AMD Trinity & Richland APU Discussion

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
re: AMD Trinity & Richland APU Discussion

Somehow I expected Trinity to beat HD4000 :( It was never targeted against HD3000.

it does beat HD4000 is all games except 3. though i was expecting a bigger margin.

Prices as AT expected would be around 30k.

30k with the IGP itself won't be a great pricing as by that time 3rd gen core i3 packed with HD4000 will arrive.

25k would be too less SAM. Only ULV 17W may be available at this price.

ULV are premium parts. Intel ULV processors cost 300$+. so AMD LV/ULV will cost around 200$. no way can we find these at 25k. even 35k look difficult.

so Llano under 27k with a discrete GPU XFired makes more sense.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member

it does beat HD4000 is all games except 3. though i was expecting a bigger margin.

I meant that only, forgot to add.

30k with the IGP itself won't be a great pricing as by that time 3rd gen core i3 packed with HD4000 will arrive.

It fairly beats i3 and even hd4000, so how is 30k pricing bad ? Llano costs around same too. Plus availability may be an issue here too pushing up the prices.

ULV are premium parts. Intel ULV processors cost 300$+. so AMD LV/ULV will cost around 200$. no way can we find these at 25k. even 35k look difficult.

hmm

Monk

Journeyman

Beyond generic benchmarks..
*www.youtube.com/watch?v=obTZESehZS0&

vickybat

I am the night...I am...

Will read the review now. But Sam from what you guys have been saying in this thread, it seems intel has taken gpu business seriously and thus managed to create hd4000 that atleast competes with trinity's graphics power. Competition will definitely produce competeitive prices from both camps.

$$Lionking$$

In the zone

new slides new colours new names - only real change is in performance from BAD to WORSE..

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

It fairly beats i3 and even hd4000, so how is 30k pricing bad ? Llano costs around same too. Plus availability may be an issue here too pushing up the prices.

well yes it beats 2nd gen i3 but when you compare it with HD4000, performance is around 20% more on avg. and AMD was saying 50-56% better graphics performance than Llano (which tied with HD4000). but the real problem will come in 32-35k pricing. at that price hopefully 3rd gen core i5s with HD4000 will appear. now those will be lot faster in computing side and will be 20-50% slower in graphics side depending on the Trinity SKU.

Also i really doubt we'll see A10 within 30k. but most peoples (inc me) will prefer A8 + discrete GPU than having AMD's top APU alone. Another problem for AMD is Llano itself. Llano with much better graphics (read X-Fired) is available under 30k. this is definitely a better VFM product. Though i am not sure how will HD7660 compete against Llano Xfire with GPU like HD6650 since llano's main problem was the processing part.

Will read the review now. But Sam from what you guys have been saying in this thread, it seems intel has taken gpu business seriously and thus managed to create hd4000 that atleast competes with trinity's graphics power. Competition will definitely produce competeitive prices from both camps.

well the top Core i7 45W unit is just a bit slower than Trinity.
*images.anandtech.com/doci/5831/trinity-vs-ivybridge-gaming-new.png

*images.anandtech.com/doci/5831/trinity-vs-llano-gaming-new.png
this pic shows HD7660 vs HD6620. a discrete GPU coupled with 6620 (or any A6 part) should make the swap the result. 20-30% performance for llano.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member

A bit underwhelmed, but give dual graphics Crossfire in 35K and you have a winner for gaming. Stamp "DUAL RADEON GRAPHICS" and idiots will buy.

Good improvement in CPU side (compared to Llano). Between i3-2350M and i5-2410M. The GPU underwhelmed. Battery life is fine and dual core Ivy Bridge shall run hot if it comes out - like I had predicted earlier. ;) (unless sorted)

*images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph5831/46678.png

Will take it over i5 + HD 6630/GT 540M solutions. No shitty dynamic switching drivers - this means no issues in Linux for me. i7-3720QM will be found in 70-80K laptops, and it's not what this thing is gunning for.

eragona

Broken In

I Hope its the AMD driver problem & the result will be improved. Their drivers are still in BETA. And also performance may improve in windows 8.
As all the mobile version of intel are with HD4000 , it will give trinity a good competition. The only thing now looking for is xfire GPU performance and cost Compared to intel. And i dont think they will be that cheap, coz i have seen the A10-4600 costing 800$ by HP in korean market(uses hdd with dGPU 7670)-still a good kit(not 1080 though). Thus SSD version should cost higher.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

Here's some more reviews ;-)

AMD A10-4600M Review: Mobile Trinity Gets Tested : AMD?s Next APU: Trinity

Review: AMD A10-4600M 'Trinity' APU - CPU - HEXUS.net

AMD A10-4600M Trinity For Mobile Review: Trying To Cut The Ivy | PC Perspective

AMD A-Series A10-4600M Notebook Processor - Notebookcheck.net Tech

AMD A10-4600M review | from TechRadar's expert reviews of Processors

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V

Ooh.. nice.. but CPU performance isn't that good.. but IGP performance is awesome.. Waiting for some laptops based on it..

OP
Skud

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member

ECS Gets Ready for AMD Trinity: Unwraps World's First FM2 Mainboard - X-bit labs

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

here you go ;-)

Early MSI socket FM2 motherboard tips up by VR-Zone.com

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

Among GIGABYTE's new motherboard extravaganza, are some of its first socket FM2 motherboards, which based on the new AMD A85 FCH chipset (higher price-points) and previous-generation A55 FCH (lower price-points) and support next-generation "Trinity" APUs. Among these are the high-end F2A85X-UP4 with Ultra Durable 5 construction, mainstream F2A55-DS3, and entry-level F2A55M-DS2 Ultra Durable 1 motherboards......

Read On ..... GIGABYTE Also Shows Off its First Socket FM2 Motherboards | techPowerUp

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

Yesterday Acer showed off a tablet powered by AMD Trinity APU but it was not clear what processor it was using. Today Softpedia hinted that the processor ticking inside the table is a full fledged X86 quad core Trinity (not bobcat as most though initially). Most likely it is the 18W variant we were waiting for since Trinity's launch but was totally kept under wraps as to when we'll see it and where we'll see. 18W looks high but this one will be used in Asus Transformer kind of tablet with docking station so an extra battery in the keyboard dock can save AMD here.

*i.imgur.com/7vmoi.jpg
The intriguing part was how exactly was AMD able to fit a quad core CPU inside such a slim device.
even Intel didn't showed off any quad core IVB or SB ULV proccy based tablets. Surely this one doesn't look the best but AMD made a statement and Intel did notice it, so did others.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

This might be interesting to thhose who are thinking about building a Trinity based destop config ;-)

Computex 2012: AMD Trinity desktops delayed until October - PC & Tech Authority

Cilus

laborare est orare

Good news Guys, Trinity Mobile Processors has already arrived in India, HP has the honor. The Model is HP Pavilion G6-2005AX @ Rs 32,667 in Flipkart.

The Specs are also very good, it comes with:

AMD A8-A4500M @ 1.9 GHz( 4 MB Cache, 2.4 GHz Max Turbo Core, 2 Modules, 4 Integer Core, 2 FPU)
AMD A70M Motherboard
4 GB DDR3 (with one free slot)
SATA 7200 RPM 500 GB HDD
8X Super Multi DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Drive
LED Backlit 15.6" with 1366X768 resolution
ATI Radeon 7670M + AMD Radeon 7640G 1 GB DDR3
0.3 Megapixel Camera
Chicklet Keyboard with Numeric Keypad
Altec Lansing Speakers
1 x USB 2.0, 2 x USB 3.0
Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium
Weight 2.47 Kg
Dimension 375.9 x 244 x 36.3 mm

Here is the link: HP Pavilion G6-2005AX Laptop AMD A8 Quad Core/4GB/500GB/Win 7 HB/1GB Graphics: Flipkart.com: Compare, Review HP Notebook

This is the launch price and there is a further chance of reduction. The main attraction is going to be (HD 7670M + 7640G) Crossfire setting and I think most of the DirectX 11 and 10 games will be playable at high setting @ 1366X768 resolution. Also the processor is more than enough for day to day's work and almost equal to Mobile Sandybridge I3 counter parts.

At this budget the best Intel options are Core i3 2350M + GT 520MX laptops and definitely this AMD option is much attractive, especially considering the Dual Graphics and quad core processor + Excellent battery life.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

@cilus, Trinity laptops are here <--- trinity laptop discussion thread :)

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

now for a Trinity desktop APU we may need to wait upto Christmas ;-)
AMD Trinity Desktop Chip Schedule Challenges Mobo Makers

Top Bottom