AMD Bulldozer News and Discussion

skeletor

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you meet any Intel fanboys anywhere, just tell them that Sandy Bridge is an amd64 processor. :mrgreen: Had it not been for amd64, we wouldn't have been able to enjoy 32-bit applications without any performance penalty.

utkarsh009

In the zone
If you meet any Intel fanboys anywhere, just tell them that Sandy Bridge is an amd64 processor. :mrgreen: Had it not been for amd64, we wouldn't have been able to enjoy 32-bit applications without any performance penalty.

really! you mean all 64-bit proccys are amd64 architecture?

skeletor

Super Moderator
Staff member
really! you mean all 64-bit proccys are amd64 architecture?
well, Intel developed x86 instruction set which was pre-dominantly used in 16-bit and 32-bit processors by both Intel and AMD.

Then Intel developed a 64-bit processor named "Itanium" which used IA-64 architecture. This was incompatible with old x86 instruction sets which would mean 32-bit applications would have been "emulated" with performance penalty if we wanted to run them. AMD didn't like this.

So, what AMD did, they extended x86 to x86-64 aka amd64 which is a 64-bit architecture backwards compatible with x86 (32-bit) and released Athlon 64. Now we all know Athlon 64 was a huge success and made Pentium 4 look like a joke. And the good thing was, you could run 32-bit OS/softwares on it without any performance penalty and you could also run 64-bit OS/softwares too. ;)

Intel had to give in and instead of using Itanium's IA-64, they implemented x86-64/amd64 with minor changes in Core 2 and called it EM64T/Intel 64.

So, basically this is the reason why you can use Windows 7 32-bit on your Core i3, i5 and i7 processors despite they're 64-bit processors. You can't do this with Itanium processors.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ and those kind of people still believe that AMD CPU has heating issues - what an epic misconception ;-)

@ pauldmps - nice post - I really liked those box arts - they are even more good looking than windows 7 box arts and those reminds us of legendary FX series ;-)

kamal_saran

android lover
yeah bro graphics on boxes are killer. Boxes are like this then inside them will be a legend. I think now amd will show intel earth after launching of bulldozer. :)

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
^^ really wish there exist an universal socket.

@all, Amd's 8 core price is shown to be 700$+ & it is up against a 250-300$ Core i7 2600. typo?

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
i think universal socket is possible by 2013-14, if AMD & Intel integrate SB onto processor die. this looks possible in <20nm architecture.

Top Bottom