Graphics Cards related queries here.

tkin

Back to school!!
Re: All Graphics Cards related queries here.

^^^
well you're lucky to have sold the card for 1k hit(considering the heat!!)
if you want to overclock the card to insane levels(read unlocked multiplier)
flash the card's stock bios to asus bios(no idea how its done)
people in overclock.net use reference cards with flashed asus bios and a cheap 30$ aftermarket cooler
and overclock the crap out of it!!
seems like you made a lucky decision getting reference card
since more modifications are possible...

total damage?
2k-3k more for aftermarket cooler
and a little bit of innovation to go with it!!
good luck!!!
Oh no, i got the non reference one(center mounted fan), looks a lot like sapphire Vapor-x cooler, lacks software voltage control but some says run super cool, this part got 5 star in new egg.
Newegg.com - XFX HD-585X-ZAFC Radeon HD 5850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ Eyefinity

mac_blast's

Right off the assembly line

Hi guys I have to purchase a new Graphics card my budget is ~13K can you please advice me some good cards basically for playing games.
I am currently using a C2D procc. 2.19ghz, 1GB ram, intel D945GCNL mobo and have an I ball PSU which came with the cabby.

mukherjee

Treatment in progress...

mukherjee's very lucky to get a good card from palit, but anyone considering the GTX460 from palit don't get it unless you have a good case with a very good airflow, specially at the bottom.

Boy oh boy, I guess the early bird got the best 'yummy' card!!!

I just went OMG with ur temps!!! Mine is doing good tho...next time...no Palit for me.

Just one question frnz, will my card be alright?

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

@tkin, man you on a blast. you using your brain like a PC :lol: making decisions on the fly. and its a very good decision to sell that faulty card. and that XFX cards looks good (the sticker & the fan design rocks). hope it doesn't come up with any problem any soon. congrats again.

@mac_blast's, you need change few things before going for a card to get good result. heres few change to your existing system:

Proccy: try OC the processor to 2.5Ghz on the stock cooler (if that motherboard allows)
Ram: upgrade it to 2Gb minimum.
PSU: get a Corsair CX400W or Gigabyte 460W/FSP Saga II 400W (must change to avoid having a blown up system).
Graphics Card: get any HD5770 based card. look for Sapphire/PowerColor card for 9k or so.

Total will cost you ~13k, depending on your personal choices & from where you buy it from.

mac_blast's

^^Thanks buddy for the suggestions for the PSU I am planning to get FSP saga II 500W(kept 3k for it aside apart from 13K ;P) and yes i had planned to get a ram upgrade but before that i was thinking to buy a strong GPU and add 1/2GB ram more(old DDR2 one) later for the GPU I was more interested in the new Nvidia 460 GTX many friends recommended it to me but after reading few tkin's post and his awesome experience with Palit 460 GTX i am a little scared to buy which model of 460 is MSI ok??

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

thats excellent than :smile:

thats the reason i not even asked you sell little more for the 768Mb version. all the GTX460s available currently here are having problems. best bet is EVGA. but sadly, it isn't available here for now. can go for MSI one. but currently its really hard to recommend a GTX460. cause which card will have problem, nobody can say. tkin & mukherjee, both have(had) the same card. & see one heats up while the other one runs fairly cool. so, i'll say go with a HD5770 & be safe.

mac_blast's

Well thanks for the advice HD 5770 is no doubt a good card on the other hand what im seein is that Nvidia produced a good card but its partner(Palit) screwed it up as the card runs very hot. I scanned through many reviews of MSI N460GTX Cyclone 1GD5 all of them rate it a a good product and many said it has a High end heatsink and is pretty Quiet unlike Palit's 460 its temp are also comparatively low(u can see the pics attached, taken frm G3D )

View attachment 3646

View attachment 3645

On one hand I have a good reliable HD5770 on another GTX 460 + special Physx eyecany + I have no clue how good are MSI guys customer service IN INDIA!!
So overall in short Im CONFUSED!!
yelp!!

tkin

Back to school!!

Well thanks for the advice HD 5770 is no doubt a good card on the other hand what im seein is that Nvidia produced a good card but its partner(Palit) screwed it up as the card runs very hot. I scanned through many reviews of MSI N460GTX Cyclone 1GD5 all of them rate it a a good product and many said it has a High end heatsink and is pretty Quiet unlike Palit's 460 its temp are also comparatively low(u can see the pics attached, taken frm G3D )

View attachment 3646

View attachment 3645

On one hand I have a good reliable HD5770 on another GTX 460 + special Physx eyecany + I have no clue how good are MSI guys customer service IN INDIA!!
So overall in short Im CONFUSED!!
yelp!!
Ok, I suggest the HD5770, but the issue of gray screen crash exists(albeit on a few cards, specially the first lot), I haven't hooked up my HD5850 yet(probably a new lot, says ver 3.1 on the box) but hope I'll not get that issue, so take a leap of faith.

PS- PhysX eyecandy has a massive toll on GPUs, in both Metro 2033 and Dark Void cranking up the PhysX brings the almighty GTX480 to its knees, so with a GTX460 you'll not be able to enjoy the eyecandy, I will not miss it, but I do miss CUDA(core codec H.264 decoder) but palit is too damn unreliable, putting massive volts on cards and then unable to provide cooling for it.

PS- MSI has really good customer service for mobos but no idea about GPU, ask the retailer directly.

---------- Post added at 08:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 PM ----------

thats excellent than :smile:

thats the reason i not even asked you sell little more for the 768Mb version. all the GTX460s available currently here are having problems. best bet is EVGA. but sadly, it isn't available here for now. can go for MSI one. but currently its really hard to recommend a GTX460. cause which card will have problem, nobody can say. tkin & mukherjee, both have(had) the same card. & see one heats up while the other one runs fairly cool. so, i'll say go with a HD5770 & be safe.
Actually mukherjee has card from a different lot, in his case card remains stable @ the low load volts but mine must be crashing, that's why the extra stock voltage, I looked up everywhere, in all cases the Voltage at load for the GTX460 never goes this high, the fermi GF100 generates a lot of heat to begin with, palit has no idea how to cool cards, the GTX480/470 loads up to 97c but all the heat goes out through the back, so it works good and keep the case cool, but palit is nuts.

My Palit GTX460 1GB OCCT, just look at it:
*img293.imageshack.us/img293/1324/2010080600h48gpu1.png

The temp dropped to 93 after removing the side panel and blowing in a TABLE FAN, just imagine the horror :x:x:evil::evil::shock::shock:

ITS NOT COOLING. THE CARD IS FAULTY TO BEGIN WITH(actually the VGA BIOS IS FAULTY).

IDLE was ok.
*img213.imageshack.us/img213/4618/20100805233931.png

---------- Post added at 08:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 PM ----------

Boy oh boy, I guess the early bird got the best 'yummy' card!!!

I just went OMG with ur temps!!! Mine is doing good tho...next time...no Palit for me.

Just one question frnz, will my card be alright?
Run OCCT for 2hrs straight, if it starts to throttle then its faulty otherwise its ok.
Also keep an eye on your other peripheral temperatures, use hwmonitor, that palit almost melt my northbridge and hdds.

funkysourav

What The.... !!!

^^^
you didn't try flashing the vga bios to the new one did you?
heard that helps a lot.

tkin

Back to school!!

^^^
you didn't try flashing the vga bios to the new one did you?
heard that helps a lot.
Oh there Palit goes again with utter crap, when I run the Palit VGA Upadater tool is says update not needed, it said the same with mukherjee, we have different bioses(either mine or his is latest), so either one is old, so why is bios updater saying that?

tkin

Back to school!!

Got it in, the XFX HD5850 is breathing in my system, back to ati camp again.

Card Info:
*img576.imageshack.us/img576/4426/20100806234113.jpg

IDLE:
*img686.imageshack.us/img686/2863/20100806234208.jpg

LOAD:
*img338.imageshack.us/img338/7412/20100806234650.jpg

OCCT FPS with shader complexity 8:
*img819.imageshack.us/img819/1835/20100806234451.jpg

Although load is 90c but fan is just 53%, +most of the air is ejected outside by the card, system super cool again, sweeeet.

tkin

Back to school!!

whats that tab"powercolor giveaway" has?
You sign up there, then they choose some people through lottery and give them powercolor GPUs away, people from all over the world can apply, even from india, you can too, you don't even need to possess a discrete GPU for this but the chances are winning are super slim at best.

mac_blast's

k guys one more query i do admit it is a little dope but her goes
these days many mobile companies are selling their phones on EMI similarly I saw one online website Techshop.in who is selling graphics card on EMI but it prices were pretty high. So is there any companies within Nehru Place,Delhi/NCR who sells graphics card on EMI coz my dad is forcing me to first get a mobile then later get a G-card by this I would be able to get both of them in one shot!!

quad_core

CyberdyneSystems Model101

Hi Guys..

Is there any news of 5770's price getting lowered? I am really confused, as i read that Nvidia will release gtx450 ( i m not sure) , and when its released, i think it will be better than 5770 . Anyway , I wanted to go for gtx460 768mb, but i think the 768mb version is not available currently in india :(

One more question :
Also, does any one know the price of 5830? heard that its price got reduced.My cousin has a phenom x6 , and vx450 .. will that vx450 be enough for 5830?And which is best partner for 5830. Does this one also have grey screen problem like 5770?( man, this problem is putting me off from getting a 5770 hawk :x ) ..

funkysourav

What The.... !!!

Hi Guys..

Is there any news of 5770's price getting lowered? I am really confused, as i read that Nvidia will release gtx450 ( i m not sure) , and when its released, i think it will be better than 5770 . Anyway , I wanted to go for gtx460 768mb, but i think the 768mb version is not available currently in india :(

One more question :
Also, does any one know the price of 5830? heard that its price got reduced.My cousin has a phenom x6 , and vx450 .. will that vx450 be enough for 5830?And which is best partner for 5830. Does this one also have grey screen problem like 5770?( man, this problem is putting me off from getting a 5770 hawk :x ) ..

grey screen prob(software bug) has been resolved by newer catalyst revisions
but there still is the hardware bug in the some older stock reference card (faulty memory chips)
just make sure you get a non reference card, and you''ll be good to go
get MSI HAWK HD5770@9.3k(prime abgb)

---------- Post added at 12:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:20 PM ----------

vx 450 will be enough for hd5850,5830,5870 in a system with intel i5 750 and stock voltages
check it out in corsair psu finder!!

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

@quad_core, currently HD5830 & all the GTX460s avl here are bad buys. stay away from them. GTS450 will release by October at soonest. so make the decision based on it.

Top Bottom