Got an ipad 3, very disappointed - it's just not that great for an Indian context

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sujeet

Undead!!!
I'm not sure why any kind of criticism towards tablets is met with the assumption of trolling or "but you should have got a laptop". It's not about me, so why I personally got an ipad is completely irrelevant.

Read your points about Diablo 3,COD etc you will understand why your post is being referred to as Troll-A Big One IMO.

I'm basically saying that a netbook or small laptop makes a lot more sense than a tablet right now in the Indian market. On the other end of the mobility scale smartphones naturally have a definite purpose, but tablets don't really have a specific use yet, especially in India.
Thats you.Its your Personal Choice and Views.Dont expect it to be accepted by other without Debate.

Nothing in this world has anything specific to be used for unless a person wills otherwise.
In your case you are seem too stubborn to do it that way.

The point was that 16/32/64GB is miniscule when netbooks that cost less have far more storage space. The ipad is supposed to be a media consumption device and media takes a lot of space. Not having USB support is bizarre when it's so easy to have tons of media on an external hard drive or an external cd/dvd drive.

Only one thing.Just waiting for you to create another tread titlead "Why Ultrabooks are not good in Indian context" with you listing tons of sh@t about it and in some where in between that i will get to read this "128/256 gb SSD is too miniscule when notebooks are available............."

The point is tablets aren't *that* mobile. A smartphone is, and if you can carry around a tablet, why not just carry a netbook or small laptop ?
A smartphone can do pretty much everything that a tablet can so what exactly is the requirement for a tablet ?
I think you took the name of device bit too seriously with respect to its form factor.Right??
I mean you can chew or swallow tablet right..then why you have to carry around a Device named Tablet in arms.Right??

Piracy is an "indian" problem given how extremely rampant it is. Not only are Indians used to piracy, there are dozens of foreign films and TV shows that are simply unavailable in India which forces you to pirate. Extremely limited codec support means that watching them on your ipad is a chore.
Indians gave birth to Piracy!?.Indian are the Greatest Pirates.!

Is this all you wanted to point with that.Do you think that needs a telling of yours....Period.

Last edited:

Sarath

iDota
When the iPad came out, people simply called it just a big apple ipod. Rightly said in a limited view.

It is an upgrade from a multi-purpose device like a PMP or a smart phone rather than an upgrade from a laptop or netbook.

Also most people who have a tablet already have either a home PC or a laptop. A smartphone can be bought for 8k now-a-days (HTC Explorer -anti-nit picking). AFAIK most people would want a better phone and a good home PC before splurging in a tablet etc.

Most of what I wanted to say is in the post above, quoting again for your convenience.
your argument is that tablets are useless for everyone because you don't have a use for it. don't worry about what "everyone else" should use
a similar statement would be nobody needs dSLRs because prosumers are better in most circumstances

there can be no assumptions on how someone else may use a specific device, because these devices are extremely personal, you settled down to use it as an ebook reader, others may find some such niche use and be happy

I have an iPad 2. As someone who cannot stand Apple's close eco-system, I have found it to be very useful. Be it the free Engadget's distro, which are beautifully executed, to reading pdfs of my Txt Bs with ease, to doing facetime which is completely hasslefree, to getting my e-mail pushed into it and clocking 4 hours of youtube everyday and recently watching anime after converting it to apple's holy format, to getting access to all my files on the cloud using dropbox, it's been a pretty comfortable experience.

You can see, I am very happy because I am not asking of it more than what it can do. At 30k a device should be able to do more. But I am not complaining, I knew what it was and it's shortcomings before hand, rather for years.

It all boils down to personal preference and the amount of research that goes into buying a device.

I am sitting on my PC, (...10sec later), yes, my router is hot, my UPS is hot, both their adapters are also hot, even my PSU is hot and the GFX vents are hot, monitors pretty cold. So if an Apple 10W charger is getting hot while charging, I don't see why that becomes such a big deal.

It's alright I suppose. For me personally, the lack of a good file explorer was crippling. A good example I talked about is deleting entire folders, and seeing exactly how much space your photos are occupying.

Oh I can definitely see that tablets would be appealing to some people; but there are definite problems to a device like the ipad that is marketed to be a laptop replacement, when it's not.

Yup, that's the thing; it's a niche device. It's definitely not something that the typical user would want. In India the average computer user is a lot more of a "power user" than the US. It's actually quite surprising how stupid some american users are, so very simplistic devices are more appropriate there. Just something to consider. In the USA there are people that are very ordinary/barely uneducated people using smart devices. Compare that to the demographic of people buying them here in India. It's fair to assume that the typical Indian tech consumer is a lot more comfortable with things that americans would call "nerdy".

Indian and American markets are *VERY* different. There's a lot of denial about this in the media and even here. The typical Indian consumer of IT devices is almost definitely a lot smarter, and there are major issues like cost, piracy and crappy internet. A lot of these aren't issues outside of India. Gaming for example is almost non-existent in India, yet another thing with a lot of denial in the media.

Agreed. That's one of the reasons I have one. I just pointed out some obvious deficiencies specific to the ipad and tablets in general.

Your statements are filled with signs of ignorance and lack of research.

As usual, the gross extrapolation of intelligences across continents and their crude comparison based on no feasible statistics is appalling.

To summaries, your entire post went from being highly useful to a new iPad buyer to a completely misleading and personal rant, of course, with a few very valid points in the mix.

OP
K

Krystie

Broken In
AFAIK most people would want a better phone and a good home PC before splurging in a tablet etc.
This is basically what I'm trying to say.

It just seems to make a lot more sense to get a better laptop, or a mini-latpop or a netbook. Perhaps even a galaxy note or a similar device.
Something like the transformer prime might be a good idea but prices are ridiculous right now.

Apple hasn't really made much of a dent in the Indian market, and in the desktop/laptop market in India they are all but non-existent.

Perhaps I'm generalizing but compared to the typical American user, Indian buyers are far more comfortable with technology and have zero issues with PC/Windows "complexity". What americans think as "nerdy" is perfectly normal in India.

In America you'll see the working-class with smartphones and tablets, so it's expected that their expertise with such devices is fairly limited. This is why they want something like Apple that "just works".

In America ordinary non-technical people buy such devices, this rarely happens here. Many people in america don't pirate because they actually don't know how; or are scared of viruses because of piss poor computer security awareness.

Your statements are filled with signs of ignorance and lack of research.
ignorance and lack of research about what ? It's obvious observations about the typical american consumer. It's not really hard to see if you've been there for a couple of years, or sift through their online community.
Can you elaborate on how what I say is "misleading" ?

There is a lot of discussion about tablets, but very few take the indian context into consideration; this is exactly what this kind of thread is for.

gross extrapolation of intelligences across continents

It's not really. In India you're not going to see barbers, garbage collectors, or industrial/factory/retail workers with smart devices.
In America you do. It's fairly obvious that the typical consumer of a smart device in India is very very different from the typical consumer in America.

1) The typical Indian IT consumer is a lot more "nerdy" and tech-savvy; probably totally at home with a PC. Having extreme user-friendliness isn't a huge draw like it is amongst the typical american jock demographic.

2) Piracy is rampant

3) Internet in India is abysmal.

You don't need statistics to infer the above really.

Anyway the point is devices like PC's, laptops, netbooks and smartphones have an instantly obvious demand from almost any user. A tablet really doesn't really fill any specific requirement. It falls more into the category of a "toy for a big boy". It's a niche product, especially in India.
And there's a ton of misleading marketing about devices like the ipad; many of which simply don't apply in India.

I am sitting on my PC, (...10sec later), yes, my router is hot, my UPS is hot, both their adapters are also hot, even my PSU is hot and the GFX vents are hot, monitors pretty cold. So if an Apple 10W charger is getting hot while charging, I don't see why that becomes such a big deal.
Well overheating of the charger is a minor issue obviously. It was just an example of apple's form over function design, where they use a usb cord plugged into an AC adapter to draw power.
Overheating of the ipad in general is somewhat of an issue especially playing games.

Last edited:

Sujeet

Undead!!!
this is basically what i'm trying to say.

It just seems to make a lot more sense to get a better laptop, or a mini-latpop or a netbook. Perhaps even a galaxy note or a similar device.
Something like the transformer prime might be a good idea but prices are ridiculous right now.

Apple hasn't really made much of a dent in the indian market, and in the desktop/laptop market in india they are all but non-existent.

Perhaps i'm generalizing but compared to the typical american user, indian buyers are far more comfortable with technology and have zero issues with pc/windows "complexity". What americans think as "nerdy" is perfectly normal in india.

In america you'll see the working-class with smartphones and tablets, so it's expected that their expertise with such devices is fairly limited. This is why they want something like apple that "just works".

In america ordinary non-technical people buy such devices, this rarely happens here. Many people in america don't pirate because they actually don't know how; or are scared of viruses because of piss poor computer security awareness.

ignorance and lack of research about what ?

of not being able to find a device that suits your need and ending up spending bombs on what you like to hate.

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl
Op is not trolling,he is not satisfied with the ipad.some of the points op mentioned are reasonable...wait ..did he say cd/dvd drive in ipad?hm now u know:D

tkin

Back to school!!
Well, I will say your mistake. You should have checked out what it has or doesn't have before buying it. Do it next time instead of running to the store like a monkey the first day it is released. :(

1. 16 GB is small yes. If you wanted more space you should have bought 32 or 64 GB models.
4. The Ipad is a 10 inch tablet Goddamnit!! Not a 4 inch phone that you can stuff in you pocket. And its not meant to be used that way.
10. you are comparing am iOS tablet with a windows PC? Are you high, dude?
12. Call of Duty on a tablet. Please tell me what you are smoking.
18. Flash days are over dude. Its HTML5 now.
21 & 22. Are you f**king kidding me?
Oh yeah :lol:

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl
Op is not trolling,he is not satisfied with the ipad.some of the points op mentioned are reasonable...wait ..did he say cd/dvd support in ipad?hm now u know:D

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
barbers, garbage collectors, or industrial/factory/retail workers

no blue-tooth, that's a deal breaker right there
no memory card, another deal breaker

that's it... these guiz are never gonna buy an iPad

anyone using an iPad, and they find out that you cant send that song over blue-tooth, that's it, brain melt, cannot figure out how such a good device does not have blue-tooth

k
<snip>

OP
K

Krystie

Broken In
of not being able to find a device that suits your need and ending up spending bombs on what you like to hate.

It's not about me buying the ipad 3. I got it for reasons other than my own personal liking. I was generally talking about the ipad and tablets in general and how relevant they are in the Indian market.

ritvij

rated R

anyone using an iPad, and they find out that you cant send that song over blue-tooth, that's it, brain melt, cannot figure out how such a good device does not have blue-tooth

+100.. i was trying to explain to my uncle the transfer of files via iTunes and he was like.. :O
buy a thing after researching about it not just watching some iffy commercials!

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl

lol..this is an Epic thread.

mohsin20

Broken In
i dont know whats the fuss about. its a fantastic device to own. bought one for 46500 the 64gb wifi and 4g version and i am loving it.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
gifted iPads are 16GB
people who buy it for themselves get at least 32GB
amirite?

sometimes ppl's offices pay for "a tablet", and they shell out the diff for the nearest iPad

seen a few of these devices being given away because ppl didnt know what to do with them

also seen a few who refuse to pay for apps, but otherwise continue to use

think this is a prolem with tech, did we really use all the features of the devices 4-6 generations ago? (phone/tablet/console generations, not ppls). the device is never used to its full potential. transaction options for services, which directly affect the quality of services, and the subscriber base that makes these services viable... these change in every generation of devices

devilsalive

Broken In
The problem with the apple device owner is that, they will justify their overpriced purchase by telling some bullsh!t, so when they saw one of them asking questions about the capability of this hyped, over-priced device, they term this as troll.

He just wanted his "premium" device to be a bit more flexible, was it a lot to ask.

Yes, we Indians are pirates, but what apple is doing is loot. :p

noob

Cyborg Agent
After reading entire thread, i don't think OP is trolling. He is posting his point of view which i agree except the CD/DVD thing.

R2K

In the Zone
This is basically what I'm trying to say.

Apple hasn't really made much of a dent in the Indian market, and in the desktop/laptop market in India they are all but non-existent.

Perhaps I'm generalizing but compared to the typical American user, Indian buyers are far more comfortable with technology and have zero issues with PC/Windows "complexity". What americans think as "nerdy" is perfectly normal in India.

In America you'll see the working-class with smartphones and tablets, so it's expected that their expertise with such devices is fairly limited. This is why they want something like Apple that "just works".

In America ordinary non-technical people buy such devices, this rarely happens here. Many people in america don't pirate because they actually don't know how; or are scared of viruses because of piss poor computer security awareness.

ignorance and lack of research about what ? It's obvious observations about the typical american consumer. It's not really hard to see if you've been there for a couple of years, or sift through their online community.
Can you elaborate on how what I say is "misleading" ?

There is a lot of discussion about tablets, but very few take the indian context into consideration; this is exactly what this kind of thread is for.

It's not really. In India you're not going to see barbers, garbage collectors, or industrial/factory/retail workers with smart devices.
In America you do. It's fairly obvious that the typical consumer of a smart device in India is very very different from the typical consumer in America

1) The typical Indian IT consumer is a lot more "nerdy" and tech-savvy; probably totally at home with a PC. Having extreme user-friendliness isn't a huge draw like it is amongst the typical american jock demographic.

2) Piracy is rampant

3) Internet in India is abysmal.

You don't need statistics to infer the above really.

Anyway the point is devices like PC's, laptops, netbooks and smartphones have an instantly obvious demand from almost any user. A tablet really doesn't really fill any specific requirement. It falls more into the category of a "toy for a big boy". It's a niche product, especially in India.
And there's a ton of misleading marketing about devices like the ipad; many of which simply don't apply in India.

Well overheating of the charger is a minor issue obviously. It was just an example of apple's form over function design, where they use a usb cord plugged into an AC adapter to draw power.
Overheating of the ipad in general is somewhat of an issue especially playing games.

Looks like you are terribly misinformed... my friend:shock:
(Sorry for going off-topic BTW)
US people buy all those softwares not only because they are afraid of malwares or security issues but because they can end up in big trouble if law enforcement people get to know about it. Piracy is considered to be on the same league as theft in that country. Also majority of those people have have enough money to buy genuine softwares.

And about the working class people enjoying high end gadgets and lifestyle- Those people are paid relatively good wages considering the amount of time they work unlike in India. And do you know that majority of those "hip looking" people are actually buried in insane amount of credit card debts. Indians are more budget conscious and don't buy stuff they can't afford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom