Musicians Corner V1: Cover Band Edition

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl
I am practicing but not able to hit the correct string without looking, and even by looking I make lots of mistakes. And also not able to stretch my fingers of left hand, like reaching the 1st and 3rd fret together.

dont get frustrated,it takes time(and im no master!).and guys its not the practice that'll make you perfect,its the 'perfect practice' that will make you almost perfect.just think like this-you play something,let it be a song,for about 100 times in which you play it wrongly for 95 times,then how can you expect it to be perfect at the 101 th time?so try not to make mistakes,coz music is all about hitting the right notes at the right time.so start to learn slowly and perfectly.always use a metronome,you can thank me later.know your weaknesses and strengths and choose the songs wisely,ie u can be happy knowing that you can play a simple song correctly rather be frustrated about what you cant play. and the golden rule in guitar is to never giue up playing(if u like playing).youve got a lifetime to play:).so enjoy playing.these are somethings ive recently learned abt playing guitar;)

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I am practicing but not able to hit the correct string without looking, and even by looking I make lots of mistakes. And also not able to stretch my fingers of left hand, like reaching the 1st and 3rd fret together.

Yup, you gotta start slow. Don't move to the other strings till you are confident that you got one string right. I'll assume that you are trying to do the chromatic scale exercise starting at the 6th string. Don't move to the 5th string till you get your fingers adjusted to the fret positions. If you think playing fret no. 1,2,3 and 4 is harder, try playing at fret nos. 7,8,9,10 or 5,6,7,8 and then move down the fretboard as you gain confidence. Remember to play the notes up-down-up-down, this way you won't injure your finger.
Posted via Mobile Device

bubusam13

Human
dont get frustrated,it takes time(and im no master!).and guys its not the practice that'll make you perfect,its the 'perfect practice' that will make you almost perfect.just think like this-you play something,let it be a song,for about 100 times in which you play it wrongly for 95 times,then how can you expect it to be perfect at the 101 th time?so try not to make mistakes,coz music is all about hitting the right notes at the right time.so start to learn slowly and perfectly.always use a metronome,you can thank me later.know your weaknesses and strengths and choose the songs wisely,ie u can be happy knowing that you can play a simple song correctly rather be frustrated about what you cant play. and the golden rule in guitar is to never giue up playing(if u like playing).youve got a lifetime to play:).so enjoy playing.these are somethings ive recently learned abt playing guitar;)

Okay, this reply is an acknowledgement that I have read what u said. And as asked, will thank you later.

bubusam13

Human
Yup, you gotta start slow. Don't move to the other strings till you are confident that you got one string right. I'll assume that you are trying to do the chromatic scale exercise starting at the 6th string. Don't move to the 5th string till you get your fingers adjusted to the fret positions. If you think playing fret no. 1,2,3 and 4 is harder, try playing at fret nos. 7,8,9,10 or 5,6,7,8 and then move down the fretboard as you gain confidence. Remember to play the notes up-down-up-down, this way you won't injure your finger.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanku... will practice n practice n practice

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl
heheh :D[YOUTUBE]DxL9QVHO0To[/YOUTUBE]

tal wilkenfeld,my favourite

[YOUTUBE]wf-J_sJB29Q[/YOUTUBE]

you people should focus more on music..nah just kidding hehehe

Okay, this reply is an acknowledgement that I have read what u said. And as asked, will thank you later.

sorry if i sounded like a teacher:wink:

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Found a new hobby in music production. Started learning a tool called LMMS, which is a free DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) which can create some pretty decent tunes and has an extensive library of FX, presets and instruments. Here is something I made while fooling around :

Trial and error by Desmond David on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

PS: Its Industrial since its one of my favourite genres.

abhidev

Human Spambot
have you guys heard abt 'Sungha Jung'...he is the youngest and best guitar player....always wanted to learn guitar since college...but he inspired me to go ahead with it...he is just amazing...check this out...

[YOUTUBE]XAGXzdduhjI[/YOUTUBE]

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
have you guys heard abt 'Sungha Jung'...he is the youngest and best guitar player....always wanted to learn guitar since college...but he inspired me to go ahead with it...he is just amazing...check this out...

[YOUTUBE]XAGXzdduhjI[/YOUTUBE]

Pretty good stuff. Guys got talent.

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl
Yeah, right :p

Besides, cannot compare this guy to Herman Li. That guy burns the fretboard. XD

Update : Learning music theory. What's the point of playing music when you don't know what you are playing :D

good,playing some songs on guitar and knowing some theory are totally different:cool:.i also studied some theory up to circle of fifths and got bored:|.so ill be glad if some body here can share some theory they already know.like to start everything from the beggining.we can use the '' music theory the beggining '' guide from the ultimate guitar,which i think is more than enough for a begginer.so anyone:)

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
None of the Beatles' knew Music theory :-D

Of course, music has no rules. But music theory helps you to understand music better and provides the means to share your music with others, i.e. in a notation others can understand.

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl
None of the Beatles' knew Music theory :-D

that may be the reason why their music is kindof 'basic'.but those who didnt knew any theory had atleast some idea about it like jimi hendrix etc.wont hurt knowing a little theory,but its hard to digest.all those ****ing scales,modes etc etc.i went for classes but they start from the beginning,ie playing those simple tunes like jingle bells etc again got bored and stopped going there:D
Is it okay to have 4 classes in a month?how often did you get the classes?(if youre going/went to classes)

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Hendrix didn't know music theory either. He learned the guitar from scratch, on his own, without any instructor (In that order). That's why he is a guitar legend.

Actually, you don't need to know Music theory to make music, but you need it, if you want to tell others what you are playing or share it with others (provided they know something as well).

I am not going to any classes, I am learning on my own. I bought a book called "Complete Idiot's Guide to Music Theory" by Michael Miller. I read, do exercises and learn.

If you have the patience, this guy teaches free Music theory and he is pretty comprehensive:

This is the first video in the series:

[YOUTUBE]6gHEIF0rT2w[/YOUTUBE]

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl
Thanks for the link.the tutor is a nice guy and easy to understand.
There are many guitarists out there that are better than hendrix.even hendrix had openely said that he isnt the greatest guitarist since he said that he makes mistakes too often. So What made hendrix the ultimate guitar legend is his contributions to electric guitar n rock music.just some facts
-He popularised the tremelo and wah wah pedal
-used pedals and effects along with feedback and 'distortion':D,reverb.
-even a chord is named af ter him(hendrix chord)
-he destroyed his gear after the gig:D which many bands would later mimic.
-his obscure stage antics.
-he played a right hand guitar upside down.
-he could play guitar with his teeth and behind his back(you can see it in bbc's voodo child documentary)
-ditched the image of a rock band by taking leads and vocals at the same time.
-His music was hardcore and heavy at that time,beatles were pussies:D.
-that was the late 60's
in short he was ahead of the time and the god of guitar.

Top Bottom