Hardware that you should NOT buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Unlucky me, my logitech is not working properly after around 30 months of use. The click is released automatically while dragging, so text selection, copying & moving files are all a big problem now. Although it is under warranty, I don't have any hopes from Rashi

me & one of my school friend faced a strange problem with logitech mouse. me after 3yrs. he after 2yrs of use. we game a bit. FPS. sometimes the target cursor (mouse cursor) points to the sky & starts going round & round. this happens randomly. sometimes 1 in 1 week. other times multiple times a day.

also in windows, the cursor vanishes suddenly & appears on the top portion of window. i cleaned mouse but no use. finally was forced get a new one (mouse + kb set).

funkysourav

What The.... !!!
orry for intruding the thread guys!!
but i feel you should see this before jumping the gun on palit gtx460 sonic:no:
it seems that the palit cards are not as advertised and might have some serious problems:(
follow the link below
Palit GeForce GTX 460 Sonic could have issues !

this should help making a more conscious decision
follow the link i've pasted

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
yep - just checked it out a little while ag.

Seems like even Zotac GTX 460 1 GB has some serious heating issue because of that lousy old cooler.

Link

smilingrose

Right off the assembly line
Creating this threat to list hardware from which we have to stay away from. Please mention product that's a failure in the market due to issues. Also, please mention what the issue is, is it widespread etc.

Updated list:

PC's:

1) Lenovo T60 (huge number of hardware bugs from display to wireless)

2) Dynet Rams. bad performance. Go for Kingston, Transcend, Corsair etc.

3) Cheap SMPS. Better invest in better SMPS from corsair/tagan/seasonic/antec as 500W+ if you have a good GPU setup and cheap SMPS cannot provide regular/stable voltage and if they face constant load all the time, there is great chance for them to fail. Better be safe than sorry.

4) 1Tb HDDs: Looking at the high failure rate these days, better to get two 500Gb HDDs by paying just 300-400 bucks more than to get 1Tb HDD and lose huge chunk of data due to crash.

5) Via chipset based motherboards (if pc is going to be used for gaming and for linux)

6) Creative Inspire series speakers: For similar or a bit extra, you get lot lot better speakers from Altec Lansing/Edifier/Logitech.

7) XFX 8600GT (card having heat issues)

8) Mercury UPS. good battery but faulty electronics. Though it is fully charged, 6 times out of 10 it will not swtich into battery mode and everything swtiches off.

9) Intel 945GCNL and 945GCPE motherboards

10) intex/iball/cheapo membrane keyboards and mouse.

11) Canon Pixma IP1000 printer. Very noisy, ink runs out very fast, no output tray, flimsy plastic construction.

12) Notebooks that come with 8600M GT. now, you find better models with 9500GT and 9600GT in the market.

13) Surround speakers from brands like Mercury, Intex, iball. Earlier there used to be lot of price difference between these and creatives/altec lansing/logitech. Now, the difference is minimal and it's always better to for long-term-player's products.

14) Creative XFi Xtreme audio. The entry-level model of the X-Fi series, the Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio, does not actually have the EMU20K1 chip but is a re-branded Audigy SE, using the same family of chips (CA0106-WBTLF), and even the same drivers. Thus, not only is all of the X-Fi–related processing performed in software, but it also lacks basic hardware acceleration just like the SB Live! 24 bit, the Audigy SE and other budget Soundblaster models. The X-Fi Xtreme Audio does not use the same drivers as the rest of the X-Fi family, some games do not recognize it as being "X-Fi capable hardware", and the device's hardware profile resembles that of older Live! and Audigy cards.

15) Dell 1908WFP. contrast issues

16) Viewsonic 1716W, AOC 913FW, Viewsonic VW1940W, HP L2208w. poor performance when compared to similar priced models.

17) promax speakers. Better get Creatives and AL's for just 200-300 extra.

18) First gen MSI X58 based boards. Lot of BIOS issues in this first gen boards.

18) Seagate . Firware issues crashing HDD, resulting in total data loss and requires replacement.

19) Microsoft entry level keyboard: The keys become hard after few weeks or months. Better stick to Logitech keyboard

20) Optical Mouse (for gamers) : With Laser mouse price falling every day, it's time for gamers to ditch that optical mouse and get laser mouse.

21) AMD Athlon 7750 BE: Worst Black Edition processor ever designed by AMD. E5200 and Athlon II X2 245 are much better and are available for same price

22) ASUS dvd burners: good product but very bad tech support for DVD burners

Mobiles and PMP's:

1) Nokia 6300 (battery issues, network issues)

2) Sony Ericsson S600i (grossly overpriced, ugly, not many features)

3) chinese phones frm Techno, el cheapo n el hazardo. el cheapo n el hazardo.... have lead parts, give radiations (harmful ones), n screen starts 2 shift

4) Nokia N76. Really bad design. Poor body painint, awkwardly placed headphone jack, not-so-bad keypad design.

5) Nokia 6233 Music Edition. This one comes with dock kind of speakers that are not at all worthy. Go for standard 6233. Best phone in 5k-10k category.

6) Motorola S9 headset. Good for looks. Poor audio quality. breaking of sound while on move.

7) Mitashi MWI-4GA. as per digit review, poor music quality and unintuitive menu.

8) YES YMP 18. Runs on external batteries and much better models available (run on li-ion) for the same price.

9) Creative Zen Stone and ipod shuffle. No display. Models like Sandisk clip, Apacer steno are availalbe for the same price and have decent OLED display. You can also go for Creative Zen Stone Plus that comes with tiny OLED display but costs around 1.2k more

10) Vodafone magic box. Much better phones are available for the same price and lot of stores are now giving free SIM with mobile phone purchase.

11) Mobiblu T10. Cnet says "The MobiBlu T10 is the worst touch-screen MP3 player we've seen." The MobiBlu T10 is plagued with problems, such as videos that play out of sync with audio; poor voice-recording quality; an abysmal user interface; and games that are awkward to play.

12) Samsung and LG low end touch phones: With these the fun lasts only few days and later, the real problems like buggy OS and non-responsive touch screen come to the fore of experience.

13) HDD based PMPs: With flash players reaching 64Gb, it's finally time to dump these bulky and slow HDD based PMPs and go for flash based PMPs.

Miscellaneous:

1) Netgear WG111USB wifi router. pathetic signal reception.

2) non-jasper XBOX 360: with it's high failure rate and RRoD, look for jasper, which is the latest version of XBOX 360.

Thanks for sharing this useful information bro....

Gollum

Collector
Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse combo EX 90
I bought the same and although the keyboard works fine, the mouse does not work well at all.
Its heavy for it uses 2 AA sized batteries.
has the same red LED and not laser.
Its slow @ 1000dpi
its reception quality is bAAd. It stops working it the receiver is not in the line of sight of the mouse.

tkin

Back to school!!
Never buy Palit Graphic Cards, specially the ones with custom cooler, like the GTX460 Sonic.
Look what happened to me:
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/hardware-...rds-related-queries-here-393.html#post1270643
Card may(or may not) heat up like hell, turns your case into furnace, not related to airflow but a faulty VGA BIOS.
Mine heat up like hell, while another member mukherjee's did not.

Look at his review: *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/hardware-q/130031-nvidia-gtx-460-discussion.html

But mine heat up to 95c @ 100% fan speed, almost burnt my Hdd and northbridge heatsink, I opened the cabby and put a table fan to blow in the case, yet the temps stayed at 93c.

So the GTX460 Sonic is a gamble, wish you luck gambling with 14k.

funkysourav

What The.... !!!
^^^^^^^
oh boy tkin!!!
you sure are pissed off on the entire palit episode!!:-D
i don't blame you,
you should be!!
you're lucky to have gotten off lightly(thank your great presence of mind for that)

btw
you didn't try changing the bios to thee modified one?

tkin

Back to school!!
^^^^^^^
oh boy tkin!!!
you sure are pissed off on the entire palit episode!!:-D
i don't blame you,
you should be!!
you're lucky to have gotten off lightly(thank your great presence of mind for that)

btw
you didn't try changing the bios to thee modified one?
I would if I had no other choice, I'll rather have a new GPU rather than a faulty one that I need to repair myself.
First of all the warranty would've been void, and second as I said different bin of cards require different amount of voltages to run, usually it varies by a slight amount but some fail to run in normal voltage conditions, these chips should be discarded but guess what palit might've done.
Also it didn't look like a Thermal paste issue, also note here palit put a warranty void sticker on top of one of the heatsink screws, which I am happy to say XFX does not, so there you go, I can change the themal compound of my HD5850 without warranty getting void. The rma center says card doesn't crash, you're ok, to hell with them.

EITHER WAY PALIT IS UTTER CRAP. SO IS THEIR RMA :x, you think I like losing PhysX and cuda? but damn you palit.

When I run the Palit VGA Upadater tool is says update not needed, it said the same with mukherjee, we have different bioses(either mine or his is latest), so either one is old, so why is bios updater saying that? So new bios from palit is for Sonic Platinum cards only, no matter what Palit says, should've stayed away from palit the moment they send vanilla gpus with better coolers to the reviewers.

funkysourav

What The.... !!!
I would if I had no other choice, I'll rather have a new GPU rather than a faulty one that I need to repair myself.
First of all the warranty would've been void, and second as I said different bin of cards require different amount of voltages to run, usually it varies by a slight amount but some fail to run in normal voltage conditions, these chips should be discarded but guess what palit might've done.
Also it didn't look like a Thermal paste issue, also note here palit put a warranty void sticker on top of one of the heatsink screws, which I am happy to say XFX does not, so there you go, I can change the themal compound of my HD5850 without warranty getting void. The rma center says card doesn't crash, you're ok, to hell with them.

EITHER WAY PALIT IS UTTER CRAP. SO IS THEIR RMA :x, you think I like losing PhysX and cuda? but damn you palit.

When I run the Palit VGA Upadater tool is says update not needed, it said the same with mukherjee, we have different bioses(either mine or his is latest), so either one is old, so why is bios updater saying that? So new bios from palit is for Sonic Platinum cards only, no matter what Palit says, should've stayed away from palit the moment they send vanilla gpus with better coolers to the reviewers.
how could the warranty been voided
if you flashed the bios?
it was palit on the first place recommending the users to get their bios flashed to the new ones to reduce temps...
btw,
dont worry about physx
gtx 460 was just enough to run some dx11 titles
if you turned on physx , the performance would've suffered terribly..
dx11 has provisions for its own physics engine(open source maybe)
the first implementations can be seen in 2011 2nd quarter:x
so physx is just a dead man walking

but all in all hd5850 and hd 5770 are now the way to go for us in this price range!!!
the only thing you'll miss is CUDA(since you work with it)
tessellation,ati cards have only light tesselation(enables some serious terrain details)

overall you are now in a more comfortable spot with HD5850!!!
it runs cooler,more silent ,less power,less noise:)
and more oc'ing headroom!!:-D:-D

tkin

Back to school!!
how could the warranty been voided
if you flashed the bios?
it was palit on the first place recommending the users to get their bios flashed to the new ones to reduce temps...
btw,
dont worry about physx
gtx 460 was just enough to run some dx11 titles
if you turned on physx , the performance would've suffered terribly..
dx11 has provisions for its own physics engine(open source maybe)
the first implementations can be seen in 2011 2nd quarter:x
so physx is just a dead man walking

but all in all hd5850 and hd 5770 are now the way to go for us in this price range!!!
the only thing you'll miss is CUDA(since you work with it)
tessellation,ati cards have only light tesselation(enables some serious terrain details)

overall you are now in a more comfortable spot with HD5850!!!
it runs cooler,more silent ,less power,less noise:)
and more oc'ing headroom!!:-D:-D
No, no, the Palit OFFICIAL VGA BIOS(with updater) that was released for the GTX460 series due to overheating is refusing to update the bios for both mukherjee and my GTX460 sonic(says not needed), its not working, so if all else failed I would've flashed mukherjee's BIOS into mine using 3rd party tools, wait, palit is crap in one more department, and that's software support :x

BTW I don't work with cuda, i use some cuda apps like corecodec and such, I don't miss PhysX, turn on PhysX in Metro 2033 and GTX480 cries out, my GTX460 was a puny puppy, physx is a fail, but its supported on consoles so it'll stay for some time but apart from some broken glass/cloth/spiderweb its all just gimmick, I always had to turn off physx due to the overhead it produces.

Last edited:

funkysourav

What The.... !!!
hey if you miss Physx that much,
you can always use the 9800gtx+ you have with you,
to act as a physx card..
and the 5850 will act as the renderer
provided that you have a second pcie slot
and extra power from psu..

---------- Post added at 10:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 PM ----------

BTW I don't work with cuda, i use some cuda apps like corecodec and such, I don't miss PhysX, turn on PhysX in Metro 2033 and GTX480 cries out, my GTX460 was a puny puppy, physx is a fail, but its supported on consoles so it'll stay for some time but apart from some broken glass/cloth/spiderweb its all just gimmick, I always had to turn off physx due to the overhead it produces.
you're absolutely right on point:))

tkin

Back to school!!
hey if you miss Physx that much,
you can always use the 9800gtx+ you have with you,
to act as a physx card..
and the 5850 will act as the renderer
provided that you have a second pcie slot
and extra power from psu..

---------- Post added at 10:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 PM ----------

you're absolutely right on point:))
I have one frigging PCIe slot, so no CF for me, also if an AMD GPU is detected nVidia disables PhysX on secondary nVidia card(eg-9800GTX+), so no go there, this card is just a backup.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
tkin - I was worried about the high temp of palit gtx 460 from before and glad to know that you've gotten a better one now - HD5850 congrats!

BTW, did you returned that GTX 460 to she shop - what did you say to them - just a little bit curious to know :p

@ funkysourav - thanks for the links :p

funkysourav

What The.... !!!
^^^
@topgear
no problem mates :-D
just make sure you guys register in
overclock.net
it is a warehouse of knowledge in latest hardware modding and troubleshooting
i have made a profile yesterday,
and believe me i am repenting that i didn't visit the site before :-O

tkin

Back to school!!
tkin - I was worried about the high temp of palit gtx 460 from before and glad to know that you've gotten a better one now - HD5850 congrats!

BTW, did you returned that GTX 460 to she shop - what did you say to them - just a little bit curious to know :p

@ funkysourav - thanks for the links :p
Well, said blah blah heating etc, begged a bit, the XFX hd5850 was sitting in the shelf there and showed no sign of selling(been there from last month), so got it for 1k extra(lets think of it as a restocking fee), should've got it in the start, but that 1k hit will keep me away from Palit(and possibly nVidia) gpu for a long long time, too bad new egg like shops aren't here that allows return of products upto 30 days and get refund, but STAY AWAY FROM PALIT, in guru3d benchmark it touches 79c on load and thats in a ac room(25c amb), no wonder it hit 90c here, my HD5850 hits 90c with 50% fan speed, ramp it to 70% and it gets in 75c range, thanks to the massive copper heatpipe cooler and the vapor-x like cooling system(fan in middle rather than at end), the fan blows into the GPU chip directly.

---------- Post added at 09:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 AM ----------

PS, I'm not the only one, look here: Palit GTX 460 Sonic - Overheating Issue - Guru3D.com Forums
More to crop up soon, this chips have issues at low voltage so palit and other vendors presumably upped the voltage but palit put a crap cooler to save money, the reference cooler has a heatpipe based design so its more costly, so if you get a good bin you're good to go but if you get a bin that need high voltage you're screwed.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
yep, revolution first warned us about the heating issue of palit GTX 460 by posting the link to the guru3d review and after seeing that I concluded the two brands you should stay away for a GTX 460 is plait and zotac.

funkysourav

What The.... !!!
i m getting msi cyclone soon :p

if you want to go for gtx460,
dont hurry yet:cool:
MSI has THE same Twin Frozr II treatment for GTX 460 lined up!!
it is due to be released this month !!
they even coaxed 1ghz stable on air with this card!!:)
MSI GeForce GTX 460 HAWK gets uncovered - reaches 1 GHz !
the price may be similar to that of a stock HD5850

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom