Musicians Corner V1: Cover Band Edition

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Surely the one I'll be getting.

I wonder if I can plug in my portable amp and feed it to my earphones. Will that work ?

Yes, but its better to use headphones or the gain might ruin your earphones. You will also need a converter for the 3.5 mm jack to 6.35 mm.

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl
Yes the Affinity is pretty good, but it has only single coil pickups, good for playing clean tones. Get this if you don't plan on playing too much distortion or if you only want overdrive. I personally prefer the Ibanez. It has 2 Humbuckers and a single coil pickup and can handle a lot of distortion, ideal for metal and hard rock, but it has an EDGE III tremolo bridge, which is a license-built Floyd-Rose, so re-tuning it will be a problem (as stated earlier). It'd be better if we go and look them up in the shop.

As for the woods, Basswood and Poplar are good. Not sure about the others, but STAY AWAY FROM AGATHIS. It is really cheap quality wood used to make doors and windows.

edge 3 is a below par trem..stay away from it.ever wondered why the new 2012 ibanez models have edge 2?if some guitar has an edge 3 its from 2011.on the other hand edge 2 zps is a good trem,even the 80 k premiums have it[slightly good hardware though]edge is ibanez's own technology,like the FR.metal acts like iron maiden,yngvie malmsteen etc always used strat:)original american basswoods are found in high end ibanezs.mahagony is also quite good,the les pauls are mahagonies.

Y

Because its the GRG250. The RG250 will be almost double of its cost.

Original Fender Strats cost around 80k last I checked. Someone I know got one second hand for 18k.

rg 250s are discontinued i think.i meant its better to get an rg than a gio at that price range 0f 30 k like this rg.

Buy Online | Lowest Price | Free Shipping| Ibanez RG350MZ Electric Guitar - Buy online at the guaranteed lowest price in India - BAJAAO - Buy online and Review Musical Instruments, Pro Audio, Studio, P.A. Audio Equipment in India

and fenders starts from 40 k like these ones

Buy Online | Lowest Price | Free Shipping| Fender (Mexican) Standard Stratocaster SSS (Rosewood) Guitar - Buy online at the guaranteed lowest price in India - BAJAAO - Buy online and Review Musical Instruments, Pro Audio, Studio, P.A. Audio Equipment

Buy Online | Lowest Price | Free Shipping| Fender Standard Mexican Stratocaster Electric Guitar - Buy online at the guaranteed lowest price in India - BAJAAO - Buy online and Review Musical Instruments, Pro Audio, Studio, P.A. Audio Equipment in Indi

You can start with "Am I Evil ?". If you listen to the vocalist, you will notice the similarity to James Hetfield's voice. Diamond Head is a great influence on Metallica. Metallica even covered "Am I Evil?".

Surely the one I'll be getting.

I gave you the links of instrumentals before. Personally I am not into hard rock and metal. Lets have a look at the offering there in the shop. I have not much idea about it.

i saw your videos.its kind of instrumental rock acoustic instrumental rock or mainstream rock and all you idols uses strats and telecasters.look no further than a basic strat or ibanez.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
rg 250s are discontinued i think.i meant its better to get an rg than a gio at that price range 0f 30 k like this rg.

Buy Online | Lowest Price | Free Shipping| Ibanez RG350MZ Electric Guitar - Buy online at the guaranteed lowest price in India - BAJAAO - Buy online and Review Musical Instruments, Pro Audio, Studio, P.A. Audio Equipment in India
[/url]
I saw there are other variations of the base model .

With Bound Rosewood fingerboard
RG350EXZ - Ibanez Wiki
RG350DXZ - Ibanez Wiki

With Maple fingerboard
RG350MZ - Ibanez Wiki

i saw your videos.its kind of instrumental rock acoustic instrumental rock or mainstream rock and all you idols uses strats and telecasters.look no further than a basic strat or ibanez.
How are the above for this kind of music.

Someone in facepunch forum recommended against Affinity or Bullet series from Fender. Standard series is better. I kind of like the zero point tuning system and the HSH pickup in Ibanez.

Personally DXZ is better overall IMO.

@Desmond and NanduCob

Which guitar you guys have ?

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl
I have a ibanez gsas 60 from the gio series,brought it second hand.not bad just a budget guitar:)

Ibanezes are considered as the most versatile guitars.Most of the guitars from gio up rg tremelo series have ibanez made pickups,like standard,powersound and inf.theyre neither good nor bad.U can always change the pickups to suite your genre that you like to play,like if you want to play metal you can select dimebuckers or sd blackouts,dimarzio evo for rock and so on.go to dimarzio.com.there is a pickup selector so that youll get an idea.So any(most of) guitar can be made versatile and be matched to suite your genre.Those with custom made pickups can be found in rg prestige and premium guitars,but they starts from 50-60k.the difference btw std guitars and prestige/premium is that they are made in japan with better craftmanship.

IIRC the rg 370 dxs are the most sold guitars of alltime from ibanez,total vfm.The guitars youve mentioned are almost same.and just Search for squier bullet then you'll know how bad it is.

Forget everything i said above,Since youre a begginer you can opt for any guitar as long as it is playable or you can buy a used guitar like me and save to buy an rg premium.or you can direcly buy a good guitar.if you intend to buy something around 30k range go with an rg 350 or 370 and change the pickups,later,then you ll be getting somewhat a premium guitar.i dont have any experience with single coil strats,but avoid the squier bullets.

And regarding the rosewood and maple fingerboards-its sure that it has an effect on the tone,but they should be mostly considered in terms of playability.you cant say one is better than another,it comes under 'preferences'.Youre just starting out.,so never mind:D

Last edited:

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I used to have an Ibanez GRG170DX, it had a FAT 10 tremolo and HSH pickup config. It broke, so I bought a ESP LTD m-50. With this, I sacrificed 2 extra frets and the S pickup for better tone, because tone is everything in a guitar..

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Thanks for the helpful inputs.

I am listing my options here:
IBANEZ:

RG350MZ
*www.ibanez.co.jp/products/images/eg2012/RG350MZ_YE_1P_01.png

RG350EXZ
*www.ibanez.co.jp/products/images/eg2012/RG350EXZ_BK_1P_01.png

RG350DXZ

*www.ibanez.co.jp/products/images/eg2012/RG350DXZ_WH_1P_01.png

RG370DXZ
*www.ibanez.co.jp/products/images/eg2012/RG370DXZ_BK_1P_01.png

FENDER:

Classic Vibe Stratocaster® '50s
*media.fmicdirect.com/squier/images/products/guitars/0303000505_frt_wmd_001.jpg

Vintage Modified Stratocaster® HSS
*media.fmicdirect.com/squier/images/products/guitars/0301215506_frt_wmd_001.jpg

Deluxe Stratocaster®
*media.fmicdirect.com/squier/images/products/guitars/0300500523_frt_wmd_001.jpg

Which one of these will be versatile enough and can be modified later easy ? Easy tuning is required too. If you can recommend another one then that will fine too.

I am more leaning towards this:
Vintage Modified Stratocaster® HSS

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl
The 350s and 370s are almost the same.i would say,pick the 370,if you dont like the scratch guard and it will be slightly better.(check out the rg 470s also)As i said above any guitar can be made versatile,and changing pickups is almost the same,for the fenders its just the single coil.

But IMHO the classic vibe strat looks damn ****ing sexy,:D,and they will be more suited for your style.i will suggest you to watch musicians who use fender strats like Jeff beck(must watch),David gilmour,Eric clapton,eric Johnson,Ron wood(theyre more on the soft rock side) on youtube and see if you want that single coil tone or else go with the 370(Mr Vai,John petrucci etc )
Both guitars are good,actually.But it looks like youre raised your budget so my vote is for the fender classic strat:)

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Yup the strat is good enough, all of them have vintage tremolos. I don't think you need the fat strat though for your kind of music, but it does help since it reduces humming.

Please note that the shop does not have a huge variety of models, so you may have to make do with whatever is the best over there. They have the Strat though.

Also note that looks are secondary and tone/attack is more important.

Edit : Do you have prior experience with guitars or you total noob?

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
@Nanducob
Classic Vibe 50s. I guess then that it is.

@Desmond
Probably they can source the guitar from other retailers ? I'll send them a mail for it's availability.

Do you know the guys at furtados ? I see that the same guitar goes for almost 10k bucks less in US.

I started out with acoustic back in 2011 dec but left it over there. Count me as a noob in present context.

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl
^first go to shop and check out the prices,dont buy at first,do some research and buy:)and yeah the prices are very high.the 370s actually cost around 350$.
here's a guy playing fender squier strat

Yup the strat is good enough, all of them have vintage tremolos. I don't think you need the fat strat though for your kind of music, but it does help since it reduces humming.

Please note that the shop does not have a huge variety of models, so you may have to make do with whatever is the best over there. They have the Strat though.

Also note that looks are secondary and tone/attack is more important.

Edit : Do you have prior experience with guitars or you total noob?

yeah looks are secondary its very temping when i see something nice like that strat:D
but we can shape tone by putting the right pickups,even dimarzio has those single coils,virtual vintage i think,and they claim it to have absolutely zero hum.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
^first go to shop and check out the prices,dont buy at first,do some research and buy:)and yeah the prices are very high.the 370s actually cost around 350$.
Where do I see those prices in India ? :cry: I guess I have to cut my losses and deal with prices.

Everyone is suggesting for to go for Classic Vibe for the kind of music I like.

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl
Its very costly here,and it costlier since $ value is high,most online shops have increased up to 4k.And we cant take any chances importing something from musicianfriend etc.Imo the budget guitars are costly most high ends guitars are about same as U.S price,if not a little higher.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Its very costly here,and it costlier since $ value is high,most online shops have increased up to 4k.And we cant take any chances importing something from musicianfriend etc.Imo the budget guitars are costly most high ends guitars are about same as U.S price,if not a little higher.

Which high end ones are about same ?

Musicianfriend was recommended by another guy too but the import duties will probably make it costlier and the risk of damage is huge.

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl
high end guitars like the rg premium and prestiges,high end schcters etc are about same IMO.but they start from 55 to 60k here and about 900$ @musicians friend.even if you import something from ebay it will be more than the original price,so its better to buy from india,

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
You can look up Thomann Cyberstore. These guys ship everywhere in the world and prices are quite reasonable. However, damage risk and after sales services can be a pain.

You can also look up bajaao.com for indian prices, but prices will more or less be the same.

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl
^but wont they have to pass through the customs? and customs duty is around 29% or something.

I used to have an Ibanez GRG170DX, it had a FAT 10 tremolo and HSH pickup config. It broke, so I bought a ESP LTD m-50.
oh yeah,i remember that in your sig,someday back then.you seem to destroy:D everything from the picks to guitars.how it broke?

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Waiting from reply from Furtados about my query. Lets hope I get a good price.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
^but wont they have to pass through the customs? and customs duty is around 29% or something.

oh yeah,i remember that in your sig,someday back then.you seem to destroy:D everything from the picks to guitars.how it broke?

Long story, actually got into a fight with some illiterate maggots and they thrashed it.

Top Bottom