP
sling-shot

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
The number "41" has been used a bit too much in this thread. A lot of people seem to forget that its less about the number and more about the ingenious way its put to use with oversampling.. Not to mention brilliant 1080p videos with lossless zoom and great audio to boot.

Let me make this clear. I am a Nokia fanboy. And yes Belle is good but surely not as good as others. And yeah the price of ~33k is on the higher side. But there were some comments here that made no real sense and i had to say something.

It is by far the best 'camera'phone out there. So much so, that it beat the pants out of some olympus and nearly matched the mighty Canon EOS 5D Mark III in good light. Results were not so convincingly in its favor at low-light, but it still held its ground and was way better than any other cameraphone.

Now add the wonderful 1080p video with lossless zoom and very good audio. At the risk of sounding ridiculous, i'll ask this - how much does an ipod touch cost? or camera that can match this thing?

The funny part is, people will now jump to show the pointlessness of comparing this phone with Ipod, but in the end both are primarily meant to play music (agreed, that the touch has a nice screen, but the 808 has expandable memory and plays nearly every format video out of the box and a camera and can make calls)

Forgive me all you great, knowledgeable people who call this device 'worthless' 'useless' and 'fail' but what exactly makes an Iphone 4s worth ~44k and still be a good buy and this phone 'useless' even with its spectacular camera and audio and a decent performance elsewhere?

I may be praising the phone too much (afterall, i'm just another fanboy), but Krow has made a very good post earlier.

Why is it so hard to just see this phone for what it is - the best cameraphone ever made, as the final stand of symbian - which it deserved - and not be carried away with pointless bashing?

Despite all its flaws, you cant deny the brilliance of this device, a point thats only confirmed by the insecure fanboy comments that i see nearly everywhere online. It takes a rather special device to get these app touting fruit fans and specsheet parading robot fans to feel threatened. That alone, IMO, is more than sufficient proof of this flawed hero's greatness.

And like I said earlier, i'm a nokia fanboy. So please forgive this little outburst,O thee learned souls.

Very sensible and bang on the dot. Any talk about Nokia 808 PureView generally invokes either automatic dismissal / dissing or exhilarative superlatives.

You have put it just right.

This phone performs its duties perfectly as a phone. Plus it has a great camera. Excellent music. Superb battery life. Only thing missing here could be a polished OS and a large library of applications.

For all those who understand the limitations as is and ready to accept no future improvements, this will be ideal.

I am getting one soon as my purse fills up a bit more :-D

NOTE : I always wonder why people go to such great lengths to bad mouth a product which is not inherently defective but only deficient in some aspects.

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
Like it or not, this phone's best features are 41 MP camera, great bundled headset and good audio.

Browsing the web is a pain on the stock browser and as I said OS is dead. A PureView Lumia is the current dream phone. Nothing could beat that.

you always have opera and true , lumia pureview on WP8 will be a big hit

Sarath

iDota
Considering this is Nokia, expect a price drop of 10-20% after a quarter. (hopefully)

The N8 had the most expensive sensor among the competition during it's release. I can't help but imagine how much the camera itself costs in this chunk of a phone.

Personally I would have preferred this run the Symbian S60 v3 and not the touch version.

Also I vaguely remember Nokia stating that this runs Symbian and not WM as the software couldn't handle or support the camera and hence they had to stick with Symbian.

Also suggesting an investment in a separate dedicated camera to beat this monster is a fundamentally flawed idea for simple reasons. This phone beats any other SLR/P&S for one basic reason, "availability".

Most people don't carry their P&S all the time, mostly being vacation exclusive or event based. I do not have to state the obvious but a cell phone sees you click more pics than your camera ever would unless photography is your profession or a serious hobby.
I think everyone would have come across a situation where you had a random whim to click a picture and your phone obliges to your wishes while your PnS is resting itself in the comfort of your home. As for DSLRs, I don't think I have to state the really obvious practical implications of it.

Anyone who has used a Nokia Carl Zeiss equipped phone would agree with me in saying that there is still a phone that is to beat it yet.

But the end of the day it's a crappy phone but people who click a lot would benefit strongly from this. Although 38MP is a lot for regular pics and it is a well known fact that a camera always takes the best pics at which the sensor is rated i.e.38MP here. I hope it does a good job of taking decent pics at lower res.

But in the end, the bulk and the Symbian touch OS kill the phone in it's infancy.

Anish

Spectre
Wondering why nokia still lives with symbian and Windows. AFAIK, nokia can earn back its reputation if it switch to android OS and reduce prices.

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
@Sarath
Although 38MP is a lot for regular pics and it is a well known fact that a camera always takes the best pics at which the sensor is rated i.e.38MP here. I hope it does a good job of taking decent pics at lower res.

You are right here but in 5MP or 8 MP mode 808 uses pixel binning thereby using the information from all the 38 million pixels to create an image free of noise and bayer interpolation. Each pixel in a 5MP image is a super pixel comprising of data from 7 pixels.

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Wondering why nokia still lives with symbian and Windows. AFAIK, nokia can earn back its reputation if it switch to android OS and reduce prices.

In short, the thing is, they dont want to. They want to stand out. Cant blame them, personally I like to have choices. Wrote a long post on this somewhere on this forum..

Anish

Spectre
In short, the thing is, they dont want to. They want to stand out. Cant blame them, personally I like to have choices. Wrote a long post on this somewhere on this forum..

They can still provide choices among their phones, Like they have now (symbian/windows) and like samsung (bada/android). But whats the use of saying here :-?

pratyush997

Inactive
I think Meego can rock if they didn't dropped the project...Samsung bought it...DID R&D and named it as Tizen.. :lol:

Cool....Nokia has a Backup plan if wp8 Fails..Nokia will opt for android

Source

poorav

Right off the assembly line
Its not just about the camera quality,see if you are buying something for pictures then you would only buy camera but talking about the NOKIA LUMIA 808 pure view phone it will give you both the relaxations
1 for the camera
and another for its in build processor,features and functionality.
The both things differ in the same.

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
There is no device called NOKIA LUMIA 808 pure view

Regarding 808, apart from camera other smartphones (on other platforms) in similar price range are miles ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom