Movies Discussion Thread V1: Ratings and Opinions

srkmish

Ambassador of Buzz
The cabin in the woods
I really don't know where to place this film. Though its a satire but some parts are hard to get.

One of my fav movies of all time. I have watched it 2-3 times at least. Id give it a solid 8. At first, i thought it would be a generic slasher, but the combination of comedy and genuine scares and the
ridiculous ending
made it a big winner in my book.

- - - Updated - - -

@ the people discussing lone survivor : Please post movie plots/content in spoiler tags :(

icebags

Technomancer
Saw it yesterday. It's a bit sentimental than its prequels. There are lot of in-jokes in most of the liners, as with the previous ones like Arnie saying "We should be retired, as we are old" and Li's arrival as a "very short notice". :rofl:

I especially liked the part when Ford mentions "Church (Willis) is out of the picture", as Willis demaned 1$ million for 1-day for 4 days - so Stallone replaced Willis with Ford. Overall, its better than Ex-2.

thought it was better than previous installments.

quan chi

mortal kombat
like which ? I didn't notice any .
Because they don't want you to notice...:) Anyways the scene where the beast re-transforms into hank (Scene when he first meets wolverine) has poor effect. Thats why the scene ends abruptly (complete re-transformation is not shown). Closeup shots of Mystique looks its completely fake same was the case in first class.There are more examples.. like I said if you are not paying attention to it then its fine.
Especially anyone who has played with any 3D animation software or has some minute knowledge on it can spot it clearly.:)

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Groundhog Day (1993) - IMDb - a great movie or love and comedy. It's movies like this which still reminds me of there's still some people who just need the right lesson to be a good person. 8.5/10.

rajatGod512

N00B Troller
Because they don't want you to notice...:) Anyways the scene where the beast re-transforms into hank (Scene when he first meets wolverine) has poor effect. Thats why the scene ends abruptly (complete re-transformation is not shown). Closeup shots of Mystique looks its completely fake same was the case in first class.There are more examples.. like I said if you are not paying attention to it then its fine.
Especially anyone who has played with any 3D animation software or has some minute knowledge on it can spot it clearly.:)

In theaters it looked awesome each and every scene , Should get nominator for Best Visual Effects . Cause the VFX were done by Weta Digital , MPC , Digital Domain and they are one of the biggest companies in the world in terms of CGI . Anyways , will check out when it comes on blu-ray .

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
yeh I agree First Class cgi was not only not great, it was also inconsistent

a lot of big budget hollywood movies have bad CGI in bits
for example, Life of Pi, which was appreciated for it's great cgi, Title sequence, had a 3d elephant worse than the one in Khatta Meetha
in Guardians of the Galaxy,
when Groot surrounds everyone else when the Dark Aster is going down
some of the Groot's rapid growth tendrils are animated pretty badly
The snakes crawling scene when the animals enter the Ark in Noah, from Aronofsky, a director who refused to do CGI in earlier movies (The Fountain) because it would turn out to be a dated film. The creature CGI in the rest of the movie is awesome.
Generally, CGI is muuch better in LOTR than The Hobbit

can think of more examples, but mostly the reason is that a bunch of studios do the cgi, not one, so it is and looks like a patchwork job. Also, bits and pieces of it is contracted, some to Studios in India, and these contracted bits are not credited

srkmish

Ambassador of Buzz
I have watched Half of LOTR, the orcs there look so cartoonish compared to Hobbit. The hobbit orcs look really nasty and fearsome.

quan chi

mortal kombat
****this post was placed two posts before but by mistake I deleted it thus reposting*****

In theaters it looked awesome each and every scene , Should get nominator for Best Visual Effects . Cause the VFX were done by Weta Digital , MPC , Digital Domain and they are one of the biggest companies in the world in terms of CGI . Anyways , will check out when it comes on blu-ray .
It was out on full HD (quality) (unoffcially).I am not sure if its still there. Moreover I don't have the first class disk with me now otherwise I would have given some examples.

Anyways the companies you have enlisted didn't work on the beast. R&H worked on the beast. Thats why I have especially mentioned it since they did a terrific job in the life of pi. Mystique's makeup itself was not that good.
In theaters it will look good because you don't have much time to pay attention to these details & they are made for theater viewing only. Then again if the movie is good its better to overlook them.

Lets not discuss about the other scenes. I think what the makers of the movie wanted to achieve has achieved nothing what I say will ever matter to them.:)

- - - Updated - - -

CGI is muuch better in LOTR than The Hobbit

can think of more examples, but mostly the reason is that a bunch of studios do the cgi, not one, so it is and looks like a patchwork job. Also, bits and pieces of it is contracted, some to Studios in India, and these contracted bits are not credited
Completely agree with you I was going to give this example but thought it would go way offtopic. Especially the last scene of the hobbit an unexpected journey (that dragon & bird part) has poor cgi effect. Btw R&H india really did a good work on the tiger (life of pi).

Btw just for example Rise of the planet of the apes & Ironman series VFX are really good.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
uh orcs in LOTR and Hobbit is complicated, some orcs are CGI, some are make-up
generally, in the making itself, you can see that Peter Jackson put a lot more effort and realism in LOTR by making the stuff more than real, that is they put in details that could not be picked up by the camera. In the Hobbit, the production had become streamlined enough that they put in exactly as much detail as could be seen by the camera, and didn't "waste" any effort on extra work. All of this is in the official making of and production blogs. This shows.

BTW, Prime Focus has worked on Sin City 2, TMNT, GoG.

Although according to me, it did a bad job of 3d conversion in GoG - like 3d in GoG has the opposite of the intended effect, it gives illusion of closeness instead of depth because distant things and close by things are uniformly stereoscopic. there is no way you can watch a Nebula in 3D. Like Nebulae in the background, not the char Nebula.

rajatGod512

N00B Troller
Orcs in LOTR was full prosthetics , make up , just slightly enhanced by CGI , thats why they looked menacing unlike the new Hobbit ones , which look funny .

Flash

Lost in speed
In 1973, CGI is not well developed. :lol:

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Adventureland 5/10

The low rating is not because of bad movie but because the movie made me angry.

Its a reasonably well made movie but it has no soul. Offers nothing new. An over used plot told from a overused point of view. Add slow pace on top of that. Waste of time.
What pains me more is few good actors (not counting Kirsten Stewart) can be seen really trying hard and taking this movie very seriously than they should.

Check it out if you want.

Mickey Virus 3.5/10

This is a study material for future film-makers on what happens when a misguided scriptwriter writes a screenplay on a misunderstood tribe....'hackers'!
:sigh: first half is passable with lot of distractions (like bathroom break, popcorn break, doodhwala break, paperwala break etc.) but post intermission it goes downhill.

Only actor who stands tall in this mess is "Varun Badola" acting as "Inspector Bhalla". If you watch this movie, watch only for him. Really impressed by his acting.

Last edited:

adityak469

Training To Beat Goku
Watched Expendables 3 yesterday. It delivers what it is supposed to deliver. 8/10 overall. 11/10 for the action and -3/10 for the story. Its the same. Revenge revenge revenge.

Top Bottom