Hardware that you should NOT buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkin

Back to school!!
It was working fine before you ran Kombustor and Furmark..?
Yes, it was actually fine before running kombustor in that blasted unlock power draw mode, I played about 2hrs of Metro 2033 and Just cause 2 maxed out, played another hour of crysis warhead and also ran 30 mins of furmark in xtreme burning mode and such, ran occt for 30 mins no issue, that blasted kombustor killed my card, never run kombustor in an ati card with unlock power draw, all the people in different forums are saying this but I overlooked it, damn msi.

funkysourav

What The.... !!!
@tkin
:no:
you shouldn't have used extreme burning mode dude
nor the unlocked power mode
it is clearly written in EVGA forums
Evga said:
Question / Issue

Does EVGA recommend using the “Unlock power draw” button?

Answer / Solution

For general artifact scanning, this button does not need to be used, nor is it recommended. General artifact scanning can be accomplished with the default settings.

that's what killed your card maybe

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
@tkin
:no:
you shouldn't have used extreme burning mode dude
nor the unlocked power mode
it is clearly written in EVGA forums

that's what killed your card maybe

Does this unlock mode pour in more vCore to the chip..? How it calculates it..?

funkysourav

What The.... !!!
asigh said:
yes the Kombustor is mainly a tool to determine the max juice you can get out of your card
but here's the catch
Ati has already determined the maximum safe oc levels of each card
that is the max vcore that can be reached is fixed generally
and not available for end user(who must feel very brave) tweaking

however MSI has produced the Kombustor based on furmark
to be appealing to extreme enthusiast overclockers as well
thus the "unlock power draw" workaround
while Kombustor has become a huge favourite with benchers
it is not recommended for us

this is all i could gather about Kombustor
while this is a nifty little tool in expert hands no doubt,
it can wreak havok in the hands of a curious and ill informed user
people have actually killed their cards for no reason at all!!
this is just too much of a power and responsibility
use it with care and discretion folks!!

repeated use of Kombustor stress testing for no reason at all it seems is
a big NO NO!!

@asigh
i have come across many forums like OVERCLOCK.NET and GURU3D
related to the use of this tool
but i can't simply cut through the tech jargon
please help us setting a few guidelines to use this tool safely!!:)

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
partially shrouded coolers will dissipate some of the heat inside of the cabby and raise the cpu temp by 2-3 deg but on the other hand will keep the gfx card more cool.

Do keep in mind it also depends upoin the GPU itself too as not all gpus consume same amount of power and don't generate same amount of heat.

If you want to use a HD5770 like card inside a CM elite 310 like cabby then I think it's better to get cards like MSI HAWK.

no. not always. if the card dumps heat in the cabby & again uses the hot air. card will suffer too. but best bet is:

CM 310 + MSI HAWX + 2*120mm intake & a fast 120mm exhaust. using a shouded card good only if cabby got very bad ventilation or just 1 or no fan.

One best trick to lower your system and the gpu temp is place a 80 mm fan in exhaust mode at the back side of the cabby - remove all the rear expansion plates of the cabby to do so.

is it possible? if yes holes have to drilled in the rear of the cabby isn't?

i haven't bought my system yet
the dealer is taking unnecessarily long sourcing the parts:-|
especially the graphics card and psu
but that's okay, i don't mind waiting a little

i was contemplating whether to go for CM elite 310 or NZXT Gamma

if i get cm310 without plexi window@1.6k ,
i will have 500 bucks to spare
to get 2 120mm fans(front and side intake)
and there's 1 exhaust fan included in 310:mrgreen:

however if i get Gamma@2.3k(scarcely available)
i wont have enough left for extra fans:?

get Elite 310. & spend the rest of the money in cooling. Gamma will bring you looks & better cable management, but without extra fans & a hot card inside, its nothing more than a pressure cooker.

^^MSI's software utility to tweak graphics card.

nope. MSI AfterBurner is used for tweaking cards. Kombustor is used to check for stability after OC of cards.

funkysourav

What The.... !!!
asigh said:
yes the Kombustor is mainly a tool to determine the max juice you can get out of your card
but here's the catch

a big NO NO!!

@asigh

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
The basics of overclocking are this....

1. You increase the clock and memory speeds and run the stress test.
2. If (1) is fail then you increase vCore.
3. Run (1) again.

Now from what I read about Kombustor [KB] it is JUST a stress testing tool. It will not automatically increase voltages. It can be used in conjunction with MSI After burner [MAB]. So you use MAB to make hardware changes and then use KB to test it. So how can KB kill your card...? It is just like any other Furmark -- but has a furry MSI logo instead of the standard Furmark doughnut. Now if someone has raised the voltages too much, then if they run KB, yes it will / could / might kill the card. But is this the fault of KB...? Hardly, since the user increased the vCore. OCCT does the same, just stresses the GPU or CPU, which ever one chooses, or the whole system.

Correct me if wrong.

Also Tkin, do not take this wrong. But why were you trying to OC a brand new card. You quite well know that it takes a while to get a VGA up and optimized for the system (read stable). So many drivers, BIOS setting, matching it to the system OC. Once stable then OC should be attempted. I use a combination of Rivatuner+Furmark to OC my GPUs and it seems fine.

Last edited:

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.
Never EVER buy anything from Rashi. Those guys are effing cheaters!

1) My 8800GT died so I sent it for replacement and they sent me an old 8800GTS 640MB
2) That 8800GTS died in 3 days
3) It was gone fore replacement since 2 and a half weeks
4) They sent me a...wait for it...a 8400GS in the place of that!! WHAT THE **** ?

Right now my dealer has called up Rashi and is talking with them so now am waiting to get what I am gonna get. Never buy from Rashi.

tkin

Back to school!!
but here's the catch

a big NO NO!!

@asigh
From my experience the safest route to take kombustor is to make sure not to check the unlock power draw button but here's the thing, GPUs are designed to throttle when overheated, so how come my card died? Shouldn't it throttle first?

---------- Post added at 07:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:16 PM ----------

The basics of overclocking are this....

1. You increase the clock and memory speeds and run the stress test.
2. If (1) is fail then you increase vCore.
3. Run (1) again.

Now from what I read about Kombustor [KB] it is JUST a stress testing tool. It will not automatically increase voltages. It can be used in conjunction with MSI After burner [MAB]. So you use MAB to make hardware changes and then use KB to test it. So how can KB kill your card...? It is just like any other Furmark -- but has a furry MSI logo instead of the standard Furmark doughnut. Now if someone has raised the voltages too much, then if they run KB, yes it will / could / might kill the card. But is this the fault of KB...? Hardly, since the user increased the vCore. OCCT does the same, just stresses the GPU or CPU, which ever one chooses, or the whole system.

Correct me if wrong.

Also Tkin, do not take this wrong. But why were you trying to OC a brand new card. You quite well know that it takes a while to get a VGA up and optimized for the system (read stable). So many drivers, BIOS setting, matching it to the system OC. Once stable then OC should be attempted. I use a combination of Rivatuner+Furmark to OC my GPUs and it seems fine.
Well, I was trying to see whether I could hit 800mhz without tweaking the vCore as I can't change it(no voltage tweak), anyways when you run furmark what settings do you use? I ran furmark with my 9800GTX+ with xtreme burning mode turned on and 16x msaa and it did not cross 80c, also the card ran fine, wth did amd put in their HD5850 series anyway?

I noticed something unusual though, when it was crashing with Kombustor/OCCT I tried to test oc using amd over-drive and it oc'ed to 765/1030 from 725/1000 and was still going and did not crash or show signs of flicker, I turned it off then but it looked like it could go higher. Also slowing down to 700/900 didn't help my cause so maybe something was wrong with my driver installation that the card was falling back to 2d mode in 3d, should've done a clean install.

---------- Post added at 07:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:23 PM ----------

Never EVER buy anything from Rashi. Those guys are effing cheaters!

1) My 8800GT died so I sent it for replacement and they sent me an old 8800GTS 640MB
2) That 8800GTS died in 3 days
3) It was gone fore replacement since 2 and a half weeks
4) They sent me a...wait for it...a 8400GS in the place of that!! WHAT THE **** ?

Right now my dealer has called up Rashi and is talking with them so now am waiting to get what I am gonna get. Never buy from Rashi.
A 8800GTS is a hell lot slower than the 8800GT not to mention it consumes more power. They should get you atleast a 9800GT or even a 8800GTX(if you game at high resolutions).

8400GS? Really? That's like crap, how old was your 8800GT? When my friend's 1.5yr old 8800GT died they gave him a better one(8800GT, this one had a full shroud), i which city are you in?

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.
From my experience the safest route to take kombustor is to make sure not to check the unlock power draw button but here's the thing, GPUs are designed to throttle when overheated, so how come my card died? Shouldn't it throttle first?

---------- Post added at 07:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:16 PM ----------

Well, I was trying to see whether I could hit 800mhz without tweaking the vCore as I can't change it(no voltage tweak), anyways when you run furmark what settings do you use? I ran furmark with my 9800GTX+ with xtreme burning mode turned on and 16x msaa and it did not cross 80c, also the card ran fine, wth did amd put in their HD5850 series anyway?

I noticed something unusual though, when it was crashing with Kombustor/OCCT I tried to test oc using amd over-drive and it oc'ed to 765/1030 from 725/1000 and was still going and did not crash or show signs of flicker, I turned it off then but it looked like it could go higher. Also slowing down to 700/900 didn't help my cause so maybe something was wrong with my driver installation that the card was falling back to 2d mode in 3d, should've done a clean install.

---------- Post added at 07:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:23 PM ----------

A 8800GTS is a hell lot slower than the 8800GT not to mention it consumes more power. They should get you atleast a 9800GT or even a 8800GTX(if you game at high resolutions).

8400GS? Really? That's like crap, how old was your 8800GT? When my friend's 1.5yr old 8800GT died they gave him a better one(8800GT, this one had a full shroud), i which city are you in?

They sent an 8800GTS 640MB again... had an arguement and sent it again. Said I want a 8800GT back. Let's see.

Am from Rajkot in Gujurat though I don't think cities make that much of difference.

And yeah, the 8800GTS wasn't booting because of PSU overload.

tkin

Back to school!!
They sent an 8800GTS 640MB again... had an arguement and sent it again. Said I want a 8800GT back. Let's see.

Am from Rajkot in Gujurat though I don't think cities make that much of difference.

And yeah, the 8800GTS wasn't booting because of PSU overload.
That's the least you should get, the 8800GTS 640mb is damn power hungry, if they give you a 8800GTS 512 mb you should take it, the 8800GTS 512mb is based on the G92 core(8800GT) but has 128 shaders, like my 9800GTX+. It will be an upgrade.

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.
That's the least you should get, the 8800GTS 640mb is damn power hungry, if they give you a 8800GTS 512 mb you should take it, the 8800GTS 512mb is based on the G92 core(8800GT) but has 128 shaders, like my 9800GTX+. It will be an upgrade.

I know that. Actually I felt happy when I saw the 8800GTS but then I read the '640MB' and I was like meh :(. Damn Rashi. Never buying from them again!

tkin

Back to school!!
I know that. Actually I felt happy when I saw the 8800GTS but then I read the '640MB' and I was like meh :(. Damn Rashi. Never buying from them again!
And here I was feeling bad about getting my card from akshay and not from rashi, I thought rashi was better, seems they are just as crap as everyone.

PS: Did they send you a new card in a sealed box? or just open card?

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Yes it ideally should throttle. But you probably had a botched driver installation, so the throttle triggers/process never kicked in. That is why I asked why you OC'ed a brand new card. Even if you were not increasing the vCore the throttle process would have saved the card -- but it did not. As usual OC is a risky business.

anyways when you run furmark what settings do you use? I ran furmark with my 9800GTX+ with xtreme burning mode turned on and 16x msaa and it did not cross 80c, also the card ran fine, wth did amd put in their HD5850 series anyway?
Honestly, I never play to much around with the Furmark settings. This is what I do.

1. Launch the EXE.
2. Choose stability.
3. Choose full screen - 1920 x 1080.
4. Run it.

Believe me this test will stress the GPU like no other game. It is totally synthetic. No need to play around with MSAA or Xtreme burning mode. If you system / VGA sub system can pass this test 15-20 minutes you are good to do. This will generate 10-15C more of heat on your accelerator then any game will ever.

You had probably all ready killed it using OCC/KB/Furmark. Just one was not stressing it enough. Just remember to have the system stable at least for a month -- before attempting any type of OC. Be it CPU and/or graphics. Its tempting, but prevention beats the cure, and the boring RMA wait.

tkin

Back to school!!
Yes it ideally should throttle. But you probably had a botched driver installation, so the throttle triggers/process never kicked in. That is why I asked why you OC'ed a brand new card. Even if you were not increasing the vCore the throttle process would have saved the card -- but it did not. As usual OC is a risky business.

Honestly, I never play to much around with the Furmark settings. This is what I do.

1. Launch the EXE.
2. Choose stability.
3. Choose full screen - 1920 x 1080.
4. Run it.

Believe me this test will stress the GPU like no other game. It is totally synthetic. No need to play around with MSAA or Xtreme burning mode. If you system / VGA sub system can pass this test 15-20 minutes you are good to do. This will generate 10-15C more of heat on your accelerator then any game will ever.

You had probably all ready killed it using OCC/KB/Furmark. Just one was not stressing it enough. Just remember to have the system stable at least for a month -- before attempting any type of OC. Be it CPU and/or graphics. Its tempting, but prevention beats the cure, and the boring RMA wait.
Next time I'll just never run the power viruses, I guess the same, the throttling never kicked in, I have had a little problem with driver installation in the start, also it could be faulty sensor from the start, after getting the rma back I'll just play games and that's it, no more oc'ing till I get a job and earn for myself, now gotta find that control system book :twisted:

Now just and endless wait for the rma.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom