Graphics Cards related queries here.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Re: All Graphics Cards related queries here.

@ichi, thanks for the info :smile:

@tkin, try get your hands on EVGA. it mayn't be available now but should be available soon. go for it. & be tensionfree.

funkysourav

What The.... !!!

are there any current bugs unresolved with hd 5770?
was the grayscreen prob fixed by ati?
was it hardware or driver problem?

tkin

Back to school!!

@ichi, thanks for the info :smile:

@tkin, try get your hands on EVGA. it mayn't be available now but should be available soon. go for it. & be tensionfree.
That's the issue, gonna mail Tirupati today, that's a hard card to get.

---------- Post added at 10:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 PM ----------

:-o:-o

does this gray screen issue still exist?
i was looking to buy an hd5770(hawk maybe)
is this a serious problem?
please elaborate the issue
will cancel if serious
After researching a lot I've come into a conclusion that there were initially two types of freezing issues, one due to driver, fixed since catalyst 10.4+, one was a hardware issue, something to do with card losing stability when underclocked in 2d mode(raising the 2d clocks helped), in some cases it crashed due a to a defective VRM(raising the voltage helped), the issue does not persist in the new bunch of cards but I think that the stock in India gonna be old cards from first lot, although the issue occurs in only 5% of the cards sold but I'm not gonna gamble, specially since RMA is a pain here and 16k is too much to gamble with.

Just google "Ati gray screen crash," for those unfortunate users who got the hardware bug they had to get new cards later or RMA those cards.

BTW catalyst 10.7 kills off the borderlands game(huge memory leak, ati admits it but no solution), and that's one of my most fav games, I play it regularly with my friend, so I seriously have doubts about the HD5850.

On the other hand GTX460 has no major issues yet, and all the drivers from nVidia has been pretty good so far(except the one with the overheat bug), the only problem is with the quality of the cards that are available here, EVGA is good but almost no presence here, Palit has major design issues, so does Zotac, Gigabyte and MSI looks nice but no idea about availability, gonna search market tomorrow.

Arnab boss

In the zone

hi guys...,after reading the hd5770 bug probs i am confused abt it...?i just ordered a msi r5770 hawk to m.d computers and they told ill get on thursday..,but now reading this i couldnt make up my mind.!!!!!!!!!!

guys anysuggestion in wht card to go for within 10k budget and 4yrs no upgrtade...!!

should i cancell the order or wait for more info..?

tkin

Back to school!!

hi guys...,after reading the hd5770 bug probs i am confused abt it...?i just ordered a msi r5770 hawk to m.d computers and they told ill get on thursday..,but now reading this i couldnt make up my mind.!!!!!!!!!!

guys anysuggestion in wht card to go for within 10k budget and 4yrs no upgrtade...!!

should i cancell the order or wait for more info..?
No, I think you're safe, the 5770 is based off the new Juniper chip, not the old cypress variant, the software bug has been fixed.

But still:
Just a simple google search: hd 5770 gray screen bug - Google Search
So its a gamble, try running OCCT, Furmark for 2hrs straight after getting it.

Piyush

Lanaya

After researching a lot I've come into a conclusion that there were initially two types of freezing issues, one due to driver, fixed since catalyst 10.4+, one was a hardware issue, something to do with card losing stability when underclocked in 2d mode(raising the 2d clocks helped), in some cases it crashed due a to a defective VRM(raising the voltage helped), the issue does not persist in the new bunch of cards but I think that the stock in India gonna be old cards from first lot, although the issue occurs in only 5% of the cards sold but I'm not gonna gamble, specially since RMA is a pain here and 16k is too much to gamble with.

Just google "Ati gray screen crash," for those unfortunate users who got the hardware bug they had to get new cards later or RMA those cards.

BTW catalyst 10.7 kills off the borderlands game(huge memory leak, ati admits it but no solution), and that's one of my most fav games, I play it regularly with my friend, so I seriously have doubts about the HD5850.

On the other hand GTX460 has no major issues yet, and all the drivers from nVidia has been pretty good so far(except the one with the overheat bug), the only problem is with the quality of the cards that are available here, EVGA is good but almost no presence here, Palit has major design issues, so does Zotac, Gigabyte and MSI looks nice but no idea about availability, gonna search market tomorrow.

thats a nice piece of info
thanks bro
bookmarked

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.

"Ati gray screen crash," for those unfortunate users who got the hardware bug they had to get new cards later or RMA those cards.

i hope im not one of those unfortunate user......:x

is ATI 10.7 ver good...???:-D

Piyush

Lanaya

according to Mercury Research's latest market share report for Q2 2010, and AMD’s results compared to the same period last year show that it's taken the lead over Nvidia.

- For the first time in four years, AMD has taken control of the discrete graphics market from Nvidia, with 51.1% market share, up 10.4 points from Q2 2009. In that same period, Nvidia lost 10.4 points.

- In the lucrative Desktop discrete market, AMD gained 11 points in the year, standing at 44.5% market share. This was a direct loss for Nvidia, who fell 10.9 points in the same period.

- In the fast growing mobile discrete market, AMD gained another 2.4 points, now standing at 56.3% market share.

Just tipping over half of the discrete graphics market share doesn't sound like much, considering Nvidia has the other 48.9 percent, but it's a trend that AMD hopes to continue.

Arnab boss

In the zone

hi
No, I think you're safe, the 5770 is based off the new Juniper chip, not the old cypress variant, the software bug has been fixed.

But still:
Just a simple google search: hd 5770 gray screen bug - Google Search
So its a gamble, try running OCCT, Furmark for 2hrs straight after getting it.
thans dude...;-) but after hearing this why take a risk...let wait and watch...:lol::lol::lol:

any other options in nvidia or ati which does not have any probs and service is good...;-)as i just got a good expirience from cooler master rma...:twisted::twisted: waited for amonth and then decieded to buy a corsair tx 650...:grin::grin::grin:

so do wanna take any risk in expensive hardwares as i lost 3.5k in the crappy xtreme 600w psu...:x:x

any suggestions welcome in gpu within 10k...:lol::lol::-D

tkin

Back to school!!

i hope im not one of those unfortunate user......:x

is ATI 10.7 ver good...???:-D
Wish you luck, the 10.7 is good but causes massive memory leak in Borderlands(specially with catalyst AI enabled), if you don't play that game then its ok.

tkin

Back to school!!

hi
thans dude...;-) but after hearing this why take a risk...let wait and watch...:lol::lol::lol:

any other options in nvidia or ati which does not have any probs and service is good...;-)as i just got a good expirience from cooler master rma...:twisted::twisted: waited for amonth and then decieded to buy a corsair tx 650...:grin::grin::grin:

so do wanna take any risk in expensive hardwares as i lost 3.5k in the crappy xtreme 600w psu...:x:x

any suggestions welcome in gpu within 10k...:lol::lol::-D
None yet, wait for GTX450, it falls right in the 5770 performance range as rumored, but be careful before buying any amd 5xxx series, although the bug affects 5% of the sales but that's a big risk, specially with the rma status here.

When my friend's CM 600w broke he took it to M.D and got a rma'ed psu right then for 500/-, costly but faster than waiting for a month. I'm gonna look for an EVGA or MSI GTX460 now, even Palit is ok(just the noise) but Zotac's custom heat sink with blower fan is crap. HD5850 falls in my budget but that's a big risk, I'll just have to research a bit more.

mukherjee

Treatment in progress...

Hey guys, its been a really long time since I've been active here, been hospitalized for a week, feeling really slumped, anyway I think its time I said goodbye to my 9800GTX+ and get something a bit faster.

My budget is 16k max, now, I'm eying HD5850 and GTX460, so far from reviews I've seen that:

HD5850 is about 5-10% faster than GTX460(1G @ 675MHz), the GF104 OC's better than HD5850 but the memory on the HD5850 can be OC'ed better(memory controller issue), But then again GTX460 supports PhysX, although proprietary but PhysX is used on many games now(Metro 2033, JC2, Mafia 2 and many more).

So suggest me, rumors are that southern islands(AMD 6xxx) will be a minor speed bump and new architectural changes are not coming till end of 2011, so should I wait or buy the GTX460 or the HD5850?

mukherjee, congrats for the purchase, looks damn nice, can you load up furmark(xtreme burning mode) and post the temps? And what's the warranty on that card? Any idea about availability of MSI Cyclone/ Palit Sonic Platinum model?

PS: I might end up selling the 9800GTX+ soon, its 1.5yrs old, still has 1.5yrs warranty left, running pretty damn fine, any idea about the price I can sell it for?

Hey,thanks!
What happened?Why were u hospitalized?U can tell me,thats my field of expertise!!! :lol:

And do u remember hw we fought over HD4850 and 9800GTX+ 2yrs back? :D

Well,its gud to be back.

Have a look here. It should answer a few of ur queries.
Also,post ur opinion.

And yes,I bought the GTX460 from M.D. Computers,it has a 2year warranty.

And I jus forgot to mention,I bought a Corsair VX550W to go with it......May be I'll overhaul the cpu+Mobo+Ram combo next year...so the extra wattage :)

Last edited:

tkin

Back to school!!

Hey,thanks!
What happened?Why were u hospitalized?U can tell me,thats my field of expertise!!! :lol:

And do u remember hw we fought over HD4850 and 9800GTX+ 2yrs back? :D

Well,its gud to be back.

Have a look here. It should answer a few of ur queries.
Also,post ur opinion.

And yes,I bought the GTX460 from M.D. Computers,it has a 2year warranty.

And I jus forgot to mention,I bought a Corsair VX550W to go with it......May be I'll overhaul the cpu+Mobo+Ram combo next year...so the extra wattage :)
Yea, its really good to be back again.

Well, I came down with an attack of Idiopathic acute pancreatitis, bilirubin levels rose a bit too, doctors weren't able to find a proper cause, also went to hyderabad(asian institute of gastroenterology), they couldn't find anything wrong either, must have been all the fried foods and soft drinks that I've been eating through the night while gaming :oops:, its ok now, but doctors advised me to lead a totally restricted life for the next 6 months atleast, can't eat biriyani or pepsi :cry::cry:.

Anyway can you answer a few questions for me?

1.When you bought the GTX460 were there any other models available?
2.Which cabinet are you using?
3.What's the load temperature? use this tool to check: Download - OCCT Website english

warning: this tool increases temperature beyond furmark levels, so keep an eye on your temps, specially since the memory chips are open.
4.Using MSI afterburner can you increase the voltage of the card?(is the option available?)

PS: Nice purchase, the corsair PSUs are awesome to say the least, also the GTX460 looks damn good, specially since it's so close to HD5850.

^^ don't keep vigil for long hours, once in 1996 I almost did not sleep for 3-4 months ( just 1-2 hrs) I had attack of hepatitis, with bilirubin levels short very high................

take care, eat only veg diet and do sleep well.

funkysourav

What The.... !!!

its ok now, but doctors advised me to lead a totally restricted life for the next 6 months atleast, can't eat biriyani or pepsi :cry::cry:.
dude you'll definitely cry if you hear the diet i am following for the past 8 months or so...:|
dont worry be happy:smile:
and yeah avoid pepsi coca cola like plague :-D

---------- Post added at 08:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 PM ----------

I almost did not sleep for 3-4 months ( just 1-2 hrs)
:shock::shock:
1-2 hours sleep/day for 4 months!!!
were you out of your mind dude!!!
sleep well dude(i sleep 7.5 hours every day now, doctor's advise:smile:)
and you wont have many health problems :-D

dude you'll definitely cry if you hear the diet i am following for the past 8 months or so...:|
dont worry be happy:smile:
and yeah avoid pepsi coca cola like plague :-D

---------- Post added at 08:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 PM ----------

:shock::shock:
1-2 hours sleep/day for 4 months!!!
were you out of your mind dude!!!
sleep well dude(i sleep 7.5 hours every day now, doctor's advise:smile:)
and you wont have many health problems :-D

lol, it was in 1996- was experimenting on myself,
anyways am light sleeper, now a days 4-6 hrs max...............

funkysourav

What The.... !!!

lol, it was in 1996- was experimenting on myself,
anyways am light sleeper, now a days 4-6 hrs max...............
check this link!!
4-6 hours not enough
make it 7-7.5 hrs
Sleep deprivation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

tkin

Back to school!!

^^ don't keep vigil for long hours, once in 1996 I almost did not sleep for 3-4 months ( just 1-2 hrs) I had attack of hepatitis, with bilirubin levels short very high................

take care, eat only veg diet and do sleep well.
I've been sleeping only for a few hours for the last 5 months or so before the attack, so I think that its the main cause of my problem, but I'm not a doctor, maybe mukherjee can comment on that, also my cholesterol and triglycerides increased a bit, got some fat in my liver so been busy getting rid of that. I miss chips and pepsi so much.

mukherjee

Treatment in progress...

I've been sleeping only for a few hours for the last 5 months or so before the attack, so I think that its the main cause of my problem, but I'm not a doctor, maybe mukherjee can comment on that, also my cholesterol and triglycerides increased a bit, got some fat in my liver so been busy getting rid of that. I miss chips and pepsi so much.

Hmmm,well sleeping for less than 5hrs is a sure way to deplete ur glycogen stores, and send ur cortisol,adrenaline & noradrenaline balance haywire,not to mention the altered biological clock due altered pineal gland function. (forgv me for saying all this...this is jus to inform the techies hw nt to harm urslves)
this will cause indigestion and yes,when ur tummy is upset,the whole body can jus collapse.And taking all these junk food,with trans saturated fats,our poor exercise habits,yes,a pancreatitis is possible.

Yea, its really good to be back again.
Well, I came down with an attack of Idiopathic acute pancreatitis, bilirubin levels rose a bit too, doctors weren't able to find a proper cause, also went to hyderabad(asian institute of gastroenterology), they couldn't find anything wrong either, must have been all the fried foods and soft drinks that I've been eating through the night while gaming :oops:, its ok now, but doctors advised me to lead a totally restricted life for the next 6 months atleast, can't eat biriyani or pepsi :cry::cry:.

Anyway can you answer a few questions for me?

1.When you bought the GTX460 were there any other models available?
2.Which cabinet are you using?
3.What's the load temperature? use this tool to check: Download - OCCT Website english

warning: this tool increases temperature beyond furmark levels, so keep an eye on your temps, specially since the memory chips are open.
4.Using MSI afterburner can you increase the voltage of the card?(is the option available?)

PS: Nice purchase, the corsair PSUs are awesome to say the least, also the GTX460 looks damn good, specially since it's so close to HD5850.

yes,please take care of urself,and sleep more to keep healthy.

1. No,no others were available.
2.Zeb antibiotic cabby
3.Will post soon
4.Yes,MSI afterburner can change the voltage after unlocking the option.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

guys just now installed the HD5670. disabled IGP in bios & set the first display to PEG. returned to XP. ran GPU_Z. no graphics details. its completely blank. tried installing the Catalyst & XP restarts. should i clear CMOS & try again or what the problem? any idea?

Top Bottom