Hardware that you should NOT buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

lostindestiny

Right off the assembly line
never ever buy those small iball flash drives made of plastic. At first they wil impress you because of its light weight and easy to carry features, but will break only after a couple of jack in and out in usp ports. Always go for pendrives with metal jack.

hansraj

In the zone
Guys I am suffering after my latest purchase of Iomega Screenplay Director 1 TB Player.
The link is this:

*go.iomega.com/en/products/multimed...nplay-director/?partner=4725#overviewItem_tab

I realised that i should have read various problems in their forum

*www.iomegasupportforums.com

but my mistake that I didnt make much efforts to find out the elaborate details.
Nevertheless for you all it may not be late, those who want to purchase a good media player.
The most annoying problems are

1. No support for the media files which have dts audio!! Now almost all the hd video files are bound to have dts nowadays whether mkv, ts or avi format.

2. Does not play all the hd video files smoothly. The reason is unknown. Solution convert it in your PC and keep checking which format runs smooth!!!

3. Subtitles display is pathetic... by default it remains off always and is out of sync in most of the cases. check them on pc and the subtitles have no problem at all!!

4. Starting the media player takes 3 minutes, it boots like a pc... my old p4 is much faster.

5. Audio out is only L and R channel..... so my home theater has gone for a six!!

6. The customer service is so pathetic that when i tried to "livechat" with the rep ... he was behaving as if I am trying to woo a girl amongst her crazy fans. He (or she) was replying at times after 10 mins and i had no choice to sit and just wait for the replies. Not only that he was too keen to end the chat session as If i was a leech asking the questions and he was doing some "Ahsaan" by replying in 10 mins.

7. I thought my deal was a good one but I have no hesitation in accepting that I am feeling cheated and dont want other guys to undergo the same trauma....

Revolution

Wise Old Owl
Never buy any HP printer or AIO.
Last Monday I bought HP Deskjet F2418 AIO.
It got paper jam problem.
So I went to shop Tuesday to change that AIO.
I got another new HP F2418 AIO but it got some problem related to papers.
It taking more than one papers at a time.
The whole manual duplex process was meshed up.
Many papers and too much ink wasted......:x
I saw that black cartridge almost become empty after 30 pages.....:(
And then the most disappointed thing is the 818 series cartridges are not refillable.
Daily meal of an elephant is much cheaper than the running cost of a HP printer.
HP ink is more expensive than human blood.
Buying HP Printer was one of my biggest mistake in my life.....:(
Please never buy HP printer..........

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ That's bad - if it draws two papers instead of one then get it serviced and I personally don't like HP printers as I don't trust that brand much.

BTW, from which shop you purchased this ?

Last edited:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Daily meal of an elephant is much cheaper than the running cost of a HP printer.

HP ink is more expensive than human blood.

true. HP cartridges cost a fortune. and HP mayn't be best in Printers but surely comes first when it comes to advertising their printers & AIO range.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
There is an option of "Fast Draft" when you print a page using a HP printer which most people just don't notice.

The "Normal" of Canon utilizes less ink than the "Normal" of HP. Thats why it seems to most people that HP cartridges run out fast. On an HP, it is always recommended to use Fast Draft. Though HP should itself fix it.

Regarding Canon, they suck at cross-platform support. Sorry, but it is the truth. I bought a Canon LiDE 100 scanner only to realize that it has NO support for Linux. Canon printers also give problems while configuring through CUPS.

I had bought an HP Deskjet 3325 8 years ago. It still works.

---------- Post added at 02:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:39 PM ----------

true. HP cartridges cost a fortune. and HP mayn't be best in Printers but surely comes first when it comes to advertising their printers & AIO range.
They are also first when it comes to cross-platform support.

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
Hardware that you should NOT buy: transcend pen drives, at least Jetflash V30
Reason: Poorest after sales service I can imagine. The warranty is just for show, if you need it, you wouldn't know where to contact.

Revolution

Wise Old Owl
There is an option of "Fast Draft" when you print a page using a HP printer which most people just don't notice.

The "Normal" of Canon utilizes less ink than the "Normal" of HP. Thats why it seems to most people that HP cartridges run out fast. On an HP, it is always recommended to use Fast Draft. Though HP should itself fix it.

Regarding Canon, they suck at cross-platform support. Sorry, but it is the truth. I bought a Canon LiDE 100 scanner only to realize that it has NO support for Linux. Canon printers also give problems while configuring through CUPS.

I had bought an HP Deskjet 3325 8 years ago. It still works.

I'm using 'Fast Draft' option from the beginning.
Your old HP Deskjet are different than my new HP Deskjet F2418.
It use 818 series cartridges.
Your old cartridges may be refillable but I don't think my 818 carttridges are refillable ?

---------- Post added at 06:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:35 AM ----------

Now after 40 B&W pages the demo Black cartridge is totally over.....:(

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
I say that one should not buy even intel processors. For example, if an intel quad core 2.8 Ghz comes for 7000, AMD quad core 2.8 Ghz comes for 5000. OK, both might not give same performance! so go for AMD quad core 3.0 Ghz @ 6000! You still save a 1000 bucks

---------- Post added at 07:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:59 AM ----------

Those prices are not correct, just hypothetical examples

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
I say that one should not buy even intel processors. For example, if an intel quad core 2.8 Ghz comes for 7000, AMD quad core 2.8 Ghz comes for 5000. OK, both might not give same performance! so go for AMD quad core 3.0 Ghz @ 6000! You still save a 1000 bucks

---------- Post added at 07:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:59 AM ----------

Those prices are not correct, just hypothetical examples

i won't say u wrong, but i don't fully agree. Core2 lineup is dead. also with AMD, u getting more cores (more transistors) per Rupees than Intel. also these are damn fast. however they are forced sell them so dirt cheap cause they are not efficient. no dual core from AMD, can match even the entry level Core i3. yes the cheapest core i3 cost 1000 bucks more than costliest X2, but offer similarly good performance.

also Intel's new Core i series are like cars with no brakes. just tap the FSB & they OC like crazy. so both got their own advantages & disadvantages. also biggest issue is the past AMD record in heat is very bad. heating issue changed mind of many ppls when thinking about AMD. add to it, AMD not available in all places. & to make situation far more favorable, Intel put in millions of dollars in advertisement.

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
yes the cheapest core i3 cost 1000 bucks more than costliest X2, but offer similarly good performance.
That's what I said, if the performance is similar at 1000 bucks less, why not go for AMD, even the motherboards for AMD are cheaper than those for intel.

also biggest issue is the past AMD record in heat is very bad. heating issue changed mind of many ppls when thinking about AMD. add to it, AMD not available in all places. & to make situation far more favorable, Intel put in millions of dollars in advertisement.

Yes, Intel put millions of dollars in advertisement, and that's what they recover when they ask for a premium over AMD. and as far as heat is concerned, I don't agree. I've myself checked the temperatures with my friend's computer and found that 2.8 Ghz AMD runs cooler than 2.53 Ghz C2D. I have tested with 3 AMD machines. Unfortunately, most of my friends buy PCs with my suggestions and hence I don't find many Intels amongst them.
of course this is my personal opinion and people might differ. But one can not disagree that if you are on a tight budget (like 18000 or so), you'll have to go for an AMD, you can't even think of an intel. and that's why I love AMD, it has made PCs more accesible to the masses. in fact, even I would have been using a single core PC today had AMD not been available here.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
That's what I said, if the performance is similar at 1000 bucks less, why not go for AMD, even the motherboards for AMD are cheaper than those for intel.

its their nature. "if u own an intel, u owe me a premium". same as apple.

Yes, Intel put millions of dollars in advertisement, and that's what they recover when they ask for a premium over AMD.

exactly.

and as far as heat is concerned, I don't agree. I've myself checked the temperatures with my friend's computer and found that 2.8 Ghz AMD runs cooler than 2.53 Ghz C2D. I have tested with 3 AMD machines. Unfortunately, most of my friends buy PCs with my suggestions and hence I don't find many Intels amongst them.
of course this is my personal opinion and people might differ. But one can not disagree that if you are on a tight budget (like 18000 or so), you'll have to go for an AMD, you can't even think of an intel. and that's why I love AMD, it has made PCs more accesible to the masses. in fact, even I would have been using a single core PC today had AMD not been available here.

i talking about the now ancient Athlon XP range. they used to have some bad heat issues. now someone who faced such a heat issue, i don't think he/she will look into AMD ever in life, even if they come cheap & offer better performance. but problem is, almost all old AMD's used to have this problem. partially solved in the Athlon X2 series & now totally kicked out by the Athlon II & Phenom IIs, specially thuban.

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
well, when I had a chance to use athlon xp, i wasn't knowledgeble enough to check temperatures and as far as X2 is concerned, as I'm writing this my X2 3600+ (2.0 Ghz) is running at 40-41 degree Celsius in a room temperature of around 32 degrees. So guess it's a tad on the higher side, but as you said, temperatures are lower on athlon II & phenom II.

@Sam.Shab, And why did you choose to do almost a U-Turn from your previous post?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom