AMD Trinity & Richland APU Discussion

TheLetterD

Will Power
I compared the image of the socket on my Motherboard from ASUS's website to a leaked image of the FM2+ socket. The extra pin holes arnt there :cry:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
All that love I had for AMD, gone down the drain.
:C
I bought a 6K motherboard for an entry level system for this very reason that Ill be able to upgrade the APU to a Kaveri one.
Sigh.
I remember that people were talking about being able to upgrade their AM2 to AM2+ and AM3 to AM3+ with a Bios update.
Ah well.
For my future build, Intel Haswell it is.

this all means business now .. new socket equals to new socket and the result is more profit .. same goes true for socket 1150 that you are looking for ;-)

TheLetterD

Will Power
:(
Anyways, was anyone from TDF at the AMD2020 Gaming2020 Techno Graffiti event in Bangalore? Heard they handed out 2 Richland A10 APUs and 2 of the new FX9XXX Processors. They also officially 'Launched' them here, so I guess we will see them on online stores soon?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
here's the available RichLand Apus ;-)

AMD A10-6800K Richland 4.1GHz Socket FM2 100W Quad-Core Desktop Processor - Black Edition AMD Radeon HD AD680KWOHLBOX
AMD A8-6600K Richland 3.9GHz Socket FM2 100W Quad-Core Desktop Processor - Black Edition AMD Radeon HD AD660KWOHLBOX

Cilus

laborare est orare
Mobile Richland review in out in Anandtech. Check the A10-5750M review here: AnandTech | AMD's A10-5750M Review, Part 1: The APU and Radeon HD 8650G Performance

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can only some minor improvement but otherwise completely agree with the conclusion part and waiting for part 2. Anyway, thanks for sharing.

Cilus

laborare est orare
Topgear, in Mobile Processor platform, A10-5750M sometimes performed more than 20% over Trinity flagship A10-4600M. As per the reviewers, probably this time AMD has forced more on CPU Turbo than GPU Turbo and as a result the the extra Turbo Boost frequency is clearly working for Richland. I have checked several reviews of A10-4600M and A8-4500M and most of them have mentioned that these two trinity processors never achieved their highest Turbo frequency, even when put under lots of stress and the reason was probably improper load balancing between CPU and GPU. In Richland, I guess AMD has worked on this part and at least this time Richland is performing well compared to the 3rd Gen i5 and probably 4th Gen i5 Processors (i7 ULVs are basically Dual Core HT modules, not quad Core).

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Highly promising results, considering it still uses VLIW. Steamroller will be a massive improvement and is the chip to look forward to.
It even promises Haswell level TDP in laptops. If steamroller can pull this off, then it can have a significant share of the pie.

Cilus

laborare est orare
Looks like APU is the choice of the overclockers now. A10-6800K is now overclocked to 8.2 GHz. Check here:
AMD A10-6800K APU Overclocked to Record Breaking 8.2GHz
CPU-Z Validator 3.1

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
I am currently running an E450 APU based mini notebook from Samsung. I like its light weight. Initially I thought it would give me a long battery life but practically I am getting around ~4 hours with battery charging limited to 80%.

What from the future crop of these processors could be expected to give a better performance battery life wise while enhancing the processing significantly? I am interested in the CPU performance more than the GPU at present.

TheLetterD

Will Power
Getting a HD6670 2GB DDR3 for free(YAY!) from a friend.

Need to know if it will perform better than my AMD A10 5800K (1600 MHz 8 Gigs RAM)'s HD7660D chip or will the performance bump be not that significant?

Also, what about the Dual Graphics performance with a DDR3 6670?

I remember reading an article where they did a test with a DDR3 one but I forgot which one was it and I cant find it now.
:(

Top Bottom