AMD Bulldozer News and Discussion

skeletor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some good news coming.

Asustek to Support Future AMD FX "Bulldozer" Chips on Current Mainboards - X-bit labs

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
^^ good news for the old guys that feel their processor (K10.5) is already aged & needs an upgrade. but it'll surely have more than 1 limitations.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
here's a little bit more and the price is just awesome ;-)

ASRock AM3 Bulldozer Motherboard Gets Listed in Japan - Softpedia

max_snyper

Maximum Effort!!!!!!
^^ IF they are avaliable in India around april and priced similarly to japan then surely gone buy this board....
BTW In cebit 2011 all the manufactures told tha the 8xx series chipset will have full support to the bulldozers when they are launched,Its better to buy tested mobo now with a quad and upgrade later to bulldozers.
The only missing link here is hypertransport 3.1 (6400mhz),as all the 8xx series support hypertransport 3.0,the other features are the same.

ajai5777

Youngling
But they tell only about 8series AM3 boards.What about 785G AM3 ? Will there be any BD's to support in my board with limited features?

kamal_saran

android lover
so is it good that if i buy a 880 series mobo then i can later upgrade it with bulldozer or llano apu's :D

hey guys see this

X-bit labs has a (pretty massive) scoop of AMD info to share with us this week, as it has put together the above chart detailing what it expects the company's APU roadmap will look like for the remainder of the year. Published a couple of days ago, this data has now been partially corroborated by the snoops over at DigiTimes, who confirm a couple of the model names and agree that AMD is planning an initial Q3 rollout of five Llano chips, to be followed by even more processors coming in Q4 of 2011. Llano represents AMD's play for the performance crown, coming as it does with dual- or quad-core processing units, DirectX 11-capable Radeon HD 6000-series graphics, and a dual-channel DDR3 memory controller, all bundled up inside the same warm and toasty package. More E-series APUs for power-conscious users are also said to be on the cards, and AMD itself should be making these plans official at Computex in Taipei come early June. It's a bit of a wait, but we've got a feeling it'll be worth it. Source : X-bit labs

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
But they tell only about 8series AM3 boards.What about 785G AM3 ? Will there be any BD's to support in my board with limited features?

I'm also interested to know about this though my guess is mobo manufacturers will release some bios update to support bulldozers.

lordirecto

In the zone
It seems like you all are forgetting that there is a chipset that Intel is going to release in early April, called Z68. Makes me wonder if it is going to be a overkill of sorts against AMD.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
In cebit 2011 all the manufactures told tha the 8xx series chipset will have full support to the bulldozers when they are launched

they told? till AMD themselves doesn't open their mouth, can't take manufacturer's word seriously. though it looks possible. after all its electronics. can be implemented in different ways.

a common example is no ACC on 8series chipsets. but manufacturers released their own core unlockers. if 8series supports Llano (wish 78X & 79X too) it'll shut the mouth of critics for good & hopefully for a long time.

It seems like you all are forgetting that there is a chipset that Intel is going to release in early April, called Z68. Makes me wonder if it is going to be a overkill of sorts against AMD.

AMD 9XX vs Intel Z68? can they be compared? direct comparison is not possible & shouldn't be compared until AMD releases or confirms details on their Llano chips & their chipsets. even then, its better to compare platform wise, not individual parts.

max_snyper

Maximum Effort!!!!!!
^^ There is no news from the amd side,but its upto the manufacturers what and how they want to implement...gigabyte,asrock,msi and somewhat asus have changed their proccy socket from am3 to am3+ on their current lineup of 8-series motherboards.
Guyz with the old chipsets(7xx series) u all are missing the fact that the bulldozer processors have 1 pin more that makes these processor incompatible with am3 sockets...
unless the manufacturers comeup with a release of mobos (7xx series) with am3+ socket.

The only difference between 9xx series mobos and current 8xx series mobos
1.hyper link transport 3.1 present in 9xx series mobos.(not much of the difference as against hyper transport 3.0)
2.uefi bios.
3.better communication between north bridge and following chipset.
4.As for the memory controller its in the processors now-a-days..;-)
IMO its better to invest in established technology then to believe in upcoming such as the p67/h67 sata problem.
what a user of amd platform can do is get these 8 series boards,invest in a good hex/quad core processors, as bulldozers establish themselves he can change it to 6~8 core bulldozer later. quite a good upgrade path.

PS. launch date for 8 series motherboards with am3+ socket is in april by most of the manufacturers.Good for people buying amd systems at that point of time.

Last edited:

lordirecto

In the zone
^ Early adoption has its own benefits as well as pitfalls. Let me point out that established technology will get outdated faster than the upcoming technology. So choose if you want a future proof computer or not. The end decision is yours as the computer belongs to you.

max_snyper

Maximum Effort!!!!!!
^^ Its not necessary that upcoming technology will always outdate establish technology...and BTW in terms of technology nothing is "future proof"....technology is and always be evolving...it was just i was suggesting a upgrade path for the users who will buy their pc in month of april/may..they cannot wait any longer...coz bulldozer will take time to reach our shores and top of that it will take time for prices to settle down in India...somewhere down to q3~q4 of this year.

slashragnarok

In the zone
IMO, no matter what AMD comes up with Intel will always have an upper hand(performance wise). Only things that can save AMD are fanboys and pricing.

skeletor

Super Moderator
Staff member
IMO, no matter what AMD comes up with Intel will always have an upper hand(performance wise). Only things that can save AMD are fanboys and pricing.
what was the case of Intel before 2006 i.e. before Core 2 came in?? what was the state of nVidia before from 2008 to late-2010?? ATi before 38xx?? All it takes is a successful redesign and things can get back on track.

lordirecto

In the zone
@max: True to some extent. But the end decision lies with the buyer. Neither you nor me can make people do what we want to.

@ico: True, I am really hoping that AMD will get the upperhand this time, atleast in India :D

Top Bottom