Movies Discussion Thread V1: Ratings and Opinions

rajatGod512

N00B Troller
Reboot? IMO It's the missing piece which connects the x-men with x-men.

I mean they resurrected Jean , Cyclops and now we can have new movies with the same characters even though most of them died and without affecting any of the original trilogy :)) .

ssb1551

Technomancer
With so many reviews on XMDOFP, I've to say - It doesn't deserve 9 or more than that. It shouldn't get more than 6.5 for 2 important reasons. 1) It was Kitty Pryde aka Shadowkat who went back in time with the help of Scarlett Witch in the DOFP comics and 2) Mystique can't use the powers of mutants she changes into. She can take their shape and thats it. It is Rogue who can use other Mutants power. So the whole premise of the Sentinels getting and using Mutant powers based on Mystique's blood is absurd. But Pietro Maximoff aka Quicksilver's scene in the Pentagon was the highlight of the movie, although no such thing happened in comics. Evan Peters, one of Kickass' friends (Interesting fact Aaron Tyler Jhonson is gonna play the role of Pietro Maximoff in Avengers 2), does justice to the character of Quicksilver featured in the Uncanny X-Men series. The end credits scene which I missed is gonna be a delight for people who follow the comics. I hope they do justice to the character of En Sabah Nour aka Apocalypse - the 1st mutant. If directed and followed the comics story as it is the next X-Men movie can be even better than Avengers, but I guess the Hollywood script writers are gonna add some of their own story to the original one. But until then we can look forward to "I am Groot"!!

rajatGod512

N00B Troller
With so many reviews on XMDOFP, I've to say - It doesn't deserve 9 or more than that. It shouldn't get more than 6.5 for 2 important reasons. 1) It was Kitty Pryde aka Shadowkat who went back in time with the help of Scarlett Witch in the DOFP comics and 2) Mystique can't use the powers of mutants she changes into. She can take their shape and thats it. It is Rogue who can use other Mutants power. So the whole premise of the Sentinels getting and using Mutant powers based on Mystique's blood is absurd. But Pietro Maximoff aka Quicksilver's scene in the Pentagon was the highlight of the movie, although no such thing happened in comics. Evan Peters, one of Kickass' friends (Interesting fact Aaron Tyler Jhonson is gonna play the role of Pietro Maximoff in Avengers 2), does justice to the character of Quicksilver featured in the Uncanny X-Men series. The end credits scene which I missed is gonna be a delight for people who follow the comics. I hope they do justice to the character of En Sabah Nour aka Apocalypse. If directed and followed the comics story as it is the next X-Men movie can be even better than Avengers, but I guess the Hollywood script writers are gonna add some of their own story to the original one. But until then we can look forward to "I am Groot"!!

Okay It wouldn't have worked from Box office or General Audience POV to stick that much to comics , Ellen Page (Kitty) is not on the same level of stardom as Hugh Jackman (Wolverine) , following comics too closely can turn a movie into financial disaster (happened to Watchmen) , not everything that works on comics works on the big screen .

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reeker 2005 *www.imdb.com/title/tt0393635/ - Strangers trapped at an eerie travel oasis in the desert must unravel the mystery behind their visions of dying people while they are preyed upon by a decaying creature. 6.5/10.

C.H.U.D. 1984 *www.imdb.com/title/tt0087015/ - A bizarre series of murders in New York City seems to point toward the existence of a race of mutant cannibals living under the streets. 7/10.

Airplane 1980 *www.imdb.com/title/tt0080339/ - An airplane crew takes ill. Surely the only person capable of landing the plane is an ex-pilot afraid to fly. But don't call him Shirley.
Over Hyped comedy flick. Though Leslie Nielsen is here he has not much to do. This one gets 5.5/10.

ssb1551

Technomancer
Okay It wouldn't have worked from Box office or General Audience POV to stick that much to comics , Ellen Page (Kitty) is not on the same level of stardom as Hugh Jackman (Wolverine) , following comics too closely can turn a movie into financial disaster (happened to Watchmen) , not everything that works on comics works on the big screen .

I dunno if Watchmen was a financial disaster but it was better than most of the movies based on comics. I guess there are very few people who like the movies close to comics.

Flash

Lost in speed
Mystique can't use the powers of mutants she changes into. She can take their shape and thats it.
I haven't seen the movie; but from what i've read - she can mimic the power of superhumans she's changing to. An excerpt can be found here. (look under the section - Weaknesses). One such example that we've seen earlier is - when she's fighting wolverine by taking his form in XMEN1 and hurting him with the mimicked-claws.

rajatGod512

N00B Troller
I dunno if Watchmen was a financial disaster but it was better than most of the movies based on comics. I guess there are very few people who like the movies close to comics.

It was a financial disaster and I didn't like it that much (I gave it a 7), yes there are very few quantity of people who watch movies that follow comics very closely , most of the people of that watch CBM's have not read a single comic book in their life :p .

quan chi

mortal kombat

I hated watchmen & I still hate it I have seen it two times.Normal & extended edition.I don't know how but somehow I survived those tortures.
I think I had a debate regarding that long back in this forum.
According to me its one of the worst boring superhero movies ever made.The extended crap shows another DC story (in animation) which itself is another torture.

Reading a comics/book & seeing a film is very different. Its like reading a book & understanding or listening to the teacher & understanding. What happens if the teacher just picks up the book and keep on reading it. What will you tell him/her? good or bad? Quite subjective isn't it?
Same thing happened with watchmen.

Flash

Lost in speed
Yea. Moreover most of the people don't know about Watchmen or its characters as like X-men/Avengers (or atleast the individual characters like Iron man, wolverine, magneto, black widow etc)..
I came to know about the Dr.Manhattan, Silk spectre, Ozymandias, Nite owl and the comedian only after watched that movie.

:(

- - - Updated - - -

I sense the same for "Guardians of the galaxy" - but this one is hugely backed by Marvel and Disney; Let's see how it scores on Aug,1.

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
X men Days of the future past - 8.5/10

Yes, after a long time, a x men movie which is fast, smart, precise and with more X-men qualified actions than a few crap movies made in last decade.

- - - Updated - - -

Yea. Moreover most of the people don't know about Watchmen or its characters as like X-men/Avengers (or atleast the individual characters like Iron man, wolverine, magneto, black widow etc)..
I came to know about the Dr.Manhattan, Silk spectre, Ozymandias, Nite owl and the comedian only after watched that movie.

:(

- - - Updated - - -

I sense the same for "Guardians of the galaxy" - but this one is hugely backed by Marvel and Disney; Let's see how it scores on Aug,1.

I saw mothman in a comics strip from a long forgotten closet. a DC strip, very old.

harry10

Gadgets freak
X-Men : Days of Future Past
Loved it. First class still remains my fav. X men movie but this was quite close. Best part is how they have given same screen time to all characters without making any one stand out. Quicksilver was the best and the kitchen scene was awesome.

They didn't explained in the movie how Xavier was still alive so had to google it which makes sense. So, as a complete reboot has been done the makers are free to experiment anything in coming installment. Exciting times ahead.

I saw a 12.30 pm day show after years. Wasn't expecting more than 10 people in the hall considering the hot weather outside. However, was amazed to see at least 90% hall was filled.

Also, at least 40 people waited with me for the after credit scene. A first for me to see so many people waiting. Took more than 5 minutes but the scene is totally worth it. Don't miss it.

Rating- 9/10

rajatGod512

N00B Troller
planning to watch Xmen on wednesday... is 3D worth it or will 2D be better ?? :)

Well 3D is just kinda there , there is no in your face 3D stuff , some scenes do get slightly enhanced by 3d but some starting future scene are quite dark . Quicksilver's scene looked good on 3D , otherwise not much .

- - - Updated - - -

X-Men : Days of Future Past
Loved it. First class still remains my fav. X men movie but this was quite close. Best part is how they have given same screen time to all characters without making any one stand out. Quicksilver was the best and the kitchen scene was awesome.

They didn't explained in the movie how Xavier was still alive so had to google it which makes sense. So, as a complete reboot has been done the makers are free to experiment anything in coming installment. Exciting times ahead.

I saw a 12.30 pm day show after years. Wasn't expecting more than 10 people in the hall considering the hot weather outside. However, was amazed to see at least 90% hall was filled.

Also, at least 40 people waited with me for the after credit scene. A first for me to see so many people waiting. Took more than 5 minutes but the scene is totally worth it. Don't miss it.

Rating- 9/10

I saw a 4pm show and it was House full , and about 25 people waited for the end credit scene , Felt good to see that many people . Mostly when I wait I am alone in the theater and the cleaning people are doing their job . :))

Flash

Lost in speed
[YOUTUBE]LnVoTt35Uw0[/YOUTUBE]

It's from the Marvel's After Credits Scenes - X-Men: The Last Stand (2006). It shows/portrays Xavier as still alive.
Now we know how Xavier appeared in "The Wolverine-post credits" and on "X-men: DOFP".

Ah! Come on!!! DOFP is not a reboot. :/

rajatGod512

N00B Troller
One thing they can never fix is how Moira Mactaggert was about the same age in both X-Men first Class which is set in 1960s and X-Men The Last Stand which is set in 2006 .

Top Bottom