Musicians Corner V1: Cover Band Edition

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
couple of questions on acoustic guitar.
Q1. Which oil/cleaner u use for fretboard cleaning/polishing?
Q2. How much slack do I have to leave while changing strings?
Q3. How much thick (mm) pick u use?

1. None
2. Define slack. If you mean how loose, there us no such thing since the tension will be the same when you do a standard tuning. Depends upon the string though.
3. I used to use Planetwaves JS signature Thin but those break frequenty, so I moved up to JS Medium. Don't remember the thickness exactly.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
^slack means...how much loose the string u keep or the distance between stretched string from fretboard..coz we cut the excess string in the end

I've read that some oil guitarist use to keep the fretboard shining & healthy..which generally develops cracks if not maintained properly :mrgreen:

also

Q: if a guitarists play a tune/melody ask what is this riff or lick?how to find out any clue?

Q: which are the good tutorials available on mastering fingerpicking (I'm very bad in it :( )?

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
^slack means...how much loose the string u keep or the distance between stretched string from fretboard..coz we cut the excess string in the end

I've read that some oil guitarist use to keep the fretboard shining & healthy..which generally develops cracks if not maintained properly :mrgreen:

also

Q: if a guitarists play a tune/melody ask what is this riff or lick?how to find out any clue?

Q: which are the good tutorials available on mastering fingerpicking (I'm very bad in it :( )?

It doesn't matter. I just extend the string as much as is required and tighten the tuners.

1. Identify the root note that he is playing and judging by the intervals he played you can identify the scale.

2. Learn the intro to the song "My Name Is Jonas" by Weezer using fingerpicking, you will learn on your own. That's how I learned.

Refer my video :

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl
IMO for acoustic guitar the pick shouldnt be too heavy so anything around .5mm will be good for strumming/picking,it also has to match your preference.So buy 4-5 light to medium picks and see what suits you,best.I use planet waves black ice 1.10mm heavy picks and rarely pw 1.0 med/heavy.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
It doesn't matter. I just extend the string as much as is required and tighten the tuners.
but u can't extend as much string coz that will develop more threads in tuners and generally we keep 2min & 3max threads in tuner

1. Identify the root note that he is playing and judging by the intervals he played you can identify the scale.
Ok..so any tune I hear in a song is generally based on a scale, right? which means scales are universal rule in making any kind of musical sound.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
but u can't extend as much string coz that will develop more threads in tuners and generally we keep 2min & 3max threads in tuner

Yes, you can. I don't start wrapping it from one end, I pass it as much as required beyond the hole in the tuner and then I tighten it, letting the rest of the string hang out.

Ok..so any tune I hear in a song is generally based on a scale, right? which means scales are universal rule in making any kind of musical sound.

Key is a more appropriate word. Key comprises of the scale and chord family.

debarshi

Otaku
I have been playing the keyboard for around 5 years now, and need a good keyboard within 40k....

I mostly play trance, piano-style, rabindra-sangeet, and western classicals.. and I'm going to buy this from Kolkata

I've shortlisted a few, and want your opinions on them

1. Yamaha PSR-S550B Arranger Workstation
2. Yamaha NP-V60 Piaggero
3. Roland E-09
4. Yamaha PSR-I455

If you have experience using these keyboards, help me out here...... Suggestions are welcome :)

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Keyboards are not my area of expertise. But, I do like anything that has Yamaha written over it.

debarshi

Otaku
Keyboards are not my area of expertise. But, I do like anything that has Yamaha written over it.

So do you know anyone playing keyboards in this forum?

And no, the chord shape doesn't change, since it is just like a transpose... Dropping the scale by 1 or two tones...Chords will remain same in a different base scale.. as far as I know...

The sound of the chord changes based on the scale

Check out this page, I think you'll understand a little better than what I said Transpose

Last edited:

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
i dnt know about it..thats y a doubt
coz if EADGBE is changed to DADGAD then what will be the position of open G chord?

What sort of tuning is that? Dropped D is DADGBE i.e. a standard tuning with the low E string detuned one whole step and the rest of the strings remain the same. This tuning is mainly good for playing power chords (5th Chords) on the top three strings.

If you are speaking of DGCFAD, this is D standard i.e. the entire E standard tuning dropped a whole step. in this case, the open G major pattern will not be a G major chord, but it will be F major. Therefore, if you want to play a G major chord in this tuning, you will have to play a barre chord with the barre on the 5th fret. Similarly, Am open pattern will become Gm and you will have to play Am with a barre on the 7th fret.

Therefore, in this manner, the chords will be :

Code:
d|-0----3----5----7----2
A|-1----3----5----7----3
F|-2----0----6----7----4
C|-2----0----7----9----4
G|-0----2----7----9----2
D|-x----3----5----7----X
   Gm   F    G    Am   Am

And so forth.

PS: If you know the notes comprising the chords, you can make them up irrespective of the tunings.

So do you know anyone playing keyboards in this forum?

And no, the chord shape doesn't change, since it is just like a transpose... Dropping the scale by 1 or two tones...Chords will remain same in a different base scale.. as far as I know...

The sound of the chord changes based on the scale

Check out this page, I think you'll understand a little better than what I said Transpose

Ask thetechfreak. He posted a video of him playing Keyboard, so he can probably help you out.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Or rather, the position is the same. Only that the key has been flatted a whole step.

Last edited:

srkmish

Ambassador of Buzz
Hello, a fellow digit "musician here" :D.

A video of me playing my favorite song - Pehla nasha on Piano- by Srikant - YouTube

Top Bottom