Is cost of internet resonable in India?

Status
Not open for further replies.

funskar

Padawan
The fup provided by isps in india r crappy..
1k for 8-10gb fup upto 2mbps then 256kbps-512kbps..

512kbps is too low to b described as broadband nowadays...

Check the speed after fup on cdma data plans..
3.1mbps upto 8gb afterwards 113kbps for 949/tax xtra p/m.
1gb upto 3.1mbps for 449inr..

And lame fup data by airtel/sify/bsnl/mtnl..
Pakistan ,afghanistan still provide better speed than us..
These old budhas mantri doesn;t know abt 256kbps or 2mbps..
They only know 2-20crore..

As sibbal said 2mbps will b minmum broadband speed in 2015..[pak-afgn will have 20mbps as the min speed that time).

WHen will we see a guy under 35 or a digitian in Telecom department?

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
I used to have Airtel 1mbps @ 999/- (75GB). Best plan in current situation IMO.

PS: This plan is not available openly though.

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
BTW do you guys recall there was a limit/rule set by ISP on taking a home/business plan??? IIRC home plan were not suppose to be shared with multiple computers :lol:

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
@2-20mbps downlink speed Rs.10-15/- per 1GB downloaded data seems to be fair.
Its the amount of data which costs ISPs, not the speed.
That's why I can't understand why all the ISPs are not providing good speed in domestic connections when they have some very good business connection plans.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
IIRC home plan were not suppose to be shared with multiple computers :lol:

Well, you can, with the help of router & repeater(s).
About availing business plan, AFAIK, for Airtel, you need to have proofs of your business (don't know the details) and their min plan starts from 8K/month @10mbps. I won't post the amount of data available in any business plans as I'm not supposed to post the exact details of those plans over the internet.

Flash

Lost in speed
While others countries are going on in Mbps, we still use internet in Kbps. It will be reasonable only when we get better internet for current paying price.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
That's why I can't understand why all the ISPs are not providing good speed in domestic connections when they have some very good business connection plans.

bingo

rajnusker

Sage of the Six Paths

What? I can't pay 3000-4500 bucks every month on Internet! Rs 10 per GB is too much. Currently I pay Rs2 per GB already..

rajnusker

Sage of the Six Paths
So, you need 1500-2250 GB per month. :rolleyes:

BTW Which ISP/plan ?

Interesting calculation you got there. My usage = (3k~4.5k)/10 = 300GB - 450GB each month. ;)

Currently I am on BSNL EVDO Rs 750 Unlimited plan. I hardly download these days due to low hard drive space. But soon will take Alliance Broadband Rs 750 plan with day/night 560kbps/3mbps, and peering speed of 18-19mbps.

? I pay 2 per 1 mb

lulz

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
What? I can't pay 3000-4500 bucks every month on Internet! Rs 10 per GB is too much. Currently I pay Rs2 per GB already..

Don't mind anything please. But this kind of mindset or practice of users hurting ISPs a bit. The word "unlimited" have no meaning. Rs.2/- per 1GB?? Well, that can be considered as abuse unless your downloaded data comes from local peers (which is why Alience is famous)

Look at all those countries where Internet connection speed is good. None of them have got any 'Unlimited' plans, anywhere. Actually it can't be there.

Its like be satisfied with slow speed unlimited connection (which is very good for downloading movies etc etc) or have a reasonably limited high speed (I'm talking about minimum 5mbps here) which is very useful for everything. Those who use Skype for video calling, knows the usefulness of this type of plan. ;)

Again, Its the amount of data which costs ISPs, not the speed. So they have designed so called unlimited plans in such a way that they can make profit.

Another reason behind low internet speed in India: India have very less amount of international bandwidth and even among that bandwidth, >80% is preserved for Govt. purposes, which are virtually wasted. For more info? Google. ;)

souvikroy1111

Broken In
Internet prices are too high.. We need high speeds (atleast 10mbps with ridiculous FUP like 500GB) at 2-3k. Current best value for money is BSNL EVDO which gives 3.1mbps at rs750 with no FUP.
dude it sucks like anything
Morning till 9am i get 50-70kb/s download in idm and the whole day upto 9pm i get max 20-30, and then it starts increasing a bit
i will change to photon+ even if there is a limit as it gives mind boggling speeds
I live in the main area of the city so connectivity is not a problem

rajnusker

Sage of the Six Paths
Don't mind anything please. But this kind of mindset or practice of users hurting ISPs a bit. The word "unlimited" have no meaning. Rs.2/- per 1GB?? Well, that can be considered as abuse unless your downloaded data comes from local peers (which is why Alience is famous)

Look at all those countries where Internet connection speed is good. None of them have got any 'Unlimited' plans, anywhere. Actually it can't be there.

Its like be satisfied with slow speed unlimited connection (which is very good for downloading movies etc etc) or have a reasonably limited high speed (I'm talking about minimum 5mbps here) which is very useful for everything. Those who use Skype for video calling, knows the usefulness of this type of plan. ;)

Again, Its the amount of data which costs ISPs, not the speed. So they have designed so called unlimited plans in such a way that they can make profit.

Another reason behind low internet speed in India: India have very less amount of international bandwidth and even among that bandwidth, >80% is preserved for Govt. purposes, which are virtually wasted. For more info? Google. ;)

Yes, its true I reach 350GB through peering. When I used to use BSNL EVDO I used to cross 100GB mark, but with Alliance 100GB is a joke.

dude it sucks like anything
Morning till 9am i get 50-70kb/s download in idm and the whole day upto 9pm i get max 20-30, and then it starts increasing a bit
i will change to photon+ even if there is a limit as it gives mind boggling speeds
I live in the main area of the city so connectivity is not a problem

Do you have the 2.4mbps one or the 3.1mbps one? I won't be shocked if you aren't using any trick to speed it up. I have used EVDO for almost 2 years. At first I used to get 20-50kB/s, but I googled day and night searching for tricks to boost the speed. I tried many tricks like using usb extender, placing it beside window, making copper antennae, placing cd near it, covering it with alluminium foil, placing it in metal bowl, using 1 rupee coin etc. Using these combinations finally I reached 100-150kB/s constant, and sometimes during night 220kB/s speeds :) You need to research a lot about tricks, only through patience can you achieve high speed.

Last edited:

maxtor

Journeyman
Internet speed will never be enough. Prices in India for not just internet but for everything is on the rise. So no cost is not reasonable. But point is it is only going to go up. No price comes down and never of something that is used in technology.

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Internet speed will never be enough. Prices in India for not just internet but for everything is on the rise. So no cost is not reasonable. But point is it is only going to go up. No price comes down and never of something that is used in technology.

but I feel that Internet cost would the the only thing which might come down :p, but it would take some time.

or it would stay the same except the amount of data available would go up..

just like every year (or couple of years) the computer technology makes progress but the component cost of the new hardware would remain the same. many years ago we used to get a mid range PC for 35-40K even today we get the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom