Is cost of internet resonable in India?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Let me start with a quote from Mahatma Gandhi which triggered this question of mine

“Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need, but not every man's greed”

I had this question from a long time, and there are many members who are not satisfied with either their speed or their bandwidth allotted or the price they are willing to pay to the ISP for accessing internet.

How much speed or bandwidth is required for a consumer?

One of the important point to consider is that internet has become a integral part of everyday life and to get proper service you should consider a good ISP/Plan to suite your requirement.

I see people dreaming 2Mbps Unlimited data without FUP for cheap rates!!!! why unlimited? you want to download the whole internet?

Main and true reason would be to download tons of Movies and music and other content. Any one disagrees?

I used to be on a BSNL data plan (500?) which gave me 2GB data with night unlimited. this was good as I could schedule all my heavy downloads at night, but due to connectivity and other quality issues I moved to Airtel.

My current plan is gives me 4Mbps up to 75GB and post that limit its suppose to switch to 256Kbps. surprisingly I have never reached 75GB limit!! atleast one person in my family will be using the connection at any given moment of the day. Dad - youtube and other music related sites, bro - official work, youtube and other sites including downloading, me - youtube/videos , browsing(heavy), online gaming.

on a average only my PC uses between 1 to 2 GB on a single day,more on weekends. Laptop is used by others as well as there is another youtube streaming device which is used to watch movies on youtube.

when it comes to torrents I download about 2-3 GB of data per week.In total my data consumption will still be below 75GB. I pay about Rs. 1700 per month for the above service which I think is very reasonable.

So till TRAI redefines the definition of "Broadband" in India, the following should be considered

One needs to know the limit on how much bandwidth is required for a person low, medium, large, heavy. and based on the bandwidth and application requirement he should be able to chose a speed and a budget.

I really don't understand people wanting 2Mbps True unlimited for Rs. 500, this wont happen till TRAI raises the minimum speed limit for a service to be called as Broadband. if you require larger bandwidth then you need to pay more..

On other note, there are people with true bandwidth/speed requirements like youtubers, content producers and upcoming/independent film makers and artists,who may not be able to afford a faster internet connection but still require a larger bandwidth. For them internet is the only available channel to showcase their talent.

on a ending note.. let me quote again
Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need, but not every man's greed”

lets have a healthy discussion.

PS:do recommend if title change is required.

Here is a list of how much data can be downloaded on different connections.
*i.imgur.com/4jZMiVU.png
Source

Last edited:

Hrishi

I have 1Mbps Spectranet connection w/o any bandwidth limit*.Monthly rental is 800 Inr/month +100rs maintainance.
Last month usage was around 210Gb. Prior to that I had a 512kbps plan and used 94Gb.
THis month it has been around 83Gb for 17 days.

I don't find it over-priced compared to others ,because it doesn't have any FUP.

sharang.d

Youngling
One word answer to your title - No.
I have 512kbps and I still download 800GB+ in a month. Need cheaper net :|

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
what i want is faster internet at the same rates, it might not be unlimited but it should not have stupid limits like 20 GB and slow speeds like 512 kbps. if for 750 i get 2mbps with like a 50 gb FUP , after that 512 kbps. i would be ok.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
downloads. why do you even need physical files (what are the large legal files??) on your disk. games are the one and only excuse, and once downloaded, even they dont need that much bandwidth. upload bandwidth should be more than download bandwidth, because ideally you will be backing up more stuff than retrieving.
512 is much more than enough for most kinds of legal content.

Hrishi

One word answer to your title - No.
I have 512kbps and I still download 800GB+ in a month. Need cheaper net :|

Are you sure you mean 800GB+ with 512kbps/month ?

512/8=64KBps.

Now if it runs 24Hrs/dy. IT should be 64*3600*24/1000=5529MB approximtely.
At 5529MB/day you will be able to download only 30*5529/1000=165888MB , which is approximately 165.8GB per month.

My Laptops runs almost 24*7 alongwith my Desktop, but still Can't exceed more than 200GB+ per month on a 1.2Mbps Connection using Utorrent and IDM.

downloads. why do you even need physical files (what are the large legal files??) on your disk. games are the one and only excuse, and once downloaded, even they dont need that much bandwidth. upload bandwidth should be more than download bandwidth, because ideally you will be backing up more stuff than retrieving.

Downloading youtube videos is considered illegal , right, ?:cry:

I think we should only pay for what we use, not a penny more. Consider it like the way we use electricity.Just Pay for the number of units you have used.

Although this idea will perish the dreams of a heavy downloaders , but at the same time will reduce piracy(a little bit).

sharang.d

Youngling
Are you sure you mean 800GB+ with 512kbps/month ?

512/8=64KBps.

Now if it runs 24Hrs/dy. IT should be 64*3600*24/1000=5529MB approximtely.
At 5529MB/day you will be able to download only 30*5529/1000=165888MB , which is approximately 165.8GB per month.

My Laptops runs almost 24*7 alongwith my Desktop, but still Can't exceed more than 200GB+ per month on a 1.2Mbps Connection using Utorrent and IDM.

Thanks for pointing out my mistake bro.
Read one extra zero apparently. :p

Here:
*i.imgur.com/Pkqvm.png
It's 80GB+
Half of the time I pause torrents coz im on the net or else as you said I can hit 160GB max.

Anyway we have really slow speeds. I'm fed up of this :|

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member

Actually till yesterday night I was having full access to iTunes US store. I could rent/buy any movies/music from that store. I had been using the US Store for many years(but not actively). Yesterday I changed the country/billing details to India and boom.. I can no longer download from iTunes US store :(.. also there are no movies/music on Indian Store. looking for alternate providers in India. need to give bigflix a try.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Home user broadband is not good in India (1:8 or 1:10 ratio they provide)
but Dedicated Broadband is good (which we see only in corporate companies)

sharang.d

Youngling
Broadband ISPs like ACT and BEAM are what we need. If they are made available in all of India I think it will be sufficient for a year or 2.

Last edited:

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
To answer your original query : internet is not cheap in india.

There are many factors involved here .. people think that only the companies are looting them but there are much more factors at play.

1. Geographical boundaries of india
2. Development index
3. Cost of laying cables in metros
4. Less number of Offstation ports for data
5. Very badly managed routing for data systems
6. Very bad inter-ISP connectivity.
7. corruption :D

so when you add that up and think as a consumer that i should get what i pay for. i am sorry its just not possible. You can keep blaming the ISP's for pathetic service and low speeds and high costs. But to keep their company profitable they have to make such decisions.

yessterday only i was discussing about internet abroad. so apparently you can get a 60mbps line for 120US dollars a month. unlimited download. No caps.

And india for the same amount you will get at best a 4mbps from MTNL unlimited.

and apparently 2 x 20mbps lines from Beam tele with FUP

clmlbx

Technomancer

No at current trends at least 1Mbps is needed.. Even if you say legally then if you use youtube(720p) and also any cloud storage .. then you need good speeds

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Linux distros/packages, Steam updates, YouTube etc.

512 kbps being more than enough for legal content is a joke? Even while downloading 20 MB attachments a lot of time is wasted.

We need 2 mbps UL without FUP in less than Rs. 1000 now.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
in terms of speed...I'll say the more u get the better & the less u have to wait for download to end.

I just saw Beam providing 20mbps speed (wow)

rajnusker

Sage of the Six Paths
Internet prices are too high.. We need high speeds (atleast 10mbps with ridiculous FUP like 500GB) at 2-3k. Current best value for money is BSNL EVDO which gives 3.1mbps at rs750 with no FUP.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
I remember the day when I switched to a 512kbps connection from 2mbps. It was like the earth came to a stop :p

1mbps should be bare min, 2mbps preferably.

clmlbx

Technomancer
People in US usually have speeds above 100mbps on a connection for 200 - 300$ p.m.

In india :(

I guess even Indian ISP can provide that, obviously if they have infrastructure, 15K for 100Mbps speed with 50GB FUP lol

cheap broadband will be 1Mbps for 750 with no FUP or no less then 100-150 GB..

I will happily buy it..

if it's faster than Pakistan at the same price, then it's cheap.

why Pakistan? anyway Pakistan rupee value is lower then Indian rupee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom