Interstellar (2014) Movie Discussion *Spoilers Ahead*

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
There are a number of smaller black holes orbitting gargantua. Coop chooses one of these for a slingshot maneuver to Miller's planet, the slowing down is done by a Neutron Star, which was originally supposed to be another black hole. Nolan left all this out of the movie as it could have gotten too confusing, and Nolan wanted just one wormhole, one black hole, and one neutron star in the movie.

Also the visualization of gargantua is a slower version of a supermassive spinning black hole, because showing the real speed would make it too sparkly.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
"Too confusing"? lol. That would have been more awesome. A brainf**k movie. :D

Anyway, still researching on Interstellar?

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Yeah, Nolan seems to have messed up in the balancing act, in between keeping it a science based movie and something that could be digested by a mass audience. The end result does not please either party. For the kind of movie it is, it would have been better to actually let Cooper select his trajectory from the number of smaller black holes orbiting gargantua. This would have resulted in a spectacular sequence, where you see one black hole lensing another one behind it. It would have been better to show the gargantua at full speed. When Brand says a black hole environment is not great for evolution because it sucks up everything, comets and meteors, not allowing for events to happen, that is all nonsense, and Nolan knew it. It's still in the movie, and not refuted, giving people who don't bother to find out the wrong idea. More such events are likely to happen around a black hole, and this is explained by saying oh, Brand did not know what she is talking about. The storytelling came first, the scientist's job was to back up the story, instead of putting the science first and writing the story around it.

That's just the way Nolan makes movies. For example for Inception, he ditched research and went for his own feelings, because he felt that "research" means that you just confirm the things that you already believe in. This is not an approach that works for a hard sci fi movie, without making some heavy compromises. Yes,it was good, but maybe this movie would have been better in the hands of another director. Pretty sure Robert Zemeckis or Alfonso Cuaron would have handled this movie better.

Im not hating here, The Prestige remains one of the movies I most enjoy watching again and again.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Robert Zemeckis! Aah.. you just quoted a director of my favorite film, BTTF! As a director, writer and producer of movies like BTTF and Contact, yes I think he could have done a very good job here.

This also reminds me about The Walk. The trailer is Epic already.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
"Predestination" is the movie that Nolan should have directed. Its not that 'Predestination' is bad without his touch, but it could have been "his" movie this year.

"Intersteller" is a pre-mature baby!

Top Bottom