Interstellar (2014) Movie Discussion *Spoilers Ahead*

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I can see the relation:
Chris directed Momento.
Gajini is "inspired" from Momento.

Looks like Google's algorithm messed up.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
^good, better to watch movies you like in theater as many times because that opportunity won't come again ever
especially Nolan films

did that with Guardians, though not so many times

tkin

Back to school!!
^good, better to watch movies you like in theater as many times because that opportunity won't come again ever
especially Nolan films

did that with Guardians, though not so many times
Yeah, the feeling is awesome. My cousin has a huge tv, something like 90" or more, with some massive soundsystem, with sofas it looks like a movie hall. But something is just not there. The feeling of that massive screen, soundsystem that shakes the seats, the enthusiastic crowd that gasps at the shocking scenes, cries at the sad scenes, claps after a triumph, its just not there. All of these happened with interstellar. Its one of a very few times I'd seen the crowd clapping in the hall(TDKR, Avengers were a few).

And interstellar is a movie to be watched in the cinemas. Its 2d only, means no claustrophobic feeling or the pressure of the glasses cutting down on your nose and giving you a headache. Also the picture looks crisp and bright unlike 3d movies. You are not forced to concentrate on the foreground only. Its one of the reasons I don't like 3d movies much.

Nolan completely utilized the benefits of 2d shots. Panoramic shots, pov shots of the spaceship etc.

I am hooked to it. I don't think I'll get another chance to see such a grand space opera in the movies soon. With all movies turning into action packed 2 hr joyrides these kind of movies will become rarer and rarer. I didn't bother seeing avengers more than once(I loved the movie though), I knew Avengers 2, 3, 4 will come. I'll get another chance to see their world and appreciate them then. But Interstellar will not get a sequel, there might not be another movie like this for a very long time(Spielbarg, I'm counting on you).

For record I'm no Nolan crazy fan as such, I watched tdkr and inception twice, like avatar and hobbit.

Hrishi

Yeah, the feeling is awesome. My cousin has a huge tv, something like 90" or more, with some massive soundsystem, with sofas it looks like a movie hall. But something is just not there. The feeling of that massive screen, soundsystem that shakes the seats, the enthusiastic crowd that gasps at the shocking scenes, cries at the sad scenes, claps after a triumph, its just not there. All of these happened with interstellar. Its one of a very few times I'd seen the crowd clapping in the hall(TDKR, Avengers were a few).

And interstellar is a movie to be watched in the cinemas. Its 2d only, means no claustrophobic feeling or the pressure of the glasses cutting down on your nose and giving you a headache. Also the picture looks crisp and bright unlike 3d movies. You are not forced to concentrate on the foreground only. Its one of the reasons I don't like 3d movies much.

Nolan completely utilized the benefits of 2d shots. Panoramic shots, pov shots of the spaceship etc.

I am hooked to it. I don't think I'll get another chance to see such a grand space opera in the movies soon. With all movies turning into action packed 2 hr joyrides these kind of movies will become rarer and rarer. I didn't bother seeing avengers more than once(I loved the movie though), I knew Avengers 2, 3, 4 will come. I'll get another chance to see their world and appreciate them then. But Interstellar will not get a sequel, there might not be another movie like this for a very long time(Spielbarg, I'm counting on you).

For record I'm no Nolan crazy fan as such, I watched tdkr and inception twice, like avatar and hobbit.
This.... . Sums it up.
Nice summing up bro.
I never watch movies in Theaters. But this once I had to anyhow.

icebags

Technomancer
i want to go see interstellar one more time in imax. but stupid they did not put any show in the morning so far. :-x

lywyre

Cyborg Agent
There are two IMAX screens in Chennai, both awaiting Govt approval for price limit for more than a year :-x

Hoping that whenever the screens are approved, they screen Interstellar. Will certainly watch again.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
"Only 2D" is another reason for which I greatly appreciate Nolan.
A big thanks to Nolan, for remaining away from gimmicks. This is such a big factor that I can give excuse to him for not imparting more visually stunning VFX. Since if those were included, I guess this movie "could" have been done in 3D.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
reading the book
the production process is fascinating, seems like everyone involved, including the actors had a thorough understanding of the physics, but it was Nolan who went and made it speculative for commercial reasons. which is forgivable because the movie is cinematically thrilling.

Anyway, TARS does not get equations from the naked singularity, TARS sends back the laws of quantum gravity

tkin

Back to school!!
reading the book
the production process is fascinating, seems like everyone involved, including the actors had a thorough understanding of the physics, but it was Nolan who went and made it speculative for commercial reasons. which is forgivable because the movie is cinematically thrilling.

Anyway, TARS does not get equations from the naked singularity, TARS sends back the laws of quantum gravity
Not laws exactly, rather constants.

Inceptionist

Journeyman
reading the book

What book? Amazon/Flipkart link?

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
On Friday I watched Interstellar again in theater. Though it cost me a bomb (no Rs 50 shows where I live, sadly) but now I have much greater clarity of the movie.

I noticed lot of things which I failed to notice previously. Like:

1. The dialogue by Donald (Cooper's dad) which was a commentary on today's society, and which many failed to notice probably. He said,
When I was a kid, it felt like they made something new everyday. Some gadget or idea. Like every day was Christmas.
But 6, billion people, Just try to imagine that. And every last one of them trying to have it all.
This world isn't so bad.

This is exactly what is happening today. Every day some new invention, some new discovery. And everyone of us is trying to have it all. If money had no concern, we would perhaps be submerged under every gadget invented even if we didn't have time to use them all.

2. Context of India:
It was discussed previously in this thread if the mention of the drone was said belonging to "Indian Air Force" were in bad light or good. Now I can safely say it was in good context. When Cooper was having a discussion with college authorities he said, "No actually sir, that's a, that's a surveillance drone. With outstanding solar cells. It's Indian". And while he was saying that his eyes were shining with gleam. It said it all. During his time "Indian" things were known to be "good". Just like for eg, we say for a good watch, "Its Swiss".

3. Humor cue light:
When TARS mentioned he had a humor cue light that it can use to show if he was kidding. And then he said, "Yeah you could use it to find your way back into the ship after I blow you out the air lock". After that he actually used that cue light to show he was kidding. :D Failed to notice the cue light in first watch.

4. Cooper pushing books while stuck in Singularity:
Someone mentioned on this thread that when Cooper was in the tesseract he didn't have any knowledge on which book he was about to push to let it fall on ground from bookshelf since he couldn't see the titles of them. But he didn't need to. It was clearly shown that he needed to spell out Morse code. To signal a morse code he didn't need to drop book by the book initials, rather just push them in formats of dots and dash.

I also understood how Miller on that water planet died. From Miller's perspective he just reached to the planet. But since one hour of Miller's planet is equal to little more than 7 years of Earth, hence on earth it appeared that Miller was alive on the water planet and signalling beacon for so many years, but ACTUALLY MILLER DIED IN JUST A MATTER OF AN HOUR! Wow! It gives me shivers just thinking about it now.

I think it was worth watching Interstellar again.

Top Bottom