I can has Nokia N79

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
Which key is the pencil key in Nokia N79?

It's the # key which is used for copy-pasting stuff.
Also nice theme gx, keep it simple & it shouldn't have any problems.

BTW do have a look at www.mahunyal.com & my site, you will get a lot of themes for your s60 v3 phone.

Also here is an article from my blog which I recommend you to have a look at.

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Yesterday night I downloaded an episode of House M.D over WiFi in my mobile phone using Symtorrent. It is better to download in mobile phone as it uses fraction of electricity compared to downloading in a PC.

I was having one problem last night. I was listening to some songs using the Music Player & browsing in Opera Mini over WiFi but the song was stopping again & again for no reason. I checked & I had 48 MB RAM Free.

Last edited:

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
Yesterday night I downloaded an episode of House M.D over WiFi in my mobile phone using Symtorrent. It is better to download in mobile phone as it uses fraction of electricity compared to downloading in a PC.

I was having one problem last night. I was listening to some songs using the Music Player & browsing in Opera Mini over WiFi but the song was stopping again & again for no reason. I checked & I had 48 MB RAM Free.

SymTorrent sure helps in keeping the electricity bills low :D

About the song stopping problem, do they stop in other players too?

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
I have not tried any other Music Player yet, but the problem hasn't returned after I rebooted my phone that night.

By the way, those using A Symbisn OS 9.3 Series 60 3.2 UI (FP2) should have a look at Touch Series by larsson. I am no longer using Pizero's PureBlack theme as there are more touch icons in a better shade of blue in Larsson's theme. I am although waiting for black & gray theme with Touch Icons & have requested for it.

Last edited:

fastraj

Broken In
babi themes r good too...am using the darkness theme currently.....also which screenguard is good for n79? cause the default one got scratched pretty fast.

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
I m using a Silicon Screen cover for Rs 300. Its soft due to which it contracts on contact with fingernail or other solid object absorbing shock & there is no scratch

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Nah, don't want to ruin the look of my whole phone so just purchased a Silicon Screen protector

fastraj

Broken In
i got the screen guard but the guy didnt place it properly....so had to take it out and place it again....around 7 times...damn the dust!

one major problem....when i try to connect my n79 to the available wifi...it searches & gets connected but i cant browse...says no gateway reply!! can u guys help me with the settings...also am planning to buy a wifi router , which one should i go for ...cause will only be using my n79 for browsing. while configuring the wifi router do u need a pc or can it be done using n79?

Last edited:
OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
i got the screen guard but the guy didnt place it properly....so had to take it out and place it again....around 7 times...damn the dust!

Is it the Silicon Screen Guard? How much did it cost?

m planning to buy a wifi router , which one should i go for ...cause will only be using my n79 for browsing. while configuring the wifi router do u need a pc or can it be done using n79?
You should tell your ISP to get you a WiFi based DSL Modem which is also a router in itself. This way you can get it from BSNL or Airtel for Rs 1k & if it malfunctions then they will change it for you. This is the best way I would say.

I am also using a WiFi DSL Modem provided with BSNL.

*i39.tinypic.com/2uszqlx.jpg

Today I used a HTC Touch Diamond phone of my Jijaji for 3 hrs & I have to say, my Nokia N79 sucks when it comes to the UI & UX of TouchFLO 3D UI. I regret buying a non-touch phone today. Although its camera was strictly good but good enough in day light conditions & Video recording is limited to CIF at 30 FPS, but if we leave this Video & Camera then as a phone it is just awesome. I wish my N79 had a full touch screen :(.

I was able to use Opera Mobile 9.5 beta & quite frankly, I will never like to browse Full Internet on a non-touch phone. Despite of being Mobile browser the Webkit in my N79 is no where close to Opera Mobile 9.5. Although the experience of browsing on a touch screen device is much better, Opera Mobile 9.5's speed & features are something I m dying to have on my N79.

Opera Mobile 9.5 has a mini map feature like Opera Mini, infact there are many features which r also there in Opera Mini. Seriously, Opera mini is good for mobile browsing but after using Opera Mobile, i m in love with it.

By the way, what is the SMS memory of Symbian Phones? I usually delete the Sent items folder but today I found one application from Nokia called Conversation which is like that of iPhone's threaded SMS but it needs SMS in the inbox as well as Sen item folder. I incresed the Sent item SMS limit from 100 to 1000 & set it to save SMS in memory card but what is the SMS limit of inbox. Like in case of K750i, it was 200 SMS

Last edited:

girish.g

respect mah authoritah!!
i dont think there is an sms limit, i have over 300 messages in my inbox. i think it depends on the free space.

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
It was set at 100 but I increased it to 1000. I can increase it further too.

There is no limit at the number of contacts in Symbian OS, So I guess there won't be a limit in SMS either.

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
There is no limit to messages in S60. It is only limited by the free memory the phone has. And since each SMS takes only a few bytes the number of messages can be almost infinite.

sujoyp

Grand Master
It was set at 100 but I increased it to 1000. I can increase it further too.

There is no limit at the number of contacts in Symbian OS, So I guess there won't be a limit in SMS either.

1000:p....I once had 2000+ sms in my N70:D.....no limit at all...just maintain folders as per ur requirement

hellgate

At Hell's Disq
Today I used a HTC Touch Diamond phone of my Jijaji for 3 hrs & I have to say, my Nokia N79 sucks when it comes to the UI & UX of TouchFLO 3D UI. I regret buying a non-touch phone today. Although its camera was strictly good but good enough in day light conditions & Video recording is limited to CIF at 30 FPS, but if we leave this Video & Camera then as a phone it is just awesome. I wish my N79 had a full touch screen :(.

completely agree with u on this 1.i just luv the fone.its even better than my prev 5800XM.the only things that i miss r the full screen qwerty keyboard,loudspkrs & 3.2" display.other than these the Diamond just rox in every other department.
havent tried the ported WM6.5 rom cuz there a few issues with it as of now but xpect it to be fully ported (& bug free) by mid-end Feb.heard that its damn fast.

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
1000:p....I once had 2000+ sms in my N70:D.....no limit at all...just maintain folders as per ur requirement

I tried understand the Symbian method of Message. In real life we get Messages from many places in our home's mailbox. We then look into our inbox & take read all the mails. After which we transfer the mail to the corresponding folder in our home.

Same thing happens in Symbian's case. Messages come in Inbox where we read them & after reading we can transfer them to a folder named after something. Like made Folders based on the name of contact in my phone. Now new SMS come in the inbox which I read & then transfer to my Contact's Message Folder.

Nokia Conversation kicks in here. Do not clean your sent items folder & open Nokia conversation application. Now you will see all the messages from all the contacts as threaded messages sorted by the contact name. This is quite a new & nice method. I can see what I have been talking to a particular contact in the past.

I am slowly getting familier with the concept of Albums instead of Folders to sort images in my mobile phone as well as Windows, might as well leave ACDSee after a long time in favor of Adobe Lightroom. Albums are actually better then tags. You can either see all photos or an album of a particular person or event. One pic can be part of an event album as well as a person's name based Album too.

The galary view in N79 shows pictures & videos. Adobe Lightroom & ACDSee do not show videos (not that nicely) but Windows Picture & Photo gallery is actually good in this regard. You can have an album with the name "New year party" with all the images & videos taken on that day in that album. Album like feature is there in ACDSee too but not as good as Lightroom or iPhoto.

completely agree with u on this 1.i just luv the fone.its even better than my prev 5800XM.the only things that i miss r the full screen qwerty keyboard,loudspkrs & 3.2" display.other than these the Diamond just rox in every other department.
havent tried the ported WM6.5 rom cuz there a few issues with it as of now but xpect it to be fully ported (& bug free) by mid-end Feb.heard that its damn fast.
The reason I didn't go with HTC touch Diamond

1) 3.2 MP Camera
2) 25K price tag, this isn't justified
3) I know what is coming with Windows Mobile 7 :D & that Microsoft or HTC won't provide legal upgrade path for Touch diamond to be upgraded to Windows Mobile 7, so didn't buy it as WinMo 7 is much better then WinMo 6.1.
4) I am scared of hacking my hardware. If it malfunctions, I am screwed...
5) Typing on a Touchscreen is toucher for me compared to a keypad. I just don't like it.

The N79 I got is something I will keep for the next 3 years before even thinking of upgrading it unless I get a big ammout of money to waste from somewhere before that. :D. I do like Nokia N97 just that it is heavy, is very costly & comes with both keyboard & touchscreen. The best touchscreen phone I would like to buy anyday is something like Nokia N85, it has a big screen which can be made touch friendly & when I need to type something I can either use the on screen keyboard or the normal keyboard.

pickster

Professional Layabout.
The best touchscreen phone I would like to buy anyday is something like Nokia N85, it has a big screen which can be made touch friendly & when I need to type something I can either use the on screen keyboard or the normal keyboard.

or maybe the Palm Pre.
I would absolutely love to get a Palm Pre. its interface and UI even owns the iPhone.
It has a super-responsive touch screen, gesture area and even a keypad (albeit not that nice.. but heck.. it still has one)

*the-gadgeteer.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/palm-pre.jpg

fastraj

Broken In
hey guys , yesterday i tried to connect to public wifi hotspots , i would get connected to it but cannot browse the net...would get an error message
'no gateway reply'.....whats the solution guys?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom