Graphics Cards related queries here.

Piyush

Lanaya
Re: All Graphics Cards related queries here.

idle phase comes when the system goes to idle state......lol......

ok jokes apart

CPU Overclocking vs. Power Consumption (page 13) - X-bit labs

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

a small query for everyone. if we work in document or just let the system run a virus scan, & the system have an accelerator. will it run in idle mode (draw idle power)? if not than when idle mode comes into play?

If the accelerator is NOT rendering 3D, it should always be on idle. This logic is burnt into the BIOS. You can quickly check GPU-Z and verify this. If it is not idling then:

A. Driver issue.
B. BIOS issue.

tkin

Back to school!!

URGENT ATTENTION!!
WTH? My GTX460 1GB is showing 94c on load(OCCT), the load voltage is 1.0370, mukherjee can you load OCCT and measure maximum load voltage? I think I need to RMA the card.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

@piyush, i was aking about the card. not the proccy or whole system.

@asigh, yes i seen the frequency coming to ~150Mhz & memory to 300Mhz in GPU_Z sensor panel. actually i saw that the freq was 775Mhz on the first tab when my system was on idle . so i got confused.

@tkin, with such hot summer days & a not so well ventilated cabinet. if you run OCCT, it'll go near 90degree. still 94degree is a bit high. as no 2 GPUs are same so a few degree here & there shouldn't be a big problem. anyway congrats on that purchase. nice one. specially the price.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

@ tkin - 94c is just too hot

mukherjee is getting 85c on load with 20 min OCCT test @ 1024*768 resolution.

can you tell us at which resolution you have tested with OCCT and for how long ??

pulsar_swift

Youngling

@ TKIN do you have a intake fan at the PCIE slot ? Tha cabinet is nothing great. You need better cabby

tkin

Back to school!!

@ tkin - 94c is just too hot

mukherjee is getting 85c on load with 20 min OCCT test @ 1024*768 resolution.

can you tell us at which resolution you have tested with OCCT and for how long ??
That's what I'm wondering about, I took OCCT @ 1024x768, shader level 8 for 30mins, fan goes 100%, however mukherjee's bios version is different than mine is, my load voltages look waay to high, at load it goes to 1.0370v which looks too high.
Now I can't apply thermal fusion on it as it will void the warranty. But if this continues I'm gonna put a fan under the card in my vacant PCIe slots.

Also to note mukherjee gets 75FPS in OCCT, I get lower, so I'm using a higher shader level, but that might very well be due to his CPU bottleneck, that could explain the temps.

PS: Mukherjee's bios is 70.04.0f.00.01, mine is 70.04.13.00.01, so I'm baffled here completely, how come two cards bought few days apart be that different, maybe I'll flash his bios into mine.

Anyway if 94c in OCCT, my load temps in game will remain below 90c(~85c) and I don't game a lot these days, if I can't fix this I'll later buy an aftermarket cooler for the 460, till then I'm loving the 37c idle on this card, gonna cut my electricity bill when I'm downloading through the night.

---------- Post added at 08:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:22 AM ----------

@ TKIN do you have a intake fan at the PCIE slot ? Tha cabinet is nothing great. You need better cabby
A side intake blowing in the pci slots, but mukherjee's using an Zeb antibiotic cabby but his temps are lower, so I don't thinks its the issue, even if it is I'll get a CM 690.

PS: Look at this post I found, two different bioses for GTX460, one is an early production, but WHICH One??
St00pid Asus tech support - Page 2 - XtremeSystems Forums

---------- Post added at 08:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:28 AM ----------

Update:
Look at this screen, nVidia early build BIOS
*www.hardwarezone.com.ph/img/data/nnews/2010/16767/Image/gtx460.gif

Final BIOS:
*www.ozone3d.net/public/jegx/201007/gtx460_gpuz.jpg

Also look at the PCI spec, I've removed my card but I faintly remember my link registering as a PCIex16 on GPU Z rather than PCIe x16 2.0 as it shows for my 9800GTX+, the BIOS might be the issue here, the Vcore is too high, I'm waiting for mukherjee's feedback on load voltage(OCCT)

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.

a small query for everyone. if we work in document or just let the system run a virus scan, & the system have an accelerator. will it run in idle mode (draw idle power)? if not than when idle mode comes into play?
if u just do a virus scan then the system will b in idle mode...provided u dont
open any multitasking apps.....

Q:u r playing Burnout paradise now..so what u do exit....do u press F2 or F1 twice??? :smile:

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

Tkin,

The two BIOS' you are comparing, are they card from the same OEM..? Also regarding the link standard in GPU-Z it usually shows correct when you stress it. Even mine shows 1.1 @ 8, but when I stress the card, it moves to 2.0 @ 16 Link speed.

OFF TOPIC:
Who had wanted cabinet filters. I cannot remember. They have arrived with the dealer.

mukherjee

Treatment in progress...

URGENT ATTENTION!!
WTH? My GTX460 1GB is showing 94c on load(OCCT), the load voltage is 1.0370, mukherjee can you load OCCT and measure maximum load voltage? I think I need to RMA the card.

Well, my voltage is 0.9620V at load(3d settings)

*img227.imageshack.us/img227/4219/vol.gif

Also,have a look at the different profiles

*img121.imageshack.us/img121/7876/modes.png

Hope this helps.

Btw,i was using shader complexity 4 with OCCT.

Buddy,u can try this Palit bios update for GTX 460 here
I tried it and it said "no compatible device found" --that meant i was okay

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

@karan, just press ESC. than F1 3 times. u'll be taken to the menu for save games, exit, etc. but i unable experience the day-night cycle. its day all the time (using cars only. not bikes).

abhidev

Human Spambot

@karan, just press ESC. than F1 3 times. u'll be taken to the menu for save games, exit, etc. but i unable experience the day-night cycle. its day all the time (using cars only. not bikes).

hey i hv installed just cause 2...bu somehow m not able to save the game...any help?

Arnab boss

In the zone

@tkin bro i think i should wait for few months for my gpu now..wht say..??

had u contacted m.d coms for this..!!

tkin

Back to school!!

Well, my voltage is 0.9620V at load(3d settings)

*img227.imageshack.us/img227/4219/vol.gif

Also,have a look at the different profiles

*img121.imageshack.us/img121/7876/modes.png

Hope this helps.

Btw,i was using shader complexity 4 with OCCT.

Buddy,u can try this Palit bios update for GTX 460 here
I tried it and it said "no compatible device found" --that meant i was okay
Said the same for me too but my BIOS IS MESSED UP.
In my case the profiles were all messed up, the performance voltage was waaay too much @ 1.0370v, I think palit upped it in my new bios for OCing but I HATE THAT CRAP.

Also if you take a look at the pictures of the two cards you'll see something very interesting.

SONIC:
*img225.imageshack.us/img225/1817/dsc01456p.jpg
Anodized aluminum heatsink, no copper pipes.

SONIC PLATINUM:
*www.overclockersclub.com/vimages/palit_gtx460_sonic_platinum/17.jpg
Copper tubes and aluminium heatsink.
So this card not only has speed bump but also a better cooler, but in both case the cooler dumps the heat in the cabby, a problem for me, my hdd temps hit 42 yesterday and they kept rising, THIS IS WITH SIDE OPEN. UNACCEPTABLE, I need a dual slot cooler that dumps air outside the cabby. Aloha GTX460.

My GTX460 hit 95c with fan @ 100%, just unbelievable.

BUT THAT's ALL PAST NOW, JUST SOLD THE GTX460 for 13k(don't ask to whom) and got a XFX HD5850 for 15.9k+VAT, Pics coming soon, hoping that the Gray screen bug doesn't bite me, and GOODBYE PhysX(gonna miss you), I'm returning to ati camp again, also XFX has 3yrs full warranty here, something no other vendor gives.

funkysourav

What The.... !!!

^^^
well it seems that gtx 460 is a poor choice over hd5850 after all!
no wonder ati kicked out palit!!
sorry for all the trouble you had to undergo tkin!
but why didn't you try rma'ing the card?

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

^^
That baby will OC. Enjoy the games. I never liked the design of GTX460 -- no VRM heat sinks. Quite daft.

funkysourav

What The.... !!!

in terms of user experience ,
you'll find the HD5850 to be a more satisfying card
less noise,heat,power,
no physx,cuda(but who cares?)
more raw power!!!(that's what matters)

it seems to me that
ati produces good quality cards with occasional bad drivers
nvidia produces much hyped but mediocre cards with good drivers

tkin

Back to school!!

^^^
well it seems that gtx 460 is a poor choice over hd5850 after all!
no wonder ati kicked out palit!!
sorry for all the trouble you had to undergo tkin!
but why didn't you try rma'ing the card?
Very bad choice, hang the VRMs, even the memory chips are open, for chips that run @ 4GHZ its just unacceptable, theres 1cm gap between heatsink and memory chip, looks like nVidia built an excellent GPU but palit built a crap cooler for it, even the reference cooler has heat pipes but palit got rid of it, all the other GTX460s got heatpipes, palit got a crap fan and a crappier heatsink(anodized aluminum).

PS- Fan sounds like jet engine taking off, I could hear that even with a large fan spinning in my room.

I called the RMA center, they asked whether the card was fine or not, I said yes(should've said no) but said its overheating, they said its no problem and won't need RMA, I also think it won't need a RMA, after all fermi's throttle at 104c but this card WAS FROM HELL, it would've burnt my HDDs(42c and rising hdd temp), not to mention my northbridge(it was burning up last night), so I was disgusted and decided to get rid off it, got someone and got 13k(bought for 14k, just 1k hit but that's for trusting palit), NEVER BUY PALIT, atleast don't buy the custom cooler ones. No other GTX460 was available so last option was 5850, got it. This looks great, build quality is good, massive copper heat pipe based heatsink and all.

---------- Post added at 02:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:42 PM ----------

^^
That baby will OC. Enjoy the games. I never liked the design of GTX460 -- no VRM heat sinks. Quite daft.
Not just VRM even the memories are open.

---------- Post added at 02:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:44 PM ----------

^^to whom ?
Its a secret :wink: :lol:

---------- Post added at 02:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:45 PM ----------

in terms of user experience ,
you'll find the HD5850 to be a more satisfying card
less noise,heat,power,
no physx,cuda(but who cares?)
more raw power!!!(that's what matters)

it seems to me that
ati produces good quality cards with occasional bad drivers
nvidia produces much hyped but mediocre cards with good drivers
I'll test the OC out, but think this card lacks the voltage tweak(read in new egg), oh well you can't have everything, the reference one with voltage tweak isn't available here.

ATI(AMD)=Excellent card, mediocre driver
Partnet XFX=Good custom coolers(mines a custom two slot cooler) and support(3yrs full warranty).

nVidia=Good cards(a bit high on temps and power draw), excellent drivers(but Fallout 3 crashed continuously from 180-198 drivers)
Partner Palit=CRAP custom cooler, crap Bios(1.0370v?? WTH??), just 2yrs full warrany(+one year part).

mukherjee's very lucky to get a good card from palit, but anyone considering the GTX460 from palit don't get it unless you have a good case with a very good airflow, specially at the bottom.

Last edited:

funkysourav

What The.... !!!

^^^
well you're lucky to have sold the card for 1k hit(considering the heat!!)
if you want to overclock the card to insane levels(read unlocked multiplier)
flash the card's stock bios to asus bios(no idea how its done)
people in overclock.net use reference cards with flashed asus bios and a cheap 30$ aftermarket cooler
and overclock the crap out of it!!
seems like you made a lucky decision getting reference card
since more modifications are possible...

total damage?
2k-3k more for aftermarket cooler
and a little bit of innovation to go with it!!
good luck!!!

Top Bottom