Hardware that you should NOT buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
was typing at different place and thought that I finished here and forgot to post- did not observe that I did not finish the statement:oops:

once i posted a totally different comment on your post. something about K-lite Codec pack or something. you got confused. in such a big forum, this is common :smile:

outspoken

Broken In
Don't buy the Pen drives that are 'retractable' i.e. the drive socket slides in and out. I have trouble pushing in the pendrive after it had become loose.
Basically don't buy pendrives that have movable parts.
[E.g. Kingston Datatraveller 100, 120 etc. ]

Anish

Spectre
Lg supermulti DVD burning drives also cant read dual layer dvd and burn dvd after 13 months (12 months warranty) It can only be used as a cd burner

toad_frog09

Swimming, eh??
Lg supermulti DVD burning drives also cant read dual layer dvd and burn dvd after 13 months (12 months warranty) It can only be used as a cd burner

i have got one lg optical dvd writer drive (model no-unknown) 2 years ago & it is still working fine.
By 'fine' i mean i cant differentiate btwn d perfomance it gave as brand new & what its givin nw.
Also, it nvr crackd a disk, unlike my two previously used sony drive. Both of them gave up on me like 9 moths after the purchase.

---------- Post added at 05:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:14 PM ----------

Spike guard made of plastic?

ashish1224

Broken In
Just bought Altec Lansing VS4121 and it went bad on just the third day of purchase. The led which is supposed to glow when the power is on is off at all times. The speakers seem dead. I bought them for Rs.2850 from a shop in Nehru Place. When I googled a little about the speakers, I came to know that a lot of people are having trouble with them and the service centers are not at all helpful. My only recommendation is don't buy this model.

One more thing is that in case of 'hardware you should not buy' I don't think this thread is living out is purpose. I just does not help the buyer make an informed choice, it is just a nice spot for all the unsatisfied fellows to vent out their hatred. I mean when you are out to buy a new, say, speaker set will you browse through all those pages and find if your speaker is in the thread or not. So there is a problem with the organisation of all this knowledge. And another thing is individuals will always havedifferent views about products. Some are happy and others are not with the same product, adding to the confusion of the buyers. And then there is this update issue. The product that we all are so unhappy with can be updated by the makers and shipped to the market. We won't come back here to say that they have corrected the fault.

I have a suggestion for this 'Hardware you should not buy' thread. Why don't the guys at digit make it an organised voting system. They could just provide the basic structure to arrange all the hardware. And the users should be able to add products. It would just be giving user the power like in case of wikipedia. And once a product has been added, users should be able to vote whether it is good or bad. Also thread for each individual product could also be allowed to allow the clash of the geeks. It would make it for the buyer much easier to browse through and find the product.
I have a lot more suggestions for thinkdigit.com. Do contact me if you like this suggestion.

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Though the idea is good I think it's not practical enough because there are tons of tech products and it's quiet impossible to list them all and manage the list.

here's the thumb rules :

1. if you can't trust a product after reading mostly bad reviews then don't buy it but you can always take the risk of purchase it if you like it's features and you can get the proper after sales service for it.

2. If a product has got many positive the get the product as there is a fat chance that it will be good for you as well.

3. When buying a product don't only rely on a single review - read as many as reviews possible - cross check all the reviews - make your own decision coz a product ( which we buy with our hard earned money ) not only depends upon it's quality but good after sales service has a major role in every products.

ashish1224

Broken In
Though the idea is good I think it's not practical enough because there are tons of tech products and it's quiet impossible to list them all and manage the list.

Well thats why I recommended a wikipedia style of information management. Just make the basic structure and let users add products. For instance in case of monitors various categories can exist on the basis of price range, resolution, brand and size. Whenever someone adds a product make him fill these details. The benifit is that the user can easily find what products to avoid in his range.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
your idea is very novel indeed but still there needs to be some kind of management with this wiki site - if digit guys can build a site and add some volunteers to manage that site it would be a great thing :p

vmars4eva

Right off the assembly line
I have learned a lot from this thread looking through what I have so far, so I think that even if people are just posting that they are upset over their product breaking, people can learn from it. However, after reading through so many of these posts, I have to wonder if there is anything that I can buy that *does not* fail in a horrible fashion. Maybe there should be a page of hardware that never dies.

janitha

Wise Old Owl
I have learned a lot from this thread looking through what I have so far, so I think that even if people are just posting that they are upset over their product breaking, people can learn from it. However, after reading through so many of these posts, I have to wonder if there is anything that I can buy that *does not* fail in a horrible fashion. Maybe there should be a page of hardware that never dies.

I can give just one example. After more than nine years of trouble free service, my Logitech mouse was donated few days back and a new one bought.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
I can give just one example. After more than nine years of trouble free service, my Logitech mouse was donated few days back and a new one bought.

i got a better example. cabinet without any fans & led or any kind of moving or electronic parts.

janitha

Wise Old Owl
Also my Casio Illuminator wrist watch bought about 11 years back is still in regular use! Even the battery is original but the strap has been replaced several times. One more thing I can remember is a Powersafe 700 VA twin battery UPS (made in Kerala) which served me 7 years until it was damaged by lightning in 2005. The batteries were replaced in between.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Just bought Altec Lansing VS4121 and it went bad on just the third day of purchase. The led which is supposed to glow when the power is on is off at all times. The speakers seem dead. I bought them for Rs.2850 from a shop in Nehru Place. When I googled a little about the speakers, I came to know that a lot of people are having trouble with them and the service centers are not at all helpful. My only recommendation is don't buy this model.

One more thing is that in case of 'hardware you should not buy' I don't think this thread is living out is purpose. I just does not help the buyer make an informed choice, it is just a nice spot for all the unsatisfied fellows to vent out their hatred. I mean when you are out to buy a new, say, speaker set will you browse through all those pages and find if your speaker is in the thread or not. So there is a problem with the organisation of all this knowledge. And another thing is individuals will always havedifferent views about products. Some are happy and others are not with the same product, adding to the confusion of the buyers. And then there is this update issue. The product that we all are so unhappy with can be updated by the makers and shipped to the market. We won't come back here to say that they have corrected the fault.

I have a suggestion for this 'Hardware you should not buy' thread. Why don't the guys at digit make it an organised voting system. They could just provide the basic structure to arrange all the hardware. And the users should be able to add products. It would just be giving user the power like in case of wikipedia. And once a product has been added, users should be able to vote whether it is good or bad. Also thread for each individual product could also be allowed to allow the clash of the geeks. It would make it for the buyer much easier to browse through and find the product.
I have a lot more suggestions for thinkdigit.com. Do contact me if you like this suggestion.

See, Ashish, you bought one of the best in class sound speakers. It was just your bad/sour luck that they turned out lemon. Just because your set turned out bad, you cannot say that they are bad. If you read reviews on this model, they are quite stellar. They bass is nice, and the sound rendering quality is really good.

This thread is not a listing thread. One cannot browse it and find the 'crosses' (not buy) and see the 'checks' (yes buy). It does not work like this. Some parts are good for others and bad for others. There are many factors which would make a device good or bad. Some of them being:

1. System compatibility.
2. Price point.
3. RMA service/dealership network (see how Rashi is messing up Asus).
4. Future upgrade options.
5. Usage.

For example we all shun the Cooler Master Extreme PSU. But if someone is creating a basic HTPC/DL rig, and is within the 350W band, this PSU is good. But someone running Xfire, makes no sense.

A mechanism like voting will not work. Everyone has a different point-of-view, all metrics have to be bundled into the analysis to tell what is good, or what is bad. Hope this makes sense.

infotechproximity9

Wow, it's the new decade already: twenty-ten is here! We hope you all had a lovely break (for those who get one) - we're all sufficiently more plump in the office, which is good considering the snow settled over the UK now.

So what better way to keep the chill out than to buy a new rig to heat up your house! Or, draw the cold air in to aid overclocking! It's a win-win!

We've seen Intel's latest and greatest Clarkdale desktop CPUs drop last week, in addition to the latest H55/H57 motherboards. We awarded the Intel Core i3-530 a Recommended award, but has it made the cut to feature in one of our rigs? Performance is excellent but prices are still commanding a bit of a premium like all new kit.

As ever we're tweaking and changing the way we do our buyers guides slightly - instead of getting EXACT prices, we're now going to show a range of prices that you should be looking at for the chosen products, as well as the overall rounded budget this PC should. This is in response to the fact prices fluctuate over the month, and products go in and out of stock, not to mention the included cost of delivery for all the parts that we need to take into account - everyone has their favourite retailers and e-tailers they buy from.

Arnab boss

In the zone
Guys if u r using a high end gaming rig then don't ever think or use cooler master extreme series psus..'

My 600w blowed up in the 4 day after assembling my rig..' I was only running my rig without gpu which I was planning to buy this week..'

And now I have to wait 4 a week or so 4 the rma and then think of it...'

huangyalin

Dear frind, do you have met some probem about ripping some files to any portable device? Yes, maybe you are thinking how to settle the ptoblelm well, here I can recommend you a site , I do hope it can help you ,good luck to you!

Ajit Vengurlekar

I got to reply to this one !! I got a Samsung optical mouse in 2002 (a first in my locality) , was damn heavy still worked fantastic. Survived 3 days under water during 2005 floods. gave it to my brother the next year and in 2010 still working although sometimes it loses sensitivity!!!!!

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
Unlucky me, my logitech is not working properly after around 30 months of use. The click is released automatically while dragging, so text selection, copying & moving files are all a big problem now. Although it is under warranty, I don't have any hopes from Rashi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom