Musicians Corner V1: Cover Band Edition

digitfan

Right Off the Assembly Line
^^My vocal is very bad people will think a fox is crying.I think i will stick with the instruments only. I love piano,guitar & violin.There are few other instruments too but i dont know their name will post them as soon as i find them.I think Indian music is tough to learn therefore i want to try from simple first.What do you suggest?
Btw please tell me what is your specialty i mean what do you play?

Mario

Ambassador of Buzz
I want to learn music dont know from where to start.I am illiterate in music cant read those tune notations.:(.Any suggestions?

Read a book on music theory! Western music theory to be precise, if you want to keep it simple!

Ok, then which one is good ? The one I posted in my post of some other.

The one in your post is a good one. You could also try some cheaper ones (~500 bucks) at local music stores, since you are a beginner!

digitfan

Read a book on music theory! Western music theory to be precise, if you want to keep it simple!
Thank you for the book name.Btw do you think i should join a class instead.But the charges they are asking is too much for a beginner i think.

digitfan

^Learn from youtube then:)

^Learn from youtube then:)
Ok can you give me some good links.I know you cannot learn everything from youtube but i just want to be a music literate.I mean i should be able to read abcd and construct a sentence of my own means make some original tunes of my own.

For a start a harmonica will do.:) btw anybody plays bagpipe i love that instrument too.:)

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Best app for tuning is DaTuner.

Make sure that you tune the strings as follows : E2 A2 D3 G3 B3 E4 (if you are using DaTuner)

So I tuned my guitar using DaTuner. E2 starts from thick wire ?

Time to watch some guitar tutorial vids from L&M.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.

I found gstrings to very simple as compared to DaTuner which has lots of settings
yes E2 is the thick wire string.we call it Low E and the E4 is thin string High E

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
I found digital interface easy on first try. Haven't tried gstrings.

OMG, this guitar is a beauty. The combo with Fiio G01 and miracle is just so good. So much to learn and so much excitement.

Mario

Ambassador of Buzz
Ok can you give me some good links.I know you cannot learn everything from youtube but i just want to be a music literate.I mean i should be able to read abcd and construct a sentence of my own means make some original tunes of my own.

For a start a harmonica will do.:) btw anybody plays bagpipe i love that instrument too.:)

I think you are talking about composition and arrangement.

You need some solid music theory knowledge and either some playing ability (cheap keyboard) or super-duper visualizing-the-music-in-your-head skill to be able to "compose". It will take time unless you are Beethoven/Mozart/Chopin etc!
Read some music theory book, if you don't have any specific instrument choice (you want to be more of a composer than a musician), then buy a cheap keyboard so that you can "hear" what you will be reading. (or else it will just be like reading gibberish)

Another important skill you would need is transcribing - the more you can transcribe accurately, the better ( or at least, the less worse) will be your compositions! Again, this will not come in a day/week/month/year.

Keep doing it and it will happen. Youtube will teach you instrument-playing; for "music literacy", join some music/instrument forums and read up on their music theory or composition threads. One very good place to go would be UG's forums.

Forum member Ghormanas plays bagpipes! Or was he learning? Dont remember exactly...

You following Steve Krenz stuff by any chance? If so, initial parts (absolute basics) are ok, later parts are crap! Later parts are more like mugging up the equation without knowing the formula.
The more you advance, try to read some theory and relate your playing stuff with that theory -- of course, this does not apply if you are just "guitar"-ing to impress the fairer sex! ;)

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
^And to get out of tune:D

Not if you are using a Floyd-Rose suspended bridge tremolo.

@Faun: KORG is the best tuner to buy....even pros recommend it

Agree

I want to learn music dont know from where to start.I am illiterate in music cant read those tune notations.:(.Any suggestions?

You will have to learn music theory for that. But, don't go that path since it is not necessary to know music theory to play guitar.

Yes, all tunings notations progress from thickest string to the thinnest string.

I found gstrings to very simple as compared to DaTuner which has lots of settings
yes E2 is the thick wire string.we call it Low E and the E4 is thin string High E

DaTuner has more features like noise cancellation.

Hrishi

Guys , record and share your instrument playback here . It would be really nice ,.!! :)
Awaiting.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Here are the pics :p

*farm9.staticflickr.com/8087/8415847519_b55170c8c4_c.jpg
Classic Vibe Stratocaster '50s by psygeist, on Flickr

*farm9.staticflickr.com/8087/8416952794_6602868dee_c.jpg

*farm9.staticflickr.com/8330/8416964350_b203855b3a_c.jpg

*farm9.staticflickr.com/8051/8416950830_a413273047_c.jpg