Antivirus Guide & User Reviews.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
good to see AVira has outperformed Avast in Virus Buletin 2011/04 chart and Avira also has a free version which uses the same engine that is available for commercial version ;-)

Tech.Masti

Wise Old Owl
^^Wow, thats Rs.200/PC/year..... and 2011 key is usable with KIS 2012........so purchase 2011, and use its key with 2012, save of Rs.100 ;)

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
AntiVirus Name: Avira Free 2012
Free or Paid: Free
Price in INR [If Paid]: -
Protection Type: Antivirus & Antispyware

Ratings out of 5.
User Friendly: 4
Detection Rate: 5
Price: 5
Overall: 4.5

Recommend to Use: Yes.
Comments: a bit heavy on the system (i feel 2010 was light). uses ~85Mb memory during scan. use this if you are bored with Avast.

Tech.Masti

Wise Old Owl
^^yes, 2012 is quite heavy than 10.2..... but much lighter than Kaspersky 2012..... and independent antivirus labs gave Avira real good ratings.....

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
AntiVirus Name: Avira Free 2012
Free or Paid: Free
Price in INR [If Paid]: -
Protection Type: Antivirus & Antispyware

Ratings out of 5.
User Friendly: 4
Detection Rate: 5
Price: 5
Overall: 4.5

Recommend to Use: Yes.
Comments: a bit heavy on the system (i feel 2010 was light). uses ~85Mb memory during scan. use this if you are bored with Avast.

thanks for the feedback

still using the fully updated 10.2.0.704 - looks like auto update has not updated it to 12.0.0.849 ( this the version no. of the free 2012 edition - correct me if this is wrong ).

Will manually download and install the 2012 free edition asap ;-)

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
AVG 2012 Free out

Download AVG Free Edition 2012.0.1834 (32-bit) - Technical Details - FileHippo.com

Will be downloading and posting short review in couple of days :)

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
thanks for the feedback

:smile:

still using the fully updated 10.2.0.704 - looks like auto update has not updated it to 12.0.0.849 ( this the version no. of the free 2012 edition - correct me if this is wrong ).

filehippo shows this as latest: AntiVir Personal 12.0.0.861

AVG 2012 Free out

look at the size :|

Will be downloading and posting short review in couple of days :)

one of the rare guys who use AVG :) i stopped using (& recommending AVG) more than a year ago. heavy on the system and a lot of ads/banners.

and independent antivirus labs gave Avira real good ratings.....

only complain about Avira is its scanning speed. i felt it to be a bit slower than Avast. or maybe cause display drivers were not installed. it was done in a freshly installed Win7.

masach315

War4Peace
One of the best antivirus is 'yourself'
I'm just starting to use bitdefender antivirus pro 2011 which is paid copy but luckily got it for free. Let's see what it is all about.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
:smile:

filehippo shows this as latest: AntiVir Personal 12.0.0.861

look at the size :|

one of the rare guys who use AVG :) i stopped using (& recommending AVG) more than a year ago. heavy on the system and a lot of ads/banners.

only complain about Avira is its scanning speed. i felt it to be a bit slower than Avast. or maybe cause display drivers were not installed. it was done in a freshly installed Win7.

^^ thanks for the info - funny thing is the link on Avira's website takes you to cnet's download.com to download the free version and they are still showing they have 12.0.0.849 dated oct 3 ;-)

even softpedia is showing the latest version as 12.0.0.861 last updated on 25th Oct - so from now on if I have to download Avira's latest free version I'll not use the official website instead will get it from softpedia anyway ;-)

Top Bottom