Musicians Corner V1: Cover Band Edition

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Hi guys...

please give some good tutorial on strumming with a pick...
coz I saw pick holding tutorials & can strum only down strokes properly the up strokes are not good (as High-E string is obstructing it)
but if I hold the pick from end exposing more of the surface then I can strum good (both up/down) but problem is the pick tends to slip away slowly

REY619

Ambassador of Buzz
Thank you guys. Will go for acoustic one then.

If connectivity is required later, will attach a pickup. :)

Thanks.

Last edited:

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
Nice thread! Seems like TDF's becoming a Hypermarket - For all your needs. :-D
Anyways, I longed for an acoustic guitar. I don't have any idea about guitars, but would like to buy one and learn it too. Can anyone help me with buying one suggesting good brands, places to buy from (in Delhi), approx prices, etc. AFAIK, the Daryaganj area here in Delhi has a host of musical instruments stores, but they, probably will sell out for a premium and also, there might be a chance that some will try to dupe noobs into buying fakes.

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl
Hi guys...

coz I saw pick holding tutorials & can strum only down strokes properly the up strokes are not good (as High-E string is obstructing it)
but if I hold the pick from end exposing more of the surface then I can strum good (both up/down) but problem is the pick tends to slip away slowly

hey mate,the problem with upsrokes/strumming up is that you have to work againest the gravity,thats why its difficult,but it improves with time.infact upstrokes are difficult to master.See some Marty Friedman videos,he is the king of upstrokes,but his hand position is unorthodox.it wont help you much,just see;)
Also the pick matters.I will post some videos i used for reference ,as soon as i get back home.

Than you guys. Will go for acoustic one then.

If connectivity is required later, will attach a pickup. :)

Thanks.

Happy guitar-ing !It will be the happiest day in your life,as it was for me:)

Nice thread! Seems like TDF's becoming a Hypermarket - For all your needs. :-D
Anyways, I longed for an acoustic guitar. I don't have any idea about guitars, but would like to buy one and learn it too. Can anyone help me with buying one suggesting good brands, places to buy from (in Delhi), approx prices, etc. AFAIK, the Daryaganj area here in Delhi has a host of musical instruments stores, but they, probably will sell out for a premium and also, there might be a chance that some will try to dupe noobs into buying fakes.
i dont know much abt shops in delhi,but if you intend to buy online-
Home - BAJAAO - Buy online and Review Musical Instruments, Pro Audio, Studio, P.A. Audio Equipment in India
Buy Guitars, Pianos, Keyboards, Drums & Music Instruments Online in India | Online Musical Instrument Store | Furtados Online
Buy Guitars Online | Guitars Price in India | Saptaswara Chennai, India
Guitar,Electric guitars, Buy Guitar Online,Ibanez Guitar,Yamaha Guitar,Fender Gu - Musical instruments,Guitar,Keyboard,Drumset,Music Instruments,musical instrument store,online musical instruments,Raj musicals,delhi,india
Buy Guitar Online - Buy Guitar, Buy Guitar Online India

last two mentioned stores are located @ delhi.Dont buy for the first time,compare and see whats good.Branded guitars have serial no:s printed around the headstock,so dont worry.just my 2 cents.wait for others suggestions:)

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
*i.imgur.com/36YIb.jpg

I find this strangely familiar. Whenever I cover something I don't have much trouble, but when I try to make something on my own, it always sounds shitty. This discourages me a lot. After seeing this, I feel I need to practice more.

axes2t2

I am a cat
Have you ever had guests or dumbass friends come over to your house and ask "Oh you have a guitar,how many songs you can play ?"

YOU DON'T ASK US HOW MANY SONGS WE CAN PLAY,ASK THAT TO THOSE WHO HAVE GIVEN UP ON GUITAR AND HAVE THEM JUST HANGING ON THEIR WALLS !!!!!!

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Have you ever had guests or dumbass friends come over to your house and ask "Oh you have a guitar,how many songs you can play ?"

YOU DON'T ASK US HOW MANY SONGS WE CAN PLAY,ASK THAT TO THOSE WHO HAVE GIVEN UP ON GUITAR AND HAVE THEM JUST HANGING ON THEIR WALLS !!!!!!

Well, I've had guests and friends over who demand me to play some random song I have no idea about and expect me to know it. Left me **** face on several occasions. If I try to impro, they all have poker faces, having not a single clue what I am doing.

It does break my heart to see people who just learn guitar just for style or to impress some random chicks.

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl
Hi guys...

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
i dont know much abt shops in delhi,but if you intend to buy online-
Home - BAJAAO - Buy online and Review Musical Instruments, Pro Audio, Studio, P.A. Audio Equipment in India
Buy Guitars, Pianos, Keyboards, Drums & Music Instruments Online in India | Online Musical Instrument Store | Furtados Online
Buy Guitars Online | Guitars Price in India | Saptaswara Chennai, India
Guitar,Electric guitars, Buy Guitar Online,Ibanez Guitar,Yamaha Guitar,Fender Gu - Musical instruments,Guitar,Keyboard,Drumset,Music Instruments,musical instrument store,online musical instruments,Raj musicals,delhi,india
Buy Guitar Online - Buy Guitar, Buy Guitar Online India

last two mentioned stores are located @ delhi.Dont buy for the first time,compare and see whats good.Branded guitars have serial no:s printed around the headstock,so dont worry.just my 2 cents.wait for others suggestions:)
Thanks a ton for the reply. I have no reservations buying online, but somehow I feel, these things should be bought locally after physically checking/trying them (may be I'm wrong here). Just had a question unanswered. About the brands I should consider.

REY619

Ambassador of Buzz
Guys, to tune the guitar correctly, should I get a tuner separately?

Also there are hundreds of apps on Android market that turn your phone into a digital tuner, do they work fine? Has anyone tried?

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
@Nanducob: Thanks for the video..I know that man (David Taub) seen many of his videos...
i'll see if that helps me what I posted above (my problem with upstrokes??)

axes2t2

I am a cat
Guys, to tune the guitar correctly, should I get a tuner separately?

Also there are hundreds of apps on Android market that turn your phone into a digital tuner, do they work fine? Has anyone tried?

Yes,I am using the one named Gstrings.

But it would be better if you untune your guitar and tune it your self by listening to some online tuning samples.

Also always untune your guitar when not playing coz the guitar bends due to tension.

REY619

Ambassador of Buzz
Thanks for the tip, @axes and Zangetsu

And yes I got gStrings too, seems fine.

Last edited:

REY619

Ambassador of Buzz
If u play guitar daily then no need to untune...if u play after long time like 3~5 days gap then u shud untune

Thanks, I posted earlier after axes's reply, then saw your reply and edited my post. :p

Will untune if there is a gap of 2+ days then.

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl
Thanks a ton for the reply. I have no reservations buying online, but somehow I feel, these things should be bought locally after physically checking/trying them (may be I'm wrong here). Just had a question unanswered. About the brands I should consider.

yeah its good to buy locally,go with some one who knows abt guitars,but it will be a little costlier.Dont buy on the first visit,ask prices and search online if the prices are reasonable or not.
Good brands for beginner acoustic guitar are Yamaha,Cort.Yamaha f 270/310.Also look at the newer Yamaha Fs series,if theyre available.costs b/w 6-9k.Theyrall bang for yer buck.
A little bit cheaper options would Pluto,Granada etc.Dont shell out more than 10k on a acoustic guitar,if u are starting out.Other famous brands like Ibanez,Gibson,Esp have good guitars but theyre more than 10k-ish.
Personally i ve tried the Yamahas,they are nicely built(for the price) and 'fun' to play.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Thanks, I posted earlier after axes's reply, then saw your reply and edited my post. :p

Will untune if there is a gap of 2+ days then.

Untune for a gap of more than 1 week. Also, untune if you are going to travel long distance with your guitar.

Top Bottom