Musicians Corner V1: Cover Band Edition

Mario

Ambassador of Buzz
I can read and understand books fast, but can't learn "playing" fast enough! :(
No good teachers here, all are "follow my way or the highway"!
To hell with them!

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I can read and understand books fast, but can't learn "playing" fast enough! :(
No good teachers here, all are "follow my way or the highway"!
To hell with them!

Instructors can be a******s, but know that an instructor can teach you faster than you can learn on your own. Its a necessary evil.

I hate them because all of them are teaching bollywood bullshit. So, be on a lookout for someone who is well versed in music theory and can play a wide variety of genres (except bollywood). Such instructors are the best.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Thanks guys for the detailed advice. Guitar should be in my hand on Friday. Saturday and Sunday for exploring everything about it.

Now the question is how do I tune the strings. I have no idea. I got this gstring app in android which is supposed to help in tuning.

Is there any other easy way since I won't be having any tuning instrument at my disposal.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Best app for tuning is DaTuner.

Make sure that you tune the strings as follows : E2 A2 D3 G3 B3 E4 (if you are using DaTuner)

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Best app for tuning is DaTuner.

Make sure that you tune the strings as follows : E2 A2 D3 G3 B3 E4 (if you are using DaTuner)

One more thing, after tuning with the app, do a manual check to see if the strings are indeed in tune (5th fret technique). This is to rule out intonation problems that might be with your guitar.

Mario

Ambassador of Buzz
Thanks guys for the detailed advice. Guitar should be in my hand on Friday. Saturday and Sunday for exploring everything about it.

Now the question is how do I tune the strings. I have no idea. I got this gstring app in android which is supposed to help in tuning.

Is there any other easy way since I won't be having any tuning instrument at my disposal.

My opinion would be -

Forget apps - buy an electronic tuner - cheap ones available at ~500 bucks.
Also try 5th fret method like Desmond said.
Don't go for pipes - your ears are probably not ready for them yet.

For metronome, you can get an app or software metronome - but verify its "timeliness" before you start using it. [Yes, not all software metronomes are accurate]

The best metronome is your feet. And your head! Also, you can practice "beat keeping" anywhere, anytime - just try tapping your feet or clapping your hands lightly every time you hear any piece of music. This will help you get rid of any dependency on a metronome. Once you master this, you will see identifying quarter/eighth/half notes is piece of cake!

-----------

Edit: Just noticed the whammy on your axe! I am not sure but I have heard tuning whammy-s is a pita! Desmond, your thoughts?

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.

Gstrings is very good app..just press auto tune and tight each string slowly
standard tuning is A440 (E A D G B E)

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Edit: Just noticed the whammy on your axe! I am not sure but I have heard tuning whammy-s is a pita! Desmond, your thoughts?

That's a Vintage Fender tremolo, its not Floyd-Rose (or one of its derivatives). So tuning this one is not a problem. It will lose tuning faster though if you use the tremolo arm frequently. But, the advantage is that you can use different tunings without much trouble.

Tuning a Floyd-Rose is a pain in the ass. But, once tuned, the tuning can stay forever. No matter how much you bend the tremolo arm.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
I was reading that thick string E note tuning. Where you first tune it by listening to an mp3 file for that tone or another instrument keys to match it. And then produce other tones using frets on the already tuned thick E string.

Sounds alright to me.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Getting the tone right merely by listening to a note is not easy to accomplish. I've been playing for so long yet I don't get it right all the time. It's better to use a tuner for 1 string and you can tune the rest using the 5th fret technique I mentioned earlier.

This is so that you don't ruin the tuning if your guitar intonation is incorrect. But, if its a new guitar, you can tune all strings using the tuner without any problems.

Mario

Ambassador of Buzz
Yeah, tuning by ear is pretty difficult! @Faun, get a electronic tuner!

@Desmond: Thanks for the info on the whammy! :)

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
How is this pitchjack tuner, seems to just plug into the guitar and do that tuning.

Guitar and Bass Chromatic Tuner | Korg Pitchjack

Available for 1190
Korg GB-1 Pitchjack Plug-In Guitar and Bass Tuner GB1 | eBay

Yeah, tuning by ear is pretty difficult! @Faun, get a electronic tuner!

@Desmond: Thanks for the info on the whammy! :)

Ok, then which one is good ? The one I posted in my post of some other.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
How is this pitchjack tuner, seems to just plug into the guitar and do that tuning.

Guitar and Bass Chromatic Tuner | Korg Pitchjack

Available for 1190
Korg GB-1 Pitchjack Plug-In Guitar and Bass Tuner GB1 | eBay

Ok, then which one is good ? The one I posted in my post of some other.

Well, it wont tune the guitar for you :lol:, it will only tell you the current tuning of each note. You will have to turn the tuners yourself in the end. DaTuner is more than enough to get your tuning going.

In strats the idea of trem is to alter a note or two.no fancy divebombing there !

Why not? Just hit a harmonic and bend the tremolo forward.

digitfan

Right Off the Assembly Line
I want to learn music dont know from where to start.I am illiterate in music cant read those tune notations.:(.Any suggestions?

Top Bottom