Is cost of internet resonable in India?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
^haha use opera it loads most things one at a time, its bad with concurrently open tabs
A lot of things take time with computers, usage is factored after taking such time sinks into consideration
Honestly think that those 1.x seconds you hve to wait for a google search is far more irritating than the 20 minute wait time for an attachment download. The internet is getting faster even tho bandwidth is increasing.
You would expect cloud based applications to take up a lot of bandwidth, but they dont, they are the most economical and streamlined of web apps. Basically cloud is making stuff lighter instead of more sophesticated. Im totally failing to see the demand or utility of excessive bandwidth (above like more than 512). unless you woiking on heavy industrial use, even the most demanding video can be transfered... in uh.. real time, without any critical loss.
Usage patterns not changing, ppl still think anyone on the web is interested in photos larger than 1024 width. things will just get easier when ppl trust flickr or picasa more than their own hdds for all the photos they took in auto mode on their dslrs.
At the same time think of the benefits of datacasting as against data airing, this means content is sent instead of streamed. Casts > streams.

Tl;dr net is getting faster, we don nid to upgrade

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
LOL this post turned out to be a essay :p , students looking for Seminar topics can copy past this post :D ..

ok lets modify the "P" word for a better debate. lets call it "Multimedia Content Freely Accessible Over Internet" ( MCFAI )- here we will consider all different mediums only as data, be it streaming, game updates, downloads, distros, torrents etc. as streaming is also a method of downloading content to your device, either watch it or store it locally .. its still the same data.

now consider the amount of bandwidth you require. like 2.5GB, 25GB or 250GB

next comes speed, do you want to spend all of your bandwidth in 30 minutes or 30 days???

now lets mix and match..

a 10Mbps connection with a bandwidth of 2.5 GB will be a epic fail.

on the other hand a 256kbps connection (legally called as Braodband in India at the time of writing) with bandwidth of 250 GB will also be fail cause for that much data to download you might be waiting for the whole month.

from the above analogy.. bandwidth is the most important point.. speed is just how fast you want to consume your allotted bandwidth. so my point would be one should be paying for the bandwidth and not for speed.

But this analogy will not work for major part of India and other parts of the world as its a human mentality that they will try to take maximum from MCFAI. Once the user consumes all his/her allotted bandwidth, he/she will not be willing to pay more. companies can't say no to this and hence create Unlimited data plans and keep FUP limit. people end up cursing the ISP.... I do agree that some companies FUP standards are pathetic.

Note: I do know about affordable high speed internet .. I will come to that later. but for now..

There are two categories of users.

1. Who cannot afford Bandwidth - Students, unemployed youth, retired senior citizens living on pensions, underpaid employees etc.( please let me know if others come into this)
2. Who can afford Bandwidth - Rest of the public IMO.

I don't feel 2K is too high for internet service. Internet has become a integral part of everyday life.

Internet has changed a lot over last couple of years.Hardware has changed a lot, people can watch HD content directly on their television over the internet.
though Indian ISP's are capable of giving very high speed internet, there are not updating their plans to meet the demand. They are technically just following the guidelines set by TRAI of providing "Broadband" service.

Ill repeat what I said in the first post.
"Unless TRAI drastically changes the definition of Broadband in India larger ISP's will still take advantage of outdated rules"

now lets come to FTTH. im quite surprised with the offers of ACT and Beam. they are providing high speed medium bandwidth at reasonable rates. IMO this is primarily to attract customers but still its quite impressive.

finally I would agree with ico .. 2Mbps should be the next minimum speed to be defined as Broadband, if this happens then there will be no FUP limit for any basic plan. prices should be adjusted accordingly.. Rs. 450-750 bracket. anything less than 2Mbps would not be considered as Broadband.

I hope I didn't bore you guys, but I couldn't resist looking at all the requests for Unlimited plans :p

BTW I hope that some Subject Matter Expert looks into this thread and hopefully give a high end overview of how things work behind the doors.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
hmm
steam has an unbearable wait time at both 2mbps and 512kbps, you still have to keep it on and wait for it to get done and it kills brain cells to watch the progress bar inch forward a lil bit across an entire week
how about we put it another way. the amount of time google takes to return a search result is not at all dependent on your connection speeds. most legal internet radio and video is available for bufferless streaming at whatever bitrates are possible on your device.
when it really matters, your connection speed is inconsequential in the web 2.0 environment. maybe we are at a point when packet loss and distance affect usage more than speed.

akkib89

Broken In
I relish the times when bsnl had just launched 3g. That time my neighbour had a nokia navigator phone and he used to download appx 200-300 gb appx every month. IDM gave a constants speed of 1-1.5Mbps, that too during daytime. And the plan was just for Rs274 I think! When I bought a huwaei modem, Bsnl was still giving the same benefits but I could enjoy it only for a few months because soon tariffs were changed and unlimited was no longer UNLIMITED. That was in 2010 I think.

My edge phone now has reliance net pack of rs 178 and 20 gb usage per month. 3g rates are too high.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Most of plans and speeds are not reasonable. Websites are getting content rich every minute. A 256 kbps connection just loads and loads and loads. Sites like Gizmodo, etc take an epic ammount of time. 2 mbps should have been de facto by now. But Government plans that only by 2020.

I have 10mbps ; 75 gb FUP(only
download) ; 2mbps after that .for
1400 pm/-
somewhat reasonable

amjath

Human Spambot
I use BSNL UL750+, 1Mbps 6gb fup then 512Kbps [u know that]. Started Downloading transformers trilogy complete bluray 109GB :D, downloading @ ~120KB/s, it ll take 1 week 6 days to complete, imagine when my fup gets over :(

pkkumarcool

Game & anime Lover
yeah i remember that !! lol Gone are those plans,gone are the Days!why always past seems to be better than present?
bsnl just launched 3g they didnt know anything abt capping speeds...274 was a 2g plan but bsnl has acess to 3g network in 2g.Btw i also have some free net experiences with airtel using vpns.But everything doesnt last foreva...

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
I think the following would get the attention of TRAI.

Aamir Khan should discuss this problem in next season of Satyamev Jayate, Digit members can represent the victims :p

Renny

Padawan
I have 10mbps ; 75 gb FUP(only download) ; 2mbps after that .for 1400 pm/-

I can't understand the problem :-D

Haha..but yeah I was with Airtel before that and it was Hell.

We do need Higher speed with more FUP.

We don't have netflix and other service and they will not come unless we have such service.

If my Local ISP can manage such an awesome speed; then major corporate like Airtel can surely do. But they won't . Greed.

Act TV Bangalore?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom