AMD Trinity & Richland APU Discussion

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
On track for release in Q1 2012:-

AMD Reiterates Plans to Launch Fusion "Trinity" APU Very Early Next Year - X-bit labs

AMD’s second-generation code-named Trinity APU for mainstream personal computers (Comal for notebooks and Virgo for desktops) will be made using 32nm SOI HKMG process technology at Globalfoundries. The APU will feature up to four x86 cores powered by enhanced Bulldozer/Piledriver architecture, AMD Radeon HD 7000-series "Southern Islands" graphics core with DirectX 11-class graphics support, DDR3 memory controller and other improvements. The chips will be compatible with new FM2 infrastructure.

According to a slide that resembles those from AMD's presentations published by a web-site, AMD projects Trinity's Piledriver x86 cores to offer up to 20% higher performance compared to Husky x86 cores inside Llano. In addition, the newly-architected DirectX 11 graphics core will provide up to 30% higher speed in graphics applications, such as video games. The 20% speed improvement represents AMD's projections "using digital media workload" and actual performance advantage over currently available Fusion A-series "Llano" vary depending on the applications and usage models. It is unclear whether AMD used an early silicon (which it has at hands) for its projections or makes its predictions based on theoretical data.

OP
Skud

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
re: AMD Trinity & Richland APU Discussion

More juicy AMD Trinity details emerge

*i1-news.softpedia-static.com/images/news2/AMD-Trinity-APU-Specs-Revealed-in-New-Leaked-Slides-6.jpg

CPU clock up to 3.8 GHz, 4.1 GHz on Turbo and 710 MHz for Graphics core - impressive numbers indeed.

*i1-news.softpedia-static.com/images/news2/AMD-Trinity-APU-Specs-Revealed-in-New-Leaked-Slides-3.jpg

Difference between two platforms - just a single pin, once again. ;) And Turbo core extended to GPU too. Guess it's gonna break few IGP records.

*i1-news.softpedia-static.com/images/news2/AMD-Trinity-APU-Specs-Revealed-in-New-Leaked-Slides-4.jpg

Hard to tell the difference. The left one is Trinity.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!

^^ Nice to see the tag 'AMD confidential' tag in that picture of your post. ;)

OP
Skud

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member

Hi Hi. ChipHell do all sorts of hellish things. ;)

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!

^^ Above all, these kind of words sounds winked.They should have erased that line before publishing this.. Reason might be political.. :unsure:

OP
Skud

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member

That gives it a bit official look. ;)

rajan1311

Padawan

lets hope its on track...whats the shader count expected on the next gen?

vickybat

I am the night...I am...

^^ They won't be gcn and will be based on vliw4. I recon it would be around 480 sps.

OP
Skud

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member

Q1 2012 as per latest reports.

Couldn't resist to post here:- :lol:

*techreport.com/r.x/2011_11_15_Execution/comic-20111114-big.png

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard

LOL, Trinity is launching VERY EARLY 2012, maybe at the same timeframe as Ivy Bridge, i.e. March 2012.

And it's gonna use PileDriver a.k.a. Enhanced Bulldozer architecture.

Makes me wonder why AMD released Phail Bulldozer in the first place. They could have shrunk Phenom II to 32nm, clocked it to 4Ghz and it would have been both cheaper, and performed better.

ranjitsd

Journeyman

LOL, Trinity is launching VERY EARLY 2012, maybe at the same timeframe as Ivy Bridge, i.e. March 2012.

And it's gonna use PileDriver a.k.a. Enhanced Bulldozer architecture.

Makes me wonder why AMD released Phail Bulldozer in the first place. They could have shrunk Phenom II to 32nm, clocked it to 4Ghz and it would have been both cheaper, and performed better.

thats why intel rules, buyers need performace

OP
Skud

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member

GloFlo is having problems with 32nm. Shrinking Phenom II would have only resulted in additional burden. AMD is moving in the right direction with Trinity, its a new socket/chipset with no backward compatibility. Call of the hour I would say.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member

PCIe 3.0 hardly matters anyways. Graphic cards can't even max out PCIe 2.0 X8.

Top Bottom