AMD Bulldozer News and Discussion

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
@Piyush

Black Edition in AMD parlance refer to CPU with unlocked multiplier. These must be some beast of CPU!!! Probably we are going to see the first 4GHz processor. Can't wait.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD7

*semiaccurate.com/assets/uploads/2011/05/Gigabyte_GA-990FXA-UD7.jpg

It looks like Bulldozer is close, really close, and the 990FX boards for it look are more or less done. That said, here is a look at the Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD7.

What you are seeing is the first AMD based UD7 board, the high end line from Gigabyte. It has an AMD 990FX chipset, AM3+ socket, and 6 PCIe 16x slots. To top it off, when was the last time you saw a board with both 4-way CrossfireX and 4-way SLI? It looks like the Nvidia exclusive lockout licenses just went poof. Isn’t that sad?

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD7

If 4 GPUs isn’t enough, the UD7 has six PCIe slots, although all do not have the full bandwidth. One chrome-plated-nothing to the first person that does 3-way crossfire AND 3-way SLI on this board at the same time. Yay stupid hardware tricks. Should that not be enough, there is a PCI slot to add something really old to the mix. Depending on where Bulldozer ends up for performance, this could be the basis of a killer gaming system.

On top of that, there are the usual Gigabyte features, 2x copper PCB, dual BIOS, and lots of USB3 ports. The USB3 ports are all 3x power, and coloured red for USB2, blue for USB3. Should you want more, the board has firewire, eSATA, optical audio, and all the usual features.

The last little bit is quite cool, a little connector between just to the left of the SATA ports. It looks like a SATA power plug because it is a SATA power plug. You put an extra SATA power cable in to it, and it feeds power to the GPUs/slots to keep overclocked or power hungry boards nicely fed. The GA-990FXA-UD7 looks like a very interesting enthusiast board if Bulldozer comes through. We will know soon

Source

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some update here:-

AnandTech - Computex 2011: ASRock Llano, 990FX and Z68 Motherboards

AMD originally wanted to launch Bulldozer at Computex but performance issues with its B0 and B1 stepping chips pushed back the launch. Now we're looking at a late July launch with B2 silicon, but performance today is a big unknown. Apparently the performance of B1 stepping silicon doesn't look too good.

Performance problems???

vaibhav23

In the zone
*tech2.in.com/news/motherboards/computex-2011-asus-may-show-amd-bulldozer-in-action/222052
Asus is showing its new motherboard

Last edited:

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
**tech2.in.com/news/motherboards/computex-2011-asus-may-show-amd-bulldozer-in-action/222052
Asus is showing its new motherboard

Edit your link. * has been typed twice.

More bad news:-

AMD May Delay Launch of FX-Series "Zambezi" Microprocessors - X-bit labs

*www.xbitlabs.com/images/news/2011-05/amd_bulldozer_launch.jpg

Image taken from xbitlabs.com.

POST ADDED
Some more update:-

AMD Needs to Boost Clock-Speed of FX "Bulldozer" Chips - Sources - X-bit labs

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Check this out :

The 990FX Chipset Arrives: AMD And SLI Rise Again : 990FX: Socket AM3+ Meets SLI

though they have used a Phenom II X4 980 BE cpu the review worth a visit ;-)

max_snyper

Maximum Effort!!!!!!
^^ i agree with u you topgear....the review is worth a visit but the 990fx chipset not more than a re-badge of 8xx series chipset...no native usb 3.0....no full x16 lanes for dual..triple video configs...wat we are getting is sli qualification,what does it has to do with the scorpius platform???
and couldnt test the motherboard at its best form coz we dont have the BD chips...
"Damn you AMD"....it has been one year since bulldozer has been disclosed.
And how lame is that the reviewer uses quads to review and not using oct core phenoms...
Just my take on the amd business policy...got bored of waiting for the bulldozer platform.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Stay tuned to get bored for another 3-4 months. It won't coming before September.

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
^^ i agree with u you topgear....the review is worth a visit but the 990fx chipset not more than a re-badge of 8xx series chipset...no native usb 3.0....no full x16 lanes for dual..triple video configs...wat we are getting is sli qualification,what does it has to do with the scorpius platform???
and couldnt test the motherboard at its best form coz we dont have the BD chips...
"Damn you AMD"....it has been one year since bulldozer has been disclosed.
And how lame is that the reviewer uses quads to review and not using oct core phenoms...
Just my take on the amd business policy...got bored of waiting for the bulldozer platform.

a correction -
a 990 fx chipset supports 42 pcie lanes.
thus dual card setup get 16 lanes each
and tri setup gets 16 8 8 atleast.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just missed it... thanks for pointing out, Jas. ;) Absence of USB 3.0 is bewildering though.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ The southbridge lacks the usb 3.0 interfacing but i guess they will incorporate them in production mobos.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
It has been incorporated but no native support is there. That's kinda baffling.

max_snyper

Maximum Effort!!!!!!
ok...may be wrong about the 990fx but im right about 970...990x one has x16 single and other has 8x+8x dual...i mean whose gonna buy 990fx everyday but they are of no use coz they are as same as the 800 series counter part....nothing new in the technology,
8xx series also has now-a-days uefi bios.
grow up intel and amd....stop fooling customers...if got the chance i would tell them..;-)

baccilus

Cyborg Agent
FX-8130P oced to 6GHz using liquid nitrogen
Bulldozer details in CPU-Z

One of the comments say:

CPUZ 1.57.1 does not support Bulldozer nor Zambezi-FX. Thus, the “FX” logo should not even exist. Check here CPUID - System & hardware benchmark, monitoring, reporting

Read more: AMD Bulldozer "FX-8130P" Overclocked to 6Ghz using Liquid Nitrogen, CPU-z Details inside

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
But many cpus reached 6 Ghz and beyond with LN2 - so there's nothing surprising.
I'm looking forward for some real review/benchmark test to see how far it can go with air coolers.

rajan1311

Padawan
Phenoms 2 have done 7GHz+ on LN2....so its really sad, cos even with 32nm, BD just reached 6GHz...guess they are clocked low just like the original Phenom series... :(

Top Bottom