Got an ipad 3, very disappointed - it's just not that great for an Indian context

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krystie

Broken In
I recently got an ipad 3 and I'm very very disappointed. Specifically for an Indian scenario the ipad just isn't the right device. Perhaps there are less issues if you are used to other apple products and their overall design philosophy of form over function.

In the end after the initial shock wore off I resigned to the fact that it was a decent ebook reader and casual web reader.

1) The ipad has extremely limited storage space. 16GB is peanuts. That's like 2 hi-res photo albums or 6 movies. Do not think it will double up as a photo repository where you store tons of photos. This is an incredibly wrong heavily marketed myth.

2) Copying files (music/video) from your PC to the ipad isn't trivial. You have to use itunes - bloatware that constantly crashes. You can't easily copy files one-way and every time you copy stuff you have to "synch" - this essentially means backing up 16GB of data every time. If you have your OS on your PC on an SSD this is a nightmare (you'll have to mess around with symlinks or a variety of 3rd party apps).

3) The ipad has very poor support for different media file types. If you download a movie in .mkv, .divx, .flv or music in .ogg it won't play. You have to convert the video on your PC to an accepted format to watch it on an ipad. Conversion even on a high end PC can take 10-15 minutes per file. Since in India a lot of the media content is from questionable sources and bandwidth is an issue; high compression encodings are commonplace. Not being able to access them on an ipad is painful. Just forget about watching your favorite american TV shows on the ipad. Not only is space a problem file conversion is too much of a pain for it to be worth the trouble (I'm watching Game of Thrones, Community and the Wire currently - not on the ipad lol).

4) The ipad isn't really as portable as claimed - it's quite heavy and doesn't fit in your pocket. You can't really easily carry it around with you. It's not that amazing for bedtime reading since after a while your hands will ache holding it up. It doesn't in any way replace a book, for example. Since you'll want to rest it on a flat surface anyway, why not just get a laptop ?

5) Since Apple is firmly against all forms of pirated content and software; if we are to be realistic in an Indian scenario the consequences aren't too pretty. Apple intentionally cripples its own OS and has premium apps to do very basic things. So you're looking at a steady stream of $5-10 to do basic things.

6) Typing on an ipad isn't comfortable. Apple doesn't even want to make it easier and won't allow apps like swype to streamline typing. You can buy a detachable keyboard but that's around $50-60.

7) Although the screen is extremely high res; the touch screen isn't very precision at all. You will frequently misclick stuff and this is really annoying on slow indian connections. You can't really use a stylus pen properly because of the piss poor accuracy.

9) There is no back button like smartphones/android devices/PC.

10) Multitasking is really awkward. Although the ipad3 supports multitasking, it's not even close to what you would expect from a windows PC. Not having a task manager or control over apps to shut them down is annoying.

11) The Browser isn't that good. Neither safari or dolphin (the favorite web browser app) come anywhere close to the likes of IE9, Opera, Firefox or even Chrome. It's really odd that there's opera mini for smartphones but none for the ipad.

12) Gaming. Although it's not really something Indians do; it begs mention since gaming is such a heavily marketed feature. Gaming on the ipad is abysmal. You only have access to a handful of free games, and even then the games are terrible casual garbage like angry birds or 1 minute bejewelled. Don't expect to play diablo 3 or call of duty type games.

13) Completely locked in to Apple verified apps since the ipad 3 isn't jailbroken yet.

14) Since voltage fluctuations are common in India the charger (which hilariously uses a USB cord lulz) gets incredibly hot.

15) Photo management. If you have a hi-res SLR or prosumer camera; copying files to the ipad is a pain. First off you need a camera connection kit which is $20-30. There is little control on what is being copied and you'll fill up your pathetic 16 gigs from 1 set of pics from your camera. It won't be compressed so each image will be 5-6 megs.
On top of all this once you copy, say, 500 photos. There's no easy way to delete lots of them (say you take a bunch of shots, some are trash and you want to delete them, or you want to delete an entire folder). You have to select each file and delete individually. There is no select all or delete all option. Laughable isn't it ?

16) Gaming - emulators. Many people enjoy playing 8/16 bit games of yesteryear on mobile devices laptops (old school mario, zelda etc). Again apple dislikes the legal implications of these so completely disallows any kind of emulation.

17) Abysmal free app support. Unlike android free apps aren't all that good. Most "free" apps are shabby trialware or shareware type stuff.

18) Does not support flash. Neither dolphin nor safari support flash and this means tons of websites won't show animations or just not work at all. It's not really something you can ignore when current tablet hardware can quite easily support flash.

19) No USB support - you can't connect thumb drives, printers, gamepads, mice or any USB device.

20) Lack of a good file explorer. It's hard to tell how much space is taken up by what, organizing files and managing/deleting them. It's trivial on an android smartphone; not so much on an ipad.

21) No cd/dvd support. Want to watch a movie on a dvd ? well sorry f%^% you.

22) No support for ADSL/DSL or thumbdrive wifi (no usb :D). This means you have to buy a fairly expensive wifi router for your ipad. But be warned indian buildings with reinforced concrete floors+pillars and brick and mortar walls are terrible for wifi penetration.

23) Does not support comic book reader file types or certain features in pdfs. Takes a lot of time (20+ seconds)to load images in large pdfs (100mb+).

24) iCloud - another heavily marketed but totally pointless feature in an India context; along with all forms of cloud computing which receives considerable media hype. What's the point of storing massive amounts of data online when internet is a)slow b) limited and c) expensive ?
These things make start making sense with unlimited 20 Mbps or higher connections. Not on sh1tty 1mbps lines with pathetic limits (FUP), horrible packet loss, jitter and latency.

25) Crappy network management. There's no way to easily check what apps are using the internet, what's being downloaded or updated and so on; it just "happens". There's a lack of control.
There isn't an easy to figure out network strength/packet loss on Wifi : on a laptop I can quickly pull up a ping or run d3tr and see if something is wrong with my connection; then reconnect to get a new gateway. Not really feasible on the ipad. Again, tablets are 1st world devices where bandwidth is a non-issue.

26) Weak Wifi receiver. The ipad 3 isn't good at picking up weak wifi signals. You'll find that a laptop can easily pick them up but the ipad can't. wifi connectivity is sluggish.

27) Slippery. This is again a problem with the form factor and build that apple doesn't want to change. It's very easy to drop it given how slippery the metallic surface is.

28) Overheating with 3d games. There's probably something wrong with the cooling, but if you play 3d games for a few hours the device gets uncomfortably hot.

29) Battery takes a very long time to charge (4-5 hours)

BUT

I'm not saying the ipad is a bad tablet. Right now it's easily the best tablet in the market. The problem is that in India it really has too many issues to be a purchase that's really worth it. In fact, *any* tablet is a very questionable purchase in India.

It's ok if you want a casual web reader and it really is the best way to view colorful pdf docs.

Perhaps though, it's far better to wait, or get a smaller laptop, a netbook or a larger smartphone (samsung galaxy note for example), or just stick with your current smartphone. Maybe someday android will catch up and things that are priced competitively and are comparable to the Asus transformer prime will be available.

Last edited:

papul1993

not a newbie.....
Well, I will say your mistake. You should have checked out what it has or doesn't have before buying it. Do it next time instead of running to the store like a monkey the first day it is released. :(

1. 16 GB is small yes. If you wanted more space you should have bought 32 or 64 GB models.
4. The Ipad is a 10 inch tablet Goddamnit!! Not a 4 inch phone that you can stuff in you pocket. And its not meant to be used that way.
10. you are comparing am iOS tablet with a windows PC? Are you high, dude?
12. Call of Duty on a tablet. Please tell me what you are smoking.
18. Flash days are over dude. Its HTML5 now.
21 & 22. Are you f**king kidding me?

Last edited:

setanjan123

In the zone
Hey ipad can multitask! Not like windows. Not even android can do that. Press the circular button with the square on it(idk wat its called. The menu button maybe) 2 times rapidly. You will have a strip at the bottom of screen showing the runnin apps. Now press your finger on any one running app for a few secnds and there you hv it. Small red signs on top of each runnin app. Press the red signs and the app wil be closed. Tinker round a bit.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
yeah correct conclusions nice post +1
ipad2 > new iPad for a variety of reasons inc the smart cover

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
first, the ipad is not a pc! get an android tab

second, you should have done your research before buying it

and finally this is very hypocritical of you, you are willing to shell out thousands of rupees on ipad but want all content to be free, should the developers and others earn nothing for a living?

i mean this is amazing hypocrisy ...

theserpent

Firecracker to the moon
Great?You Thought You can insert CD'S in A tablet :lol:
Yeah there are ways to play PC games via Onlive(Is it onlive or olive?).
Ipad is the best high-end tablet in the market.
You want flash support?Wow,i guess adobe themselves have killed flash for Tablets/mobiles.
(Flash is a battery killer).
So now your saying that the worlds most downloaded game-App angry birds?Did you even browse the App store?You'll surely find good games.
FYI,Not only Ipad all Tablets have similar games.With Ipad having more

20)Connect your Ipad to the computer.And itunes tells that

But i do Agree Apple is to much.Why cant they allow an external SD.For a normal tech-Person 16 Gb is not enough.
I.E Song=4-5 gb
Movies-2 gb
apps-around 10-12 gb.
And in 16 gb only around 14.5/15 gb is usable (As in my 32 gig ipod only 30 gigs is usable)

ssk_the_gr8

But i do Agree Apple is to much.Why cant they allow an external SD.For a normal tech-Person 16 Gb is not enough.
I.E Song=4-5 gb
Movies-2 gb
apps-around 10-12 gb.
And in 16 gb only around 14.5/15 gb is usable (As in my 32 gig ipod only 30 gigs is usable)

if you think 16 gb is not enough for you, get the 32 gb or 64 gb model

theserpent

Firecracker to the moon
I'm not saying the ipad is a bad tablet. Right now it's easily the best tablet in the market. The problem is that in India it really has too many issues to be a purchase that's really worth it. In fact, *any* tablet is a very questionable purchase in India.

+1.Siri isnt worth for India.
Offtopic:
I asked siri(On my uncles phone) Whats the weather like
it replied.Some weird words like eg: "Eine aine pine atia"(Im just saying it said weird stuff).
Then my uncle asked the same thing it said "Sorry i cant find hotels in India" :/
On his 2nd try it replied

if you think 16 gb is not enough for you, get the 32 gb or 64 gb model

But,i just want to know why doesnt apple allow external sds for its devices?

ritvij

rated R
5) tell me which company supports piracy.. apple's apps are a premium but damn better than android.

6) a detachable keyboard ain't the only option.. why didn't you try a demo before buying it...

7) if the touch screen of apple disappoints you.. hats off to you.. have you ever used an iPad?

10) comparing a tablet to windows..huh.. you should have bought yourself a f****ng pc..

12) COD and diablo on iPad?? really you are way to high!

19) to which tablet can you connect a printer or a gamepad?:lol:

20) you know what.. its people like you who damage a company's reputation.. if you needed all this why did not you go for android tab..

21) cd/dvd on a tab.. what you think you are rajnikanth?

22) i use a belkin router costing only 1000 bucks.. it gives me enoiugh coverage on two floors!

ssk_the_gr8

@serpent16
main reason is that people put class 4 miscrosd cards and then complain that the phone/tablet has become slow
apple does not want any compromise in performance of their devices
so they control the whole environment

ritvij

rated R
+1.Siri isnt worth for India.
Offtopic:
I asked siri(On my uncles phone) Whats the weather like
it replied.Some weird words like eg: "Eine aine pine atia"(Im just saying it said weird stuff).
Then my uncle asked the same thing it said "Sorry i cant find hotels in India" :/

on the contrary, if you say it real slow, it will respond clearly!

OP
K

Krystie

Broken In
Well, I will say your mistake. You should have checked out what it has or doesn't have before buying it. Do it next time instead of running to the store like a monkey the first day it is released. :(

1. 16 GB is small yes. If you wanted more space you should have bought 32 or 64 GB models.
4. The Ipad is a 10 inch tablet Goddamnit!! Not a 4 inch phone that you can stuff in you pocket. And its not meant to be used that way.
10. you are comparing am iOS tablet with a windows PC? Are you high, dude?
12. Call of Duty on a tablet. Please tell me what you are smoking.
18. Flash days are over dude. Its HTML5 now.
21 & 22. Are you f**king kidding me?

Saying "flash days" are over is a bullsh1t argument to justify not having it.

I'm comparing tablets to other devices to show how little of a market there is for them, especially in a country like India.

16/32/64GB are all miniscule when you can get hard drives with 1TB or more easily; all you need is USB support to use them. Most tablets don't have this.

Call of duty is just an example. The point is that tablet games are abysmal, and gaming in general on tablets, particularly the ipad is a joke. It's a heavily marketed feature that doesn't even deliver. You can't even play ancient games like super mario 3 even if you want to since apple is completely against emulation.

ssk_the_gr8

I'm comparing tablets to other devices to show how little of a market there is for them, especially in a country like India.

from next time don't make a troll post, emphasize on what you're trying to say
btw, most of your points were lol

nobody forced you to buy the ipad, you should have researched before you bought it. now it's your money wasted.

OP
K

Krystie

Broken In
5) tell me which company supports piracy.. apple's apps are a premium but damn better than android.
Very few companies go out of there way to prevent it. Regardless this isn't the forum to discuss piracy I merely pointed out how unrealistic Apple's stance is in an Indian market.
6) a detachable keyboard ain't the only option.. why didn't you try a demo before buying it...
7) if the touch screen of apple disappoints you.. hats off to you.. have you ever used an iPad?
I generally dislike touch-screens and swype makes it semi-bearable on a smartphone. Why would I post this if I didn't have an ipad ?
10) comparing a tablet to windows..huh.. you should have bought yourself a f****ng pc..
I have a PC obviously, not sure what you're trying to say here.
12) COD and diablo on iPad?? really you are way to high!
It was just an example. Very few mainstream games work on tablets, most of them are casual garbage and legacy games aren't even supported.
19) to which tablet can you connect a printer or a gamepad?:lol:
So what ? It's a problem that's common to all tablets. This is one of the reasons a smaller laptop or netbook is far better.
20) you know what.. its people like you who damage a company's reputation.. if you needed all this why did not you go for android tab..
It's annoying mac fanboys that create a ridiculous hype around an overpriced and inferior fisher price tinker toy product actually.
21) cd/dvd on a tab.. what you think you are rajnikanth?
Watching a DVD on a mobile device isn't asking for too much. Even usb support to watch it on a usb dvd drive would suffice.

22) i use a belkin router costing only 1000 bucks.. it gives me enoiugh coverage on two floors!
I have a D-link wifi modem that's around double that. Many rooms don't get coverage because of brick+cement walls and reinforced concrete pillars and stairs; something that's commonplace in india. There's significant packet loss in wifi in most indian homes unlike 1st world countries where wood is the normal building material.

papul1993

not a newbie.....
Depends on what games you play. Tablets are not meant for FPS games. Same as consoles.

And yes, flash is dead. And I don't want to explain why. There are a number of posts on the Internet explaining this. So I suggest you check it out.

Apple products are premium products. Most Indians can't buy them. And the OP was hinting at installing pirated apps. Really? Pirating $2 apps after buying a $600 tablets?

OP
K

Krystie

Broken In
from next time don't make a troll post, emphasize on what you're trying to say
btw, most of your points were lol

nobody forced you to buy the ipad, you should have researched before you bought it. now it's your money wasted.

Like I said it's a decent web reader and a great pdf reader. I'm just pointing out some of it's flaws. Not sure why you would call that "trolling".

There are clear problems with tablets and problems that are specific to the Indian market. A lot of people refuse to acknowledge these and we have ridiculous hype around technologies like fiver optic internet and 4g, which are totally unrealistic.

And yes, flash is dead. And I don't want to explain why. There are a number of posts on the Internet explaining this. So I suggest you check it out.

Flash is not dead. And I don't want to explain why. There are a number of posts on the Internet explaining this.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
^theres an entirely different way to use the iOS ecosystem
all of these problems are because of expectations of what the device should be
yeah you have to pay for your apps. the best game you can get on the iPad is World of Goo, and it was available for $1 during a sale. You have to watch the store every hour for sales, and that's when you buy the apps
no, dont think of FPS games on a tablet, there are some hack n slash TPS, a few free to play MMORPGS, the racing games are good, but the trend is totally casual/social games so dont expect a good good game with a story and plot you can play-through for hours at home, mostly titles with repetitive gameplay (one rare exception is sword and sworcery EP)
yeah many of the apps are premium, or the HD version costs more
try the podcasts and vidcasts features, you might like it, you can download stuff, watch it, and it gets deleted when new subscribed content gets in. there can be a constant stream of media depending on what you like
dont think of options here, Safari is the best browser, nothing else works because nothing else is as well integrated into the system
apple is in fact leading in the ePub standard, which allows all sorts of rich interactive media to be displayed in eBooks
there are a bunch of apps, that plug into a bunch of free and paid sources
essentially, dont even think of putting your own data from outside sources in the iPad, why would you want to do that? yeah watching gigaresolution photos on the retina display is wonderful, but that novelty fades soon

also what Indian context are you talking about? That people are not willing to shell out for premium apps? lies, there are many people who actually use their idevices as more than cameras, will prolly buy magic harmonica for 6$ or Hanuman Chalisa reader for 13$ and not think abt it

OP
K

Krystie

Broken In
Hey ipad can multitask! Not like windows. Not even android can do that. Press the circular button with the square on it(idk wat its called. The menu button maybe) 2 times rapidly. You will have a strip at the bottom of screen showing the runnin apps. Now press your finger on any one running app for a few secnds and there you hv it. Small red signs on top of each runnin app. Press the red signs and the app wil be closed. Tinker round a bit.

Thanks anyway but do you seriously think I wouldn't be able to figure that out after reading my post ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom