Building a Gaming RiG (40k)

Cilus

laborare est orare
Actually Acer was never such popular as LCD manufacturer and in most of the reviews their monitors are recommended for the value builds.

I think you can also have a look at AOC E2050s 20" LED display. Although I didn't find any direct review of this product, by checking customer reviews, some Cnet overall ratings etc, I can guess that this one is pretty impressive for its price.

Here is the link: AOC LED Monitor Price India, Buy AOC 20 Inch Wide Screen LED - Infibeam.com

OP
RiGOD

RiGOD

SoLa BeLLaToR...
^^Thanks for the suggestion buddy. BTW I'll be buying the SeaSonic S12 II 520 (3.6k) tomorrow. It's enough for the 960T+GTX 560 combo nah? And also Microtek 800VA is the only one I can get. Can it give sufficient backup?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
1075T is not a black edition CPU but can be overclocked over 4 GHz by increasing the Base clock speed. But remember, overclocked Phenoms do consume lots of power, it will be more than 200W for the CPU only.

So get a good PSU and CPU cooler.

you are right, OCed/Stock 1075T will consume more power compared to a OCed/Stock 960T though the power consumption difference should be around 20-50W at stock and OCed speed

Phenom II X6 1100T BE Power Consumption | bit-tech.net

but I think an unlocked + Oced 960T will consume the same amount of power like 1075T ( both running at same OCed clock speed ).

@ OP - if possible get a Corsair GS600 PSU.

OP
RiGOD

RiGOD

SoLa BeLLaToR...
^^Well I'm on a really tight budget. The GS600 costs 800 bucks more. Is it really needed for me? I mean, I'll not be going for a GPU/CPU upgrade in near future. So just let me know if if the SeaSonic 520 can handle 960T + GTX 560 and I'll not be OC'ing both at the same time.

Omi

-=[-_-]=-
520 is fine, the TDP of 1100T as given in the link by topgear is 360-370W @ 4.2ghz
and that system includes 5870, noe 6850 or the 560 will definitely consume less power than 5870. So you have a good 150W overhead even if you OC the CPU.

GS600 is definitely better, but necessary or required, no.

desiJATT

Away from Forums, Again!
Just a word of update, my Phenom X4 960T didn't get unlocked. When I changed the value of CPU Core Unlock to Enabled in BIOS, the system refused to boot. I will sure try it again by tweaking some more settings, but it is very unlikely now that it will get unlocked.

Moreover, don't get the Corsair XMS3 4GB one. The reason is, its rated to run at 1600MHz, but at 1.65V. Ripjaws can run at 1600MHz at 1.5V thus creating lesser heat and more performance.

For power supply, your Seasonic S12II 520W is more than enough for X4 960T + GTX 560 overclocked combo :D

OP
RiGOD

RiGOD

SoLa BeLLaToR...
Just a word of update, my Phenom X4 960T didn't get unlocked. When I changed the value of CPU Core Unlock to Enabled in BIOS, the system refused to boot. I will sure try it again by tweaking some more settings, but it is very unlikely now that it will get unlocked.

Oopsie, ordered a 960T from flipkart. Keeping ma fingers crossed for the extra cores.

Moreover, don't get the Corsair XMS3 4GB one. The reason is, its rated to run at 1600MHz, but at 1.65V. Ripjaws can run at 1600MHz at 1.5V thus creating lesser heat and more performance.

Yeah, already ordered RipjawsX instead of XMS3. Thanks to Cilus for the tip.

For power supply, your Seasonic S12II 520W is more than enough for X4 960T + GTX 560 overclocked combo :D

Thanks for confirming it mate.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next purchase will be UPS and case.

>Local dealer quotes 3k for Microtek 800VA (I know its overpriced but I've got no other go). Is that enough to give 2-3 min backup for my rig?

>I need a case for around 2k. Got my eyes on CM Elite 311 coz of its cable management features. But how about the cooling?

BUMP!!!

Last edited:

desiJATT

Away from Forums, Again!
>>800VA Microtek should cost around 2.6k to 2.9k, 3k is OK, but still it's high.

>>For 2K case, spend a litlle bit more to get the NZXT Source 210 Elite. 311 is a very basic cabinet, but about cooling, that only depends upon the fan configuration. Source 210 comes with 2 fans installed, and has good headroom for future upgrades and best of all, looks great for a budget cabinet. I never recommend anyone the budget CM series like 311, 311 Plus, and sometimes even 431. I simply don't like their over exaggerated looks which do not compliment their build quality.

$$Lionking$$

In the zone
But 1075T is not Black Edition right? Ain't the BE's better for OC'ing, I've read the BE's can OC'ed easily but the ordinary Thubans require some additional procedures;) Is it true?

X6 1075T = 6 core. Non BE. Thuban. 125W. Lower leakage vs 960T.

X4 960T = 4 core. Non BE. Thuban. 95W. Higher leakage vs 1075T.

1075T is not Black Edition but neither is 960T. You should have bought a 1075T for 500 bucks extra.

koolent

Youngling
Bought is bought!!

I think, you should go for NZXT Source 210 Elite, Actually its the best cabinet you will get after extending a mere 500 bucks as it will give you nice cooling and Room + Decent looks and Nice build quality = its an all in one deal bro :).

For the PSU, Get the Seasonic 520W, its giiving you an headroom for good OCing but if you want to be mad with your Phenom, Go ahead for GS 600 From corsair, Fair deal.. :)

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
520 is fine, the TDP of 1100T as given in the link by topgear is 360-370W @ 4.2ghz

and that system includes 5870, noe 6850 or the 560 will definitely consume less power than 5870. So you have a good 150W overhead even if you OC the CPU.

GS600 is definitely better, but necessary or required, no.

but that review link did not include the load power consumption of a HD5870/GTX 560 - granted prime95 can draw power like crazy but games like BFBC2 can max out the cpu usage too on every possible cores with maximum gpu usages .

so the combined gpu ( GTX 560 )+cpu usage while gaming will be around 350W with a 960T and 30-40W more with an unloked 960T.

Now if OP is going to OC the rig the power consumption will jump to around 500W which is more than Seasonic S12 II 520w's rated capacity ( +12v rail ).

Omi

-=[-_-]=-
I suspect it will go more than 400, man 400+ is category a 470/580
He will not be able to OC above 4.5 (he will probably go to 4 which is very safe)
He will peak at 450W , not more than that, very unlikely to go above that.
Furmark shows 560ti at full load in a system with i7(ssd hdd incl) at 350W(320 gaming load)
150W headroom for OC not enough?

Seasonic 520 can provide power upto 588 Watts above which it fails. (forgot review link)

OP
RiGOD

RiGOD

SoLa BeLLaToR...
I'm not a hardcore gamer or OC'er friends. Even if I OC it'll be around 3.5-4GHz (4 atmost). Same with the GPU, I'm not gonna OC it to death, can reduce the detail level or resoultion accordingly for more FPS, I really don't want to blow up my PSU;)

BTW the NZXT Source 210 Elite is not available locally. If I buy online, the cost Including shipping will cross 3k for sure. Let me try the Merc Alpha. If I can buy it that'll be the one. Or else CM Elite 311.

No one commented on the UPS backup. Can the microtek 800VA give 2-3 mins backup for my rig?

1075T is not Black Edition but neither is 960T. You should have bought a 1075T for 500 bucks extra.

You serious buddy? Its not BE?

dfcols71

In the zone
if you have someone coming down from bangalore.Tell him/her to enquire from these guys
Go Gaming! | GolchhaIT.com
the NZXT Source 210 Elite may not be showing in his website,but if you contact
them, i feel you may get it there-b/w they are the biggest dealers of nzxt in south india

desiJATT

Away from Forums, Again!
I specially checked my UPS backup for you. I also have the Microtek 800VA, purchased last week for 2600. My PC specs are in my signature. I did not test it to the fullest (I didn't want the battery to die), but I successfully got past over 3 minutes, and I think it should easily give around 10-15 minute backup to your PC.

OP
RiGOD

RiGOD

SoLa BeLLaToR...
@dfcols71 : Thanks buddy, anyways I ordered BitFenix Merc Alpha from Extreme Grafix.

@desiJATT : Thanks mate, will buy that.

koolent

Youngling
I'm not a hardcore gamer or OC'er friends. Even if I OC it'll be around 3.5-4GHz (4 atmost). Same with the GPU, I'm not gonna OC it to death, can reduce the detail level or resoultion accordingly for more FPS, I really don't want to blow up my PSU;)

BTW the NZXT Source 210 Elite is not available locally. If I buy online, the cost Including shipping will cross 3k for sure. Let me try the Merc Alpha. If I can buy it that'll be the one. Or else CM Elite 311.

No one commented on the UPS backup. Can the microtek 800VA give 2-3 mins backup for my rig?

You serious buddy? Its not BE?

Merc alpha is a nice cabinet too, But still, just try to get NZXT Source 210 online, it will be about 2.6k-2.8k and still be worthy of its price.. :)

Yes, that UPS is sufficient to reach a saving point (Assuming 8-10 mins) but I am sure it can give you more backup.. But you always have the HIBERNATE option ;).. Hope it helps :)

Top Bottom