Ipod vs. Zune... Which One Do You Prefer??

So Wats ur Choice?

• Zune

Votes: 27 35.1%
  • Ipod

Votes: 30 39.0%
  • Others

Votes: 10 13.0%
  • I don't like these players

Votes: 10 13.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

sandy453

Right off the assembly line
Its iPod all the way .Why ?
1.> becos it looks like a mp3 player.
2.>The audio quality is too good.
3.> apple products have always stood for quality.I buy a Zune player tommorow , I may end up getting a message .The system has encountered a exception for unknown reason message do you want to send the error report :) .
4.> battery life .

I just ask the apple guy about the sound quality of the ipod ,he just plugged then into bose speakers and played a song at full volume. I bought it no questions asked.
What matters most in a mp3 player is its quality ?.I dont know abt Zune audio quality but I feel that it however good it may be , it cant beat iPod.

As far as video is concerned ,I feel this segment has not matured enough.The main problem is battery life. I mean 3 hrs of battery life is not enough for a video player and also the screen is too small .It doesnt give
you a feeling you watching a video .

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
gxsaurav said:

Get your facts right & read various other threads in this forum first

in 5 years, Apple has released OS X updates, different updates to same product, but MS has released, many completely different operating systems

XP Pro
XP Home
XP MCE
XP MCE 2005
XP Tablet PC
XP tablet PC 2005
Windows Mobile 2003
Windows Mobile 2005
Windows Server 2003
Windows Server 2003 R2
Windows Server datacenter edition

so better count again, & keep this discussion to iPod vs. zune only

Did you ever go to school?

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
ok lets set the record straight all those bragging abt the sound quality of the ipod being the best ..... hav u heard the zune .... coz i hav not so i wont make the dumb mistake of crowning the ipod the best without listening to the zune .... ipod sounds gr8 no doubt but theres no reason watso ever that the zune cant sound the same .....

and secondly i wanted to ,make sure whether i get it right the ipd was bought by you coz:

it sounds gr8
it has no themes
it has no fm
looks awsome

1 and 4th reason i will buy them coz i went for the pod also for tht reason besides the brand value .... but the second and third reason kuch hazam nahi hue yaar

battery life of zune and ipod is the same .....
i think there is a sense of deja vu here ... even if the zune doesnt do as well as its expected i wud compare it to the xbox tht was released a few yrs ago which was crap but then look at the 360 today its doing pretty well im not saying tht its better than the ps3 or something but its doing very good and its actually a good product and i dont need to show u the first gen ipods which lets be honest werent as sexy as the current 1s so no reason saying tht zune cant upgrade its lok its looks pathetic now and God knows y the brown

For example, take Sansa Sandisk e250R. It's better than ipod nano in all aspects (except audio quality). So, it's now the second best selling flash based mp3 player.
.... hummm so in other words u mean to say tht the nano is competing with sansa so no competition with zune here as far as the shuffle for the lower budget so no comparison with zune either were left with the 249$ gen 5 ipod thts the product tht MS is targetting now and with time it will make its presence felt

Last edited:

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
mail2and said:
Did you ever go to school?
Since it would be way too off-topic if I replied to gxsaurav's comment here, and because this is obviously an 'Apple vs. Microsoft' comment, I have posted a reply here.
gxsaurav, please don't read the reply if you don't like to be owned! :D
"The interesting thing about the iPod, is that since it started, it had 100 percent of Steve Jobs' time," said Knauss. "Not many projects get that. He was heavily involved in every single aspect of the project."

At the beginning of the project, Jobs held meetings about the iPod every two to three weeks, but when the first iPod prototypes were built, Jobs became involved daily.

"They'd have meetings and Steve would be horribly offended he couldn't get to the song he wanted in less than three pushes of a button," Knauss said. "We'd get orders: 'Steve doesn't think it's loud enough, the sharps aren't sharp enough, or the menu's not coming up fast enough.' Every day there were comments from Steve saying where it needed to be."

Knauss said Jobs' influence was sometimes idiosyncratic. For example, the iPod is louder than most MP3 players because Jobs is partly deaf, he said. "They drove the sound up so he could hear it," Knauss said.
By Leander Kahney

mAV3, do you still stand by your statement: 'plz man next time dont give the crap tht themes are secondary and steve doesnt concentrate on them .... its just tht it didnt cross his mind'!
First, you say that iTunes for Windows is not intended to be a music player and then this! You either have a brilliant sense of humour or you need some classes for developing common sense! 8)
And the next time when ipods come with the theme support and other stuff like radio(which i hope they do), all the apple fans will cheer with joy and praise the greatness of the mighty apple . Until then all this stuff is bullcrap and is for loosers.
come on !!!
Yeah, you are right. When Apple offers support for themes on the iPod, fans of the company will be totally thrilled by the move and will flame all MP3 players that do not support themes. The Apple community does have such a negetive tendency.
However, *I don't think* that the iPod will ever support themes. Because Windows has had a themeable interface since Windows 98 and the support for themes is very appreciated by most Windows users, but Macintosh still does not support themes. So why would they include support for themes on the iPod? Besides, the support for themes slows down any software (look at Windows and Symbian).

Last edited:
K

krazyfrog

mAV3 said:
i think there is a sense of deja vu here ... even if the zune doesnt do as well as its expected i wud compare it to the xbox tht was released a few yrs ago which was crap but then look at the 360 today its doing pretty well im not saying tht its better than the ps3 or something but its doing very good and its actually a good product and i dont need to show u the first gen ipods which lets be honest werent as sexy as the current 1s so no reason saying tht zune cant upgrade its lok its looks pathetic now and God knows y the brown
I don't quiet agree with you mate. There is no point saying that because Zune is new you can't compare it with iPod and that the earlier iPod's weren't that great. Back then things were different when the first iPod was launched. Now things have changed. Microsoft hasn't launched the Zune to compare it with the earlier generation iPod's but with the current generation iPod. So the Zune better be good and there would be no place for lame excuses like just because its new its not very good and that it'll improve with time. Just because its new doesn't give it an excuse to be bad since it will be up against a formidable foe.
And as for Microsoft, it seems they haven't learnt anything from their xbox. Again with the zune, they seem to have done the same thing. They manage to get some parts together, put a flashy name on it and then market it like anything. All this in a feeble attempt to get some market share from their competitors. Then they start ground work on a 'new and improved' version of the product. Why don't they just make some thing good in the first place that is worthy of challenging their competitors? Everyone saw what happened to xbox. The so called ps2 killer couldn't kill anything. Same will happen with zune, all thanks to Microsoft. Actually the zune and iPod story isn't too different from the XBOX and PlayStation story.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
@arya

pehle comment ko samjho badmein chado i said 'plz man next time dont give the crap tht themes are secondary and steve doesnt concentrate on them .... its just tht it didnt cross his mind' the comment of not crossing his mind was a tp comment however wat i meant was with regards to theme not other feaures ..... i never said tht steve jobs did not do nething or hardly played a part in the pods making .... sounds great menus come fast (but i sill feel a lag in menus while playback) songs in 3 clicks good wrk par mein themes ki baat kar raha tha if uread my post correcly... some1 said jobs' considers themes secondary tht is wat iwas reffering to .... themes, themes ... songs ya menu speed ya sound nahi themes

@krazy all im saying is tht 1 learns with time and things evolve im not comparing the zune with earlier products imsaying tht as compared to the 2day pods the earlier were not so good looking so unever know the next zune might be better in terms of looks
*manan.catch-free.com/images/apple.PNG

read the last line ..... seems like my lack of common sense has been compensated by some tech know-how again i re-itterate i was referring to the windows based ipods nad yes thr is difference in os of the the 2 pods u cannot connect the same pod to a mac and windows os wthout formatting ( i read it somewhere)

Last edited:

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
You mentioned that it did not cross his mind. So I just showed you how much he was involved with the project and how he made sure that the minutest details were perfected. If he was so committed to the iPod's development, I don't think it's possible that something would not have 'crossed his mind' in the six years of the iPod's existence (counting the period of initial development).

As for iTunes, I do have points to make and I still think that your statement about one of the best audio players on the Windows platform not being good at what it does, is a very ridiculous one but commenting on it here would be too off-topic. Therefore, I am giving that debate a rest.

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
i just got one Question...

Is Zune really a product from Microsoft :confused:

=>Zune is incompatible with Windows Media Player, the familiar hub of the Windows desktop media experience.

=>It's incompatible with Microsoft's own PlaysForSure standard, too.
=>Even if the track is inherently free (like a podcast) the Zune wraps it in a DRM scheme that causes the track to self-destruct after three days or three plays, whichever comes first.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
s18000rpm said:
Zune wraps it in a DRM scheme that causes the track to self-destruct after three days or three plays, whichever comes first.
I dont know about the rest but that 3-3 feature is sure MS implemented :D

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
s18000rpm said:
i just got one Question...

=>Even if the track is inherently free (like a podcast) the Zune wraps it in a DRM scheme that causes the track to self-destruct after three days or three plays, whichever comes first.

This is a big misconception. If u read the old pages of this thread it has already been clarified that the zune 3-3 drm is ''only applicable to the content downloaded from zune marketplace''. It doesn't apply to the drm free stuff. So i think its a great feature to be able to share drm songs with your friends so they cant try before buying.

krazyfrog said:
And as for Microsoft, it seems they haven't learnt anything from their xbox.

and this is supposed to be a joke right?
FYI xbox360 is the result of what MS learnt from xbox , and 360 has given serious kick on Sony's butt this time endangering its top position. And search for latest comparisons between the consoles on many sites, all suggest the 360 as a better gaming machine.

krazyfrog said:
Everyone saw what happened to xbox. The so called ps2 killer couldn't kill anything. Same will happen with zune, all thanks to Microsoft. Actually the zune and iPod story isn't too different from the XBOX and PlayStation story
So if you think the zune v/s ipod story is not too different from xbox and ps2 story , then i should fear for the future ipod players(according to u).

K

krazyfrog

tarey_g said:
and this is supposed to be a joke right?
FYI xbox360 is the result of what MS learnt from xbox , and 360 has given serious kick on Sony's butt this time endangering its top position. And search for latest comparisons between the consoles on many sites, all suggest the 360 as a better gaming machine.
Xbox 360 giving a serious kick on sony's butt, now thats what i call a joke (btw just post it in the jokes thread in chit-chat, you'll get good response). 360 has been in the market for nearly a year and its sales can be summed up in one word: abysmal. And just look at the number of people outside sony shops on the day ps3 was launched (and even today). Notice the difference? PS3 hasn't been in the market for even a month and you're already worried about its future? The only thing that ps3 lacks and 360 has, is good games. But thats not surprising since the 360 has been in the market for nearly a year. Let a year pass and let ps3 get some games worthy of the console. Then we'll see who kicks whose butt.

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
krazyfrog said:
Xbox 360 giving a serious kick on Sony's butt, now thats what i call a joke (btw just post it in the jokes thread in chit-chat, you'll get good response). 360 has been in the market for nearly a year and its sales can be summed up in one word: abysmal. And just look at the number of people outside Sony shops on the day ps3 was launched (and even today). Notice the difference? PS3 hasn't been in the market for even a month and you're already worried about its future? The only thing that ps3 lacks and 360 has, is good games. But thats not surprising since the 360 has been in the market for nearly a year. Let a year pass and let ps3 get some games worthy of the console. Then we'll see who kicks whose butt.

As of September 30, 2006, more than 6 million xbox 360 consoles have been sold, abysmal ? i dont think so.

The Ps3 sold off like hot cakes because of the great track record of PS2. Ppl were lined up for ps3 as they do for every console. Even the market was lacking xbox360's at the launch and MS was not able to keep up with high demands , also the number of ps3 released was very few.
But as i said if u go and chk the gaming sites , most of them have hardware comparison since ps3 launched and they have rated xbox 360 better gaming console. Also according to developers 360 is easy to code for thats why they are increasingly getting good games. Another thing , the ps3 has serious frame issues with COD3 whereas 360 on the same game is doing its job very well, same is the case with tony hawk pro skater.

I am a big Sony fan and i wish they succeed, but i am not blinded by the fanboyism to buy one when i have a better choice with me. Truth is Sony has lost many potential buyers and they have lost their dominance over the console market, in this generation they may score better than the 360 , but even if this happens the margin wud be not much. Even being second in the race xbox360 will be the winner.

krazyfrog said:
Let a year pass and let ps3 get some games worthy of the console. Then we'll see who kicks whose butt.
So u have patience to see how Sony scores after a year passes, but u dont have same patience for zune which just got out against ipod. great!

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
tarey_g said:
but i am not blinded by the fanboyism to buy one when i have a better choice with me
a sensible customer something iv been telling a lot of ppl abt but they just dont seem to agree the moment u say something negative abt play station or apple or good abt MS katne ko daudte hain
tarey_g said:
So u have patience to see how Sony scores after a year passes, but u dont have same patience for zune which just got out against ipod. great!
thats ass kicking man .... good 1 :D

K

krazyfrog

Ok i agree i got silly and posted something $hit in reply. But i really kinda get mad when someone goes against PlayStation or against Sony in general. Being a ps2 owner and a bigtime sony fan, i just don't seem to understand why the ps3 is having problems with its current games and why is it having such a hard time beating the 360 which is actually inferior to it when it comes to hardware. I really wish to see ps3 succeed and crush 360.
Anyway coming back to the topic, i still think zune cannot and will not defeat iPod. Even the critically acclaimed Creative Zen Vision:M which actually wins over the iPod in many aspects failed to win over the customer. Then what chance does Zune has? Admit it people, even if a product comes that beats the iPod in every aspect will still fail to win over the customer. Call it fanboyism or anything else, thats the truth.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
There is one all prevailing reason that is not changing anytime soon:

Apple is cool and the others are not. Simple.

gsoul2soul

WOW... are you?
Well my concern is !!! The life of Battery and how many years will it last?
:( till now nobody's helped me in this!!!

My fren send me this Ipod 4 Gb Nano (blue / 2nd gen)... everything is okay, I'm just windering... since it has no openings (how can you change the battery if it someday dies on you... is it even possible?)

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
aryayush said:
There is one all prevailing reason that is not changing anytime soon:

Apple is cool and the others are not. Simple.
a very subjective opinion which evry1 is entitled to hav .... and i too feel tht my ipod looks cool however i wud hav loved to hav themes on my ipod without having to play with it and also tht the zune upgrades its look

My fren send me this Ipod 4 Gb Nano (blue / 2nd gen)... everything is okay, I'm just windering... since it has no openings (how can you change the battery if it someday dies on you... is it even possible?)
apple will change it for u .... hcl india has a pact with apple for selling their products here (thts wat i heard last)

chk it out here: *www.apple.com/support/ipod/service/battery/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom